Over

You Make Me A Good Man

(A day later)

 

Junhyung was up early in the morning, preparing everything he thought he would need and heading to the hospital to visit his fiancé before he went to get their son back. He’d contacted some people the night before, having discussed his plan with BoA and getting her support. He was going to get Ilhoon back today, no matter what it took. Hyunseung had suffered too much because of Jaewon, and today it was all going to stop. Junhyung would make sure of it.

The drive to the hospital was silent, more so than usual since Hyunseung wasn’t with Junhyung. At least, if Hyunseung was around, Junhyung wouldn’t have felt so alone. He thought a lot about how today could turn out, and he knew very well that he was Jaewon’s primary target. He knew that Hyunseung needed Ilhoon more than he needed Junhyung – the past seven years were a good enough indicator of that. Of course he wasn’t going to give his life away without a fight, but he’d already told BoA’s men that when it came down to it, Ilhoon was the priority.

Sighing softly, Junhyung could only hope that everything would end well. He didn’t want anyone, apart from Jaewon, to get hurt. He had enough of hurting people for one lifetime. All he wanted was to settle down quietly with his family, and live like any other normal people. But clearly that was too much of him to ask, since life kept throwing obstacle after obstacle at him.

It was nine by the time Junhyung arrived at the hospital, and he decided to stop by Yoseob’s room before heading to Hyunseung’s room. Luckily for him, Doojoon was at work at this time of the day. The man didn’t want to leave the twins alone in school where they were vulnerable, and probably still slightly traumatised from the attack four days ago.

Pulling a chair over, Junhyung sat down and looked at his best friend, still pale and unconscious. He took hold of Yoseob’s hand, letting out a heavy sigh and grimacing. Ever since meeting Yoseob fourteen years ago, he tried his best to protect the younger male. But everyone associated with me gets hurt somehow, Junhyung thought sadly. “Seob-ah, I’m going to get Ilhoon back and settle this with Jaewon once and for all. I… I might not come back, so if you can hear me, please take care of Hyunseung and Ilhoon for me,” he said, feeling his eyes start to water slightly.

Suddenly, the most miraculous thing happened, and Yoseob’s fingers twitched. Junhyung couldn’t help but feel his heart drop when the younger’s eyes fluttered open, and he blinked a few times before focusing on Junhyung’s figure beside him. “Hyung… you’re leaving?” he asked, voice cracking from how dry his throat was.

After getting a glass of water for him, Junhyung nodded. “I need to get Ilhoon back, you know it.”

“…come back to us, please,” Yoseob pleaded, tears in his eyes. He couldn’t lose his hyung, the person who helped him when no one else would, again. The past seven years were bad enough, and he couldn’t bear the thought of losing Junhyung forever.

“I won’t promise anything,” Junhyung replied, not wanting to bring Yoseob’s hopes up. Before Yoseob could protest anymore, Junhyung stood up, getting ready to leave. “You might want to call Doojoon; he’s been dead worried. I have to go now, Seob. I’m glad I got to know you.” And with that, Junhyung hurried out of the room, ignoring Yoseob calling out for him.

Hyunseung’s room wasn’t too far away, so Junhyung was there in just three minutes. He didn’t know to be glad or sad that Hyunseung was sleeping, but what he did know was that Hyunseung would never forgive him for leaving without a word again. With a heavy heart, Junhyung woke his fiancé up and waited for the elder to process his surroundings before saying anything. “Junnie?”

“Yeah, it’s me. I know it’s a little early in the morning but I went to BoA noona yesterday. She found out where Ilhoon is, and I’m getting him back,” Junhyung said determinedly. Hyunseung seemed to awaken instantly, his eyes widening in response to the piece of news.

“Let me go with you,” Hyunseung said, with the same determination that Junhyung had.

Shaking his head, Junhyung replied, “No, Seungie. You’re still recovering and this is going to be one of the most dangerous things I’ve ever done. Ilhoon needs you, so please, don’t argue with me on this. I love you so much, and I don’t think I could bear to lose you.”

