Questions

You Make Me A Good Man

 

(Continued)

 

Hyunseung returned to the convenience store with Junhyung in tow, ordering Junhyung to help cover his shift. Not only had Junhyung robbed the store before, he had also injured Hyunseung twice. No matter how much he liked the man, Hyunseung could still tell right from wrong, and Junhyung definitely deserved his ‘punishment’.

The very moment the two stepped into the store, with Hyunseung’s right hand in a cast, Yoseob and Jungsu began to fuss over him. Gikwang and Dongwoon had to be the sensible ones, of course, since they couldn’t possibly leave the counters untended.

Junhyung had been forced to change into the spare uniform they had, the one that Yoseob wore on his first day. Reluctantly, Junhyung listened to Gikwang brief him about what he had to do. Of course, Junhyung’s eyes kept darting towards Hyunseung face that was plastered with a smile. Needless to say, Junhyung kept a curious sensation melting his heart and he shook his thoughts off, focusing on his temporary job.

There is no way that I like Hyunseung. He’s cute, sure, but so is Yoseob.

Sighing, Junhyung began to do as Gikwang instructed him, trying his best not to think about Hyunseung.

On the other hand, Hyunseung was having fun slacking off. He wondered why Yoseob was allowed to slack as well, but he just decided that Jungsu had a thing for letting cute people off the hook. The three chatted, mostly about what had happened, and Hyunseung found himself blushing when he recalled the incident. He had indirectly confessed that he injured himself while searching for Junhyung and Jungsu could only coo at the younger male.

Yoseob, however, was confused about why Hyunseung cared so much for his best friend. Even he didn’t bother about Junhyung when he ran off earlier, so why did Hyunseung bother to search for him? Yoseob looked at Hyunseung, then at Junhyung before looking at Hyunseung again. He scratched his head, still puzzled, but shrugged it off.

After the three of them finished chatting, Jungsu chased Yoseob back to his counter and ushered Hyunseung into his office. He still had some things to say to Hyunseung, and the latter didn’t like the serious look that his manager had on.

Jungsu shut the door to his office and gestured for Hyunseung to sit on the leather swivel chair in front of the table. Jungsu then made his way to his own velvet chair, and leaned back against the chair tiredly. He rubbed the bridge of his nose and furrowed his brows.

“What is it, hyung?” Hyunseung asked worriedly. Jungsu seemed to be really troubled, and Hyunseung wanted to try his best to help his manager.

Jungsu sighed. “Hyunseung, you know perfectly well that Junhyung is the robber, right?” Hyunseung nodded. “I know you like him, but you’re going to have to change him if you’re going to go out with him. He might be using you, Hyunseung. You know it.”

Hyunseung groaned inwardly and nodded slightly.

Jungsu hyung is right. What if Junhyung was just acting? What if his real motive is to rob us again, and with my help this time? Oh god, no.

Hyunseung wanted to bang his head against the wall repeatedly and just run away from all his problems. He looked at Jungsu, suddenly feeling worn out, and tried to force a small smile.

“I’ll do my best, hyung. I know that Junhyung isn’t thinking of robbing us again,” Hyunseung attempted to assure his manager, but he wasn’t sure if he was just deluding himself. Junhyung was obviously a robber, and a good one at that. Hyunseung would never know if Junhyung had ever tricked anyone into doing his dirty work for him.

Jungsu nodded with a relieved sigh. He was about to say more when the door to his office was flung open and Youngwoon dashed into the office, a frenzied look in his eyes. The moment his gaze landed on Jungsu, he visibly relaxed and Hyunseung wanted to cry. Why didn’t anyone care about him that way?

“Jungsu, I’ve been blowing up your phone like nobody’s business! Why didn’t you pick up?” Youngwoon reprimanded. Despite his harsh tone, Hyunseung could see the love that Youngwoon had for Jungsu, all reflected in the muscular man’s eyes. Hyunseung was definitely jealous of Jungsu. He should deserve someone who looks at him like that too.

Junhyung should look at me like that, Hyunseung sulked, pouting subconsciously. Youngwoon glanced at Hyunseung and laughed loudly, snapping Hyunseung out of his trance. Jungsu hit his fiancé on the arm in an attempt to get him to stop laughing, and Youngwoon managed to suppress his laughter.

“We’re going to go home now. I don’t know why you’re so early, Youngwoon, but it’s good. I was getting a little sleepy,” Jungsu yawned, emphasising his weariness. Youngwoon nodded and wrapped a protective arm around Jungsu’s waist, pulling the elder male closer to him.

“Bye, Hyunseung. And don’t pout. It makes you look bad,” Youngwoon remarked, waving to Hyunseung as he left with Jungsu. Hyunseung could barely make out Jungsu chiding Youngwoon, asking if he was implying that Hyunseung looked good normally. Hyunseung chuckled at Jungsu’s jealousy and shook his head, walking out of the office, and out of the staff lounge.

The store was pretty empty and Junhyung was sitting on the chair behind the counter, staring at his phone. Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Hyunseung walked to stand in front of Junhyung and called the latter’s name.

Junhyung, who had been playing a game on his phone, jumped slightly in shock and looked up at Hyunseung. Junhyung smiled, then, and Hyunseung felt like melting into a puddle of goo. It wasn’t Junhyung’s usual mischievous smile that Hyunseung was seeing, but a real, genuine smile.

“Come with me,” Hyunseung said, beckoning Junhyung to follow him as he walked back into the staff lounge. Before he entered, Hyunseung turned back to look at Junhyung who was hesitating. Hyunseung frowned.

Should I… Aish, whatever! It’s now or never!

Hyunseung walked back to Junhyung, using his left hand to pull Junhyung to the staff lounge with him. He had some trouble opening the door with his right hand, since it was in a cast, but Junhyung automatically twisted the door knob for him. Hyunseung felt his cheeks heat up, and he glanced at the intertwined hands, blushing even harder.

Junhyung closed the door and locked it when Hyunseung instructed him to, seating himself next to the elder male. Junhyung glanced at Hyunseung, watching him bite his lower lip nervously. Junhyung wanted to coo at how cute Hyunseung was when he was nervous, but it was seriously out of character so he decided against it.

 

----------------------------------

 

“What do you want from me?” Junhyung asked after a minute or two. Hyunseung looked at Junhyung and sighed.

“I know that you’re the robber, Junhyung. Jungsu hyung knows it too, and he’s worried that you have a motive for always coming over. Is it really a coincidence that Seobie just happened to get the job vacancy here?” Hyunseung questioned. Junhyung widened his eyes and faked a cough.

“About that… Yeah, it isn’t really a coincidence. I told him to apply for the job, knowing that he would get it. I wanted to make up for injuring and robbing you, ok?” Junhyung confessed. It wasn’t the complete truth, because Junhyung had actually asked Yoseob to apply for the job to find out more about Hyunseung.

Hyunseung groaned in frustration and flailed around.

“Why the hell would you do that? Jungsu hyung thinks that you want to rob the store!” Hyunseung exclaimed. Junhyung shrugged, subconsciously holding Hyunseung’s injured hand so that he wouldn’t hit it against something while he flailed around.

“I won’t rob the store again,” Junhyung assured. Hyunseung glared at him.

“So what if you don’t rob the store again? You’ll rob other people,” Hyunseung reminded him. Hyunseung really wanted to change Junhyung, but he couldn’t do it without Junhyung’s cooperation.

Junhyung kept quiet then, knowing that Hyunseung was right. He would go back to his usual life and rob others for a living. He had grown up like that, living in his father’s shadow. Junhyung knew no other way of life.

Hyunseung sensed Junhyung’s dilemma and knew that he had mentioned a sensitive topic. “Junhyung, let me help you,” Hyunseung told him softly. He could tell that there was much more to Junhyung’s past than he would ever know. Junhyung was good at heart, and Hyunseung could easily see that. If Junhyung was really a criminal, he wouldn’t have cared so much when Hyunseung had injured his wrist.

If there’s a chance of him opening up to me, then I’ll give it a shot. I can’t stand not knowing why Junhyung robs for a living. I just don’t understand.

Hyunseung was determined to find out about Junhyung’s past no matter what the cost would be. Junhyung could reject his help over and over again, but Hyunseung would just try again until he succeeds. Instinctively, Hyunseung knew that Junhyung would break somehow.

“I’ll think about it,” Junhyung replied in a whisper. And with that, Hyunseung knew that Junhyung had agreed. He may not have said it aloud but if Junhyung wanted to refuse his help, he wouldn’t have replied in such a small voice. It was almost as if Junhyung had been afraid.

Afraid. Huh. Junhyung, afraid of me? Sure…

Hyunseung cleared his throat to get Junhyung’s attention, effectively making the other male turn to look at him in confusion. Suddenly, Junhyung looked worried and released his hold on Hyunseung’s right hand.

“Was I gripping your wrist too hard?” Junhyung asked, sounding slightly panicked. Hyunseung chuckled and shook his head, standing up and dusting his pants off. He was about to tell Junhyung to get back to work when an unfamiliar ringtone sounded in the staff lounge, and Hyunseung stared at Junhyung. Junhyung quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket and scoffed when he saw the caller ID.

Hara.

Junhyung reluctantly answered the call, deciding to put it on loudspeaker just for the sake of it.

“Hara?”

“Junnie! Are you coming for dinner later?” Hara asked excitedly. Junhyung wanted to bury himself and never resurface ever again. What had he been thinking, putting the call on speaker? Now Hyunseung knows that he lied to him.

“No. I have something on. It was a last minute thing, so I can’t make it. Sorry,” Junhyung apologised half-heartedly. He saw Hyunseung glaring at him from the corner of his eye and he resisted the urge to gulp. Hyunseung looked really scary when he was mad.

“Oh. Ok. I’ll see you next time then, oppa,” Hara replied. The disappointment was evident in her voice and Junhyung could tell that she had been trying not to cry. Nonetheless, Junhyung couldn’t find it in him to feel bad for her.

“Yeah. Bye,” Junhyung said and ended the call, turning to face Hyunseung.

“Wasn’t Hara in her hometown?” Hyunseung demanded. Junhyung shrugged nonchalantly, trying not to seem bothered by Hyunseung’s anger. However, he was very much afraid of what Hyunseung would do to him.

“I lied. I’d rather go to dinner with you guys than with her. She’s too clingy,” Junhyung admitted.

Hyunseung rolled his eyes, feeling exasperated by his crush.

“No matter what, she is your girlfriend,” Hyunseung chided.

“Only in name.”

Hyunseung blinked in confusion. What did Junhyung mean by only in name? Doesn’t that mean that he doesn’t treat Hara as his girlfriend? So I have a chance! I shouldn’t be so happy though. Hara’s probably crying somewhere.

“Why?” Hyunseung questioned.

“She’s nice to me, but I don’t feel anything for her. I just accepted her as my girlfriend, but she knows that I don’t love her. I only see her as a friend, nothing more,” Junhyung explained. Hyunseung felt happy for himself, yet guilty for stealing Junhyung from Hara. Even though he only belonged to her in name, Hyunseung didn’t enjoy taking things that belonged to others.

“Well, that’s not good. Try being nicer to her, at least. Anyway, get back to work already. I have to make reservations for dinner later,” Hyunseung said, chasing Junhyung out of the staff lounge. The younger male just did as told, and Hyunseung took his phone out to call Doojoon. He had some difficulty typing with his left hand, but he eventually managed to dial Doojoon’s number.

After discussing with Doojoon, Hyunseung was put in charge of reserving a table for six at the decided restaurant. Once he was done with that, Hyunseung decided that he was tired and laid down on the couch in Jungsu’s office.

And just like that, Hyunseung drifted off into sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeahhh here's the update~! :D I hope you guys enjoyed it :)

The next chapter would be the dinner and me, being the lazy me, still hasn't started on it yet XD

Anyways, personally I enjoyed writing the JunSeung interactions <3

Well, please wait patiently for the next chappie :) Till then, annyeong! ^^