Emotions, Genders and Names

You Make Me A Good Man

(A week later)

 

Hyunseung pouted as he hung up the phone. The younger male had been eagerly telling him about how it felt like when the twins moved around. Apparently, when Yoseob said that his stomach had been feeling weird the week before, it was actually the twins moving around. The dizzy spell was because Yoseob wasn’t getting enough iron.

If he had to be honest, Hyunseung was jealous. He was really, really jealous. Junhyung had explained that because Yoseob was carrying twins, they had less space in the womb. That was why Yoseob could feel their movements at seventeen weeks. But for singleton pregnancies, it usually took longer for the mother to be able to feel the baby moving.

“Miracle-ah, can you move for umma please?” Hyunseung whined. He wasn’t the type to be jealous of his friends, but he’d wanted to feel Miracle move for a long time now. Doojoon, too, was a little upset. He wanted to feel his babies move too, but he figured that he’d just wait. Movements could only be felt from the outside later on in the pregnancy, after all.

Hyunseung sighed when he didn’t feel anything, figuring that he’d just have to wait. He reluctantly got out of bed, having woken up tired and just lazy. He was excited for the ultrasound though, just maybe too excited because he hadn’t been able to sleep much. Junhyung had gotten out of bed way earlier than him, and had already showered. He’d actually just started preparing breakfast, which was why Hyunseung figured that he should take his shower quickly.

It was still pretty early in the morning, but Hyunseung and Yoseob’s ultrasound appointments were at one in the afternoon. They’d go for the ultrasound and have lunch after that, and then head over to visit Jungsu who was, at the moment, resting at home.

“Junnie, I’m going to shower!” Hyunseung informed, grabbing a fresh change of clothes and heading into the bathroom. It being pregnant in the summer, and now Hyunseung finally understood why. It was a good thing it would be autumn by the time he was in his third trimester.

“Be careful!” Junhyung said as he continued to make breakfast, which consisted of banana pancakes because Hyunseung was craving them. When he heard the bathroom door close and the shower turn on, Junhyung hurriedly took his phone out and dialled someone’s number. It took some time for the person on the other end to pick up, mostly because she probably didn’t know the number.

“…Yeoboseyo? Who’s this?”

“It’s Junhyung. Can you do me a favour? Keep a secret for me?”

“Oh hi! How’s my oppa doing?” Geurim asked.

“He’s fine,” Junhyung replied, a small smile making its way onto his face just thinking about the ultrasound they were going to have. Then, when he remembered why he called Geurim in the first place, the smile vanished. “But he won’t be soon enough,” he added, almost in a whisper.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m leaving. I’m leaving Hyunseung and my kid.”

“What?!” Geurim shrieked. “, was I too loud? But what the hell do you mean?”

Junhyung quickly summarised the situation with Jaewon and Geurim listened quietly. When he was done, he told her that he needed her help. “I don’t know how long I’ll be gone, so can you visit him and Miracle often? And keep this from your parents, please?”

Without a second’s hesitation, Geurim replied, “I understand. I’ll help. Just come back to him.” Geurim was pretty mature for her age, and she understood Junhyung’s reasons. She could see that the ex-criminal really, really loved her oppa and that he would never do anything to hurt him on purpose. The situation had to be pretty bad if he was going to such extreme measures.

“Thanks, Geurim-ah. I will definitely come back to him,” Junhyung assured. Unless he finds someone better, he added mentally. It was around then that Hyunseung turned the shower off, and Junhyung told Geurim that he had to go. She told Junhyung to be strong, and that she’d help him to the best of her ability. Really, that was all Junhyung needed to hear.

Sighing, Junhyung finished making the banana pancakes and set them on the dining table, just in time, too. Hyunseung took a whiff of the pancakes and grinned, hopping into a chair and placing a few on his plate.

“Thanks Junnie! Your food is the best!” Hyunseung exclaimed, giving the younger a thumbs up.

Junhyung forced a smile, sitting down across Hyunseung.

Eat it while you can then, Junhyung thought sadly. I only have two more days left with you.

 

--------------------------

 

It was another hour and a half before the couple began getting ready for their doctor’s appointment, grabbing their wallets, phones, a file, and whatever they were bringing to Jungsu’s. It didn’t take them long to prepare; they didn’t have to get ready a half hour before leaving. No, that time was for Doojoon and Yoseob, because only heaven knows what those two were doing just a level below.

“You think they’re having ?” Hyunseung asked, shuddering at the memory of walking into that. It hadn’t happened just once, actually. He’d walked in on them at least three times now. The first time they were on the couch. Once, they were in the toilet. Another time, he’d wanted to tell them something and they just so happened to be in their room. Hyunseung was an unlucky man.

“Probably,” Junhyung replied with a roll of his eyes. Hyunseung was too, but Yoseob was on a whole different level. He didn’t understand how Doojoon was still alive after having so many times a day. He really didn’t get it. He sighed when he realised that, after he left, Hyunseung would probably have to find someone else to give him release. He was full of pregnancy hormones right now and that wouldn’t change, even if Junhyung left. That or Hyunseung would be so devastated that he wouldn’t be in the mood for anything. Well that too, Junhyung thought, releasing another small sigh.

“Let’s just change and head downstairs, shall we?” Hyunseung asked, already picking out an outfit. He decided to just go with a loose t-shirt and a pair of maternity jeans from Gikwang and Dongwoon. Junhyung picked out a similar shirt, knowing that Hyunseung just loved to have matching outfits. If he only had two days left, then Junhyung was going to make Hyunseung as happy as possible. It was the least he could do before disappearing without a word.

It took all of five minutes before the couple was out of the house and walking downstairs. Hyunseung, as usual, made sure to ring the doorbell instead of using the set of keys he owned. He was never walking into the couple having ever again. He simply refused to do it.

Doojoon answered the door within the minute, which was pretty rare, but Hyunseung and Junhyung were just glad that they didn’t have to wait long. They plopped down on the couch, telling Doojoon and Yoseob to get ready quickly so that they wouldn’t be late. “Twenty minutes, guys!” Hyunseung told them. He wasn’t annoyed or anything. He just wanted to know Miracle’s gender already!

“But hyung, it’s so ticklish!” Yoseob said as he walked out of his room, giggling slightly. Hyunseung pouted, chucking a pillow at Yoseob’s face because at least you can feel your babies moving. Yoseob chucked the pillow right back at Hyunseung, sticking his tongue out. “You’re just jealous, hyung.”

“I never denied that!” Hyunseung retorted, huffing and poking his belly. “When can I feel you move, Miracle?” he questioned sadly. Junhyung looked at his boyfriend and resisted the urge to sniffle. If even Hyunseung wasn’t feeling Miracle move yet, then Junhyung would never get the chance. He’d be the only one who wouldn’t get to feel his baby move. At least all Hyunseung had to do was wait, while Junhyung would never get the chance no matter how long he waited.

“Junnie are you crying?” Hyunseung gasped in shock. He’d only ever seen Junhyung cry once, which was when he had a nightmare, before they got together. To see Junhyung cry suddenly was shocking, and that was an understatement.

Junhyung blinked, unable to comprehend what Hyunseung was saying. “I am?”

Nodding, Hyunseung leaned over and wiped a stray tear away. “Is everything alright? Does this have to do with the secret you’ve been keeping from me?” Hyunseung asked. Junhyung could hear, in his voice, that the elder was still hurt. Of course he would be, when Junhyung was hell-bent on keeping his plan a secret.

“I guess you could say that…” Junhyung replied unsurely.

Hyunseung sighed heavily and nodded. “Ok. Will you tell me everything, eventually?”

“In three days, I promise,” Junhyung said, his voice trembling. He excused himself, went to the toilet, and locked the door. Choking back a sob, Junhyung sat on the toilet seat and let himself cry. It was as if all the stress from the past and now had finally gotten too much, and Junhyung just broke down.

I can do this, Junhyung told himself. I have to do this.

 

-------------------------

 

Junhyung stayed in the toilet for at least fifteen minutes before he felt that he was composed enough, and wouldn’t break down again. He hadn’t had a good cry in years. The only times he really cried, in the past years, were during his nightmares. He hadn’t cried much consciously, not since his umma and brother died.

By the time Junhyung walked out of the toilet, Doojoon and Yoseob were ready to go. Hyunseung immediately gave his boyfriend a comforting hug, and Junhyung just wanted to break down all over again. Hyunseung was feeling hurt, too. Junhyung wasn’t the only upset one. But why was it that Hyunseung was able to control his emotions so much better?

“You alright?” Hyunseung asked.

“You were in there for quite some time, hyung,” Yoseob added, slightly worried.

Junhyung nodded, wrapping an arm around Hyunseung. “I just needed to sort my thoughts out, that’s all,” he explained. Hyunseung wasn’t so convinced, but he was going to give Junhyung a chance to explain things to him. After all, he did promise to come clean in three days. Hyunseung could deal with that, despite the fact that he didn’t like it. He didn’t like Junhyung keeping things from him, but it was fine if Junhyung was going to tell him in another three days.

“Let’s go then,” Doojoon said, already waiting outside the apartment. The four headed downstairs, got into the car, and began the drive to the doctor’s clinic. As usual, it wasn’t a long drive, so they managed to get to the clinic on time. There were a few people in the clinic, as usual, but they didn’t have to wait since they’d already made an appointment beforehand.

The nurse called for Yoseob and Hyunseung about five minutes after they arrived, and the four entered Dr. Im’s office. He went through the routine checks, made sure that both pregnant males were healthy and that everything was fine with the babies, before leading them to the ultrasound room. “So who’s first?”

Doojoon, Yoseob, Hyunseung and Junhyung looked at each other. “Seob?” Junhyung suggested.

“Ok…” Yoseob mumbled, walking over to lie down on the bed. Doojoon automatically went to stand beside Yoseob, gripping his boyfriend’s hand firmly as Dr. Im spread the cool gel over Yoseob’s stomach. “You won’t show favouritism, right?” Yoseob asked, right before Dr. Im placed the doppler on his stomach.

Hyunseung rolled his eyes. “Yes, of course he won't or I’ll kick his for you. Now keep quiet!”

Doojoon nodded, agreeing with Hyunseung. “Definitely, Seobie.”

Yoseob smiled, signalling for Dr. Im to continue. The doctor moved the doppler around, getting a clear view of Baby A, and announced, “Baby A’s a girl.” Yoseob’s grip on Doojoon’s hand tightened as the pregnant male bit on his lower lip nervously. Doojoon wanted so badly to have a son, and Yoseob wanted to give him a son. He was really hoping that Baby B would be a boy. Please, for Doojoonie.

Moving the doppler to the other side of Yoseob’s belly, Dr. Im said, “And… Baby B is a girl as well. Congratulations, you two!”

Doojoon’s shoulders slumped, enough such that Hyunseung and Junhyung could see. Yoseob teared up instantly when he saw how disappointed Doojoon was. To be honest, Yoseob was disappointed too. He knew Doojoon wanted a son, and he couldn’t even give him that. “Sorry, Doojoonie,” Yoseob mumbled, trying his hardest not to cry because he felt so useless.

“Seobie, you don’t have to cry. I know I told you I wanted sons but hey, I can teach our daughters to play soccer too,” Doojoon pointed out. It was true that he wanted to have at least one son but if he was getting two daughters, then screw it; he was going to keep his daughters. They could always have a son next time. “We’ll be outside,” Doojoon told Hyunseung and Junhyung. Thanking Dr. Im, he and Yoseob went out so that he could calm his boyfriend down.

“Well then,” Dr. Im started, “you’re up, Hyunseung.”

Hyunseung clambered onto the bed, Junhyung crouching down beside him and watching the screen intently. Within seconds, there was a grey figure on the screen, and the sounds of a heart beating filled the room. “You can see his head there, and his hands and feet there,” Dr. Im said, pointing at the respective body parts.

Junhyung’s head snapped up. “His?”

“Yes, you’re having a boy. Congratulations!”

“Oh my god,” Junhyung breathed out, smiling at his boyfriend. Hyunseung nodded, tears already streaming down his cheeks as he grinned madly. Junhyung kissed Hyunseung on the forehead, thanking Dr. Im profusely.

“It’s no problem at all. Your next appointment’s in a month,” he informed them, printing out both Yoseob’s and Hyunseung’s ultrasound scans. “Here you go.”

Thanking Dr. Im one more time, the couple exited the room.

“We’re having a son,” Hyunseung said, as if it wasn’t obvious enough.

Junhyung nodded, forcing a smile for the nth time that day. And I’m leaving him behind.

Reality was harsh. Perhaps too harsh.

 

-----------------------

 

Doojoon managed to convince Yoseob that he was fine with having two daughters, although it took at least a half hour to do so. Yoseob still felt bad though, so the four of them were headed out to eat Yoseob’s favourite foods. Ever since entering their second trimester, Hyunseung and Yoseob’s aversion to chicken had all but disappeared, for which the two were eternally grateful.

That was why they were currently at the small eatery near the store once more, the one which had good chicken. It was slightly questionable why the eatery didn’t have a legit name, but Taemin had told them to just refer to it as Jinki’s. So, the four of them were at Jinki’s and had ordered four servings of chicken, two of which were situated in front of Yoseob, and another in front of Hyunseung. Doojoon and Junhyung were, at the moment, sharing a serving.

The moment Taemin set the plates down, Yoseob and Hyunseung were eating. Junhyung and Doojoon took their time with their chicken, watching their boyfriends stuff pieces upon pieces of chicken into their mouths.

“This chicken is amazing,” Yoseob moaned blissfully with his mouth full.

“Eat as much as you want then. My treat,” Doojoon announced, glad to see that Yoseob was happy again. Hyunseung raised a brow, looking to Junhyung and silently conversing with him. He didn’t want Doojoon and Yoseob to spend more than they had to, especially with twins on the way.

“I’ll pay for our portions,” Junhyung offered. Doojoon pursed his lips but shrugged, nodding.

Their meal lasted for nearly an hour, with Yoseob wolfing down piece after piece of chicken. Hyunseung stopped after a half hour, but Yoseob continued eating as if there was no tomorrow. Doojoon figured that his boyfriend was really upset about not being able to give him a son.

After Junhyung and Doojoon paid, the four headed over to Jungsu’s place. Youngwoon was home too, with it being a Saturday and all. But he’d called Hyunseung a few days ago, asking them to accompany Jungsu while he went to get stuff ready for Jungsu’s birthday party in two days. Since they had the day off anyway, Hyunseung agreed.

“Junnie, can we just decide on a name now? I mean we have three names left to pick from; can you and I each cancel one out?” Hyunseung asked eagerly. He knew that the original plan was to cancel one name out every night, but after finding out Miracle’s gender he just wanted to give his baby a proper name.

Junhyung nodded, because he’d do anything Hyunseung asked of him now. Hyunseung fist pumped the air and pulled the notepad out of the compartment in front of him, looking through the three boy names they still had. In the back, Yoseob whined about how he wanted to give his babies names, too. Doojoon and he eventually ended up thinking of girl names and recording them in their phones.

“We have Minhyuk, Hyunsik and Ilhoon. Now which do you want to cancel?” Hyunseung asked.

Junhyung thought about this for all of ten seconds. “Minhyuk.”

“Then I’ll cancel… Hyunsik. I prefer the sound of Yong Ilhoon,” Hyunseung said, satisfied.

Junhyung hummed in agreement, keeping his face straight, but his heart was breaking yet again.

Yong Ilhoon, huh? Ilhoon-ah, I’m sorry I have to leave. I really am. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was fine up till the ending because it was rushed (was it obvious?) BUT to stupidhottestchantic, you were right about the name! XD I was planning to use Ilhoon as their kid since like, the start, because my first impression of Ilhoon was that he looked like Junhyung. So yeah, Miracle's name is officially Yong Ilhoon!

Dayum because Junhyung TT I didn't wanna make him cry or anything but if I were in his shoes, I definitely would. I mean come on, he has to leave in two days and Hyunseung doesn't even suspect it. He just knows that Junhyung's hiding something from him, but he doesn't know that it's something as big as leaving. Junhyung is pretty darn stressed and upset ><

Ok, so I managed to get this out on time but the next update will probably (definitely) not be next weekend because work ._. Yeah I have to stop using work as an excuse but eh, it's true. Does anybody else feel me here? Anyone in the service line who just doesn't have the energy to do after work and on off days?

Next chapter is THE chapter. Yes, Junhyung is going to leave. I'm not going to say how, but he just is. SIGH I don't feel like writing that chapter it's so depressing TT It'll be like 80% focused on Junhyung's emotions because he's gonna be like depressed, depressed and more depressed. Yup that's not gonna be fun to write :/

Well, look forward to that and I hope I didn't make too many people cry with this (what with everyone being so emotional about this fic) and I hope you enjoyed it! I'll see you in two weeks or so XP Annyeong~! ^-^

(P.S. Geurim is gonna be another helpful person here. Just felt like pulling her into this because hey, her character's cool.)