One Thing

Complications

 

Donghae’s POV:

I drove home as fast as I could. I called up LeeTeuk and KyuHyun, telling them that I could not make it. Good thing that they had already finished their coffee break.

LeeTeuk: I’m heading off to meet KangIn.

He said on the phone. I could hear KyuHyun’s muffled voice in the background and it seemed that he was talking on the phone as well – but with someone else.

I needed to ask EunHyuk since he was the closest to _____, and he was my best friend. I knocked hastily on the door and ShinDong opened the door.

ShinDong: Oh hey---

I dashed into the dorm and kicked off my shoes without greeting ShinDong and asked where EunHyuk was.

ShinDong: Mwo, wait, aren’t you supposed to meet---? Oh right, he’s in his room.

I looked over my shoulder and thanked him. I walked down the corridor and burst into EunHyuk’s room. He was sitting on his swivel chair facing the other member on his bed.

Why wasn’t I surprised when I find that the other member was KyuHyun?

KyuHyun hopped off the bed and stood up, dusting off invisible dust off his jeans.

KyuHyun: Hyung.

He greeted me but did a bad job of hiding his surprise.

DongHae: I need to talk to EunHyuk alone; can you possibly wait until we finish for a moment? It’s pretty important.

The two boys exchanged a quick glance. KyuHyun nodded and hurried out of the room. I watched after him and shut the door behind me.

Sensing something was amiss; EunHyuk pushed himself out of the swivel chair and got up. He faced me with an anxious expression.

EunHyuk: Hey---

Me: Did you know that she’s back?

I saw EunHyuk stiffen with fear but he quickly replaced his frozen expression with an awkward smile.

EunHyuk: Wait, what?

Me: You know who she is.

He sighed and sat back down on his chair slowly. He rested his palms on his thighs and thought about his next line.  But I was not generous enough to give him ample time.

Me: EunHyuk.

He raised his head gingerly but he refused to meet my eyes.

Me: EunHyuk.

I repeated, my tone firmer than usual. He looked at me with a rueful expression and that was when it hit me. I could not help but look at him with wide eyes.

Me: You knew she was here.

EunHyuk kept quiet and averted his eyes from me. He bit his bottom lip, ashamed that he did not tell me about ______’s arrival.

Me: Why didn’t you tell me?!

Just then, the door behind me pushed open. Our eyes averted to the door and KyuHyun’s head popped in.

Me: We’re not done yet, Kyu. Just give us a few more minutes---

KyuHyun: She didn’t want to meet you.

EunHyuk instantly shot up from his chair and his usual calm composure disappeared.

EunHyuk: KyuHyun!

KyuHyun shook his head.

KyuHyun: She wanted to hide from you.

Me: What---?

EunHyuk: KyuHyun!

The maknae jumped up in surprise at EunHyuk’s firm tone. I heard EunHyuk sigh from behind me. This time, he spoke with a calmer, softer tone.

EunHyuk: KyuHyun, please, let us talk.

KyuHyun: Ne, hyung…

He strode out of the room and shut the door behind him. I heard him lean against the wall along the corridor.

I turned my attention to EunHyuk.

Me: EunHyuk, please tell me where she is.

He shook his head. I took a step towards him and he flinched away.

Me: Please, EunHyuk, just tell me where she is. I can’t take it anymore.

I gulped and let out a sigh.

Me: It’s been 2 years since I’ve seen her. At least tell me where she is.

EunHyuk: I… I can’t.

Me: Why not? EunHyuk, I’d beg on my knees.

EunHyuk: I can’t tell you where she is.

I sighed exasperatingly and changed my request.

Me: Is she married?

EunHyuk: Wait, what?

Me: She’s married isn’t she?

I felt myself cringe and hope that EunHyuk would answer me. I hoped that he would say ‘no’. He let out a sigh and was hesitant but he managed to answer me.

EunHyuk: No----

I felt my hopes rise and was about to ask about SooHae.

EunHyuk: ---No, she is married.

I felt something myself holding back a waterfall of tears. I blinked and inhaled sharply, trying to remain my composure.

Me: Thanks for telling me.

EunHyuk: I’m sorry, Hae.

I shook my head

Me: No, it’s alright.

EunHyuk did not reply. Instead, he plopped down on his swivel chair and turned to face his desk.

Me: Alright, I’ll be going then.

EunHyuk turned to face me with a rueful look and nodded, not knowing what else to say to comfort me. He knew that his comfort would not be enough.

EunHyuk: Alright.

I left the room and hear KyuHyun’s voice in the living room. I emerged from the corridor and apologized to ShinDong for not greeting him before. He shrugged it off and asked me to join him and KyuHyun on the couch. But I shook my head and told them that I would be back.

KyuHyun: W-Where are you going?

He stuttered.

He must be worried I would go out looking for ____, I thought.

Me: I won’t be long.

KyuHyun: Hyung…

I grabbed the house and car keys from the bowl that sat on the television stand and left the dorm. I trotted down the street and unlocked one of our cars and hopped into it. I started the ignition and stepped on the accelerator, driving off wearing my heart on my sleeve.

EunHyuk’s POV:

KyuHyun came bursting in my room, telling me that DongHae went off without saying a word of where he was going. I grabbed the opportunity to call the girl he loved.

KyuHyun: I’m more worried about hyung and you want to call her?

I looked over my shoulder and pressed my phone to my ear, praying that ____ would pick up.

Me: Well, I did tell him that she was married. What if he found her and asked who she was married to? She might know how to answer and---

On the other side of the line, _____ answered.

____: Ya, oppa, I told you I’m going to play with SooHae today and you have just ruined the moment.

Me: What moment?

She sighed and I could imagine her shaking her head.

___: What’s up?

Me: I erm told DongHae that you were er… Married.

____: WHAT?!

I took the phone from my ear and cupped one hand over my ear which was assaulted by _____’s squeal.

Me: Okay, okay, look, I’m sorry, alright? But you were the one who said you didn’t want him to find out in the first place.

She sighed exasperatingly.

____: Yes, I did. But not to this extent! This is ridiculous!

Me: But you’ve gotta admit that it was pretty good for an on-the-spot excuse.

____: Oppa, this isn’t funny.

It was my turn to sigh.

Me: I know, I know. Look, I’m really sorry but just play along, will you? And tell Mir too, just in case some random dude just shows up at your front door and you know, asks you some questions about who your husband is and who the father of your child is and---

­­­­______: TOUCH WOOD!

Me: I’m just joking! Jeez lady, you take things so seriously.

______: If that actually happens, I am going to smack you like there’s no tomorrow.

Me: Deal.

______: I’ll talk to you soon, oppa. Thank you.             

Me: See ya and your welcome.

And I hung up.

Your POV:

Just as I cut the line off, there were repetitive knocks on the front door.

SooHae: SOMEONE’S AT THE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR!

I heard SooHae scream from her room.

Mir: I’ll get it!

I thought about what EunHyuk said to me and the stupid curse he laid on me. Alarmed, I yelled for Mir to stop and thank goodness he did.

Or did he?

Mir: Soo--- Come on, go get your omma for me.

I heard him say in a composed tone. I heard the quick enthusiastic footsteps of my baby girl coming into the room. I spun around and hauled her up in my arms as she squealed.

SooHae: Omma, omma, there’s someone at the door for you!

I planted a kiss on her forehead and managed a smile. I strode out of the room and stood rooted to the ground when I saw who it was.

Damn that cousin of mine.

He was looking skyward but he lowered his gaze and met my eyes. His eyes bounced to our daughter, then at Mir, then at me and back at SooHae. He bowed and I couldn’t help but give him an awkward bow back. I called Mir over and told him to keep SooHae busy.

Mir: Sure.

Mir carried SooHae in his arms and brought her into her room.

I walked towards the man standing on the threshold and acknowledged him.

Me: Hi

DongHae: Hi

Me: What’s up?

I asked nonchalantly.

DongHae: Mind if we go for a walk?

I shrugged but agreed to his request. I grabbed the spare keys from a porcelain bowl I used to hold my keys.

I shut the door behind me after yelling to Mir that I was going to get some fresh air (knowing that SooHae would beg me to follow if she knew I was really going to the park to talk with DongHae, also known as SooHae’s biological father).

We headed to the nearby park in silence and followed the path through the park. I finally slowed down and spun around to face DongHae.

Me: Okay, seriously, why are you here?

DongHae: It’s nice to see you too.

I blinked. It was nice yet it wasn’t nice to see him. Did that even make sense?

Me: Look, DongHae, I----

DongHae: You didn’t tell me you were married to Mir.

He scowled at Mir’s name. I shot him a nasty glare and he softened his expression. Then, I just realized what EunHyuk had told me – that I was ‘married’. Ugh, that cousin of mine was going to get it.

Me: Yes

I said, trying to sound convincing.

Me: I’m married.

DongHae: To Mir.

Me: To… Mir.

DongHae: You’re lying.

I blinked in surprise.

Me: Why would I be lying?

I asked, trying to play it cooly.

DongHae: Your eyes. Your eyes are dilated – and they still are. And besides, you aren’t even looking at me in the eye. I know you, ______. You’re such a bad liar.

Shoot. Did I just get caught?

No. No. I will not lose. I will not get caught.

Me: It’s true!

DongHae: And when you lie, your voice tends to get more high-pitched.

I clasped a hand over my mouth and looked away guiltily.

Damn. I just got caught.

DongHae: So who is it?

Me: What?

DongHae: Whose your real husband?

Okay, maybe I didn’t get caught after all.

Me: He’s in America.

DongHae: Why didn’t he come here with you and…Your daughter?

He cringed at the last word. I shrugged.

Me: Work got in the way of our plans.

DongHae: Well he should at least come here… Unless…

I straightened my back.

DongHae: Unless you’re lying again.

Me: I am so not lying!

DongHae: _____, when I was getting to know you, I heard someone ask you what kind of guy you’d want as your husband.

I dug through my memory but could not picture it in my mind.

DongHae: It was Sora (EunHyuk’s sister) who asked you that. EunHyuk and I were standing outside of that karaoke place remember? I barely knew you then.

I nodded, the memory slowly seeping through my mind.

DongHae: You know what you said?

I shook my head, unable to grasp that part of my memory. DongHae slowly met my eyes.

DongHae: You said you will not marry a guy who would always put work first before family. So I’m guessing that your so-called husband is a fake. Because if I recall a few seconds ago, you said that his work got in the way of your plans. But didn’t you already plan your trip before coming here? He would’ve known and would ask for a temporary leave.

He swallowed before continuing.

DongHae: Seriously, ______, how dumb do you take me for?

I stood rooted to the ground and blinked, trying to take in whatever DongHae had just blurted out of his mouth.

DongHae: And from your reaction, I’m guessing you’re alone.

This time, I met his eyes.

DongHae: _______, is she my daughter?

Why is he doing this to me?

DongHae: She is, isn’t she?

I refused to answer him.

DongHae: So I guess my suspicions were right…

I blinked and fumbled with my words.

Me: N-No, she is definitely not--- She isn’t---- No, she isn’t---

DongHae: Silence means yes, _____.

Me: I am not silent now.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

DongHae: You were before.

He held a grim expression.

DongHae: Why wouldn’t you admit to me?

Me: Because!

DongHae: Because what?

Me: Because what we did before was an accident!

I replied, a little too loudly. I caught some passer-bys looking in our direction. Furiously, I grabbed DongHae by his wrist and pulled him into a more enclosed area – behind bushes and surrounded by more trees.

DongHae: Stop… Stop saying it was an accident.

Me: It was DongHae.

I inhaled sharply and started blabbering.

Me: We were an accident. That night was an accident. She was an accident. Coming here was an acci----

DongHae: Did you just say that SooHae was an accident?

Oh. .

! Face palm yourself, ___(your full name)___!!!!!

Me: I didn’t.

DongHae: You did. You just did. Look, you’re shaking. You’re----

I turned to face him with a frown on my face. DongHae’s sudden smile dropped and he approached me.

DongHae: _____... I just want to know if SooHae really is my daughter.

I told myself earlier – I will not lose.

Me: No, she isn’t your daughter. She’s Mir’s, okay? Look, I lied to you.

Agony flashed across DongHae’s face and I could not bear to look at him. I felt guilty for lying to him and I felt horrible for not giving SooHae a father, despite that she was an accident.

My accident child.

I started to walk off when I felt DongHae pull me back and spin me around to face him. His faces was centimetres from mine and I could not help but notice how glossy his eyes were than before.

DongHae: Don’t… Don’t lie to me.

His voice was shaky, indicating that he was about to shatter into little fragments and cry. Soon enough, a tear fell from his left eye.

DongHae: Don’t lie to me, _____. Don’t freaking lie to me.

I felt guilty for hurting him. It was not intentional. But it damn well felt like it.

DongHae enveloped me in his strong arms and cried in my shoulder.

DongHae: I just found you after 2 years, with a daughter I never… Never even knew.

He sniffled and I felt his tears drench my shirt.

DongHae: You don’t know how much it hurt to find out that you were married – even though it was a lie.

He inhaled sharply and continued, his voice shakier than ever.

DongHae: You don’t know… How it feels like to live alone and wait for the person you love to return… You don’t know.

I started crying silently and gingerly wrapped my arms around him. I felt him lift his head up to see me and was stunned to see tears well up in my eyes. He hugged me tighter and rocked me from side to side.

DongHae: Don’t leave me again. I’ll die if you do.

He started sobbing again.

DongHae: I can’t live without you.

…..

We sat on the bench in the park, our shoulders glued together – unbreakable but comfortable.

I missed him and missed being with him ever since I left. But since I had SooHae, she reminded me that some things had to be left in the past.

I had to move on.

He had to move on.

I sighed and held DongHae’s hand, looking straight into his eyes. His eyes were still glossy but they did not hold any signs of tears forming.

Me: DongHae… I need to tell you something…Important.

DongHae gulped down and hesitated but nodded.

Me: We should…

Something glinted in his charismatic eyes. I dropped my shoulders to suppress a sigh.

Me: We should start seeing other people.

DongHae: What?

I gave his hand a squeeze and smiled ruefully.

Me: It’s the best for us.

DongHae: What about SooHae?

I shook my head.

Me: This is for the three of us.

DongHae: SooHae cannot live without her father!

Me: I never said you were her father!

DongHae: You cannot just choose what you think is best! SooHae without her father is just ridiculous.

Me: DongHae, I went away because of one thing.

DongHae: And what is that one thing?

I lowered my gaze and brought it back up to his eye level.

Me: It was to move on.

DongHae inhaled sharply and I could see him trying to pull back his tears but one eventually fell. I hated hurting him but this was the only way to live happily. Once we moved on, we would be friends and take turns to take care of SooHae. It was to prevent from getting hurt from the same person over and over again.

After all my experiences, I found that love held consequences. Once you let someone in, he would always have the power to break you. It was saddening, really, to think that the person you love could hurt you so much.

Maybe it was because we trust them just so much.

DongHae: Don’t leave me again.

Me: We weren’t together DongHae, I couldn’t have left you anyway---

DongHae: I mean just don’t leave me.

He stood up and faced me before hauling me up and crashing me into his arms. I was frozen stiff. Why was our relationship so complicated?

Before, it was easy and friendly.

Now, I just didn’t know. I wanted to be in his arms but I didn’t want to, at the same time. Why was I so complicated? No wonder boys always complain about girls being illegible. Well… Guys were too.

DongHae: Please, _____, please let me back in.

I didn’t respond.

DongHae: Let me back in... I… I beg you…

And he fell to his knees with his hands sliding down my arms.

DongHae: I feel like I’m dying inside.

My heart pounded against my chest as I glanced around the area hidden by trees. Thank goodness that we were camouflaged by the canopy and undergrowth. I kneeled to the ground slowly and wiped his tears away with a swipe of my thumb.

I shook my head solemnly.

Me: I… I just can’t, DongHae.