“What about me?” Hyunseung retorted, tears welling up in his eyes. “Do you think I could bear to lose you? I know I’ve survived seven years without you, but I knew you would come back to me someday. You can’t ask me to sit here, not knowing if you would be safe or not.” By this time Hyunseung was crying, and Junhyung felt his heart break.

It took a few moments for Junhyung to formulate a reply, and he knew that Hyunseung wouldn’t like what he was going to say. “Ilhoon is our priority. If I don’t make it, you need to be here for him. You know I wouldn’t do this if I had a choice, Seungie. I love you.”

“Don’t say that! Don’t sound like you’re not coming back to me!” Hyunseung shouted through his tears. Junhyung winced, biting onto his lip to prevent himself from crying, too. He bent down, kissing Hyunseung on the forehead and bringing a sobbing Hyunseung into his arms, relishing the feeling of hugging him because he didn’t know if he was going to get another chance to do it.

“I’ll try to come back with Ilhoon, but if I don’t, you have to be strong,” Junhyung said before turning away and walking out of the room. The sounds of Hyunseung crying got softer and softer, until Junhyung could no longer hear the elder. He trudged to the car, slamming the door shut and trying his hardest not to let the tears fall. He picked his phone up, dialling the familiar number and waiting for the person on the other end to pick up.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“I’m ready. Let’s go.”

 

------------------------

 

Waiting in the car by the park, Junhyung ran through what he was supposed to say once more. He was good at lying, but he needed to be as convincing as he possibly could. One wrong move and that could be it. He wasn’t going to get another chance to sneak in like this.

BoA had at least ten men stationed around various parts of the park, just in case Jaewon picked up on anything and sent people after Junhyung. It was a good ten minutes before Junhyung heard a light knock on his car window, and he turned to see his ex-girlfriend looking at him with an apprehensive smile.

He gestured for her to get in, smiling as convincingly as he could. Hara hesitated, but she got in the car eventually, shutting the door and sighing. “Oppa, I know something’s up. Why did you call me to meet you?” she demanded immediately. Junhyung took a deep breath. He couldn’t screw up now.

“I thought I loved Hyunseung, I really did. Maybe the years apart changed us too much, and now I and he aren’t what we used to be. When he found out that he was pregnant again with my child, he… he made himself miscarry on purpose,” Junhyung lied, hoping that he sounded upset enough. “He couldn’t stand the thought of having another child of mine. In his opinion, I came back and just wrecked his entire life. After you came to visit that day, he started questioning me. He was so paranoid and crazy. I don’t think I can deal with that. It was only after Hyunseung became like that did I realise that I really missed the old days with you, Hara. Can you forgive me?”

Hara stared at Junhyung as if he had grown two heads. Was it really possible that Junhyung and Hyunseung actually fell out of love that easily? Seven years passed and the first person Junhyung had looked for was Hyunseung, so was it really possible that just after two months, they broke up? She didn’t know what to believe, but what she did know was that she still loved Junhyung a lot, and this was her chance to patch things up with him.

“I forgave you a long time ago, oppa. It’s just that I felt so hurt when you broke up with me, but I’m willing to give us another try,” she decided. Junhyung looked and sounded honestly distraught, and even if he was a good liar, acting wasn’t exactly his forte. Something must have happened to cause Junhyung such distress, and she was the one that he looked to for comfort. She had to still have a place in his heart.

Junhyung sniffled, honestly feeling the waterworks coming on when he thought of possibly leaving Hyunseung and Ilhoon forever. His heart ached so badly for his fiancé, who was in the hospital probably praying for Junhyung to come back safe and sound with their son. “Thank you so much, Hara. I love you,” Junhyung replied, his voice cracking on the last few words. “Can I go over to your place? I really don’t want to go back to my apartment with Hyunseung.”

Nodding, Hara replied, “Of course you can! Jaewon oppa isn’t going to be home till late, I think. You could stay in my room or one of the guest rooms.”

