Raison d'être (Part 20)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20

 

Sooyeon’s drastic decisions still disturbs and confuses Miyoung. The revelation of the extent of both the Kims’ and the Jungs’ knowledge of her real identity does not settle well with her as well, but seeing Soojung nestle comfortably in her arms as they sit in the backseat of the Jungs’ family car to Soojung’s school makes Miyoung forget about her own worries.

 

The coming days became uneventful at most, with Miyoung fetching Soojung from school and bringing her to the Jung estate where she and the child would spend their time eating snacks, doing Soojung’s homework, and preparing some food for Sooyeon who is still in the hospital. At 7pm, Miyoung and Soojung would find themselves trudging through hospital floors on the way to the Tigress’ room. They would find Sooyeon still in bed, reading some papers from the office dropped off by Miss Lee on the trusted secretary’s way home.

 

The young mother would set her work aside upon catching Soojung slip through the door to her hospital room. By then, mother and child would bond over Soojung’s tales from school, on what she has learned and the many friends she has made. Miyoung would stick to observing the two as she settles on the couch by the bed. On Friday nights, Soojung would be allowed to sleep with her mother while Miyoung would excuse herself to head home and have some time for herself. Come morning on Saturday, Miyoung would head back to the hospital to check up on the mother-daughter pair.

 

Light giggles escape the closed door as Miyoung approaches the Tigress’ hospital suite. A smile unconsciously paves its way through Miyoung’s lips as she gently knocks for permission.

 

A hush and Sooyeon’s honeyed voice echoes through the door, “Come in.”

 

Miyoung turns the knob and opens the door, revealing Sooyeon and Soojung still in bed. The young girl is cradling her mother’s protruding belly, whilst leaning against her mom’s frame. The endearing sight delights the Hwang as she approaches them with a warm smile, Miyoung’s eyes turning into inverted crescents.

 

“Good morning to you two. I see that you have been up for a while.” Miyoung beams.

 

“Morning, Auntie Miyoung!” Soojung perks up as she gives the newcomer a hug from the bed. Miyoung receives her with open arms only to be brought into bed as Soojung suddenly pulls her in. Miyoung stumbles into bed, her body almost crushing the little one who merely laughs at her own antics.

 

Sooyeon giggles from the side, clearly enjoying how close Miyoung and her own daughter had gotten. Ruffling her little one’s hair, Sooyeon prompts her daughter to release her Auntie from her grip. “Soojung-ah, let your Auntie Miyoung go now.”

 

Soojung loosens her grip from her Auntie with a pout as Miyoung straightens up and decides to sit on the bed.

 

“Have you eaten, Soojung-ah?” Miyoung inquires once everyone has settled down.

 

The young girl nods, “Mommy and I ate breakfast before you came. We ate pancakes with maple syrup and butter, topped with strawberries. Mommy helped me finish my glass of orange juice too!”

 

"Good girl!” Miyoung grins, gently patting Soojung’s head.

 

“You’re awesome with kids, Miyoung.” Sooyeon points out, prompting Miyoung’s cheeks to turn pink at the compliment.

 

“Not really, I’m just good when it comes to Soojung.” Miyoung replies bashfully.

 

The two adults watch from the bed as Soojung busies herself with a toy she has brought from home the night before.

 

“Hey, Miyoung.”

 

The younger woman turns to meet her boss’ gaze, “What is it, Sooyeon?”

 

“I haven’t properly thanked you for everything that you have done for me and my family. When I finally get out of here, would you like to stay with me and Soojung at the manse?”

 

Miyoung’s eyes widen, her jaw slackens as she hears the older woman’s proposal. “Bu-But, that would be imposing on you and your family.”

 

“No. You’re family now. It’s the least I can do to pay you back.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter