Aiden is CHINESE!

Young daddy, Kris

Chapter 30 – Aiden is CHINESE!

---

 

It is a school night. You were doing your job, cleaning up the kitchen and wiping the counters until it is sparkly, if that’s even possible. Kris is working on his homework in the study room beside Aiden’s bedroom. Aiden on the other hand has just finish bathing with the help of Kris. He wore his baby penguin designed pajamas and now he is hanging around in the living room, alone.

Aiden thought about what he asked his daddy when his daddy picked him up. Aiden ran to the kitchen with his fluffy teddy bear to get to you. “Omma, am I Korean?” He asked, hugging his bear.

You heard his voice and stop wiping the counters, turning your head behind, “Why are you asking me this?”

“Omma, just answer me.” Aiden stomped his feet cutely.

You kneeled in front of him and give him the answer, “You’re Chinese.”

Aiden tilted his head to the right with a confused face, “Why?”

You think for a while, “Your surname is Wu and Wu is a Chinese surname. That’s why you’re Chinese.”

“But we are living in Korea?” Aiden asked again with a big question mark floating on top of his head.

You chuckled, answering his question, “Because your appa is Chinese.”

“Oh…” He paused, thinking his next question, “Then what is hello in Chinese?”

You scratch your head and shrugged your shoulder, “I don’t know. Go tell appa.”

Aiden nod his head and ran up the staircase to get to Kris. He knocked on the door and turns the handle to open.

“Appa, appa.” Aiden sat on the baby sofa.

Kris takes out his earpiece and turn to him, “Wae?”

“Aiden is Chinese, right?” Aiden put his legs out the sofa while hugging his bear.

“…” Kris thought, “Yeah.” He smiled painfully.

“Omma say I am Chinese because my surname is Wu.” Aiden explained what you said to him.

Kris nods his head. Such a simple answer given and still I could not answer him.

“Yeah, you know why?” Kris went over to him.

“A child’s race is always followed by the dad’s race. If I am Chinese, then you are Chinese too. But if omma is Korean, you are still Chinese, understand?” Kris explained.

Aiden nodded, “Oh, so I follow your race and that is why I am a Chinese, not Korean?”

Kris bit his lips and feels like his heart is exploding anytime soon because he is thinking at the different perspective point.

“Yeah, you’re right.” Kris fakes a smile.

“Then, how do we say I love you in Chinese?” Aiden asked.

“I love you?” Kris said, “Easy, follow after me, alright?”

“Wo.” Kris started, “Wo.” Aiden followed.

“Ai.” Kris continued and Aiden followed as well.

“Ni.” Kris finishes, “Ni.”

“Now put it together.” Kris said. Aiden think for a while, “Wo ai ni.”

“Good boy. Why do you want to know that?” Kris ruffled his hair.

“I want to tell omma that, ‘wo ai ni.’” Aiden answered and ran out the room remembering to close the door.

---

 

Satisfied, you wipe your hands at the kitchen towel clean, making sure everything is in place before you go to sleep. Little Aiden came running back to you still hugging onto his teddy bear.

“Omma, come here.” He asked you to come closer to him. You bend down and put your ear to his mouth.

“Wo ai ni.” Aiden whispered to you and quickly eye smiled. “Wo ai ni?” You tilted your head, looking at him with a confused face.

“It’s I love you in Chinese!” Aiden translated for you and went to the living room.

“What even, Aiden?” You chuckled at his silly self and follow him to the living room.

“Wo ai ni, Wu Aiden. Now, let’s go and sleep.” You off the television button and the lights. Aiden wanted you to carry him and gladly you carry him all the way into his crib.

“Good night, little guy. See you tomorrow.” You kissed his forehead and cover his tiny legs with his comfy blankets.

Softly, without making any noise, you close the door and went to your room.

---

 

“Next schooling Monday we will be going on to a camping and I hope every single one of you here will be present on that day, alright?” Mr. Kim reminded the students when the last bell of the day rang.

He received nods and yes as an answer then he went to pack his things. Kris and Taehyung were getting ready to exit the classroom and Mr. Kim interrupted.

“Kris, can I speak to you for awhile?” Mr. Kim asked but eyed Taehyung, signaling him to go away for a while.

Kris let out a not-again sigh and nod, “What?”

“Are you okay if I ask you to go to three days camping next week since you have a wife and a son to take care of?” Mr. Kim asked while adjusting his black specs.

“I’m not sure.” Kris said.

“Well, I hope you can attend since this camp will cover up your low attendance.” He advised.

Kris nod, understanding what he is trying to say, “I’ll try.”

“Thank you, I hope you can inform me tomorrow as I will be giving out forms.” Mr. Kim said then walked off.

Taehyung went back to Kris, asking him what the teacher asked, “What does he want?”

“He asks whether I can make it for the three day camp next week.” Kris sighed, continue to walk down the staircase.

His friend, Taehyung,  kept silence.

---

 

“Omma, I manage to get a spot in Seoul Design and Arts College!” Kai phone his mum.

“Really? Thank goodness, JongIn. When will you start?” His mum cried tears of joy over the phone.

Kai smiled, “Next Monday.”

His mum sob softly, “Thank you for changing, Jongin-uh.”

Kai’s eyes become to get teary when he knows how disappointed his parents are all these while.

“Omma, I’m sorry if I disappoint you. I will try my best to make you proud.” Kai assured.

There is still one more thing his family doesn’t know. That Kai has a son and the son now is two years old. He doesn’t know how to crack the secret open but surely one day, he has to admit and confess to his closed ones that Aiden is his son. But on one condition, he will admit it when Aiden grows up.

“Alright, son. Call me whenever you need help.” His mum said.

Kai nod his head as if she could see and answered, “I will omma. Take care of your health and be healthy. Annyeong.” He ended the call.

Kai let out a heavy sigh and look up in the sky while resting the back of his neck on the bench. He was taking his break after a hectic time serving the customer in the café.

“I don’t know whether I can do that or not.” He asked himself.

Kai doesn’t know whether he can say directly to Aiden that he is Aiden’s real father, not Kris. But on the other hand, should he really admit it? Or should he just keep it to the ones who already know. Kai knows that if Aiden knew, he would gain some hatred from Aiden and that is the last thing he wants in his life, hate from his own blood and flesh.

---

 

Since Kris finished class late on every Tuesday, you went to pick Aiden up from the childcare centre with Hyuna, as she wants to take along because her parents went to Vancouver for outstation for two weeks. She looks happy when she sees little kids running around, maybe reminding her that she once abort her own child because she doesn’t have any blessing from her parents to keep and raise the child.

“I saw Aiden.” Hyuna point to Aiden who is laughing to his friend, Hyunsoo.

---

 

“Remember yesterday when you ask me whether I am Korean?” Aiden turned and look at Hyunsoo with toy cars in his hand.

“Yeah, your dad told you already?” Hyunsoo asked.

Aiden shook his head and continue, “Omma say that I am Chinese because my appa is Chinese.”

Hyunsoo nod, “Really? Then how about your omma?”

“Oh? Hmm…” Aiden tapped his chin.

“A child’s race is always followed by the dad’s race. If I am Chinese, then you are Chinese too. But if omma is Korean, you are still Chinese, understand?”

“Ah… my omma is Korean.” He smiled, nodding his head.

Hyunsoo continued their toddlers talk and keep giggling until you and Hyuna approached them.

---

 

“Seems like my little baby boy is happy today.” You went in front of him and ruffled Aiden’s hair.

“Omma!” Aiden jumped in excitement and hugged your knees.

“Hi, Aiden.” Hyuna waved at Aiden then at Hyunsoo.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Oh Hyunsoo imnida.” Hyunsoo put his hands on his belly and bow to both of you.

“Annyeong, Hyunsoo.” You waved at him and gained a giggled from him.

“Let’s go back now, Aiden.” You held out your hand towards him and he grabbed it.

“Bye, Hyunsoo. See you tomorrow.” Aiden waved his little hands to his friend and Hyunsoo did the same.

“Omma, guess what I learned from teacher today.” He skips while holding your hand.

“What?” You looked down on him.

“I learned about words.” Aiden cheered.

“What words you learned?” You said.

“A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z.” He sings the alphabet song.

Hyuna smiled at his cute cracking voice and look at you, “He’s so smart for a two year old.”

You can’t deny too that he is TOO smart for a two year old and you nod, “I know right. I am not even smart.”

“Omma, omma, can we get ice-cream today since I learn words?” He pulled your hand.

“Alright, two scoops of ice-cream for you.” You agreed.

“Yey! I want chocolate and chocolate!” He jumped on the spot and both of you laughed at his silly moves.

The happy walk was interrupted by two ladies which seems familiar to you.

“Annyeong, Ara.” The older lady looked at you, putting away her glamorous shades.

“Oh.” You were shocked. It is Kris’s mother which means she is your mother-in-law.

“Annyeonghaseyo, omonim.” You bow to her while Aiden look up to the two ladies.

“How is Kris doing?” She asked.

You smiled, “He’s fine.” “Just fine?” She continued, this time with a cold tone.

What the heck? She doesn’t seem the same three years ago?

“He’s doing great.” You answered, trying to maintain your smile.

“Good. I want to meet him, is that okay for you?” She raised her eyebrow.

“Yes of course, omonim. You can stay in our house while you wait for him.” You said.

She shakes her head, “No, call him and tell him I want to see him at the hotel I’m staying at 8 for dinner tonight.” She passes you the address of the location and wears back her shades, and then walk off.

She doesn’t even ask how I am doing and how Aiden is doing.

Letting out a heavy and sad sigh, you ask Hyuna to bring Aiden elsewhere for awhile while you try to call Kris.

Kris answers it in a few seconds, “Hey babe.”

Your heart melted at his voice but you tried to maintain, “Oppa, your mum is here.”

---

 

“Oppa, you mum is here.”

Kris stopped his walking, “What?”

“She met me and she asked me how you’re doing.” You continued.

“Then?” his mouth is hanging, worried if she offended you in some way.

“She said she wants to meet you alone in this place, I’ll message you the address.”

“Oh.”

“Oppa?” You called.

“Babe, be careful on the way back home alright? I will meet her later. Try not to let her see you and Aiden.” his words are hiding something from you.

You nod you head, “Alright. Take care too, oppa.”

“I love you, Ara.” He kissed over the phone and end it.

.