Wind

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: Happy Birthday to the prodigy who put everyone to shame with her numerous achievements at such a young age. Continue to grow strong, Soojung. The space is your limit. :)

In the meantime, enjoy this piece of JungSis. Thank you for reading.  

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++

 

 

Fingers run through platinum blonde tresses. Eyes scan the streets, watching people pass her by without acknowledging her presence. Head leans back, resting lightly against the brick wall as she exhales.

 

‘She’s late as always.’ She thinks as she ruffles her silken golden locks, shaking away the frustration of waiting. Dark orbs watch as people continue crowding the streets as random thoughts cloud her mind. She loves people watching. It calms her and eases the burdens. It keeps her mind off the mundane things she was obliged to do. Ears perk at the sound of smooth wheels grinding against the concrete as head turns to register the newcomer gliding on the skateboard, weaving past pedestrians until they reach her. A smile plays on her lips.

 

“Late as always.” She grins as they halt to a stop, tipping the board before catching the tilted side with a practiced hand. They return her toothy grin before they take off the black beanie, securing the dark cap on her head.

 

“I had a harder time sneaking out, kiddo. Unlike you, I had to take some responsibility of bringing my irresponsible sibling an extra layer of clothes plus a black-knit bonnet to protect her from the cold.” They mutter with a huff, cold mist evaporating from their mouth. She merely chuckles as they take off their extra coat, donning the extra layer on her. Lips purse into a wide smile before she plants them on their forehead.

 

“Thanks, Sooyeon.”

 

Sooyeon smiles back at her, free hand entangling with hers as the elder sister leads them forward. “Let’s go, Soojung.”

 

She complies, picking up her board which had been leaning against the wall beside her. “Where to, sis?” Soojung asks as they glide side by side on their skateboards along the sidewalk, dodging people along the way and earning some complaints from the pedestrians. They hold hands whenever they can as part of a childhood habit which had stuck with them through the years. 

 

“The beach, kiddo.” Sooyeon replies, casually balancing herself on the long board as the wheels screech against the pavement. Soojung slides alongside her, “What’re we doin’ there?” Sooyeon casts her a moment’s glance before pushing her board with her left foot, gaining more momentum.

 

“We’ll see what we can do when we get there.”

 

Soojung raises a brow, “Seriously?” She gets a shrug in response. “I guess we’ll just wing it.” She then catches up to her sister, standing firm on the board, gliding against concrete and asphalt.

 

+++

 

Angry waves batter the white, sandy beach as two figures sitting on their respective skateboards observe the dreary scenery. Darkness blankets over the horizon with only the moon disturbing the night’s monotony. Soojung shifts in her seat, settling herself on her older sibling’s board. She moves her creaky four-wheeler toward their outstretched legs, placing her own board under them for more comfort. Brunette tangles brush against her cheek as a weight rests on her right shoulder.

 

“It’s much better than home, right?” Sooyeon whispers.

 

“Yeah. I like this, sis.”

 

“But we’ll need to wake up from this soon, Soojung.”

 

“Can’t we enjoy the moment for now?”

 

“We are, right now.”

 

“Then, let’s just stay like this for a bit.”

 

“I’d like it if forever was like this. No worries, no responsibilities. Nothing. Free as the wind that caresses your soul whenever we glide on our boards.”

 

“Have you thought of that university admission? I will miss you if you’re going to that place.”

 

“I’m not going, Soojung. That’s what dad wanted for me, but that’s not what I want. All I want to do is to live a simple life.”

 

“But you have no choice, Sooyeon. You’re bound to inherit our family’s company and I’m bound to assist you in its expansion. I’ll be following your steps into that university once I graduate high school.”

 

A sigh leaves Sooyeon’s lips. Her sister is right. They do not have a choice in this. Their future is already laid out for them by their parents and their family. It is something that they do not want – to be mere puppets of their family.

 

It was on a fateful day when Sooyeon received a skateboard from her easy-going aunt that she had picked up the hobby of long boarding. Soojung, who had watched her sister enjoy the ride, also picked up the sport. At first, the two girls shared the same board, which was now Sooyeon’s rickety old skateboard they were currently sitting on. And on Soojung’s 15th birthday, Sooyeon had surprised her sister with a brand new long board which she had decorated by herself.

 

“Soojung, I want to be free. Would you go with me if I go?”

 

The platinum blonde smiles at her, “Of course, I’d go with you.” Soojung stands up, stretches her arms above her head before she looks to her pensive older sister. Hand reaches out before the older sibling as her eyes stare into the darkness beyond the turbulent sea. “Let’s take a walk on the beach, Sooyeon.” A cold hand clasps her gloved one, feeling the cold skin through the fabric. Eyes shift, turning to meet dark orbs. “You’re cold. You should have worn gloves.”

 

A scoff escapes Sooyeon’s lips as she stands up, “Well, I would have done that had I not taken extra time and risk to retrieve your coat and bonnet.” Soojung’s brows furrow, eyes lowering to their intertwined hands. She momentarily lets go of her sister, before she pulls off her right hand glove and unceremoniously dons it on her sister’s own right hand.

 

With a satisfied smile, Soojung reclaims her sister’s left hand, twining their fingers together before she stuffs them into the warmth of her jacket pocket. “Problem solved.” An amused chuckle escapes her older sibling’s lips, “You’re always the smart , huh.” Soojung’s smile widens before she stumps her foot on one side of the long board, tilting it enough for her free hand to pick it up. “You’re welcome.”

 

Sooyeon rolls her eyes in feigned annoyance before she does the same stunt to her own skateboard. “Where to, lil sis?” Soojung maintains her silence, tugging on her sister’s hand instead. Sooyeon feels her hand being squeezed.

 

‘Trust me.’ It meant.

 

+++

 

High-cut shoes crush the shifting sands as two figures follow the coastline. The moon illuminates their path as they walk side by side with their treasured possessions – their prized long boards which they had decorated by themselves. “You think, they’ll come looking for us?” Soojung breaks the comfortable silence between them. Sooyeon shakes her head. It will take time before their guards would notice their disappearance. “You made sure?” questions the younger sibling once more.

 

“I did. Why? Did we get caught before?” Sooyeon asks back. Head shakes and Sooyeon gives her sibling a triumphant smile. “Thought so.” Soojung scoffs, “But we could get caught. I mean, it is possible.” The older one groans, “You and your logic.”     

 

“Just being sensible…”

 

“And overly imaginative most of the time.” Sooyeon adds with a chuckle.

 

“I’m starved…”

 

“What do you want to eat?”

 

“Anything.”

 

Sooyeon hisses and playfully elbows her sister, making the younger sibling erupt in unrestrained laughter. The older sister smiles at Soojung’s reaction. It was during times like this where Sooyeon forgets their place in the world. She tugs at their connected hands, “Come. Let’s head to the café.”

 

Shoes crunch the white sands, leaving footprints on the beach as the moon blesses the two figures wandering about the derelict coast. Dark orbs take in the old shack standing by the road, looming over the beach. Soojung’s eyes light up once she sees th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter