Graduation

You Make Me A Good Man

 

(Two days later)

 

Hyunseung and Doojoon were rushing around their shared apartment, trying to get ready for their graduation ceremony which was in forty-five minutes. Technically speaking, they were already graduates since they took their final year exams, but today was the day that they were officially getting their degrees and really graduating from university.

Hyunseung searched around his room and groaned, unable to find his orientation t-shirt. It was the shirt that they were supposed to wear to the ceremony. They would then be given a gown to wear over their orientation t-shirt and a mortarboard.

“Doojoon, do you know where my orientation tee is?” Hyunseung asked, already panicking. They couldn’t be late or they wouldn’t be considered as graduates. Then they would have to retake their senior year at university and Hyunseung couldn’t handle that stress again.

“Search your bottom drawer!” Doojoon shouted from his room, putting his own orientation t-shirt on. He went to Hyunseung’s room and saw his best friend chewing on his lower lip while tossing random clothes out of his drawer. Any shirt that wasn’t the orientation t-shirt was thrown onto the floor.

“That bottom drawer,” Doojoon said, pointing at the drawer beside Hyunseung. Hyunseung groaned once more and pulled that drawer open, spotting his orientation t-shirt immediately. He jumped up and hugged Doojoon before asking his best friend for help to change. After all, his wrist was still in a cast.

Doojoon hurriedly helped Hyunseung to change before grabbing both their bags and throwing them onto the couch. Hyunseung followed behind his best friend, snatching up a pair of clean socks that Doojoon had yet to fold and keep from the couch.

The two of them put their shoes on as quickly as possible before taking their bags and rushing out of their apartment. They still had another 35 minutes before the ceremony began and they had to be there at least fifteen minutes earlier, leaving them with only twenty minutes to travel.

Thankfully for them, a familiar car was outside the apartment block and Hyunseung heaved a huge sigh of relief, pulling Doojoon to the said car with him.

Yoseob was sitting in the back and Doojoon slid into the empty space beside his boyfriend. Hyunseung, on the other hand, rode shotgun. He was just so used to riding shotgun while he took Junhyung’s car and he didn’t want to play gooseberry anyway.

Junhyung immediately started driving once Hyunseung shut the passenger door, and Doojoon was left to wonder why Junhyung and Yoseob were there to fetch them, and how Junhyung seemed to know exactly where to go.

As if reading his mind, Yoseob answered the first question. “I said that you guys might be late so Junhyung hyung suggested that we pick you up,” he explained. Doojoon nodded in understanding and raised a brow. His second question was already on the tip of his tongue, but Hyunseung spoke before him.

“Junhyung went to our university with me before, so he knows where it is,” Hyunseung told his best friend. Doojoon threw his hands up in frustration and everyone looked at him curiously.

“Are my thoughts that obvious?” he questioned no one in particular.

Yoseob and Hyunseung nodded. “Yes, they are.”

Doojoon was left to sulk for the remainder of the drive to the university.

 

---------------------

 

The two arrived two minutes before the supposed arrival time and they ran to the meeting area after thanking Junhyung. He just shrugged it off and looked at Yoseob. They went to the field and found seats at the front row for the audience, already reserving two of those seats for Gikwang and Dongwoon.

Backstage, all the three hundred graduates were given their gowns and mortarboards. They all put the gowns and mortarboards on before lining up in ascending alphabetical order. The principal would be handing their degrees to them personally, one by one.

After they were lined up in order, the teacher-in-charge congratulated all of the students, looking as if she was about to cry. She managed to excuse herself before the waterworks opened and she really did become too emotional in front of the students.

With Hyunseung was Dongwoo, and the dancers looked at each other while grinning.

“We’re finally graduating!” Dongwoo exclaimed excitedly. Hyunseung nodded with the same amount of excitement and enthusiasm as Dongwoo. The ultimate goal for all university students was to graduate with their degrees and work in their dream career.

Before Hyunseung could reply though, the teacher-in-charge announced that the ceremony was about to begin and requested all the guests to take their seats quickly. Hyunseung took a deep breath and got ready to do this. I’m graduating and I won’t screw my own graduation up!

The teacher-in-charge began to read out the names of the graduates and what arts degree they had. The university had separate graduation ceremonies for each school: School of Business, Engineering, Arts, Hospitality, Design, Science, and Technology. Each school would only accept a small cohort of up to 350 students annually.

When she finally got to ‘Jang’, Dongwoo stiffened and almost froze on the spot if not for Hyunseung hitting him and hissing at him to go and receive his degree. Right after Dongwoo was Hyunseung and the male plastered a smile onto his face as his name was called.

Hyunseung walked to the principal, bowed, and shook his hand. He gladly took the degree that was handed to him and turned to the audience before bowing once more. He spotted Junhyung, Yoseob, Gikwang and Dongwoon clapping for him while standing and he felt his smile widen as he walked off the stage and sat in his seat next to Dongwoo.

After everybody received their degrees, the valedictorian, Kim Hyunjoong, went up on stage. He began to give a speech about the university and what it’s done for him, as well as his achievements in his four years there. He also talked about good results and studying hard and Hyunseung was forced to stay awake despite how lengthy the speech was.

The speech finally ended off with Hyunjoong thanking the university for everything that he learnt while studying there. He then shouted for all the graduates to do three cheers for the university and themselves.

“Hip-hip?”

“Hooray!”

“Hip-hip?”

“Hooray!”

“Hip-hip?!”

“HOORAY!”

All the graduates stood up and threw their mortarboards in the air, screaming and jumping and shouting happily. Four long years of sweat and tears just to get a little closer to achieving their dreams, and they finally did it.

The first person to run to Hyunseung and hug him was Junhyung, even if Doojoon had been closer to Hyunseung. Hyunseung reasoned that he was probably busy kissing Yoseob or something similar to care about his loyal best friend.

Hyunseung thanked the younger male and hugged Gikwang and Dongwoon as well, already beginning to tear up. Mr. and Mrs. Jang, as well as Hyunseung’s sister Geurim, also made their way over to Hyunseung to congratulate him.

“Oppa!” Geurim exclaimed as she ran over to Hyunseung and threw her arms around her elder brother. She hadn’t seen him in a few months and she had always been extremely close to her brother. From the side, Junhyung looked at the unknown girl hug Hyunseung, feeling sour about it.

When Geurim finally broke the hug, Junhyung narrowed his eyes at the girl. She was oblivious to it though, because she was too busy congratulating her brother while Hyunseung was being squished by his parents.

The people who did notice Junhyung’s expression, though, were Gikwang and Dongwoon. Dongwoon smirked at his boyfriend almost victoriously and Gikwang could only roll his eyes. “Nobody confessed anything,” he reminded Dongwoon, already fearing for his 20,000 won.

Dongwoon shrugged, still looking smug. “Whatever, sore loser.”

The couple watched as Junhyung clenched his fists and finally snapped, forcefully pulling Hyunseung away from the people who he didn’t know were Hyunseung’s family. Hyunseung winced as Junhyung held onto his wrist a little too tightly, apologising to his family before following Junhyung.

 

----------------------

 

“Who was that girl?” Junhyung demanded, not even bothering to be nice anymore. He was jealous and he acknowledged that fact perfectly well, but that didn’t mean that he should ignore the jealousy. That girl could be an ex-girlfriend or something! She barely looks twenty!

Hyunseung had to suppress a sigh. I don’t believe Junhyung’s jealous of Geurim. Still, it felt good to know that Junhyung was actually jealous of his sister. The thought actually made Hyunseung laugh out loud at the younger male.

“Is it so funny? She’s your ex-girlfriend isn’t she?” Junhyung accused. Hyunseung laughed even harder at that and it took him some time to finally calm himself down. He wiped a tear that had escaped due to laughing and looked at Junhyung, looking completely amused.

“Geurim is my sister, stupid,” Hyunseung chuckled. Junhyung’s eyes widened and he blushed in embarrassment, unable to believe that he had been so jealous over Hyunseung’s sister. He tried to laugh it off but ended up being too obvious.

“You’re jealous, aren’t you?” Hyunseung teased. Junhyung rolled his eyes.

“As if. Let’s go find Yoseob and Doojoon,” Junhyung huffed and stalked off without Hyunseung. Hyunseung chuckled once more and ran after Junhyung, keeping his pace beside the embarrassed younger male.

They spotted their friends rather quickly, and Hyunseung ran over to his family to thank them again for coming to his graduating ceremony. Whilst Hyunseung’s parents only asked about whom Junhyung was, Geurim was sharper. She had seen the look in Junhyung’s eyes when he glared at her as he pulled Hyunseung away.

So, when Hyunseung thanked his family and his parents left for their car after hugging their son again, Geurim wriggled her eyes suggestively at her brother. Hyunseung was slightly confused as to why his sister was looking at him like that, but he didn’t ask any questions.

“So, oppa… That guy earlier on, was he your boyfriend?” Geurim asked. Hyunseung opened his mouth to retort but Geurim frowned at him. Hyunseung could only sigh and wonder why his sister was so smart sometimes.

“I like him, but we’re not together,” Hyunseung replied honestly.

“He seems nice. Maybe you guys should get together,” Geurim commented. “I’ll get going. See you next time, oppa! Remember to bring him home for a visit!” Geurim instructed with a wink, waving to her brother as she headed to the car.

Hyunseung shook his head disapprovingly and went to find the rest of his friends. He talked for a short while with his classmates and they reminisced about their years in Konkuk University. Junhyung just stood at the side awkwardly, waiting for Hyunseung to finish catching up. Gikwang and Dongwoon were somewhere unknown while Yoseob was with Doojoon, who also happened to be catching up with his friends.

Doojoon had graduated with a degree in performing arts, which referred to every type of performing arts such as singing, instrumental performances, dancing and more. He hadn’t known what degree to get and decided to just join Hyunseung. He wasn’t interested in business anyway.

Let’s get back to Junhyung.

He heaved a sigh of relief when Hyunseung finally finished talking to his friends and bid goodbye to them. It was already more than two hours since the graduation ceremony ended at 2pm, so it was past 4pm by now.

Gikwang and Dongwoon had told the others that they would meet them at the restaurant right away, so Junhyung and Hyunseung found Doojoon and Yoseob before heading back to Hyunseung and Doojoon’s apartment.

Junhyung dropped the two best friends off and told them that he would be back two hours later to pick them up. They nodded and waved as Junhyung sent Yoseob home. Only then did Junhyung go home to change into something else for the celebration.

Junhyung walked past the living room and stopped in his tracks, sighing as he picked up an old photo frame. Inside it was a photo of him with his brother and mother. His brother had just been born then, and young Junhyung was merely three years old. He thumbed the beautiful smile that his umma was wearing and bit his lower lip.

“Umma, should I tell him about you? Should I let go of the past and embrace the future?”

Junhyung sighed once more and set the photo frame down carefully.

“I miss you guys so damn much.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...I don't even know how it ended like this, but it just did ._.

Well, next is clearly the celebration and it'll be amazing, I promise :D

On another note, IT'S LUHAN'S BIRTHDAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BAMBI! <3 AND HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ZHOUMI! <3

Well there isn't much from me, but I'll try my best to update on time :)

I hope you guys enjoyed this and lol at Junhyung getting jealous all over again XD Annyeong~! ^^