Traumatized

That one 'Beauty' for that one 'Beast'

Hyunsik room

Hyunsik tried his very best to sleep. He opened an internet browser from his phone and search the keyword "Yoonique" before realizing that it is Yoon Doojoon individual fanclub name.

"Aish" Hyunsik hissed.

He put his phone down and connected his ipod with the speaker and played a soft music as a lullaby. He wasn't sure what in his mind but he just felt uneasy with this situation. Hyunsik get up from his bed and took out one big box under his bed. It was a collection of his old toys and 2 rings. He pickup up the rings and clenched onto his palm.

 


Flashback

* Hyunsik POV *

I dropped my chopstick and let out a small sigh. I cannot digest what noona told us at the dining table just now. Everything was blurred and I don't have an appetite anymore to continue eating. I remembered noona holding my hand while offering some noodles using her chopstick and asked me to finish my meal but I just can't.

I excused myself and went to my room. I tried my very best to hold my tears from falling. My life revolves around her. How can she make sudden decision and leave me like this?

"Hyunnie-ah, I got an offer to continue my study in Japan. They might enroll me with their internship job later. Hyunnie-ah, let's meet in Japan on my graduation day neh?"

I buried my face on the bed and screamed. How can I be the last person to know about this news? Eomma and appa should know well how close noona with me and this news of noona leaving me not for several months but almost 3 years is not a small issue for me.

I don't want to be apart with noona since we are sort of having a sibling-couple relationship. My whole life, there is always noona to help. She is not only my sister but also my second mother, a great best friend and a place where I can rely too. My first time of getting used with the chopstick, noona was there. My first bowling and late night movie, noona was there. My first soccer games winning, noona was there. My first time being dumped by a girl, noona was there. My first time cooking ramyeon for myself, noona was there. Not forgetting where noona become the first person to teach me how to ride the bicycle, how to play piano and how to dress up well. It’s all noona.

I heard someone opening my room door before I heard noona calling my name. "Hyunnie-ah, Hyunnie-ah"

Still burying my face on the bed, I begged to noona, "Noona, please don't go. Please I beg you.. Who's going to help me with my homework after this? Who's going to buy me ice cream late at night? Why don’t you tell me earlier so that I will have time to prepare myself? Do you hate me this much? Are you feeling burdened when I always stick with you all these time?"

"Hyunnie-ah. Don't be like this. It’s all nonsense. Noona is going there to study. You need to be strong. So you can help noona to take care of appa and eomma. You always told me that I have good eyes in fashion. I am continuing this dream with your spirit in it," Noona chuckled and grabbing me into her arm. "Even for me it's not easy decision, Hyunnie-ah".

"My baby Hyunsik, we cannot let noona go there with a sad feelings right? Come here my baby. We will go and see noona when we got time okay?" Eomma and appa entered the room before eomma hugged me from the back while patting on my shoulder to calm me down. I understand well what eomma said. We are not that rich family that can easily went here and there. I know noona want to study and do well sp that he can help our family in future.

And there's the reality, when 3 days after that, we send noona to airport. I am quite disappointed when at first, appa doesn’t let me go to the airport together because he worried I might do something stupid there. On our way home from airport after sending noona, I saw my reflection from the car windows, my tears just doesn’t stop falling and here I am for the next three years, living alone with appa and eomma.

1 year after that

It's become a tradition for me to have a video call session with noona every week. We used to do it every night before noona complained how hard her assignments there. Noona alrady changed her house twice in one year because the rent just went higher and she cannot afford it. Her new house now is smaller than her previous one but I guess it's enough since she will be living by herself after all.

"Annyeong noona!" I sat in front of my MacBook while putting the earphone in my ears.

"Hyunnie-ah, wow, you have a new hairstyle there. So handsome!” Noona teased me. Last week noona advised me to get a new hair cut to match the trend and no doubt, I was in a hot spot at school again with this brand new hair.

“Hyunnie, want to see something?" I nooded before noona went to get a big black cardboard with all pictures sort of pictures sticked on it. "This is my new project for this week. I need to recreate back the latest fashion on the magazine? And you want to see something? This is a picture of 6 years-old-you wearing one of brown jacket that dad bought from Hong Kong. You remember?" Noona move the cardboard closer to the camera.

"Daebak noona! I will be popular at Japan!" I joked around.

We continue the video call for almost one hour before saying goodbye. Surprisingly, that is the last video call between noona and I before we heard that sad news.

5 days after the video call

"Excuse me. Is this Mr Im Ji Hoon? I am the International student advisor at Bunka Fashion College. It is unfortunate to inform that Miss Lim Hee Young was involved in an unexpected accident at her apartment last night,"

My mind just turns black. Eomma was crying on the floor while appa wandering around, screaming and mumbling. Noona is living more than 1,000 kilometres away and we supposed to have our regular video call session tomorrow. This is not what I expected to hear. Not this kind of news.

On our way to the airport, appa received another phone call from the hospital. They seek appa permission to let noona getting an immediate operation since he lost a lot of blood from that accident. Eomma cannot stop crying and I make a hint to appa to ask what are the accident that happened to noona.

“Murago” Appa shouted and start to curse before I grabbed the phone and end the conversation.

My noona was stabbed on her right arm. BY HER OWN BOYFRIEND.

What the heck is happening that makes her in this unfortunate situation? And how come I never know that noona has a boyfriend all these time? We are having a video call almost every week for 1 year and I never saw or spot any existence of men in her house. And how this can happened when I know how noona was?

I tried to hold my anger and keep myself busy in comforting appa and eomma. Eomma seems really weak and we need to grab a wheelchair to assist her to the departure gate. I was worried to see appa and eomma in this condition, but I worried more with what just happened to noona.

Upon arriving in Japan, the hospital officer explained that it is only minor injuries but there is a  possibility of noona become traumatized with others. Noona lost a lot of blood and the hospital need to find a blood donor for her. Because all of us have the same blood type; I volunteered myself to help noona. We cannot see noona yet since she is still in the operation rooms. I bought some sushi for appa and eomma before some of college representative came and greet us.

I went to the restroom and look myself in the mirror. I felt really selfish all this time when I always want to be protected by noona but I seldom had my time to help noona back. I cried myself out and stuck in the restroom crying until my eyes are swollen. And from that day, I promised to myself that I will protect noona from anyone who can bring harm to her. Especially male.

 


End of Flashback

* No one POV *

Hyunsik doesn’t realize that his tears already falling on his cheek. Hyunsik really have a soft spot in his heart if it is about Hee Young. Hyunsik look at the rings on his palm and he remembred Hee Young said that these rings are supposed to be her engagement ring but she discovered her boyfriend cheating with her own friend before she decided to break the relationship. Her boyfriend just couldn’t control his emotions and grabbed a knife on the kitchen and stabbed her arm. Hyunsik and his parents never got a chance to see that guy since Hee Young doesn’t want to have any relation with him anymore. She even won’t continue the law suit and just went back to Korea, leaving her bad memory alone in Japan.

And Hee Young is not the only one who cannot move on from that traumatized accident because it happens to Hyunsik too. Hyunsik tried to find ways to protect his sister in his own ways. When Hee Young are resting almost 4 months at home to recover back from the injury, Hyunsik spent most of his time to take care of his noona and even attend Hee Young physiotherapy sessions together. Part of Hyunsik felt really mad of what happened and part of it is feeling guilty for not be able to protect Hee Young.

That’s why Hyunsik become such a protective brother when Hee Young got back to Korea. The protective actions become more serious when Hee Young got her first job at Cube Entertainment. Hyunsik even used to have a hard time to let Hee Young work together with BTOB manager, Jintaek hyung during his trainee days because Jintaek hyung doesn’t know that Hee Young is his sister. That is when Hyunsik decided to tell BTOB members and the manager just to let others having no suspicious issue when they saw how close he was with Hee Young.

Knock knock knock

Hyunsik come to his sense and wipe his tears and keep back the rings in the box. He pretended to read a comic from the rack when he realized that Hee Young walked into the room.

“Hyunnie-ah, are you okay?” Hee Young can heard Hyunsik sobbing from outside of the room and sat beside Hyunsik on the bed.

“Neh, I am fine. Why are you not sleeping yet noona?” Hyunsik has his eyes fixed at the comic book.

“You know that you cannot lie to me right? I can read from your face,” Hee Young closed the book and turned Hyunsik face to face her. “Wae Hyunnie-ah?”

“……”

“Wae?” Hee Young brushed Hyunsik hair with her hand before holding both of his hands.

“Noona, is this still hurting you?” Hyunsik held Hee Young right arm.

“Uh Hyunnie-ah, why are you suddenly asked something like this?” Hee Young wiped Hyunsik tears.

“I am sorry noona, for not be able to protect you. I am sorry to see you getting hurt like this. I am sorry noona,” Hyunsik buried himself on Hee Young hugs.

“Wae, wae Hyunnie-ah. This is not your fault. It already more than 5 years now. We are all good now right? See, I can even carry heavy things using this arm,” Hee Young carried Hyunsik bag from the chair using her right arm.

“Can you promise me that you will be more careful after this?” Hyunsik whispered.

“Sure Hyunsik. I will. For your sake, for appa and eomma sake and ultimately for my own sake. Okay?” I smiled at Hyunsik.

“I just getting weird nightmare of someone hurting you. It's hard for me to get rid that horror memories from my head," Hyunsik mumbled. "Do you want to sleep in my room tonight noona? I guess I miss you so much,” Hyunsik requested. 

Hee Young nodded. "Let's have a fun and memorable dinner tomorrow with other kids okay?" Hee Young replied before lying down at the other mattress beside Hyunsik and turn on the small BTOB lamp in the room.

 


Picture credit:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto

http://cdn.decoist.com/wp-content

http://jto.s3.amazonaws.com/

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/

http://i.ytimg.com/vi