Junhyung only smiled, asking her if she still stayed in the same place before driving off.

He was getting Ilhoon back.

 

-----------------------

 

The drive to Hara’s place was longer than Junhyung expected, and by the time they arrived it was nearly noon. They decided to order in, and while waiting for the delivery to arrive Junhyung and Hara settled on watching some movies.

Junhyung remembered coming to Hara’s place, remembered where all the rooms were. He just had to convincingly get up and leave the living room without arousing Hara’s suspicion. It’d be great if he could just lie and say that he was going to the bathroom, but his destination was in the opposite direction. Honestly, Junhyung could only come up with one plan, but he didn’t really like it. Nonetheless, it was probably the best solution.

“Oppa, don’t you think this scene is so romantic?” Hara gushed, turning to look at Junhyung.

“Sorry, Hara,” was all Junhyung replied before punching her in the face and running towards the basement. He might not have hit her hard enough to knock her out – she was still a girl after all – but he probably managed to disorient her and maybe, if he was lucky, gave her a nosebleed.

Cursing slightly upon realising that the basement door was locked, Junhyung quickly picked the lock, remembering how to do it from muscle memory and years of experience. He’d sent a signal to BoA’s men, and they were guarding the house, hidden in the cover of the trees, just in case Jaewon came back unexpectedly. Somehow it felt too easy; shouldn’t Jaewon have guarded his house better?

Once ‘;klthe door opened, Junhyung spent no time rushing down the stairs of the dark and cold basement. The only source of light was a lone bulb in the centre of the room, dangling above a very familiar and small figure. “Ilhoon!” Junhyung exclaimed, now skipping steps and running to his son. The boy was, as most kidnapped people, tied to a chair and blindfolded. His mouth was stuffed with a disgusting rag that Junhyung spent no time removing, and he cut the ropes binding the boy to the wooden chair. He undid the blindfold quickly before bringing Ilhoon into his arms. “Did they do anything to you?” Junhyung asked as Ilhoon squinted, trying to get adjusted to seeing again.

“Hungry… and thirsty,” Ilhoon choked out, his throat as dry as sandpaper. Junhyung’s heart clenched at how Ilhoon sounded – exhausted and lifeless. How could anybody treat a seven year old this way?

“Let’s get you out of here,” Junhyung said, hugging Ilhoon tightly and trying not to wince at the fact that his healthy little boy suddenly felt so much skinnier. Ilhoon was already small for his age, and now Junhyung could feel his bones even more than before. Just how much had they starved him?

Junhyung was running back upstairs when he was blocked by a man. The man grinned at Junhyung, introducing himself as Choi Jiwon before saying, “Jaewon’s waiting for you.” Junhyung wanted to curse, but Ilhoon was still there. Instead, he composed himself and nodded.

“Of course.”

The man – Jiwon – led the way back up and out of the house. Junhyung frowned upon realising that Hara was gone. If Jaewon had seen Hara’s condition… then he and Ilhoon were as good as dead. If there was anything that Jaewon hated, it was seeing Hara get hurt, be it physically or emotionally. It was the whole reason why Junhyung had to leave for seven years.

When they exited the house, Junhyung was met by the sight of twenty over men surrounding them, and in the middle stood Jaewon and Hara. The girl was, as expected, holding her bloody nose and wincing slightly. Jaewon looked beyond pissed; he was furious.

“You dared to hit my sister?” Jaewon asked, not even trying to hide his anger.

Junhyung rolled his eyes, spitting on the floor. “You’re one to talk, kidnapping my seven year old son. Who do you think is more despicable? Hara, what do you think?” he asked, knowing fully well that Jaewon wouldn’t have told Hara about kidnapping Ilhoon. It was just like in the past, when Jaewon threatened Junhyung time and again to leave Hyunseung. He didn’t tell Hara anything then, and he clearly didn’t tell her anything now either.

When Hara let out a gasp, Junhyung smirked. “Oppa, you kidnapped Ilhoon?” she demanded. Jaewon shrugged, as if kidnapping wasn’t a serious crime. Her bloody nose was forgotten, and now Hara was full out glaring at Jaewon. “How could you!”

“He hurt you, so doesn’t it make sense for me to hurt him back?” Jaewon questioned.

“No, it isn’t! This is too much, even for you,” Hara said, shaking her head in disappointment. She walked over to Junhyung’s side, snatching her hand out of Jaewon’s grasp. “I thought so much better of you, but clearly I was wrong.”

Junhyung kept quiet throughout their exchange, waiting for BoA to make her move. He knew that she was monitoring the situation somehow, and her snipers were going to shoot Jaewon’s men down before they even knew what hit them. Jaewon had numbers, but BoA’s men were honestly better trained.

Jaewon gave Hara a warning look. “It’s us against you, Hara. Don’t make me regret protecting you for all these years,” he said in a low voice. Hara shook her head sadly, and Jaewon signalled his men to get into position. Before anything even happened, though, one of Jaewon’s men was shot. And then suddenly there was a flurry of shots, and Jaewon was down to half the number of men. The remaining men were startled, and fired wildly in the direction that the bullets came from. Jaewon gave Junhyung a hard look. “BoA’s helping you, I see?”

Junhyung nodded with a small smile, instinctively holding Ilhoon a little tighter to make sure he didn’t see anything. But from Ilhoon’s shallow breathing, he was probably passed out. Junhyung needed to get to the hospital, and fast.

Another wave of bullets rained down on Jaewon’s men, and now Jaewon was the last one standing. The man clapped, looking around and exclaiming, “Great show! Now where’s the ringmaster?”

Just as the words left his mouth, a black van pulled up and BoA stepped out, along with her right-hand man. “You, Shim Jaewon, are pathetic. First you targeted a pregnant person all those years ago, and now you shift your target to a seven year old. What do you have to say?”

Hara didn’t know how she caught it, but she saw Jaewon move his hand ever so quickly to his belt where his gun rested. It was a fluid and well-rehearsed motion that took all of one second, and then Jaewon was loading the gun and shooting it at Junhyung. But because Hara saw it, she moved in front of Junhyung, blocking the path of the bullet with her body. At the same time, BoA had pulled out her gun too and shot Jaewon, but she was a second too late. Jaewon had already pulled the trigger, and the bullet was flying through the air, aiming right at Hara’s chest.

“NO!” Jaewon shrieked in horror. Before he could even do anything else, however, BoA’s bullet had struck him in the head. His death was instantaneous, and the last words he managed to get out were “I love you, Hara”. On the other hand, Hara had fallen to the ground, a growing patch of blood staining the front of her white shirt. Junhyung was too shocked to even move; had Hara just sacrificed her life to protect him and Ilhoon?

“Hara…” he trailed off, unsure of what to say. Was he supposed to thank her?

Shaking her head, Hara forced a smile. “I’m sorry, oppa. Please forgive me.”

Nodding mutely, Junhyung could only watch as her eyes fluttered shut for the last time, the smile not leaving her face. Junhyung looked up at BoA, and the elder could only smile sadly. She didn’t like killing people – that was left to her men. But she had a personal grudge against Jaewon, and not just because of what he did to Junhyung.

“Let’s go,” she said instead, beckoning Junhyung over. He walked over the corpses of Jaewon’s men, who’d been killed for no good reason. He got into the car, with BoA telling him that another one of her men would drive his car back for her. Junhyung was in no state to drive, anyway, so he gladly handed his car keys over to the other man.

The drive back to the hospital was silent. It was over.

Jaewon was dead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I can't help but feel that I could've done this better but... enough angst

Now to the happy-ish ending! As happy as it can get with me as the author XD No I'm kidding it'll be a happy ending don't worry

Obviously the fic is coming to an end and idk if I'll continue writing anytime soon after this because 1. no inspiration and 2. no time

And anyways I wouldn't write another junseung fic

So that's all from me, please be patient with me for the next (last) few chapters! Annyeong~ ^^