Grief And Good Friends

Special Delivery

Mina had been sent the package early that morning but she had opened it and sat there staring at it on her bed, it still didn't seem real that the only member of her family who truly understood was gone and she was never coming back, a tear rolled down her cheek and she felt Chaeyoung's finger wipe it away as she was made to stand up and was subsequently dressed by her. An odd numbness was passing over her body and although she knew exactly where she was, she didn't feel like she was there at all.

Although memorial services no longer required formal dress, her family still felt it appropriate since Mrs Terao had been from a generation of tradition. For the first two days after the letter had been dated, and one day after she had received it in the post, Mina had wondered about calling her family but thought better of it. Even now, on the third and final day before the funeral service, she thought of contacting them. These thoughts were fleeting even now as she walked from her bedroom hand in hand with Chaeyoung and received hugs from their friends, before Chaeyoung embraced her and watched her get into the car and be driven away to say goodbye to her grandmother one last time.

Every voice she heard aimed in her direction from the moment she stepped out of the car and automatically greeted her family and fellow mourners, was muffled and her lack of response was taken as a sign of grief by all. She stood dutifuly by her parents' side and reciprocated bows from mourners who ranged from distant relatives to family acquaintances. Making eye contact was the extent of her communications and so she was shocked when she saw eight familiar faces enter the room solemnly and bow to her family and herself. Her friends had shown up to pay their respects to a woman they had only met once but who had forever imprinted herself in their memories.

Tears flowed down Mina's face as she finally broke down and she was excused by her parents as her friends bowed before exiting with a distraught Mina in thier midst. Finding a bench outside in the fresh air, somebody produced a tissue and handed it to Chaeyoung who had her arm around Mina for comfort and wiped her tears as they fell. It took a second for her to gain her composure and she sniffled a lot beofre saying anything, everyone turned to look at her as she did, they were every one of them there for her.

"You didn't all have to come, you didn't know her that well so I didn't expect it....but thank you. I felt so alone, even with everyone there. I love you all so much and I know if halmeoni was alive, she would be glad I have you guys.". It may not have been appropriate but they all piled in and gave Mina the biggest group hug which from above, in Mrs Terao's eyes, was the best way she could have left her precious sonnyeo.