The Personal Touch

Special Delivery

"Well it would be easier if I had help" Mina sighed, she knew that it wasn't Momo's fault she had to work while she moved into her new apartment. She hung up the phone quickly, not wanting to get more upset with her friend and say something she'd regret. Throwing her phone in the general direction she remembered her bed to be, she gave a small satisfactory smile as she heard a dull thud that confirmed her guess. Setting about writing different coloured sticky notes, she organised her things into rooms before she continued. Her little box village had only afforded her a thin path between doors for her to navigate through.

Sitting down on her sofa, she felt her eyes close and her stomach remind her that it too had worked very hard and was in dire need of a reward. Cursing at herself for forgetting to find her takeaway leaflets, Mina browsed the internet on her phone through bleary eyes and ordered herself a pizza and a drink, it would take 30 minutes to reach her and so she let her eyes rest for a while. The chime of her doorbell jolted her awake and her eyes opened the least amount they had to so she could clumsily find her way to the light swith and subsequently blind herself, grabbing her purse and taking out money on the way to the door, she opened it to the pizza boy and held the cash out to him without a word.

Realising she was being extremely rude, as she was handed the food and her change, she looked up, opening her eyes and seeing his face for the first time, except her cheeks flushed as her eyes were met by those of a cute girl. The helmet perfectly framed her face and her cheeks were rosy from the wind whipping them as she drove her scooter but the smile fixed exactly in place. She was writing something on the reciept as she handed it to Mina and the latter watched her bow politely and turn to walk away, getting on her scooter and riding back to the pizza place.

It was a few minutes before Mina realised was open and if she stood in her open doorway any longer, her new neighbours would nickname her 'the crazy girl in apartment 38', backing into her apartment with her food, she closed the door and found her way back to the sofa, sitting down not so gracefully. As she started eating her pizza, a wave of sadness washed over her, the realisation that she'd probably never see the girl again adn would have to live the rest of her life as a lonely old spinster with 60 cats. It took her a long time to eat all of her pizza and when she was done, she got up sluggishly to throw her rubbish in the bin. as she watched the discarded crusts hit the empty bag, she saw the forgotten reciept start to tumble in too but managed to grab it just in time. Remembering that the girl had written something on the back, she turned it over in her hand and beamed at the writing, her heart beating out of her chest as she ran and scrambled to get her phone from the sofa, knocking over a few boxes of clothes on the way.

Breathing heavily as if she'd ran a marathon, she called the number quickly and gulped air as she waited for the answer. She gasped as a girl's voice answered:

"Hello?, Chaeyoung speaking, who's calling?"

Almost hanging up but remembering the beautiful delivery girl's face, she listened for a second without answering. Her voice caught in as she answered, struggling to keep the smile out of her voice:

"Err..hello, it's Mina from earlier...double pepperoni.." was all she could manage to say in response.

They talked for hours about anything and everything before the sun came up and Mina realised she had work to go to, but somehow she knew that this was the start of something promising as she hung up the phone.