Coincidence

You Make Me A Good Man

(A week later)

 

‘Oppa, we’re going over to the store today. Sorry I couldn’t stall umma any longer. She already asked Doojoon oppa what shift you were working today and we’ll be heading over during your dinner break. I’ll stand up for you, oppa! Don’t worry about it!

-Geurim’

Hyunseung groaned and flopped back down onto bed. He rolled over to glance at where Junhyung was standing, somehow managing to read one of the pregnancy books while pulling a shirt over his head. Hyunseung seriously wondered how Junhyung was even still reading the pregnancy books since they all said pretty much the same things. The younger was already on the fourth book!

But that isn’t the problem at hand right now! How am I supposed to deal with umma? How? Hyunseung was having a mental breakdown and he knew that it wasn’t good for Miracle. In his opinion, stress was just bad in general. It didn’t matter if he was pregnant or not. Hyunseung simply didn’t like to be stressed over stuff, so he was usually rather carefree and easy-going, but his umma would have his head when she saw him.

“Seungie, what happened?” Junhyung asked, sitting down beside the elder and wrapping an arm around Hyunseung’s waist. He rested his palm over Hyunseung’s abdomen, which was just barely showing at seven weeks. Although the baby bump could hardly be felt, Junhyung and Hyunseung had both been feeling it since a week ago and they knew that Miracle had grown, just a little.

“Umma’s coming for me. She’s going to kill me for getting myself knocked up.”

 Junhyung chuckled and pecked Hyunseung on the forehead. “You know she won’t really kill you. She loves you and she’ll just be disappointed in you. Besides, didn’t I already tell you that I won’t let anything happen to you and Miracle?” Junhyung questioned. Hyunseung pouted and nodded, acknowledging Junhyung’s words.

Junhyung smiled, standing up and heading to the kitchen to prepare lunch. They were supposed to get to work in another hour and a half, so Junhyung was going to cook something healthier and more filling than just plain bibimbab or ramen. Hyunseung took his time to find something to change into, hoping that if he was dressed properly, his umma would be less mad.

When Hyunseung went out to the kitchen, ten minutes later, Junhyung had barely started on lunch. The elder simply sat at the dining table and grabbed Junhyung’s phone, unlocking it with the password he knew by heart – his birthday. He scrolled through the music folder and grinned when he saw a file named ‘Miracle Verse 1’, immediately pressing the play button.

Junhyung turned around when he heard the song being played, turning around to see Hyunseung looking a little confused. He knew what the elder was confused about, of course.  There were many voices in the first verse alone and none of those voices were Junhyung’s.

“I asked Jungsu hyung to ask his friends if they were willing to sing the song, since I knew that he had connections with people who took music degrees. In the end, twelve of them, including Jungsu hyung himself, helped out,” Junhyung explained before turning back to cooking. Hyunseung nodded in understanding and replayed the verse, finding it a really good song already. He briefly wondered if he could put his singing skills to use and looked at Junhyung.

“Junnie, what do you think about collaborating with me?” Hyunseung asked. Junhyung told Hyunseung to wait for a bit while he finished cooking their lunch and the elder nodded as his stomach growled. Somebody’s hungry. Aren’t you, Miracle?

Junhyung set the plates of food down on the table and Hyunseung clapped, thanking Junhyung and almost instantly shoving a spoon of steaming hot rice into his mouth. Junhyung watched as the elder devoured spoonful after spoonful of rice, laughing when Hyunseung got rice all over his mouth.

“Why don’t we get Seob, Doojoon, Gikwang and Dongwoon to do a couple of songs with us? I can rap and compose, and the rest of you can sing,” Junhyung suggested. Ever since the six of them went to a karaoke together after Hyunseung and Doojoon’s graduation, he’d been toying with the idea of doing a few songs with the six of them.

“You’re better composing at sad songs though.”

Junhyung shrugged and glanced at Hyunseung’s stomach.

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt for Miracle to be exposed to different genres, would it?”

 

----------------------

 

It was a half hour before their dinner break that Hyunseung’s family arrived in front of the store. Doojoon sighed and walked out from behind his counter, handing Yoseob some water while nudging Hyunseung slightly. Hyunseung handed a bag to the customer before turning to scowl at Doojoon, about to complain and ask him why he was nudged when Doojoon jerked a finger to the entrance of the store. Hyunseung glanced there and almost instantly paled.

“We can handle it from here,” Yoseob said with a small smile. Junhyung turned to see what, or who, Hyunseung was looking at. He definitely recognised Geurim, after embarrassing himself by being jealous of her. He could also roughly recognise Hyunseung’s parents since his memory was good.

“Seungie, let’s go change,” Junhyung said, tugging on Hyunseung’s arm lightly just as Hyunseung’s family entered the store. Hyunseung nodded and immediately hastened his pace, getting into the staff lounge and locking the door just as he heard his umma calling out for him. She sounded rather angry and pissed off, too.

Jungsu stepped out of his office and raised a brow at Hyunseung, noting how the younger was slightly trembling. He briefly recalled Hyunseung and Junhyung calling him earlier on, telling him that they wouldn’t be able to take the night shift due to family reasons. “Your umma is here already?” Jungsu guessed. Hyunseung whimpered slightly and nodded.

Jungsu patted Hyunseung on the back and pumped his fist encouragingly before walking out of the staff lounge, claiming that Youngwoon was already waiting for him. As soon as Jungsu exited the staff lounge, Junhyung locked the door again because he spotted Mrs. Jang storming to the staff lounge already.

“Jang Hyunseung!”

Hyunseung flinched at his umma’s tone, not being used to her scolding him. He was always the good son with good grades and he hardly ever rebelled against his umma. His appa was rather easy-going and didn’t mind when Hyunseung chose dancing over business, but his umma had different views. That was honestly the last time Hyunseung had defied his umma’s wishes though, and that was a few years ago. The feeling of being shouted at again wasn’t nice.

“Shh, let’s just change quickly alright?” Junhyung suggested, pulling Hyunseung to the toilet with him so that they could change out of their uniform. Hyunseung nodded but didn’t move, so Junhyung ended up changing Hyunseung out of his uniform before changing out of his own uniform. By the time they were done, Mrs. Jang was already angrily banging her fist against the door to the staff lounge, and Hyunseung could hear Geurim and his appa trying to calm her down – clearly, that wasn’t working out very well.

Junhyung wrapped an arm around Hyunseung’s shoulder, squeezing his boyfriend lightly in reassurance. Junhyung would defend Hyunseung, physically and verbally, even mentally if he could. Geurim was clearly on Hyunseung’s side, and Hyunseung knew that his appa wouldn’t want to be too harsh on him. The pregnant male felt just a little better and Junhyung placed a soft kiss on Hyunseung’s crown before opening the door of the staff lounge, already making sure that Hyunseung was as close to him as possible.

“Umma, can we bring this outside?” Hyunseung asked in a small voice. As a child, he’d always been terrified of his umma whenever she shouted because once she was angry, her attitude towards everyone would become terrible. That fear hadn’t changed even twenty years later. Hyunseung was still terrified of his umma whenever she shouted. It could be the hormones working their stuff, too. I’m so sensitive to things nowadays.

“Honey, let’s go somewhere more private,” Mr. Jang said, agreeing with Hyunseung. Mrs. Jang glared at her husband but nodded and stalked out of the store, getting into the car and slamming the door forcefully. Hyunseung looked at his appa gratefully as the man ran a hand down his face. “Junhyung-sshi, right? Nice meeting you. Geurim has a rather good impression of you.”

Junhyung shook Mr. Jang’s hand awkwardly and bowed a little. “It’s nice to meet you too, sir. I don’t think we should keep her waiting though,” Junhyung added, glancing towards where Mrs. Jang was. Hyunseung’s dad nodded with a sigh, leading the way to the car. Junhyung sat between Hyunseung and Geurim in the back, keeping close to Hyunseung and thumbing the baby bump softly. He knew, both theoretically and practically, that the action calmed Hyunseung down.

“Appa, where are we going?” Geurim asked, noting that her oppa was already dozing off and that Junhyung was constantly rubbing Hyunseung’s belly slowly. A smile crept onto her face and she almost didn’t catch what Mr. Jang replied. Junhyung-sshi is really nice to oppa.

“Our restaurant, of course. Why do you think we closed early?”

Junhyung stopped thumbing the baby bump for a moment and glanced down at Hyunseung, who already sleeping with his head on the younger’s shoulder. His family owns a restaurant, huh? Damn, who knows if I’ve robbed them before?

 

--------------------

 

As Hyunseung’s dad pulled up into the parking lot, Junhyung cursed silently. What the hell is with my luck? Of all restaurants in this town, the Jang family owns this restaurant? Well dammit.

When Junhyung realised that Hyunseung’s dad was driving into the next town, which was nearly a half hour away from where the store was, he was already crossing his fingers and praying that the Goddess of Luck would help him just once. But no, she didn’t. The restaurant that the Jang family owned happened to be the one that Junhyung had robbed nine years ago, on his sixteenth birthday. It was also the restaurant that Junhyung had killed Zico in front of that very night.

And I’m doomed, aren’t I? If they ever find out that it was me, I’m screwed for life. They’ll probably never let Seungie be with me. Junhyung swore that he had the most rotten luck in the world, mentally breaking down as Mr. Jang parked the car and turned the engine off.

“Seungie, wake up,” Junhyung said softly, shaking the elder slightly. Hyunseung merely whined in protest and turned around to bury his face in Junhyung’s shoulder, causing Junhyung to chuckle in spite of the fact that Mrs. Jang was still in the front seat. The woman turned around and shot Junhyung a glare which he almost returned, but refrained himself just in time.

“Umma, oppa’s tired. Can’t you let him sleep for a little while more?” Geurim asked.

“No. We need to talk,” Mrs. Jang snapped. Geurim rolled her eyes as she climbed out of the car, waiting for Junhyung to wake Hyunseung up so that they could go to the restaurant together. Junhyung glanced at Hyunseung, not wanting to wake his boyfriend up because he was pregnant and it was normal for him to be tired, especially since they’d been up last night reading.

In the end, Junhyung decided to just carry Hyunseung, walking over to Hyunseung’s side of the car and lifting the elder out of the car. Geurim had a fangirl fest in her head as she watched Junhyung carry Hyunseung to where Mrs. Jang was waiting. Mr. Jang smiled approvingly, and he and Geurim went to the lift as well. Mrs. Jang, on the other hand, made a face at Junhyung. She didn’t fancy Junhyung, not in the least, and the fact that he knocked her son up was another thing to dislike Junhyung for.

Minutes after the five were seated in the empty restaurant, Mrs. Jang had enough of letting Hyunseung sleep and she shouted his name. The pregnant male blinked groggily, yawning and stretching and continuing to snuggle into Junhyung’s chest. “Seungie, this isn’t the time to sleep.”

Hyunseung’s eyes shot open as he remembered where he was, and with who. “Oh ,” he muttered under his breath, seeing how his umma was glaring daggers at him and Junhyung. Geurim was smiling lightly at her oppa while Mr. Jang sighed at his wife’s temper.

“Let’s start with introductions. Who are you?”

Junhyung shared a look with Hyunseung, debating over whether to give the woman his birth name or the name he usually used. “Yong Junhyung. I’m just three months younger than Hyunseung and I work at the store,” Junhyung replied.

“Education level?”

“Kindergarten.”

Both of Hyunseung’s parents raised their brows at that. “Kindergarten?” Mr. Jang parroted.

Hyunseung nodded and scratched the back of his head. “His umma died when he was six, so he never got to study past kindergarten. There wasn’t anyone to pay for his education,” he explained. It wasn’t exactly a lie, although there technically was someone to pay for his education. That someone just happened to be as good as non-existent, that’s all.

“Your father?”

“He was as good as gone after I was born.” This wasn’t exactly a lie, either. Junhyung’s dad hadn’t always been a criminal, but his business venture happened to fail the same year Junhyung was born and everything spiralled downwards from then on.

Mrs. Jang looked almost sympathetic but she regained her composure instantly. “What’d you do after kindergarten, then?” she questioned. Junhyung sighed and looked at Hyunseung again. When the elder nodded slightly, Junhyung turned back to Hyunseung’s mum.

“I was a robber and honestly, I’ve killed before too,” Junhyung started. Before Mrs. Jang could start going hysterical, Junhyung decided that screw this, I might as well tell them everything now so that there aren’t any secrets. “Do you remember when a guy was found dead outside this restaurant nine years ago?”

Hyunseung’s parents nodded slowly and Geurim gasped, but said nothing. That was him? He killed that guy? Geurim was actually quite impressed. She wasn’t impressed that he’d killed someone before, of course, but the man was a wanted criminal at the time.

“I killed him after… robbing your restaurant.”

 

---------------------

 

Ten minutes of screaming and shouting later, Junhyung promised to return the money that he’d stolen. Mrs. Jang’s impression of Junhyung had gotten a thousand times worse though. Hyunseung was rather surprised by the fact that Junhyung had robbed his family’s restaurant before. Mr. Jang had long forgiven the robber since the incident happened over eight years ago.

Hyunseung frowned at his umma, upset that she was making such a big fuss out of something that happened ages ago. Sure, anyone would be upset that her son was dating a criminal but shouldn’t she be able to see that Junhyung really loved Hyunseung? Sometimes I wonder how umma can be so blind about these things.

“Honey, can’t you see that Hyunseung doesn’t want you to shout at his boyfriend? Hyunseung-ah, appa approves of this young man. As long as he’s changed and isn’t a criminal anymore, I approve.”

Geurim gladly seconded that and Mrs. Jang huffed angrily. “Well I don’t! It’s bad enough that Hyunseung’s pregnant before getting married! Now we find out that the baby’s father is a criminal?”

“Oh come on, don’t be so traditional. Many people have children before getting married these days,” Hyunseung’s dad retorted. Hyunseung’s mum shot him a glare and he rolled his eyes. Hyunseung groaned as he felt a headache coming on, already leaning against Junhyung and closing his eyes in an attempt to wait for the headache to fade.

“Just keep quiet, dammit!”

Hyunseung’s family whipped their heads around to look at Junhyung who looked rather annoyed. Hyunseung just groaned again and pulled his knees up to his chest, the throbbing in his head worsening due to his parents’ bickering.

“Seungie’s pregnant and all this shouting isn’t doing any good for him, so just shut the hell up or we’ll leave. I don’t care if you approve of me or not, Mrs. Jang, but I’m staying with Seungie no matter what,” Junhyung asserted. There was a kind of finality in his voice and in spite of the headache, Hyunseung felt proud of his boyfriend for being so brave.

Mr. Jang and Geurim agreed wholeheartedly and stopped talking, while Mrs. Jang seemed to try and keep her anger in check. Even though she was mad at Hyunseung for his premarital pregnancy, she did want a grandchild and she didn’t want her grandchild to be lost because she caused Hyunseung too much stress.

“I still don’t like you, Junhyung, but if my son does then whatever. I won’t interfere in your affairs and I’ll try to see your good points, only because I don’t want Hyunseung miscarrying. You’d better take good care of my son and grandchild, you hear? Honey, let’s go.”

As Hyunseung’s parents left, Geurim grinned at Junhyung. “I like you. You’re nice to oppa. And umma was actually impressed that you dared to shout at her like that, you know? You’d better take care of oppa properly, Junhyung oppa!” Geurim warned before waving to the couple and skipping off. Junhyung briefly wondered how they were going to get back to the store where his car was, supporting most of Hyunseung’s weight as they walked down to the car park.

“Get in,” Mrs. Jang ordered.

This night turned out better than expected.

 

---------------------

 

After being dropped off at the store, Junhyung and Hyunseung went home so that Hyunseung could get some proper rest. They showered quickly and had some small snacks for dinner before climbing into bed together. Hyunseung had grown accustomed to hugging Junhyung while sleeping and he simply refused to sleep without his human bolster.

Junhyung turned the lights off and wrapped his arms around Hyunseung, kissing the elder goodnight. Just as Hyunseung was falling asleep, Junhyung thought about what he’d read in the pregnancy book that morning and whispered, “Miracle’s the size of a blueberry now.”

Hyunseung groaned, but not because of the headache this time.

“Now I want blueberry pie!”

“No.”

“Please?”

“…fine.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Weirdish chapter just because ._. It was longer than usual though :)

Bad news for you guys - I'm going on a six/seven week hiatus from next week on >< My final exams are right around the corner and I gotta study hard for them, so I'm banning myself from using the computer to type :/

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, I'm actually done with a bonus chapter so if this fic gets another two upvotes, I'll put the bonus chapter up! :D

I hope you guys enjoyed this and (hopefully) I'll see you when I post the bonus chapters! Annyeong! ^^