Raison d'être (Part 8)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

8

 

“H-hey, Taeng-goo? I-I know you can hear me… I miss you so much even though it wasn’t long since we last spent time together.” Sooyeon pauses, eyes watery at the sight of her beloved and the many contraptions attached to him. The ventilator’s hum harmonizes with the cardiac monitor’s constant beeps. “Taengoo…” Sooyeon takes hold of Taeyeon’s cold hand, fingers feeling the pulse oximeter attached to his forefinger. The first tear slips down her cheek, “You have to come back. I need you back. Soojung needs you. And…our baby needs you.” More tears come and Sooyeon sniffs, “I-I ju-just found out, Taengoo. I-Mom m-made me see a doctor when we got here. Y-Your wish is coming true, Taengoo. W-We’re h-having another baby…”

 

Her grip tightens her hold on Taeyeon’s limp hand. Sooyeon rests her head on her husband’s bed, kissing his cold and pallid hand. “So please, come back to me, Taengoo.” Sooyeon moves from her seat beside the bed and carefully joins Taeyeon on the huge bed. She gently lays herself down and takes in Taeyeon’s side profile. Taeyeon looks like he is sleeping with white gauze wrapped around his head, an endotracheal tube taped to his mouth to aid his breathing. There are wires attached to his torso, monitoring his heart’s condition and oxygen saturation. An intravenous line connects to his left hand, branching out like veins to different IV drips.

 

There are bruises and cuts, Sooyeon notes, on his arms and she quivers in pain as she takes in her lover’s unresponsive state. Sooyeon sits up and brings Taeyeon’s hand to her abdomen, a sad smile on her tired face. “I hope the baby’s going to be a boy. So that he’ll be as handsome and strong as his father,” she manages to stop herself from crying now as she guides Taeyeon’s hand to rub her tummy.

 

+++

 

“Miss Hwang?”

 

“Miss Hwang.”

 

Eyes open as they take in their surroundings. Miyoung jolts up in surprise upon noting that she is not in her apartment but somewhere extravagant. Then, her attention shifts to the child sitting on her bed. Soojung’s smile welcomes her clearing vision as she shifts in bed, straightening her back against the headboard.

 

“Good morning, Miss Hwang.” Soojung greets whilst holding her white teddy bear. Miyoung smiles back at her sheepishly, feeling a little ashamed of her messy morning look. “Morning, Soojung. How did you sleep?”

 

“I slept well.” The child answers, “Thank you for keeping me company, Miss Hwang. Did you sleep well, too?”

 

“I did.” Miyoung admits.

 

Soojung grins at her and takes her hand. “Please wash up, Miss Hwang. Mr. Clarke knocked not long ago, telling me breakfast is served.” Miyoung allows for the little one to lead her to the in-suite bathroom before the child settles back on the bed to play with her white teddy as Miyoung closes the door.

 

Back rests on the door as Miyoung sighs at her predicament. She does not expect for the little one to warm up to her so fast, at the same time, have herself captivated by little Soojung’s charms. ‘The child is such a blessing to the family,’ Miyoung thinks. As she washes up and brushes her teeth, Miyoung’s thoughts land on Soojung’s mother and she wonders how the young mother and her husband are faring. Miyoung thinks she’s intruding into their lives and she feels like someone unworthy of partaking in this family’s affairs. After all, she is just an outsider to them.

 

Miyoung opens the door to find Soojung in a daze, the young girl’s eyes locked with her white bear. “Soojung?” Miyoung hesitantly calls out as she approaches the little one. Soojung shakes her head and faces the lady watching over her. “Yes, Ms. Hwang?” Soojung’s innocent features put a smile on Miyoung’s face.

 

“You can call me, Miyoung.” The woman tells h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter