Ending Page

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Eyes take in the dreary scenery as soon as she steps out of the building. Hands automatically wrap around her torso, pulling her coat close to her body. She waits, but she does not wait long. A car pulls over before her, the window of the driver’s seat lowering to reveal a familiar face. “Get in,” a curt command and she never hesitates to head over to the passenger’s side, entering the vehicle without much of a word.

 

Silence envelopes them as the couple leaves the vicinity. Soojung’s eyes ghost over the driver’s face, before a sigh leaves her lips, and her attention shifts to the rain-kissed windows. As the kaleidoscope of buildings, cars, and people pass her view, her thoughts wander to the wilderness of the past – a very distant past. She wonders where everything had fallen apart and when it had started.

 

Cold fingers trace the droplets rolling down the opposite side of the window like tears. A pang of sadness embraces Soojung’s thoughts as she recalls their argument this morning. Head turns, gaze landing on the driver whose eyes remain locked on the road, purposely ignoring her presence. She bites her lower lip, as the upset feeling churns her stomach. She feels awkward in her partner’s presence now.

 

Hesitantly, “J-Jinri…” Soojung calls the driver’s name, her voice almost a whisper. A frown appears on Jinri’s face, hands clench over the wheel as the car stops before a red light. “What?” the driver asks in a terse manner, making Soojung flinch. Jinri’s eyes meet hers and Soojung feels so small in those dark orbs.

 

“I-” Soojung does not know what to say, “N-Nothing.” She turns her face away from her companion, silently chastising herself for disturbing Jinri. The gloomy atmosphere between them begins to worsen and Soojung finds herself lost in the sea of silent tears. She fully turns toward the window, away from her companion, afraid that Jinri might see her vulnerable state.

 

As she furtively wipes away the tears, she reminisces a time when everything had been perfect. She remembers those beautiful days; the times when they were still madly and deeply in love. Those were the moments when Jinri would surprise her with a back hug every time she went out of classes; times when their nights would be heated with lust and passion inside her older sister’s apartment with the thrills of being caught in the act. Those were the times - times long past and now Soojung can only weep quietly over the dying cinders of their love.

 

The car halts and she hears Jinri turn the engine off. She moves, exiting the car with her head lowered. Feet automatically carry them to their front door, which had once been a warm and cozy home. Now, Soojung cannot find the words to describe it. The walls have become constant witnesses to their never-ending arguments and fights.

 

She sits awkwardly across Jinri, a bowl of rice and some ro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter