Selfless

You Make Me A Good Man

(A week later)

 

Hyunseung and Junhyung’s relationship was no less than perfect. They had gone out a couple more times in the past week, mostly just to shop or have a simple meal in between Junhyung’s shifts. As promised, Jungsu had given Junhyung a proper job at the convenience store and the younger male worked there pretty much daily. Hyunseung had begun to call Junhyung ‘Junnie’, something that Junhyung found really cute. Hara had used to call him that as well, but it sounded different when it came from the one he loved.

Junhyung, who once didn’t like to be in pictures but liked to take pictures, suddenly fell in love with taking pictures while being in pictures at the same time. He would constantly have his camera or phone in hand, snapping a few random shots of him and Hyunseung together.

By now, Junhyung had developed at least three pictures of him together with Hyunseung, either outside or at the store, or even in their houses. Those were framed up and Junhyung’s personal favourite was placed on his bedside table. He had also developed some pictures of Hyunseung, both recent ones and those taken from stalking. Those were printed in the size of neoprints, and Junhyung kept them in his wallet safely.

Hyunseung had also been more than happy to develop his favourite pictures of him and Junhyung together, and he had also taken more than a few candid pictures of Junhyung. Those were framed up as well, and Hyunseung found somewhere on his walls to hang the pictures.

For the day, Hyunseung had just one agenda: to get the annoying cast off his hand already. Although it had been slightly less than three weeks since the cast was put on, Hyunseung didn’t think he could handle keeping the cast on anymore. His hand itched and yet he couldn’t do anything about it. He also couldn’t dance or work out at all because of the cast. Heck, he still had trouble eating with his left hand.

It was already about time for Junhyung’s lunch break, so Hyunseung sat on his couch and waited for his boyfriend to pick him up. His gaze landed on the lavender rose, already withering. Although it was saddening to see the first flower that he’d ever received wither away, Hyunseung found comfort in the fact that there would definitely be more to come. Junhyung, apparently, was good with flower symbolisms as well. Junnie really is good in the arts.

A day after visiting Junhyung’s brother and umma, Junhyung had told Hyunseung the meanings of nasturtium and baby’s breath, the two flowers that were in the bouquet given to the two deceased. Nasturtium symbolised victory in battle, and it was Mrs. Yong’s favourite flower. Baby’s breath symbolised innocence, and Junsung had been an innocent three-year-old when he’d been killed.

Hyunseung was snapped out of his thoughts when the doorbell rang, but he didn’t bother getting the door. Junhyung let himself in, having the keys to Hyunseung’s apartment already. Likewise, Hyunseung had the keys to his apartment as well. The younger male found his boyfriend lying down on the couch, yawning and blinking at him.

“Seungie, should we go now? My lunch break isn’t that long, you know,” Junhyung pointed out. Hyunseung nodded, jumping off the couch and grabbing onto Junhyung’s hand almost automatically. They were already so accustomed to holding each other’s hands by now that it would be strange if they didn’t do so.

Junhyung opened the door for Hyunseung, as he always did, before getting into the driver’s seat. The younger male then started the drive towards the clinic.

 

---------------------

 

While waiting for his turn, Hyunseung fiddled around with his phone.

“This cast is really annoying,” Junhyung suddenly said. Hyunseung looked at his boyfriend, narrowing his eyes before scowling at the younger male.

“In case you don’t remember, Junnie, you kind of caused this,” Hyunseung reminded. Junhyung rolled his eyes, secretly feeling bad about the incident. It had been over two weeks since that happened, but thinking back on it, he probably shouldn’t have run off just like that.

Hyunseung glanced at Junhyung, a smile creeping onto his face when he saw Junhyung roll his eyes. There was something about Junhyung that Hyunseung had realised over the past week. Whenever the younger male tried to pretend that he didn’t care about something, he would roll his eyes and keep his gaze on something. If he genuinely didn’t care about something, he would scoff as well as roll his eyes, and walk off to somewhere else.

“Jang Hyunseung, you may go in to see the doctor now,” the receptionist called. Hyunseung and Junhyung stood up, walking into Dr. Im’s office together. The doctor looked up when he heard his door open and smiled at Hyunseung.

“Are you here to get that cast of yours removed?” Dr. Im asked. Hyunseung nodded enthusiastically, wanting the cast off of his hand as soon as possible. It was a hindrance to him and to say that he was annoyed was an understatement. Hyunseung made a note to take a last few pictures of the cast and the signatures on it before he disposed of the abomination.

Dr. Im nodded, heading off to get the cast saw to remove the cast. Hyunseung merely waited patiently, having had removed casts before. He had been afraid of the cast saw at first, but he realised that it wouldn’t hurt him and didn’t really feel anything towards it anymore.

A while later, Dr. Im returned. He removed the cast quickly and efficiently. Junhyung could only stare blankly at the doctor while he did his work, and Hyunseung snapped a few pictures of the cast before requesting Dr. Im to throw it away.

“I hope I won’t be seeing you around here anymore, at least not soon. You can just pay and get going now,” the doctor said with a small smile. Hyunseung thanked the doctor and jumped up, moving his wrist around and grinning satisfactorily when he didn’t feel the slightest of pains.

Again, Junhyung paid for the bills since it was still his fault that Hyunseung had even been injured at all. After that, they got back into Junhyung’s car and the younger male drove them to get lunch at that small eatery with nice chicken.

Once seated, Hyunseung took the liberty to order for both him and Junhyung. The younger male could only sigh and shake his head in disbelief as Hyunseung ordered enough food for four people, but said nothing otherwise. The same waiter, Taemin, was serving them. Surprisingly though, Junhyung didn’t feel a single twinge of jealousy anymore.

Seungie’s mine. Why should I be jealous when he’s officially my boyfriend?

Taemin left to get their food and Hyunseung smiled brightly at Junhyung, still elated that he had finally gotten the cast off. Hyunseung spent some time rotating his wrist in front of Junhyung’s face, causing the younger male to chuckle at how ridiculous Hyunseung looked.

“Seungie, are you that happy?” Junhyung asked. Hyunseung nodded furiously, and Junhyung pinched the elder’s cheek while cooing at him. Hyunseung stopped his movements abruptly, gaping openly at his boyfriend.

“Did you just coo at me?”

Junhyung seemed to have realised what he did and turned a light tinge of pink. “Aww, look at you!” Hyunseung squealed, leaning over the table to place a quick peck on Junhyung’s cheek. If anything, that served to make Junhyung blush a darker shade of pink, still in shock that he had actually cooed.

When their food arrived, Hyunseung began to eat like he was starved. He was, actually. He hadn’t really eaten breakfast and it was already one in the afternoon. Junhyung stared at Hyunseung for a few moments before asking, “You didn’t eat, did you?”

Hyunseung nodded without even looking up, causing Junhyung to let out a sigh. “Seungie, that isn’t healthy and you know it. I’ll deliver breakfast to you every morning if I have to,” Junhyung said seriously. Hyunseung felt a blush spread across his cheeks, but he refused to let Junhyung see it. Junnie’s too sweet! Why does he make me love him more and more everyday?

Keeping his thoughts to himself, Hyunseung continued to eat as if he hadn’t been affected by Junhyung’s words. The younger knew better. He saw how Hyunseung paused slightly before continuing to eat. A small smile graced his face as Junhyung, too, started on his lunch.

Little did they know, someone had been watching them from afar.

 

-------------------

 

Walking into the store hand-in-hand, Hyunseung and Junhyung noticed that the staff lounge door was left slightly ajar. Hyunseung and Junhyung exchanged a look, both of their curiosity piqued. They went over to the staff lounge, anticipating yet dreading what they would see or hear. However, there weren’t sounds of anyone having . In fact, it was silent. Frowning, Hyunseung walked into the staff lounge with Junhyung behind him.

“Hara?” Hyunseung asked in surprise, blinking rapidly to ensure that he was seeing properly. When he was sure that Hara was in fact sitting in the staff lounge, he smiled awkwardly at her. “It’s been some time since I’ve seen you. How’ve you been?”

Hyunseung only realised how stupid he sounded after he spoke. How could she be alright? I kind of stole Junnie from her! What kind of question was that? Jang Hyunseung, you babo! Hyunseung spent a few short moments berating himself, not noticing Hara’s poorly masked hurt.

“I… I’ve been better,” Hara finally replied, not wanting to lie. She wasn’t fine, that was for sure. She was still hurting, but she wanted Junhyung to be happy. If he was happier with Hyunseung, then she would let him go. She’d always known that Junhyung wasn’t happy with her. But no matter how selfless she wanted to be, it still hurt to see Hyunseung and Junhyung hold hands.

Hyunseung bit on his lower lip. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine. Junnie… ah, no, Junhyung oppa, can I have Hyunseung oppa for a moment? I want to speak to him,” Hara requested. Junhyung’s gaze moved over to land on Hyunseung and he nodded, albeit a little hesitantly. The Hara he knew wouldn’t hurt Hyunseung, but sometimes love made people mad.

Hara forced a small smile at Junhyung and walked out, expecting Hyunseung to follow her. The elder male looked at Junhyung nervously, getting a reassuring smile and kiss on the forehead. “It’ll be fine. I expect you to be back in no more than an hour,” Junhyung instructed. Hyunseung rolled his eyes playfully, nodding in response.

“I’ll be back!”

With that, Hyunseung went after Hara. Junhyung sighed, already missing the warm touch of Hyunseung’s hand that he’d gotten so used to. I hope Hara won’t do anything to him.

Outside, Hyunseung walked beside Hara, wondering why the hell she was walking so quickly. They made their way over to the park and sat down at an empty bench. Hyunseung was about to ask Hara what she wanted to talk about when he heard her sniffle.

“Are you ok?” Hyunseung asked, for lack of a better way to comfort her. Hara nodded and kept the tears at bay, looking Hyunseung in the eye. The elder male shifted around uncomfortably, not knowing how exactly he should act in front of his boyfriend’s ex.

“I’m not going to ask you to give Junhyung oppa back to me. He was never happy with me,” Hara said with a bitter laugh. “I just want to fill you in on some of his favourite things, so that you’ll be able to make him happier than he already is.”

Hyunseung couldn’t believe the woman. How selfless can anyone be? She clearly loves Junnie, but she’s willing to give him up without a fight? Just… wow. I really, really respect her right now.

“He likes to eat pizza and pork belly. His favourite drink is coke, and he enjoys composing music. I think you should know by now that he likes photography and making coffee, just as a pastime. He hates yogurt and olives and pineapple. He dances in his spare time, adores his car, and all his pictures of his umma and brother are really precious to him. He adores Pikachu. He’s not that good in expressing his feelings, at least not in the past, and I’ve never seen him this happy before. Hyunseung oppa, I hope you’ll continue making Junhyung oppa happy, alright?”

Hyunseung took mental notes as Hara spoke, not missing how her voice cracked halfway. He felt horribly guilty, yet he couldn’t do anything about it. He simply nodded and watched as Hara stood up, getting ready to leave. Just as she turned around to walk away, Hyunseung grabbed her wrist.

Turning around, Hara wiped at her teary eyes and looked at Hyunseung in confusion.

“Thank you, Hara. I really appreciate it,” Hyunseung said sincerely, smiling gratefully at Hara.

“Promise me you’ll make Junhyung oppa happy.”

Hyunseung nodded immediately, not hesitating in the least.

“You have my word.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Poor Hara >< I feel so bad for her in here :/

Ok, so who was that random person mentioned above? I won't tell~ XD Feel free to guess though, but I think nobody will be able to read my complicated mind XP But that person's gonna make more regular appearances soon enough, I guess *shrugs*

All of the stuff about Junhyung was made up, just to clarify (except coke being his favourite drink and him loving Pikachu :D)

Hmmm... that's about it from me for now. The next update may be a little late, like a day, because I'm going for camp from Thursday to Sunday. I'll probably update on Monday, if possible :)

Ok, I'll see you guys on the next update then! Annyeong! ^^