Indirect Kisses and Subtle Glances

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

featuring Soshi's eldest, youngest, and the SoshiBond

 

“I’m thirsty. Can you pass that bottle of water to me?” Jessica asked as she eyed the bottle of liquid from the stage. Their manager had attempted to hand over the bottle to one of the members but the girls didn’t notice him. Not bearing the thirst that was consuming her, Jessica finally decided to move from her position and take the refreshment herself not knowing that a pair of eyes had been observing her in secret.



The cold water relieved her of the thirst but as she was about to cap the bottle, someone lightly tapped her shoulder from behind. Jessica turned to see that it was none other than her leader, Kim Taeyeon.


“What is it, Taengoo?” the second eldest member of SNSD asked.


“Can I have a drink?” Taeyeon replied as she eyed the drink that Jessica was holding.


Without any second thoughts, the younger girl handed the bottle of water to the eldest. Taeyeon drank from the same bottle that Jessica had been drinking from earlier. Then, with a sweet smile on her face, the eldest girl handed the now empty bottle of water to Jessica.


“Thanks, Sica.” The Kid Leader smiled. Jessica returned the smile before taking the bottle off stage and handing it back to their manager. Then, she returned back to her position where the girls had a quick talk with the fans before continuing with their usual awesome performances.


When the girls had finally gotten off stage, the maknae looked a little distressed while looking for something in the waiting room. She had been frantically searching for something missing.


“Oppa, did you happen to see a water bottle somewhere?” asked Seohyun, who was still looking over their stuff while the other girls packed their belongings ready to leave the venue.


“Oh, you mean this one?” the manager inquired while holding up an empty bottle for the youngest member to see.


Seohyun’s eyes lightened up upon seeing the bottle, but then, a look of horror quickly appeared on her face after discovering that it was now emptied.


“Oh no! Who drank from this bottle?!” maknae’s sudden outburst startled everyone in the room. Everyone gave her a weird look as she gave everyone a questioning stare.


“What’s wrong, Hyunnie?” Yoona asked as she came over to the maknae.


“Someone took the potion, Yoona-unnie…” Seohyun replied as she held up the empty bottle which their manager handed to her before heading out. Yoona’s face darkened when she saw the plastic container in the maknae’s hand. Jessica noticed the familiar object that Seohyun was holding.


“Uhh. I think I was the one who drank from that bottle. I’m sorry, Seohyun-ah. Maybe unnie can buy you another drink before we leave?” Jessica apologized when she saw Seohyun’s saddened face.


“Omo, unnie! You drank it all?” Seohyun asked the second eldest member.


“Not really, Taeyeon and I shared the drink. I drank the first half while your Taeyeon-unnie finished the rest. We’re really sorry, Seohyun. We didn’t know it was yours and we were really too thirsty to care whose bottle we’ve been drinking from.” Jessica explained and apologized to the distressed maknae.


She never really saw this side of Seohyun. The maknae’s face bore a grave expression and despite being all cool about the situation, Jessica felt a little afraid of the youngest member’s tensed demeanor.


“Unnie...” Yoona, who had come up from behind the maknae, veered Jessica’s attention towards her.


“What is it, Yoona?” Jessica asked. Her mind was filled with a lot of questions as her eyes searched the two maknaes for answers. She was clearly confused as to why the empty bottle of water made such a big deal to them.


“Unnie, the water bottle that you and Taeyeon-unnie drank from awhile ago did not contain ordinary water…” Yoona began. “Seohyun and I bought it from a potions dealer so that we can both switch up our bodies with each other. I didn’t want to fail my college entrance exams so I asked Seohyun for a favor by switching bodies with her for the duration of the examinations. We got this potion when some elderly woman told us about the local potions shop that could help us with my problem.”


It took a whole minute for Jessica to register everything that her dongsaeng had said into her mind. The words potion, switching bodies, and water bottle didn’t quite relate well to her. She was at a loss for words when she realized what was going to happen to her and to the one who shared the drink with her after that one full minute of being in a daze.


Jessica’s eyes widened in shock when reality had hit her hard in the face, but there was still a lot of skepticism that had kept her rooted to sanity. A potion that enables its drinkers to switch up bodies is simply impossible to grasp and the second eldest member simply couldn’t believe it to happen. Of course, how could she believe the words coming out from one of the pranksters of the group?


