Innocent child.

Young daddy, Kris

Chapter 50- Innocent child.

---

 

“That will be twenty dollars and fifty two cents.” You scan all the things and place the groceries inside the plastic bag. The customer hands you the money and you gave her the change back.

“Thank you, please come again.” You smile and greet the customer off.

Finally the crowd lessened down bit by bit. You sat on your chair given, to take a few minute rests before continuing your new part-time work.

“I thought you were schooling?” The previous lady who asked you to work came and talk to you. You bow to her in respect and stretches your tired arms, “I need to learn how to earn money too.”

“You’re so responsible.” She gives out a motherly smile, “How old are you?” She asked out of curiosity.

“I’m going to be 18 this year.” You answered back.

She nodded, “You will be knocking off at two. That’s fast. Is there something you have to do later?”

You bit your lips. You wouldn’t want to say to an elder stranger lady that you have to take your three year old son back home because if you do, she will look down on you and judge you which you wouldn’t want to happen.

“I have afternoon classes.” You lied.

And the chat went on until the crowd starts again.

---

 

 

“Kids, what will you have to do when you go back home later?” Aiden’s childcare teacher asked the little kids.

Aiden raised up his hands and jumped in his seat, “AIDEN AIDEN!” He shouted his name for the teacher to notice him.

“Yes Aiden? What will you have to do when you reach back home?” The teacher asked.

Aiden smiled immediately, so widely that no one could see his eyes, “I will give this flower to mummy and say, ‘Aiden make this.’” He was so proud of himself, admiring his own made rose paper.


“Good job, Aiden.” The teacher clapped hands for him.

“Why should we do that?” The teacher asked the class again. This time, Aiden wanted to answer so he raised his hands up again.

“Let’s give the other friends to try and answer, Aiden.” The teacher said softly and smiled, giving the other kids to try and answer.

Aiden slowly puts down his hand and pout, showing his teacher a sad face.

After all the last minute talks, the kids were dismissed and for the very first time, you were early and you arrived early before Aiden even released.

You stand outside the childcare center, unlike the other mums who waited in front of the entrance just to take their kids back.

Slowly, the mum dispersed and left the childcare with their kids while each and every one of them looked at you like you owe them a living. You simply ignore them like usually and waited for Aiden.

“Omma.” Aiden saw you and came running to you, grabbing your hands. “Hi baby boy.” You swiped his soft hair to the side and wanted to walk away too but were stopped by Aiden’s teacher.

“Miss Wu, can I talk to you for a second?” The teacher asked. The moment you heard your surname which is not in used anymore, your heart shatters. You followed the teacher to the childcare with Aiden by your side.

It was so awkward talking to Aiden’s teacher who is a lot older than you and doesn’t have any child yet. In front of her, you seem just like a little girl.

“Miss Wu,” She started. You looked up and stopped her, “Please just call me Ara.”

“Oh…” The teacher gulped and continues, “For the past few days, I have been noticing that Aiden’s dad has been coming here and talking to Aiden but he didn’t bring Aiden home. Aiden will not leave the childcare until you come and take him. May I know if something happened, because this may affect Aiden’s behavior?”

You looked at Aiden who is eating gummy worms happily, totally ignoring what in the world is happening surround him.

“We have divorced. He can’t take Aiden with him.” You answered slowly.

“Oh...” The teacher slowly nod, “So will that means he will come here and visit Aiden quite often?” The teacher asked in concern.

You shakes your head and sighed, “No, don’t worry. He will never come back again for sure.” You smiled weakly.

“I’m so sorry for this, Ara. But please if anything that happens to Aiden that he behaves differently, please let us know. We can surely help you in this.” She took your hand and squeezes it, giving you some moral support.

 

 

 

“Omma, I have something for you.” Aiden holds your hand when walking down the lane to go back home. “Really, what is it?” You asked, looking down at him.

“Shhh…” He put his index finger on his little lips, “Aiden cannot tell omma. Later.”

You ruffled his soft hair and smile, “Thanks for being so cute, Aiden. You’re my only cure to my sadness.”

“Oh?” Aiden stopped and pulls your hand, “Omma sad?” Aiden widened his eyes.

“Yes. I’m sad.” You pouted your lips, acting like you’re sad.

“Then, come quick. Aiden give omma something.” He pulls your arm and ran back home.

---

 

 

Kris sat right at the very corner of the room, listening to his music through his ear piece. He became the old anti-social, arrogant and cold Kris back.

His grandma came with her wheelchair and stopped in front of Kris but Kris ignored her. Kris’s mum pulled one of the earpiece from Kris, ”Don’t you have any respect for your sick grandmother?”

Kris grabs back his earpiece and stands up, “If you want me to divorce Ara, I have done your request. If you want me to come back home, I’ve came back. Now, please leave me alone.” And he walks off.

He walked into his old room and smashed the door loud, making everyone in the house shocked.

Kris slammed his body to the bed and covers his face with the pillow. He wanted to go back home. He doesn’t want to stay in Canada anymore even though that is where he belongs but the thing is, his heart is in Korea and he can’t seem to be able to move on.

He has the urge to call you but then Kris will thought that you will find him a jerk for listening to his mum.

“!” Kris throws the pillow and the pillow hits Kris’s photo frame that is you and his wedding photo together, three years ago.

---

 

 

“I’m waiting.” You were told to close your eyes with both of your hands while Aiden takes out the present for you.

“Omma, count to three.” Aiden holds you hand. “One, two and three.” You counted and let go of your hands. Aiden small hands welcome you and you were surprised.

“Oh my god, you made this?” You take the paper rose and admired it, making Aiden feel proud of himself.

Aiden nod and grinned, “Aiden know omma like pink so Aiden make flower.” “Thank you, baby. Even though I don’t like pink, but this is so cute.” You hugged him and he hugged you back.

“Omma.” He called. You let go of the hug and face your little son,

 “Will appa come back?”