DongHae: I can’t help it, alright? Part of me wants and knows that I have to let go.

He looked away from me.

DongHae: But all of me just wants to be with you.

He turned to look at me.

DongHae: I just want to be with you, _____, no one and nothing else.

The next day, my mind kept replaying the dramatic outing I had with DongHae. It haunted my memories, even as I was trying to spend some time with my daughter at home.

I got a call from my parents saying that they wanted to meet up with me for lunch with my older sister. SooHae was reckless today so I wanted her to stay at home. I called up my sister and told her to come over the next day so that she could have alone time with SooHae, instead of having other people avert my daughter’s attention from her aunt.

SooHae: Ommmmmmma, where are you going?

SooHae tugged on the end of my shirt as I slipped on a pair of red high ankle converse. I kissed the top of her head and let Mir scoop her up in his arms. -

Me: I’ll be right back sweetie. Uncle Mir will take care of you. Omma’s just going for lunch with someone.

SooHae gasped in excitement.

SooHae: Is it appa?! I want to go too, I want to go too!

I shuddered and immediately thought about what had happened yesterday.

Me: SooHae, I told you, your appa isn’t here.

I ruffled the top of SooHae’s head and looked at Mir.

Me: I’ll be back before 2.30.

He nodded and gave my shoulder a squeeze.

Mir: Be careful.

I nodded and waved to them before leaving for lunch with SooHae’s aunt.

DongHae’s POV:

My heart couldn’t take it. I was too weak.

I lay in bed, my hand clutching my shirt over my heart. I squeezed my eyes tight and rolled from one side to the other. It hurt so much.

Why does love hurt so much?

I heard the door open and poked one eye open to see EunHyuk sit on the edge of my bed. He had something in his hands.

EunHyuk: DongHae, it’s already 12.30, come and have brunch.

I shook my head.

Me: I’m not hungry.

EunHyuk: You didn’t even eat dinner, you can’t skip brunch!

Me: But I’m not hungry.

I repeated. I really did not have the mood to eat. I guess depression really overtook me.

EunHyuk shifted closer to me.

EunHyuk: You’ve gotta at least eat something.

He handed me a granola bar.

EunHyuk: Here, it’s yogurt flavour. It’s one of your favourites.

I shook my head and pulled the pillow from under my head and covered my face with it.

EunHyuk: DongHae, look, I know you like her---

Me: --Love her.

I corrected him. He sighed exasperatingly.

EunHyuk: --Love her, but don’t you think that maybe… You should move on? You can always take shifts and take care of SooHae.

Me: I can’t… It feels impossible.

EunHyuk: Just try…

Seeing my state, EunHyuk continued.

EunHyuk: To make you feel better…

He pushed himself up and threw the granola bar on my bedside table. I peaked from under the pillow. He sighed.

EunHyuk: _____... She’s meeting up with her sister and parents right now. Mir and SooHae are alone at home so you can----

I shot up from my bed.

Me: Thank you

And I rushed out of the house.

Luckily I was in casual clothes and not my pyjamas.

I got to the house quickly and hesitated to knock.

But I did.

The door was pulled open by a stunned Mir who blinked with his back ramrod straight.

Mir: Hey

Me: Hey

Mir: Erm ____ isn’t here

Me: Is it alright if I came in?

Mir: I don’t think---

But I brushed past him and was greeted by a screaming SooHae who ran down the hall. She was calling Mir.

Mir: Hey----! Wha--? SooHae, get back to the room!

SooHae: Uncle--- Mmm?

She looked at me with her innocent eyes and blinked. She ran to Mir and tugged on his pants.

SooHae: Mmm friend…?

Mir blinked and shook his head.

Mir: No--- Well, sort of. Well, not exactly, his actually---

SooHae: Appa? Is he my appa?

Mir: SooHae, not now…

She whispered. But it was loud enough for me to hear. So this SooHae, this little girl, has been asking for her father?

And yet _____ hid her from me.

Mir sighed.

Mir: This is Uncle DongHae---

I scooped SooHae up in my arms, frightening her for a moment. But our eyes locked.

Me: I’m your father.