Let’s Try

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Head pounds as the loud beats explode in her ears. A grimace appears across her face as she strays away from the loud music, dodging drunkards and party animals along the dance floor. She slips onto a stool by the bar, eyes scanning the crowd of people mingling with each other, loosening themselves to the crazed beats. She groans. This is not to her liking. She hates these things, but she has no choice.

 

She and her older sibling were invited to this upscale party and she could not refuse the offer. Had she been given a choice, she would have opted for a quiet movie night with her sister at home, not in some noisy place where drugs, alcohol, and smoke thrive to pollute everyone’s souls.

 

Taking a sip of the champagne placed before her, Soojung searches the room for her sister, whom she spots like a hawk within a few seconds. The older one is busy interacting with older women; a glass of red wine in her hand. A sigh escapes Soojung’s lips as she finds herself drowning in boredom for lack of company. She needs her escape, her solitude, and her silence, but she cannot find it here.

 

“Hey,” someone comes up beside her, plopping down the stool to her left. Soojung shifts her attention to the stranger, eyes locking on the newcomer. “Hi.” Soojung retorts with a disinterested tone before shifting her attention to her champagne, taking a sip of the sparkling liquid, easing the alcohol down .

 

The stranger remains welcoming, unfazed by her unenthusiastic reply. “You seem bored; need some company?” Soojung quirks a brow, “What made you think I’m bored?” The stranger’s smile widens, “You don’t seem to revel in the music or mingle with the crowd.”

 

“And do you think I need your company? I don’t even know you.”

 

“I’m sorry about that.” The figure lends out her hand, “My name’s Jinri. Choi Jinri.”

 

Soojung eyes her outstretched hand, pondering on whether to take it or not. She decides to cut the stranger some slack and shakes it lightly, introducing herself as she releases Jinri’s hand. “Jung Soojung.”

 

“Jung Soojung,” Jinri’s eyes twinkle in delight, “That’s a beautiful name for a beautiful stranger. So, what brings you here to the party? You don’t seem to be the party-going type.”

 

Soojung shifts to her half-filled glass of champagne. “I’m here on business. My sister and I were invited to partake in this event just in hopes of gaining connections with potential collaborators.” Eyes land on Jinri’s unwavering smile before she resumes with her story, “My sister seems to be doing well on her own and so, here I am, bored to death. As much as I want to leave, I can’t.”

 

“I know of a place close by where you can have your peace.” Jinri replies, her innocent smile still plastered over her face. “If you’d like, you can come with me.”

 

The Jung eyes her with suspicion, “If you’re trying to get into my pants, you’re dealing with the wrong person. I’m not interested.”

 

Jinri raises her brows before chuckling, “You’re interesting, Ms. Jung. But I’m not trying to get into your pants. I just wanted out, like you.” Soojung smiles back at her, “Being interesting runs in the family.” 

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, but I won’t fill you in with the details. I leave it up to you to investigate. Anyway, you might get bored keeping me company. I’m not one for ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter