Mother's Intuition

Special Delivery

What felt like hours to Mina was in fact only 45 minutes until she heard a knock at the door. Not wanting to leave Momo's side but knowing Mrs Hirai would be able to help, she almost fell over empty boxes as she ran for the door, wrenching it open breathlessly, the tear tracks burned into her cheeks as the older woman entered, asking where her daughter was and comforting Mina with a hand on her shoulder.

"She's in the bedroom Mrs Hirai, through here", Mina was struggling to keep the worry from her voice as she led the way through the cardboard obstacle course and into the bedroom. Momo's eyes were open just a slither as her mother set to work fussing over her. Not wanting to encroach too much, she left the room to get a glass of water and stood sipping from it slowly in the kitchen. Moments later and Momo's mother returned, looking for her daughter's bag. Pointing her in the right direction and enquiring as to why she needed it, Mina was shocked to learn the truth about her friend and she felt the familiar sting of tears in her eyes as she put the glass on the counter and listened open-mouthed.

"Momo has a genetic disorder called Vasovagal Syncope. It is nothing to worry about but she needs to be careful not to stand for too long or be in continually hot conditions. I was just checking to see if her heart monitor was in here with her fan. Don't be upset, you did the best thing by caring for her and putting her to bed. She'll be awake soon so make sure she gets a cold drink and stays in bed today, ok?", Mina sniffed away her tears and Mrs Hirai walked over to her, wiping the remaining tears away with a tissue, she held Mina's hand and smiled.

"Thank you for looking after my daughter, she's very lucky to have you. Please call me any time you need me.", with that, she gave Mina's hand a small comforting squeeze and made her own way out. Finishing her glass of water and placing into the sink, Mina made herself busy by clearing away the empty boxes and finding space for them in the utility room. She finished the task quickly and filled Ray's bowls for him, taking time to fuss him and reassure him, and a herself a little, that Momo would be ok now.

"Mmm..Minari?..what happened?", Momo's voice croaked from the open door to the bedroom. Instantly Mina ran to the kitchen and poured a glass of water for her, sloshing it a little as she rushed into the bedroom. Pushing the door closed behind her, she placed the glass down on the bedside table and got into bed beside Momo, cuddling her gently and smothering her with kisses all over her face, she paused to answer.

"Please don't do that again..I don't want to lose you".