Raison d'être (Part 13)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13

 

“Soojung was meant to die. Many people wanted her dead…even our own parents. Her grandparents.”

 

The statement shocks Miyoung; eyes widen and mouth opens at the revelation.

 

“Soojung is our first-born, our eldest.” Sooyeon continues as she gently caresses her belly, “But she was not welcomed into the family when our parents first found out about me and Taeyeon. My father caught us in the office. He calmly accepted our relationship, but later I found out I was pregnant with Taeyeon’s child the day after our families discovered our relationship. Taeyeon and I were ecstatic when we found out, but our parents wanted the child gone. They did not want their reputations compromised because of my unplanned pregnancy.”

 

Miyoung stiffens in her seat. It is too much to take, but she continues listening as Sooyeon recounts her tale. 

 

“We ran away from home and stayed somewhere here in Jeju. We had both decided to keep Soojung no matter what and our parents have no say in this. Of course, they caught up to us and our fathers came to our hotel room’s door. Taeyeon’s father hit him, chiding Taeyeon for being irresponsible. My own father threatened to slap me, but Taeyeon shielded me and took the hit instead. He stood for us and that was when our fathers finally accepted our cause.” Sooyeon recalls with teary eyes.

 

She looks up at Miyoung and finds the younger woman looking at her with sympathy. A sad smile appears on the Jung’s face, “They told us the risks of being together and sent us to an estate that Taeyeon’s family owned. We were told to remain there until Soojung was born. It was a way to keep us from getting our privacy invaded as well as to keep us safe from those who wanted to harm us.”     

 

Sooyeon smiles through watery eyes as she continues to tell her story, “It felt like a vacation for the both of us. Those were some of the best moments in my life. Taeyeon and I spent every day together like a newly wedded couple. Well, we did get married secretly before we were sent into hiding. Our physician came into the estate from time to time to check up on me and little Soojung in my womb.” Miyoung’s eyes lock with Sooyeon as the latter resumes, “When Soojung was born, my relationship with Taeyeon grew stronger. He was the best husband and father anyone could have wished for. Everything seemed perfect for me until one night when Soojung was only a few months old.”

 

“What happened that time?” Miyoung queries, brows furrowing at Sooyeon in concentration.

 

Sooyeon swallows the lump in before she takes a deep breath, “I was checking on Soojung after waking up at a random hour in the morning. When I entered her room, I found someone by her crib, holding her sleeping form. I was about to scream when I felt someone restrain me from behind. I did not know there were two of them or possibly even more. I out after that and later on found myself inside some warehouse where they kept Soojung and me.” Her first tears begin falling as she recalls the next events that had occurred, “They hurt me, but I never let them touch my daughter. They beat me up and starved me, but what they did never hindered me from protecting Soojung.”

 

Miyoung’s heart throbs when she hears Sooyeon’s recount of what happened. Sooyeon has gone through so much and Miyoung cannot blame her for creating that Tigress persona after what they did to her. “Taeyeon found us after a few days. He had the police with him, but the negotiations for our freedom did not bode well. The police sent in a team to subdue our hostage takers, but things went from bad to worse.”

 

The Tigress lowers her head, avoiding eye contact with Miyoung, “I tried protecting our baby from harm and it landed me in the hospital. Taeyeon said they almost lost me. I found him crying when I woke up in the hospital. Soojung had some injuries, but they weren’t as fatal as mine. The father of my child almost lost his family that day.” Tears flow down Sooyeon’s cheeks as she mutters, “Sometimes, I felt sorry for my own daughter for having such a fate. It always seemed that the world was against her and our family.”

 

Miyoung’s heart aches for her boss. Sooyeon looks very vulnerable at this moment. Placing a hand over Sooyeon’s on the desk, Miyoung gives the Tigress a reassuring look. “That is all in the past, Sooyeon. You are doing your best to keep your family together and that in itself is very admirable. Soojung is lucky to have parents like you and Taeyeon. I believe she will grow to be a wonderful person.”

 

Sooyeon smiles through her tears and clasps Miyoung’s hand on the table. “Thank you, Miyoung.”

 

Miyoung smiles back, “I think you’ve shed enough tears for tonight. You have a busy day ahead.”

 

“Right,” Sooyeon releases her hold on Miyoung’s hand as she stands from her seat. “Let’s head to bed.” Miyoung follows suit.

 

“Good night, Miyoung, and thank you for your time.”

 

“Good night, Sooyeon. Go and hug your daughter to sleep.”

 

Sooyeon nods with a smile before she turns and heads down the hall to her daughter’s room.

 

+++

 

“Please. Don’t!”

 

A hand struck her, pushing her to the floor. She cries out in pain because that is the only thing that can somehow soothe her for her hands are tied and she is helpless in the midst of these ruthless strangers. They are holding her only child, her beloved daughter whom she had just birthed a few months back.

 

“Please! Not her!”

 

They laugh at her, ridiculing her sad and helpless plight. She allows her tears to fall because that is the only way she can manage to show how much she loves and cares her daughter. “Not my Soojung.” She whispers through her bloodied lips. “Not my baby.”

 

A hand gathers her hair, pulling her up to face her captors. “You want to keep your precious baby?” He lets her see the other masked stranger cradling her precious newborn. She gasps a breath when she sees little Soojung peacefully sleeping in another man’s arms. “Don’t hurt my daughter.” She manages to speak despite her aching lungs. They have beaten her like she was a punching bag, but they did not ually assault her as directed by their so-called bosses.

 

She realizes that they answered to some people who want her alive and ‘untouched’. They still play their mind games with her though and despite her knowledge of their cruel game, she feels powerless both physically and mentally. Having Soojung’s life at stake is her primary weakness and Sooyeon promises herself to do anything to keep her precious daughter safe.

 

The man holding her daughter produces a knife and Sooyeon’s swollen eyes widen when he raises it clo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter