Late

You Make Me A Good Man

 

(A day later)

 

The previous day had passed uneventfully, much to Hyunseung’s delight and disappointment. He hadn’t expected Junhyung and Hara to visit yet again, and he was glad they did, but he didn’t manage to get any closer to Junhyung at all. All he’d managed to do was exchange a greeting with the couple before they went to talk to Yoseob, and they left shortly after. Of course, Hyunseung had been more than annoyed at Junhyung who kept smirking at him and distracting him, but he still liked the guy.

Doojoon had complained to Hyunseung the entire way back home, sulking about how he had been left alone in the store with KiWoon and Yoseob. That had been after Hyunseung’s afternoon and night shifts, so Hyunseung completely ignored his best friend and slept after bathing.

Hyunseung woke up to Doojoon’s constant poking and prodding – something that the elder male had never done in the many years that Hyunseung had known him. Hyunseung was amused, albeit slightly disturbed, that his friend was starting to act cute. Yoon Doojoon was trying to act cute, and Hyunseung knew what caused the change in his best friend.

Hyunseung cracked an eyelid open, squinting a little at the sunlight pouring into his bedroom from the open windows.

When did I open the windows? I swear I closed them last night. And how did Doojoon get in? I have to change that doorknob so that Doojoon will stop using that damn master key of his.

Hyunseung stretched, pretending to accidentally kick Doojoon’s thigh as he did so. Doojoon saw through Hyunseung, of course, and flicked the latter’s forehead before stalking out of the room.

Hyunseung rubbed his forehead that was still bruised from his mini war with Junhyung a couple of days ago. Doojoon had been mean enough to flick Hyunseung’s forehead at the exact same spot where the purplish bruise was, and Hyunseung puffed his cheeks up in irritation.

Who does Doojoon think he is, flicking my forehead like nobody’s business? I’ll teach him to flick my forehead again! Hyunseung thought angrily, glancing over to the clock in his room. 7.23am. His eyes widened in shock and Hyunseung immediately ran off to change. He was going to be late for his morning shift soon, and he had somehow managed to block out the sound of his alarm.

Hyunseung managed to get ready in a record time of two minutes, and that included washing up. He rushed into the kitchen to see Doojoon enjoying a piece of toast with jam spread over it, and Hyunseung frowned. Why was Doojoon up when his soccer practice started at ten?

“Hyunseung…” Doojoon sighed exasperatedly, “You have to turn your damn alarm on and actually hear it, not turn it off subconsciously.”

Hyunseung raised a brow. So his alarm had actually rung?

“I heard your alarm while I was washing up, but you didn’t come out so I decided to wake you,” Doojoon added, narrowing his eyes at Hyunseung. “I did not deserve that kick.”

“Sorry. I didn’t think my alarm rang, so I was kind of pissed off when you woke me up for the second day in a row,” Hyunseung apologised sheepishly. He just remembered that he had in fact turned his alarm off, telling himself that he could lie down for a few more minutes.

“Sure. You might want to get going first before you’re late. I’ll take the night shift today so we can have dinner together with Gikwang, Dongwoon and Yoseob,” Doojoon suggested, handing a plastic bag containing two sandwiches to Hyunseung.

“Doojoon, you’re the best!” Hyunseung exclaimed gratefully, already heading towards the shoe rack. “And I’ll go for dinner. I’ll ask the others, too. Seobie isn’t coming till noon so don’t follow me!” Hyunseung teased, knowing that Doojoon might very well drop by the store before practice to catch a glimpse of Yoseob. Hyunseung chuckled as Doojoon blushed, getting out of the house while saying goodbye to Doojoon.

Hyunseung went to work quickly, thankful that he lived near the store. It was convenient for him to work, as well as to go to school when he was still studying in the university. He arrived within fifteen minutes of walking, all the while munching on the sandwiches that Doojoon had prepared. Doojoon may seem to be uncaring towards Hyunseung, but the two are best friends for a reason.

Hyunseung hurriedly entered the store, disposing of the empty plastic bag and going into the staff lounge where he found Yoseob. Hyunseung suppressed the urge to grin, knowing that Doojoon had fallen for his lie.

If Doojoon wasn’t so lovesick, he would remember that Seobie has to work all three shifts. That idiot.

“Good morning Seobie! Did you clean up yet?” Hyunseung asked the younger male. Yoseob nodded and smiled brightly at Hyunseung.

“Good morning hyung! Why are you so late?” Yoseob asked, looking at the time. They had less than fifteen minutes before they would start work, and Hyunseung just sighed, explaining why he was later than usual. Yoseob nodded in understanding, claiming that he’d had similar experiences before.

Hyunseung had just finished fixing his uniform when Jungsu walked into the staff lounge, heaving a sigh of relief when he saw Hyunseung and Yoseob in there.

“I thought nobody came! Ok, I’m changing some things so remember them and inform KiWoon, alright? And Doojoon too, of course,” Jungsu told them. Hyunseung and Yoseob nodded, staring at Jungsu while waiting for him to continue.

“Ok, so you guys are aware of the three shifts, right?” Hyunseung and Yoseob nodded. “I realised how imbalanced the shifts were, so I changed them. Each shift will now be five hours. The morning shift is from 8am to 1pm. The afternoon shift is from 2pm to 7pm. The night shift is from 8pm to 1am. So your lunch will be at 1pm to 2pm, while your dinner break is at 7pm to 8pm.”

“Alright hyung,” Hyunseung replied. “Do you want to join us for dinner later?”

Jungsu pondered for a moment before smiling and shaking his head. “Youngwoon expects me at home by 7pm. He’s cooking today and I really love his cooking, so I’ll pass.”

“Arasso. Seobie, do you want to go for dinner with Doojoon and me? Gikwang and Dongwoon can go too, and maybe even Junhyung and Hara,” Hyunseung asked. He felt an uncomfortable pain in his chest when he imagined Junhyung being lovey-dovey towards Hara, and decided that he was just upset that they were together.

“Junhyung hyung might be able to make it, but Hara has night classes so she won’t go,” Yoseob answered. “We should start work, hyung. Really.”

Jungsu nodded, pushing the two employees out of the staff lounge. “I’ll be handling paperwork in here if you need me!” Jungsu told them.

Hyunseung and Yoseob immediately settled behind their respective counters, flipping the sign at the door to indicate that the store was open.

The first customer walked in minutes later, and the two began doing their work diligently.

 

-----------------------------------

 

“Thank you and please come again!” Yoseob told the last customer before handing her stuff to her. Yoseob heaved a sigh of relief as he walked over to flip the sign over, glad that it was finally time for lunch. He and Hyunseung had been working for five hours, only taking short breaks in between to drink water or go for a toilet break.

Hyunseung sagged in his chair, too tired to even move. He wondered how he even managed to survive the past two weeks working three shifts daily, and decided that maybe his body was protesting against the lack of rest.

Yoseob, however, was like a bundle of energy as he bounded over to stand in front of Hyunseung. Hyunseung barely acknowledged the baby-faced boy, only smiling slightly at him.

“Hyung, do you want to eat something?” Yoseob asked.

“Can I have chicken? Please give me chicken wings,” Hyunseung requested. Yoseob nodded and took his phone out, dialling a number that he knew by heart.

“Hyung! You said that you’re coming over in the afternoon, right? Can you get me some chicken wings, one portion of rice and one portion of ramen, and spinach? I expect to see you in twenty minutes, hyung,” Yoseob warned.

Hyunseung watched as Yoseob talked to his friend, and he saw how Yoseob smiled as he ended the call. Yoseob turned to Hyunseung grinned.

Who was Seobie talking to? Was it Junhyung?

Hyunseung was snapped out of his trance by Yoseob snapping his fingers in front of his face. Hyunseung blinked a couple of times to focus on Yoseob.

“Ne?”

“I said that Junhyung hyung is coming over with our lunch in about twenty minutes,” Yoseob repeated. Hyunseung gulped. How was he going to face Junhyung again?

“Is Hara coming?” Hyunseung asked in a whisper. Yoseob wanted to raise a brow at Hyunseung’s change in tone. Yoseob’s only known Hyunseung for a few days, but he knew that the elder male was one to talk loudly.

Instead of questioning Hyunseung, Yoseob shook his head. Hyunseung could feel a smile creeping its way onto his face. He didn’t hate Hara, but seeing her with Junhyung just plain hurt, and Hyunseung did not like seeing them making any type of physical contact at all.

Hyunseung would have said more, but Gikwang and Dongwoon sure knew how to ruin the mood. They literally burst into the staff lounge and apologised for being late. Hyunseung was about to remind them that they weren’t, and then he remembered that lunch used to be from 12pm to 1pm instead of 1pm to 2pm. Hyunseung decided to play a prank on them.

“Yah! How many times have we told you not to be late? It’s a good thing that Jungsu hyung told us to wait for you guys before opening the store again!” Hyunseung scolded. Yoseob looked at Hyunseung in confusion, and the former just winked at him. Yoseob then grinned, understanding what Hyunseung’s plan was.

“Yeah! I know that I don’t have a place to say anything, but you guys can’t possibly keep coming late! You did this yesterday morning, too!” Yoseob shouted, feigning anger. Gikwang and Dongwoon were taken aback by the baby-faced boy’s outburst. Hyunseung hollering at them was one thing, but Yoseob? They hadn’t expected that at all.

Hyunseung glanced at Yoseob with an approving look. Good job Seobie!

“I-We’re sorry, hyung. We won’t do it again!” Dongwoon apologised, bowing to them apologetically. Hyunseung had to prevent himself from snickering and shook his head at them.

“Apologise to Seobie too! He’s the poor guy who has to put up with your antics, and he’s only been here a few days! Can’t you set a better example for him, as his sunbaes?” Hyunseung questioned them. Gikwang and Dongwoon nodded guiltily.

“We’re sorry, Yoseob hyung.  We didn’t mean to be late yesterday or today. We kind of overestimated the time and ate lunch late, so we arrived late today,” Gikwang told Yoseob. At that, Yoseob coughed. He’d wanted to laugh, but he knew that he couldn’t foil this secret camera.

“Tell Jungsu hyung too. He deserves to know that you guys keep coming late,” Yoseob told them sternly and pointed to Jungsu’s mini-office. Gikwang and Dongwoon nodded, walking to the room slowly. They knocked on the door and entered when Jungsu called them in. Interested, Hyunseung and Yoseob followed along.

“We’re sorry for always being late, hyung, and we promise never to do it again!” Dongwoon apologised and the couple bowed. Jungsu looked at them, amused, and glanced at Hyunseung and Yoseob who winked at him. Jungsu nodded.

“You guys better not do this ever again! If you two are late or slack off ever again, I’m just going to have to cut your pay or sack you!” Jungsu warned. The couple nodded.

“We won’t,” Gikwang promised. At that, Hyunseung and Yoseob burst into laughter.

“You guys are idiots! Secret camera, success!” Hyunseung, Yoseob and Jungsu exclaimed before they hi-fived each other. KiWoon looked at each other in confusion. When they finally understood what was going on, they began whining. The whining went on until Jungsu decided to stop them and tell them to get to work, and even after the couple left, the remaining three laughed.

“Hey, I don’t say no to extra money,” Jungsu said, shrugging.

Hyunseung and Yoseob then excused themselves, running into Youngwoon when they sat back down in the staff lounge. Moments later, Youngwoon left for lunch with Jungsu and even then, Junhyung had yet to deliver their lunch. It was only after a few texts from Yoseob that Junhyung arrived with their food.

“Hey Seobie, I got your…” Junhyung trailed off as he spotted Hyunseung sitting beside Hyunseung, laughing about something that they were talking about.

Junhyung swallowed the lump in his throat as he stared at Hyunseung.

Why is his laughter so melodious? And has he always looked so adorable when he smiles? How come I never noticed any of that before? Damn, this boy is… What am I saying?! I AM NOT GAY.

Junhyung shook his thoughts off as he handed the plastic bag to Yoseob. It was Hyunseung’s turn to stare at Junhyung and admire his collarbone.

That low-cut V-neck looks amazing on him. His collarbone looks amazing, and his hair… His voice sounds amazing too. Oh god, I can’t sink any deeper than this.

Hyunseung sighed inwardly, knowing that it was nearly impossible for him to be with Junhyung.

Meanwhile, Yoseob was plain confused.

Why are these two looking at each other like they want to eat each other? Who cares? I have food!

And with that, Yoseob ignored the two and began to slurp down his noodles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok, so I know that this chapter isn't focusing on JunSeung much and that they're progressing really slowly, but Junhyung's in denial so I can't just make them get together in a matter of days. And the hidden camera was just me being bored XD

The title doesn't have much to do with the chappie, just that Seung's late, KiWoon are late, and Junhyung was late too... Makes sense? O_O

I hope you guys enjoyed this either way and JunSeung's gonna progress, I promise! It may be slow, but they'll get there eventually! :D

Look forward to the next chappie next week! Annyeong! ^^