“So is that why you two seemed to be quite despaired over the water bottle? Are you really sure that this ‘potion’ will switch up your bodies should you drink from it? I mean, if I was the only one who had taken a sip from it, would I have stayed within my own body? How will the switching happen?” Jessica proceeded with her own scrutiny. She wanted to know if the two maknaes were indeed telling the truth or just pulling up a prank on her.


“Yoona-unnie’s college entrance exams will be starting in two days. We had a sample of the potion before buying it and we both tried it once and it really worked in a short span of time. We got our bodies switched when we woke up the next morning and got our original bodies back by noon. The potion you have just ingested was meant to switch two bodies for about a week and we only planned on consuming just ¼ of it for the sake of unnie’s examinations…” Seohyun explained.


“Unnie, the potion will not have an effect on you if you were the only one who had a drink from it, but knowing that Taeyeon-unnie had taken half of it as well…I guess you two will have to get used to living as the other person starting tomorrow. The moment you sleep tonight is the moment when your souls will begin switching bodies. Taeyeon-unnie will be living as you and you will be stuck in Taeyeon-unnie’s body for an entire week…” Yoona added.


Jessica couldn’t believe the things that the two youngest members of SNSD were relaying to her. Right now, she needs someone coherent by her side.


“Hey, what’s bothering you three?” a familiar voice asked from behind Jessica.


The person that the second eldest needed the most had just interrupted them at the right moment. Jessica turned to explain to the Kid Leader what the maknaes had just told her. Taeyeon’s expression seemed unreadable after Jessica conveyed everything to her.


“I don’t know if I would want to believe what the maknaes were saying, but for the meantime, let’s head home shall we?” Taeyeon said as she suspiciously eyed the two maknaes before turning her sight towards Jessica who held an expressionless gaze. The Kid Leader dismissed the possibility that the maknaes’ testimonies could be true and that she might have her soul switched with Jessica’s own overnight. She had thought that Yoona had managed to convince Seohyun into playing a prank on them.


Taeyeon turned towards the door motioning the others to follow her. Jessica followed suit shrugging off the thought of having her soul transferred into Taeyeon’s body. The maknaes gave each other a grim look before following the two eldest members out the door and onto the hallway. They were the only ones remaining since the others had gotten into their ride which was parked right outside the building.


The walk towards the van was silent. No one dared to say a word about the matter until they reached the vehicle where the rest of the members sat waiting for them.


“What took you guys so long? I can’t wait to get home, I’m hungry and tired!” complained Sooyoung as soon as Taeyeon opened the door. The eldest member nonchalantly ushered her companions before stepping into the vehicle without much heed to Sooyoung’s outburst.


“Yah! What’s wrong with you people?” the group’s Shikshin asked the unresponsive members.


“Nothing.” Jessica managed to answer for them.


“Are you sure that nothing’s going on between you guys? It seems that Taeyeon and the maknaes don’t look too well…” Yuri pointed out.


“Really, there’s nothing wrong between the four of us. We just had a weird discussion, that’s all…” Taeyeon responded this time.


“What weird discussion?” Tiffany interrogated as she eyed the four who were the last to enter the van.


“Unnie, Taeyeon-unnie and Jessica-unnie drank the potion that Yoona-unnie and I bought. The potion was supposed to switch the bodies of the two people who drank from them.” Seohyun answered with all honesty. 


“Okay, now that is just weird!” Hyoyeon remarked earning a nod from the others. Even their manager-oppa who was driving the vehicle agreed.


“But we’re serious, unnies!” Yoona insisted. “The potion had worked on Seohyun and me.”


“We’re through with your pranks, maknaes. Give it a rest. Even Yuri and I are not in the mood to set up pranks. Right now, all of us needed rest.” Sooyoung said ending their discussion as everyone decided to sleep through the duration of the ride except for the two worried maknaes who were eyeing their eldest unnies with worry.


“They really aren’t going to believe us, huh?” Yoona whispered to the maknae who was sitting beside her.


“I guess we’ll just have to let them be, unnie.” Seohyun replied in a hushed tone.


When their vehicle had arrived at their dorm, the two maknaes took the responsibility of waking up their unnies. Everyone groggily opened their eyes and shuffled lazily out of the vehicle and without much commotion started heading towards their dorm. The two maknaes just followed their unnies’ procession silently without much heed to the worries that clogged their minds. They both hoped that the two eldest would be able to cope with the sudden changes that will overcome them.


The topic had never been brought up again as the nine young ladies settled at the table for dinner. Everyone ate with content before proceeding to their respective rooms to rest. Yoona gave her dongsaeng a worried look before heading her way down to her room. Seohyun knew that she and her unnie have done everything to warn Taeyeon and Jessica, but they both shrugged the thought off. Now, the maknaes can do nothing about it until the two eldest girls wake up the following morning.

 

***



Taeyeon found herself sleeping with an arm over her head. Her schedule together with her members begins late in the afternoon so she doesn’t have to worry about waking up early in the morning. Besides, the maknaes are taking the liberty to wake their unnies up so why bother waste her precious sleeping hours over such matter.


The only thing bugging her right now is a leg latching itself over her abdomen. She could swear that it was as long as Sooyoung’s legs in contrast with that of her roommate’s short ones. Taeyeon takes pride in her height and the fact that she’s taller than her fellow Danshin keeps her hopes up. The problem is, she feels like she’s being regarded as a body pillow by her roommate right now.


Scrunching up her face in annoyance, Taeyeon lazily opened an eye to see a long leg comfortably placed over her stomach. Her eyes followed the limb to its owner and to her surprise, she found the tallest member sleeping right next to her. ‘What the heck? Soonkyu didn’t tell me that she was switching rooms with Sooyoung…’ Taeyeon thought to herself.


The Kid Leader opened her sights to her surroundings and soon found herself in a room very much different from hers. ‘This isn’t my room and this is not my bed and clearly Sooyoung is NOT my current roommate!’ Taeyeon thought to herself as panic appeared on her face. ‘Did I just sleepwalk into this room?’


There’s just something missing though. There’s supposed to be another occupant in this room if she remembers correctly, but where the heck is Jessica? She’s supposed to be sleeping on this bed…


Taeyeon’s eyes searched for the missing person in the room as she scanned around the bed in hopes that Jessica must’ve fallen off or was sleeping nearby but there was no trace of the second eldest anywhere. The Kid Leader released herself from Sooyoung’s grip before frantically getting off the bed until she heard a grunt from the Shikshin.


“Yah, Sica…It’s too early. Stop moving too much!” Sooyoung complained while her eyes remained asleep.


“Sooyoung-ah…Sica’s missing…” Taeyeon said as she nudged the Shikshin awake.


“Eh?” the Shikshin’s eyes fluttered open when she heard the hoarse voice ramble about her roommate being missing. Her clearing vision revealed a sight that was new to her. She couldn’t believe that a sleepyhead woke up before she did.


Sooyoung’s eyes met a disheveled brunette’s brown ones and upon seeing her very own roommate’s face, she threw a pillow at Taeyeon in annoyance.


“Yah! Choi Sooyoung! What was that for?” Taeyeon grumbled after she got hit by the pillow hard on the face.


“Stop messing around, Sica. Go to sleep… It’s too early to be playing pranks on me…” Sooyoung replied as she yawned and went back to sleep leaving Taeyeon alone in her ponderings.


“But…I’m not Sica…I’m Taeyeon…”


There was no response from Sooyoung as the tallest member had fallen back asleep.


A sigh escaped the Kid Leader’s lips as she found herself wondering where the second eldest member had headed off to. She couldn’t bother Sooyoung right now since the younger girl was clearly in need of sleep and arguing won’t get them anywhere.


Taeyeon couldn’t believe the possibility that Jessica woke up before she did. With hopes of finding SNSD’s sleepyhead, Taeyeon tried out the room that she and Sunny are currently sharing. Knowing that Jessica had gotten so close to the third eldest member, Taeyeon had thought of the possibility that Sica might have crossed over to her room after the Kid Leader had supposedly sleepwalked into her own.


Taeyeon silently crept towards the room she shared with Sunny which was just right across from Sooyoung and Jessica’s bedroom. The door had been closed but it was unlocked and Taeyeon had hoped that her assumptions were right as she wrapped her hand over the doorknob.


Without much of a noise, Taeyeon opened the door and found two sleeping occupants in the room much to her relief. Taeyeon’s eyes scanned the room and found the lump on Sunny’s bed, which was nearest the door, stir a little before light snores were heard. ‘Aish, Soonkyu’s snoring again…’ Taeyeon mused in her thoughts as she tried to suppress herself from chuckling in amusement.


Taeyeon then turned her attention towards the lump hidden beneath the covers of her own bed as she crept stealthily towards it. To her surprise though, she found blond hair tips sticking out from under the blanket.


‘That’s strange. If I could recall correctly, Jessica had long brunette hair with blonde highlights which she had matched with her little sister’s…Not the ones that I’m currently sporting…’ Taeyeon thought to herself as she was about to peel the blanket off Jessica’s person.


Confusion and surprise came over her as soon as she unveiled the person sleeping underneath her own blanket. Taeyeon was speechless upon seeing the figure lying peacefully in her bed. The girl’s sleeping eyes were indeed catlike similar to Jessica’s. Her complexion was as white as ivory, and her stature was just about the same with SNSD’s Ice Princess.


There’s something odd though as Taeyeon recalled the maknaes’ warnings. ‘It can’t be possible!’ Taeyeon argued with her own mind as she stared at the sleeping person. ‘I must be dreaming!’


Sensing the cold creeping into her body, Jessica tried to blindly fumble for the blanket that had been covering her but it seemed to be out of reach as Taeyeon was still holding it above her figure. The frustrated girl suddenly sat up with her eyes still closed. The second eldest member rubbed her eyes of sleep before opening them only to find herself in a different bedroom with a different roommate and surprisingly an all too familiar person standing by her bed.


It took her exactly two seconds before shock registered on her face. “I must be dreaming…” Jessica thought aloud as she stared at Taeyeon who held the same dumbfounded expression as her.


The two figures gawked long and hard at each other before reality slapped them hard on the face. Two distinctive ear-splitting screams soon reverberated throughout the Soshi dorm awakening all of its sleeping inhabitants in an unpleasant manner. All the members groaned as the sound of the two eldest members’ shrieks invaded their helpless ears as they all scurried to the source of the damned high-pitched tuneful sounds.


Sunny was the most pitiful of all as she was the one nearest the deafening screams. An angry expression came onto her face as she bolted from the bed and gave the two older girls a round of scolding that was somewhat dreaded by the two maknaes.


“YAH! WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TWO DOING SCREAMING SO EARLY IN THE MORNING?!” Sunny shouted with gritted teeth as she unleashed her anger upon the two eldest girls of SNSD who are now cowering before the shortest member.


The other members arrived at the scene to witness the two eldest girls being scolded by the third eldest. It was a rarity to see Taeyeon and Jessica, the two members who rarely got scolded by the others, on the receiving end of Lee Soonkyu’s wrath. The rest of the girls could only watch as Sunny silenced the two from their initial shock. The two maknaes somehow got the hint of what made their eldest unnies scream.


“Sunny-ah…” Jessica started with a little hesitance as she thought of the proper words to appease her fuming ‘sister’. “I was just surprised to see myself standing before me…”


The second eldest had pointed towards Taeyeon’s direction as she made an attempt to explain. Everyone save for Taeyeon and the maknaes were confused by Jessica’s statement.


“What do you mean, TaeTae?” Sunny asked much to Jessica’s surprise.


“Eh? TaeTae? But I’m Jessica!” the girl who shared a shrieking fit with Taeyeon rebutted.


“Yah! Stop playing pranks on us early in the morning, Taeng…Don’t tell me that you and Sica had planned this out! This happened to me for the second time already!” Sooyoung scolded as she sent a glare towards the two eldest members.


“Uhhh…Unnies…” Seohyun hesitantly said. “I think the switch has happened…”


Everyone stared at her in disbelief except for Yoona. Taeyeon and Jessica especially eyed the poor maknae with shock as the realization began to sink back into their minds while the others who were confused remained oblivious to what the youngest had meant.


“What are you talking about, Kook Kooki? Don’t tell me this is all about the potion thing that you and Yoona were babbling about yesterday…” Hyoyeon, the maknae’s current roommate, inquired.


“Unnie…It’s true. We do think that the switch has happened and Taeyeon-unnie and Jessica-unnie are not lying…” Yoona answered for the maknae.


Everyone was dumbfounded except for Taeyeon and Jessica who both turned pale as they found the maknaes’ words to be true.


“Wait, so you mean Jessi is in TaeTae’s body while TaeTae is in Jessi’s body right now?” Tiffany who tried to keep herself from yawning while speaking asked.


“Yes…” The eldest members answered in chorus gaining everyone’s attention.


“That’s the reason why we screamed in the first place. We didn’t know this would come true…I thought Sica had switched rooms with me when I purportedly sleepwalked into her room but when I saw myself sleeping in bed I thought it was just a dream but when my body woke up and stared back at me, I screamed in shock upon my realization of what the maknaes had warned us about.” Taeyeon commented.


Sooyoung felt a headache turning up as she placed a hand over her forehead and slid it down her face before speaking, “So, let’s get this straight. Taeyeon and Jessica have switched bodies? For how long will they be deprived of their own body?”


It was too much for everyone to handle so early in the morning.


“They’re going to be trapped in their bodies for a week, unnie.” Seohyun replied causing some gasps as a response.


“Is there some antidote to this?” Sunny asked as her anger had now subsided.


“We don’t have an antidote, unnie…” Yoona sadly replied.


“Then, we’ll just have to try some attempts to switch them back on our own…” Yuri suggested.


“So, any ideas on how to switch us back to our respective bodies?” Jessica, who was trapped in Taeyeon’s body, suddenly asked catching everyone off guard and causing an awkward moment of silence in the group as a result.


Everyone stared at her as though she was the most interesting object in the room. Jessica simply stared blankly as she waited for someone to speak.


Being the first to recover from the infamous ‘Sica Effect’, Sooyoung commented, “Aigoo, Jessica is still Jessica even if she looks like Taengoo right now. But the only difference would be; we’ll need to get used to calling her Taeyeon from now on even if we know she’s Sica. So, it’s the Taengoo effect nowadays not the Sica effect…”


The other girls chuckled at Sooyoung’s lame attempt to lighten up the atmosphere save for the two eldest who didn’t seem to have treated it as a joke. “Yah! Stop that. This is a serious matter. We’re going on schedules in a few hours and we should be worried about our performances since Sica and I needed to get used to this body while we think of a way to get a cure as soon as possible…” Taeyeon pointed out.


“Taengoo’s right. Besides, I need to get used to this midget’s body and adjust to my roles in the song…” Jessica mused earning a knuckle to her forehead. The second eldest reeled backwards when the eldest knocked her on the head.


“Yah! You’re not any better, Sica! You’re only a few centimeters taller than me!” Taeyeon defended her height after sending a knuckle to the second eldest.


The others who were witnessing the two eldest bicker seemed to have relaxed from the situation until one of them yawned aloud thereby silencing Taeyeon and Jessica.


“Uhm…I need to go back to sleep, unnies. I’m tired. We’ll deal with this later…” Yoona mused as she excused herself from the gathering. Everyone else soon followed suit until the two eldest members were left alone with their roommates who seemed to be concerned the most.


“I think you two should bunk together for awhile while you guys sort this out between yourselves…I mean, we can only help you as much but the ultimate task still rests upon you two…” Sunny said as she stared at the two switched up girls.


“Soonkyu’s right. Besides, I think Taeyeon will be uncomfortable sleeping in a room with me knowing that she’d be pushed down by my legs and annoyed by my snoring…” Sooyoung chuckled as she eyed the glares of a certain brunette who stood beside a shorter girl.


Sooyoung shuddered as she made eye contact with the intense stare. “Whoa…The infamous glare is still there even though it’s an entirely different person using it…”


A smile crept onto Taeyeon’s lips. “You know, Sica…I am totally loving your cold glares at the moment…I think I can get used to this kind of stare if they will make people shudder…”


Jessica chuckled, “Yah! My glare is priceless you know. So don’t waste it on worthless stuff.”


“Hey, I’m not worthless. I guess you two should just bunk together…” Sooyoung said as she dragged Sunny out of the room and closed the door leaving the two eldest girls alone.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter