Unboxing The Past

Special Delivery

Bright sunshine filtered in through the open window hitting Momo's back and made her sigh, she was about to turn around when arms wrapped around her waist and she felt Mina's head rest against her back, "Mina, yah! what are you doing?, we should unpack your stuff", her voice was a quiet mumble of distant longing as she turned slowly to face her friend. She put her own arms around her and squeezed softly to reassure her that she was ok and Mina shouldn't worry.

Doing an awkward shuffle whilst still hugging, the pair giggled their way to the bedroom and looked around, they had silently agreed that this was the first and most important room to tackle, letting go of each other a few seconds later, Mina's phone buzzed and she squeaked as her fingers worked rapidly to reply, still Momo had no idea who was making her friend this happy but she knew she would find out soon enough.

"Cheer up little rakūn, I have something to tell you. I met someone", Although Mina's announcement had been accompanied by the biggest smile Momo had ever seen, her heart felt like it had been shattered into a million pieces, how could she be happy that Mina had been stolen from her?, but what right did she have to claim her for her own without declaring how she felt out loud?. It was as if she had switched to automatic and was systematically opening boxes and interjecting the correct emotional responses to keep Mina from asking her anything that would cause her any more hurt.

Her voice no more than a monotonous grumble as she said she was happy for Mina and that they should carry on before it took them all day and all night. They finished the bedroom in record time and were part way through the living room boxes when Mina came across a small pile of old photos of the two of them and the other girls, they were all smiles until the very last photo. Stepping closer to Momo, she held the photograph in front of her own face for her to see, clearing to get her attention. Momo had a small plain white vase in her hands as she turned to face her friend and stared wide-eyed at the picture in front of her.

Stepping closer, she moved the picture, which showed a pouty Mina next to an even poutier past version of herself, aside and stood so close that the two girl's noses were touching, looking into her friends eyes, feeling her heart beating faster as the words caught in , she whispered.

"I don't want to lose you..but I can't do this anymore...".