Raison d'être (Part 19)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

19

 

When Sooyeon wakes up, she finds Miyoung slumped in a chair at her bedside. The Tigress finds her heart aching for the younger lady, realizing how great a debt she owes this woman. Miyoung has proved to be more than just an employee within just a short span of time. She also notices Soojung resting against Miyoung’s slumped form, making her wonder for how long the Hwang has been in this position.

 

As she carefully sits up in bed, the rustle of her sheets awakens Miyoung from slumber.

 

“Y-You’re awake.” Miyoung croaks, gently rubbing her eyes with her free hand as she slowly adjusts her position with Soojung sleeping against her shoulder. Sooyeon notes the soft groan that leaves Miyoung’s lips as she tries to move, careful not to rouse the slumbering child in her arms. A pang of guilt washes over the young CEO as she watches Miyoung take care of her own child.

 

“I’m – I’m sorry.” Sooyeon whispers, her voice hoarse from her long days of solitude and silence. Clearing , she speaks up, this time a little louder for Miyoung to hear. “I’m really sorry for putting you through all this, Miyoung.” She looks up to Miyoung staring intently at her, eyes always kind and gentle before Miyoung merely smiles, relief evident on her face.

 

“Glad to have you back, Sooyeon.” There is neither anger nor contempt lacing Miyoung’s tone, and Sooyeon feels even more guilt and underserving of Miyoung’s unwavering patience and loyalty.

 

“I’ve burdened you enough, Miyoung. I don’t know how I can repay you for all that you’ve done for me.”

 

“I think your recovery is good enough for me. Please don’t do this again. You have scared us more than once. Your family misses you, Sooyeon. Soojung misses you and your parents, Mr. Kim’s parents, are worried about you. Taeyeon would want you to look after your baby and little Soojung here. They will need their mommy more than ever. So, please, Sooyeon. Promise Taeyeon and your children that you’ll be strong for all of them.”

 

Sooyeon stares at Miyoung, finding nothing but sincerity and concern etched in the younger woman’s eyes. Then, her sight shifts to her little one, a little version of herself with some traces of Taeyeon. With the smallest of nods, she responds, “I – I’ll try my best, but I don’t know how to do this all alone. I’m not sure if I’m strong enough to hold everything. I - ” she turns back to Miyoung, “can you help me?”

 

Miyoung gives her a determined look, “I will do my best.”

 

“Promise me, that you’ll be by my side? That you’ll guide me through all of this?”

 

“I promise, Sooyeon.”

 

“Then, I promise that I’ll get better for everyone.”

 

And they both hope that the promises they made would not be broken just like the others.

 

+++     

 

The days that follow are spent in the hospital. Miyoung finds herself torn between actual office work, tending to her boss, and tending to her said boss’ daughter. Soojung resumes her private schooling at home while Miyoung goes back to the office, assisting Miss Lee with the heavy tasks of relegating and relaying the schedules to the Jung parents while Sooyeon focuses on regaining her energy.

 

Miyoung goes through the extra mile as an employee after her office hours. She picks up little Soojung from the Jung manor and accompanies the child to visit her mother at the hospital.

 

“Mommy!” Little Soojung exclaims as she runs over to her mother, who is sitting against the headboard with a book on her lap. The child clamors over the bed after hastily removing her shoes. She snuggles close to her mother in no time, much to Miyoung’s amusement. The young employee leans against the doorway, watching mother and daughter rekindle their strained bonds.

 

Soojung seems to have eased well into her mother’s recovering status, accepting the fact that her sole parent is to stay at the hospital for quite a while. Soojung leans against her mother, little arms wrapping around her mom’s waist, her genuine smile making Sooyeon’s heart melt. It was as if Sooyeon hadn’t been neglecting her daughter for days.

 

Sooyeon presses her lips against her baby girl’s crown, earning a light giggle from little Soojung. “I missed you, Mommy.”

 

“I missed you, too, baby. Mommy’s sorry.”

 

Soojung cups her mother’s face, innocent eyes locking with dark brown orbs. Sooyeon sees Taeyeon looking through them for a moment. “I forgive Mommy. I love you.”

 

“I love you, too, baby.”

 

Miyoung leaves the room, feeling like she was intruding in an intimate mother-daughter moment. The Tigress and her cub needed the privacy and the bonding. The past few days – no, weeks – had been too rough on them.

 

The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter