Ch. [70]

In My Arms

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 

 

Siwon was the first one to wake up. He groaned lowly as he opened his eyes and he couldn't help but smile when the first thing he saw was Hyukjae in front of him, their hands still linked together. The smaller was sleeping peacefully, with Kyuhyun's arms around him, holding him firmly. He closed his eyes again contented. It was the very first time he woke up not feeling exhausted. 

 

It took another hour for Kyuhyun to wake up and he closed his eyes tighter instead of opening them, not wanting to get away from the warmth that Hyukjae's body emitted. He groaned lowly and his slight movements made the smaller stir in his sleep as well. 

 

Siwon looked at the two that had just awaken and he smiled as Hyukjae opened his eyes slowly. 

 

The way Hyukjae looked at him made Siwon feel out of breath. No, Hyukjae wasn't looking at him, he was just looking at his direction. Hyukjae wasn't seeing anything in particular, he was just there as a container.  

 

Siwon sighed softly and caressed Hyukjae's hand gently before kissing the back of it, looking at how Kyuhyun also kissed his cheek and sat up. "," Kyuhyun threw himself back to the bed, groaning lowly because he felt dizzy and weak. 

 

"What's wrong?" Siwon asked, also sitting up and letting out a grunt when he also felt his head hurt and spin.  

 

"Nothing," Kyuhyun sighed, sitting up again and looking down at how Hyukjae stood in his position. "I just got dizzy...," he explained, leaning down to kiss Hyukjae's temple lovingly. "Good morning, Hyuk," he whispered.  

 

They stood up and took a shower. Kyuhyun and Hyukjae showered together as Siwon went to the other room to do the same. They changed their clothes and breathed in and out deeply. "Aren't you hungry, Hyuk?" Kyuhyun asked as he fixed his own clothes after Hyukjae's. "Because I'm starving..." 

 

Kyuhyun hated how he didn't get any kind of reply and he felt his chest contract painfully. 

 

The doorbell rang and Siwon was the one opening the door, welcoming Hangeng and Heechul with all kind of food for them to have breakfast. 

 

It was the first time in months they ate so much and so fast. Kyuhyun didn't remember loving food so much as that exact moment where nothing was enough. Heechul and Hangeng didn't say anything and just ordered more food, looking at the two males eating desperately and Hyukjae just being calm in between them. 

 

"You slept for almost two days," Heechul informed as she saw Hyukjae eating slowly by himself, with one hand being held by Kyuhyun's firmly.  

 

Siwon and Kyuhyun gasped looking up from their plates, their eyes wide open. "What?" 

 

Heechul sighed. "I came by yesterday morning to bring you breakfast but the three of you were still sleeping, so I stayed here the entire day and you didn't wake up even for a minute." 

 

Siwon and Kyuhyun looked at each other for a second before smiling at Heechul. "We were tired," Kyuhyun simply said before handing Hyukjae pieces of meat that the other ate silently.  

 

The day went by calmly, with mostly Kyuhyun staring at Hyukjae, not letting go of his hand and simply kissing his temple or his cheek every time he wished. Siwon had to dedicate himself to go out and look for a good doctor that could attend Hyukjae and he didn't come back until almost midnight when Kyuhyun and Hyukjae were already sleeping.  

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 

 

"Are you sure she's good?" Kyuhyun asked, holding Hyukjae's waist firmly as they walked to the elevator towards the doctor's office. 

 

"She's the greatest in the country," Siwon assured, nodding as he held Hyukjae's hand firmly.  

 

Kyuhyun nodded, looking at Hyukjae and leaning closer to kiss his temple lovingly, stepping into the elevator and stepping out when they finally reached the floor.  

 

It didn't take long for the doctor to pass Hyukjae and the three of them sat before her while she explained the dozens of tests they had to go through before she could give a certain diagnosis. "My theory though," she said. "Is that he went through something so traumatic that he now has a disorder. The thing about disorder though, is that they have a lot of symptoms and they can be different in every person," she smiled as he looked how tight Kyuhyun was holding Hyukjae's hand. "Post-traumatic stress disorder is a way for a person to protect themselves. It's not bad, but it can become some kind of death in life." 

 

It took a great amount of energy for Kyuhyun to listen carefully until the end of the explanation. "Will he come back to normal?" Kyuhyun finally asked, looking at the woman in front of him with hopeful eyes. 

 

The doctor stood quiet for a few seconds before replying carefully. "We don't know, we need to see the studies." 

 

Kyuhyun felt his chest tighten in worry. "But if he does...," he continued. "How long would it take?" 

 

The doctor looked at him again before glancing at Hyukjae. "We don't know, no one can know that," she said. "It could be one second, but it could be years, maybe he could never come back to how he was..." 

 

He couldn't hear anymore. Kyuhyun closed his eyes and breathed in and out deeply, trying to ignore the words Siwon and the doctor were sharing at the moment. He opened his eyes only to look by his side. Hyukjae was looking nowhere in particular, just sitting there gracefully. Kyuhyun reached a hand up and caressed his wife's hair lovingly, smiling at how beautiful he was. "I love you...," he simply whispered, leaning closer to kiss his cheek. "And I won't give up on you." 

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 

 

It took them a whole week to finally be done with every laboratory test and strange things that Hyukjae had to go through. Kyuhyun was there all the time, partially because the smaller wouldn't allow other people to touch him and Kyuhyun had to calm him down.  

 

The next appointment with the doctor was the next day and Kyuhyun had high expectations. "You're a doctor, how come you don't know what that is?" 

 

Siwon rolled his eyes. "I'm a ing cardiologist, I have no idea what that red mark means," he defended himself. "Just wait until tomorrow." 

 

Kyuhyun groaned, hugging Hyukjae tightly before kissing his forehead. "Go already, we need to take a shower and sleep." 

 

Siwon raised an eyebrow. "Excuse you," he shook his head, leaving all the results on the table. "I'm not leaving him." 

 

Kyuhyun glared at Siwon. "He's my wife," he simply stated. "Now go away and come back to pick us up tomorrow." 

 

"I'm not your driver!" Siwon exclaimed.  

 

Kyuhyun frowned slightly and hugged Hyukjae protectively. 

 

Siwon sighed deeply. "Fine...," he simply muttered. "Wake up early and be ready at nine." 

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely. "Of course." 

 

As soon as Siwon left, Kyuhyun turned to look at Hyukjae. The smaller didn’t look at him. He didn’t move. Hyukjae was just standing there, as if expecting to receive an order.

 

“Hyuk…,” Kyuhyun called in a sweet whisper. “Hyukkie…,” he looked down, looking how Hyukjae’s eyes pierced his body, as if he was a ghost. “Let’s go and get some sleep,” he finally gave up, holding Hyukjae’s hand softly before dragging him to their bed.

 

Kyuhyun woke up earlier than Hyukjae and he smiled as he saw the other still sleeping. “I missed you,” he whispered lovingly, leaning in to kiss the smaller’s temple. “I missed you so much, Hyukjae… I thought I would die.”

 

Hyukjae opened his eyes as Kyuhyun caressed his cheek softly, but he wasn’t looking at Hyukjae that was in front of him. Hyukjae was looking through him to the nothingness. Kyuhyun felt his chest contract painfully at the idea of Hyukjae not even recognizing his presence.

 

Sighing deeply, Kyuhyun stood up and guided Hyukjae to take a shower together before finally dressing up. “Hyuk,” he called with a gentle smile on his lips as he sat down by Hyukjae’s side on the edge of the bed. “Here, this is for you,” he said, leaving a flower on top of the bedside table. “I love you…”

 

Kyuhyun looked at his watch, realizing Siwon would arrive any second and he didn’t realize how Hyukjae’s eyes went to the flower, looking at it intently.

 

Hyukjae lifted his free hand up, slowly reaching for the flower o the small table before the doorbell rang and Kyuhyun pulled him up, dragging him away. He took one last glance at the flower before following Kyuhyun silently.

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

 

The doctor sighed deeply. “We found some damaged tissue in the frontal and parietal lobe of the brain,” she explained. “But considering the damaged specific areas, he shouldn’t be showing this kind of behavior.”

 

Kyuhyun frowned, not really understanding what the woman was saying and he turned towards Siwon who seemed to be thinking deeply about it. “Does that mean…,” Kyuhyun turned to look at the doctor again. “That being like this, is Hyukjae’s choice?”

 

The doctor turned towards Kyuhyun and gave a soft smile, nodding. “His brain is damaged, but there are consistent proves that it’s healing. The fact that he doesn’t talk but understand what’s been said to him, means it’s his choice not to do it. He is healthy and can do everything as a normal person would, the fact is, he just doesn’t want to come back as he was before.”

 

Kyuhyun held Hyukjae’s hand firmly, giving it a soft squeeze as he looked how the smaller’s gaze had drifted to the emptiness, as always. “How can I make him want to come back?”

 

The woman in front of them sighed softly. “We’ll need to schedule language and communication therapies,” she said. “What both of you can do now,” she looked at Siwon and Kyuhyun. “Is just act as before, as if nothing had happened. You can go both to work and eat normally.”

 

“But he’ll stay alone!” Siwon exclaimed. “Wouldn’t it be dangerous?”

 

“At all,” the doctor said. “In my opinion, he knows what’s good and what’s bad. He’s aware of time and space as well as his own persona. He knows what’s dangerous and what he can do. Although he might decide to just not listen or not see, or not talk, he could do it anytime. Bringing back the routine can bring him certain security.”

 

“Will that really work?” Kyuhyun asked. “I’ll do it if it brings him back,” he was determined. He could walk to the end of the world if it was for Hyukjae.

 

The doctor stood silent for a few seconds before shaking her head. “I honestly can’t be sure of that,” she said. “We don’t know if he wants to come back… we can only help him feel secure in his surroundings,” she looked at Hyukjae. “The fact is… he can hear us, but he decides he doesn’t want to understand what we’re saying. His brain has shut down in order to protect him…”

 

Kyuhyun brought Hyukjae’s hand up to his cheek, looking at the other’s profile. “Hyuk…,” he called softly. “It’s alright, don’t worry… we’ll get through this.

 

I promise you we will.”

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●• 




                        

A/N: Angsty + mpreg requested fic~

You can throw stones at me for not updating this is so long...