Heavenly Voice

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: This was back in Sept. 2011, a few months after I had received my Bachelor's degree and had taken a license exam. Pretty old story, but someone had reminded me of this last night. So, I decided to share this here. :) Enjoy the read! 

 

 

Jessica Jung lived a happy normal life. She had a decent home, loving parents, and a fortune to inherit. Her life was almost perfect until one fateful night. 

Little Jessica had just been lulled to sleep in her bed when a harsh noise disturbed her. Curiosity got the better of her as she headed downstairs to investigate. To her shock, she found what had been causing the ruckus that had awakened her. 

It was a figure standing over two bodies in the middle of what used to be their living room which was now a huge mess. Jessica’s gaze fell on the immobile figures sprawled on the floor. One of them was that of her father while the other one was her mother. It had seemed that her father had given up his life to protect her mother from the stranger who now stood in the middle of the room. 

But seeing the lifeless bodies of her parents now, Jessica came to a conclusion that her father’s sacrifice was somehow wasted. She had wanted to cry and she had wanted revenge on the killer but what could she do? She was just a helpless five-year-old.

The killer turned to her, revealing a face to the stunned child. Another surprise came her way when she got a full view of the killer’s face. It was a young woman not just any wench that would appall Jessica, but a beautiful young lady probably in her twenties. She had skin as smooth and white as porcelain and her alluring brown eyes seduced the victims’ only daughter. The killer’s silky brown hair flowed smoothly past her shoulders and it oscillated like the pendulum as she made her way towards the frightened girl. 

Jessica knew Death was going to claim her if she didn’t do anything. She tried to move her feet but they seemed to be rooted to the floor. She just stood there as Death neared her with a soft smile playing on her lips. Adrenaline pumped into her veins when Death came within an arm’s reach. 

The five-year-old girl managed to gather strength onto her legs before moving away from the calm figure approaching her. She stumbled up the stairs and hastily sped to her room making sure to lock the door to prevent Death from coming in. 

Jessica was traumatized. She hid under her blankets and hugged her pillow tight. Tears were now forming in her eyes and soon, soft sobs were heard. The young girl heard a soft click from the door. She shivered in fright knowing that Death was entering her room without a hitch. 

She could hear the footsteps coming towards her as she buried herself deeper into her pillow, muffling her soft cries of despair. Jessica knew her fate was sealed when she felt the weight on the bed shift. Cold hands touched her warm body as she anticipated her own end. 

But instead of the stinging pain that Death would have dealt, Jessica heard a voice singing to her. She thought her fear and despair was making her delirious as the voice continued to produce a melody that she will never forget.

“The reason why a flower dies…” the heavenly voice of Death sang. 

Jessica felt herself being held by the hand. 

“The reason why a feather falls…”

The child felt herself being lifted by the cold hands. Jessica deemed herself helpless although Death didn’t do anything harmful to her yet. 

“The reason why the wind blows ahead…” 

Jessica realized she was being led into an embrace. Death’s unprecedented action surprised her. 

“The reason why the night returns…”

Death’s heartbeat made little Jessica relax. She felt the warmth from within the cold body that was hugging her. The child felt like she was being betrayed by her own body as she rested in the murderer’s embrace. Her mind had wanted her to resist the comfort that was being offered to her, but her body was unwilling to yield to the request. 

“The reason why you become stronger like this…”

Then, her eyes became heavy as Death’s heavenly voice lulled her to sleep. 

The last thing that Jessica heard before she finally resigned to slumber were the last lines that Death had sung for her: 

“Is so you can protect someone someday...”
 

***


The next morning, Jessica found herself waking up in an unfamiliar bed. Her surroundings were different from that of her own house. The child got up and began exploring her new environment. Through the windows, she was able to see a lot of children playing around. 

Jessica found herself dazed for a moment as she tried to remember the events prior to her slumber. Then, she recalled the voice of Death; the sweet voice of the one who murdered her parents and the same voice of the person who chose to spare her life and brought her to this orphanage. 

On that morning, the young girl named Jessica vowed to avenge her parents.
 

***


Fifteen years have passed since Jessica’s life has changed. She had been living two different lives –college student by day and vigilante by night. She had changed so much over the years but there was one resolve that remained with her as she grew up and it was to confront her parents’ murderer. 

Every night after finishing her studies, the vibrant 20 year old would jump out of her window and perch on top of the buildings in search for trouble. She had hoped to meet her parents’ killer on one of those nights but much to her dismay, she couldn’t seem to find the person she was looking for. 

She always fought thugs, serial killers, and robbers every night. She brought each and every one of them to justice until the officers would find them tied up in the mornings wondering who was behind them. 

Tonight was nothing special as Jessica lazily changed into her black outfit and mask to keep her identity a secret. She took her sword before leaping through the window and landing on a dark alley unharmed. The vigilante proceeded to patrol the dark path disappearing into the night. 

She later found herself climbing one of the rooftops and surveying the city’s nightly activities. Jessica’s eyes came upon a familiar figure strutting down a dangerous alley where a lot of scoundrels lurked. She resolved to herself that it couldn’t be her – the murderer. She patiently waited for trouble to come before making her move. 

A group of gangsters revealed themselves before the young woman who stood calmly in their presence. The gang was quite intimidating with their chains, tattoos, and knives ready to scare the wits out of their victim. But despite the dire situation that the young lady was in, she remained calm and a dorky grin came to her face. 

This confused the men around her as they came closer to the lone woman. Jessica was prepared to come to her rescue from the rooftops but then, something unexpected happened. The young woman whose face was similar to her parents’ killer singlehandedly killed every one of the men who tried to take advantage of her. 

Jessica saw the gang of criminals crumble before her eyes under the unearthly strength of the young woman. She now came to a decision to confront this odd person as she climbed off her perch to interrogate the young lady. As she came closer, the young lady’s face began to unveil itself and Jessica saw a hint of familiarity in her face – it was Death, her parents’ killer. 

“You?!” Jessica said as she caught the lady’s attention. Dark alluring eyes met hers and she finally confirm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter