New Employee

You Make Me A Good Man

 

(A few days later)

 

Hyunseung had spent the past few days fretting over Junhyung. Rather, he’d been wondering how he could meet the handsome man again. He knew Junhyung’s name, but there are thousands of people named Junhyung in South Korea, and Hyunseung didn’t even know where to start. If only he’d asked for Junhyung’s surname, his search for the man would be much easier.

Jungsu had gotten his friends who were police, Hyukjae and Donghae, to find some files of people who were named Junhyung. When the two questioned him, Jungsu just said that he was trying to find a friend’s relative. The two then began helping him out and Jungsu just emailed a stack of profiles to Hyunseung daily. Hyunseung would look through the profiles and try to find one that had Junhyung’s picture on it. Up till now, he hadn’t managed to find the Junhyung who injured him.

Hyunseung walked into the convenience store and yawned. They – him, Gikwang and Dongwoon – had been working almost nonstop for the past week ever since two employees decided to quit together. Hyunseung, Gikwang and Dongwoon had to literally work all three shifts and they were dead beat. Since Jungsu was pregnant, Youngwoon banned him from being at the convenience store for more than eight hours, claiming that he would be too worn out. He didn’t care when Jungsu had protested and reminded him that he was only ten weeks along.

Jungsu had also been actively searching for a new employee, spending his time in the convenience store looking through profiles of people who wanted the job. Up till now, he’d spoken to around fifty people and interviewed twenty people in person, but not a single one of them had caught his eye. Jungsu felt that he had a thing for telling whether or not people would be good employees, and he thought that nobody gave him that feeling.

Hyunseung yawned again and walked into the staff lounge, stretching as he did so. He was tired from working and trying to find Junhyung. He didn’t even understand how there could be so many people named Junhyung in the whole of South Korea! And Jungsu couldn’t tell his friends that Junhyung was a robber or he’d be nabbed.

Hyunseung raised a brow to himself as he noticed the absence of Gikwang and Dongwoon. The couple would almost always be earlier than him and, although they always made out, they would actually work hard when there were many customers and Hyunseung was glad for that. They would only slack off when there were no customers.

After changing into his uniform and cleaning the store, Hyunseung saw Gikwang and Dongwoon walking into the store. He eyed them suspiciously and stopped them from going into the staff lounge, beckoning them to him.

“Why are you guys so late? Look at the time! You should have been here a half hour ago!” Hyunseung scolded. Gikwang and Dongwoon nodded.

“We kind of met up with Doojoon hyung and talked about you. Why do you keep daydreaming lately, hyung?” Gikwang asked curiously. Hyunseung just blushed slightly and KiWoon widened their eyes. They knew what that look meant.

“You’re in love aren’t you?” Dongwoon deduced. Hyunseung sighed and nodded. He couldn’t escape the interrogation from these two.

“Who’s the lucky person?” Gikwang asked, winking at Hyunseung.

“You don’t know him. Just go get ready,” Hyunseung told them and forced them into the staff lounge. He sat down at the counter and rested his chin on his arm, staring out the window. Suddenly, a familiar figure approached the store and Hyunseung sat up straight.

“Doojoon, what the hell are you doing here?” Hyunseung questioned incredulously. Although Doojoon reportedly met up with KiWoon, he told Hyunseung that he had soccer practice at 8am, and it was already 7.55am. Doojoon wouldn’t skip soccer practice… would he?

“My practice was postponed so I thought that maybe I’d drop by and help out. You guys have that extra uniform for me, don’t you?” Doojoon asked. Hyunseung nodded and grinned at his best friend.

“Thanks for coming over. Gikwang and Dongwoon are at the back so just get the uniform from them. But before you go, why’d you talk about me with them?” Hyunseung asked, raising a brow. Doojoon shrugged, leaning against the counter.

“I thought that you were acting a little weird and since they spend more time around you than I do, I thought that maybe they would know what’s going on. It seems that they don’t,” Doojoon replied and shrugged again.

Hyunseung sighed internally.

They know now. I wonder when I’ll see him again…

“Yah, Hyunseung,” Doojoon called, catching Hyunseung’s attention.

“Ne?”

“Nothing. I just wanted to make sure if you were alive or not. You guys have been working so much recently, ever since those two employees quit. What were their names again?” Doojoon asked.

“Woohyun and Sunggyu. I can’t blame them for wanting to chase their dreams of being a chef and singer though,” Hyunseung answered. The two of them were together and had worked in the convenience store for as long as Jungsu, but a week ago, a cooking and singing competition presented themselves to Woohyun and Sunggyu respectively, and the couple couldn’t say no. Previously, there had been many similar competitions, but the two felt as if they were betraying Jungsu by quitting. It was only when he prompted them to go and realise their dreams did they decide to quit.

“Ah, yes. Well they should’ve found some replacements before leaving, sheesh,” Doojoon said and rolled his eyes. Hyunseung chuckled and shook his head, pushing his friend into the staff lounge.

“Just shut up and change already. The first customer’s coming in.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

“Thank you and I hope you come again!” Hyunseung exclaimed as another customer left. He heaved a sigh of relief and sagged against the back of the seat. He told himself that he could handle working three shifts daily, but his body wouldn’t be able to take it for much longer. He would collapse eventually, along with Gikwang and Dongwoon.

“It’s lunchtime!” Gikwang exclaimed happily, throwing his hands up in the air and closing the store. Their lunch break was an hour and Hyunseung quickly changed out of his uniform, asking Doojoon what he wanted to eat before going to buy it.

Fifteen minutes later, Hyunseung walked back into the convenience store with his and Doojoon’s food in hand. After handing Doojoon his food, Hyunseung sat down and scrolled through his email inbox. He found Jungsu’s email and began to look through the profiles of people named Junhyung once again.

“What are you doing?” Doojoon asked, looking over Hyunseung’s shoulder in an attempt to see what he was doing. Hyunseung pushed Doojoon away and continued scrolling through profile after profile, pouting to himself when he didn’t see his Junhyung’s face. And by his Junhyung, I meant the Junhyung that he was looking for.

Hyunseung looked up when he heard the door to the staff lounge open. He saw Jungsu with a huge grin on his face, and Hyunseung thought that his manager had gone mad.

“What is it?” Doojoon asked.

“I finally found a new employee! He’s coming over in a while, probably when your lunch break ends, and he’s starting work right away! You can finally take a short break!” Jungsu cheered. Hyunseung’s face lit up at the thought of a short break and he cheered as well.

“Yes! Finally! But will he be able to manage on his own?” Hyunseung pondered aloud.

“You can take the afternoon or night shift with him and Gikwang will take the other two shifts with him and Dongwoon,” Jungsu suggested. Hyunseung nodded in agreement.

“That’s a good plan. I think I’ll take the afternoon and night shifts though. Gikwang and Dongwoon need to rest too. We can probably alternate from now onwards,” Hyunseung said.

“Yeah! Gikwang and Dongwoon can work while you and the new guy take a break, and vice-versa!” Doojoon exclaimed, shocking Jungsu. He hadn’t noticed Doojoon in the room since the guy had been keeping quiet.

“That’s a horrible idea! Leaving them alone will only lead to the store closing twelve hours early! I’ll try to find another employee. Till then, you will work with the newbie and you two will take turns to work with KiWoon. We obviously know that they can’t be left alone,” Jungsu said with a roll of his eyes. After what happened a few days ago, Jungsu had learnt never to leave Gikwang and Dongwoon in charge of the store ever again.

“Yeah, I agree with Jungsu hyung. Doojoon, you don’t even know what happened the other day,” Hyunseung said disapprovingly while clucking his tongue.

“Oh and Doojoon, I appreciate you coming over to help and I’ll pay you accordingly,” Jungsu told Doojoon with a smile. Doojoon shook his head, rejecting the offer.

“I just came to help out since you’re always helping Hyunseung and he’s been so tired recently. As his hyung, it’s expected of me, really,” Doojoon replied hastily.

“Nonsense! I’ll pay you either way, so it up,” Jungsu stuck his tongue out at Doojoon and Doojoon sighed and nodded, giving in to the pregnant male.

“I heard you’re pregnant, hyung,” Doojoon mentioned.

“Yup! Youngwoon’s been crazily overprotective and although it’s sweet, it’s beginning to piss the hell out of me,” Jungsu replied, puffing his cheeks up.

“Well…” Doojoon trailed off as a ringtone suddenly went off. Jungsu apologised before taking the call. He seemed to be pleasantly surprised by whoever it was because he smiled lightly to himself.

“You’re here already? Alright, I’ll go and get you right now. Two of your co-workers aren’t here, but I’ll call them back. Yup, ok,” Jungsu said and ended the call, putting his phone into his pocket and looking at Hyunseung and Doojoon. “Finish your food. The new employee’s here.”

Hyunseung nodded and stuffed the last bit of food into his mouth, and Doojoon threw the empty packets into the rubbish bin. The three went out of the staff lounge and Jungsu let the new employee in.

Hyunseung inspected the guy from head to toe.

This kid can’t be anywhere near twenty years old! His face is so flawless. Damn, his skin is so fair too! What the hell does he do to keep his complexion so good? I should probably ask him since I’m going to work with him for quite a while.

“I’m Hyunseung, one of your co-workers. I look forward to working with you,” Hyunseung introduced himself and smiled warmly at the newbie. When Doojoon didn’t make a sound, Hyunseung nudged his best friend in the side and brought him back to reality.

“Oh, I’m, um… Right, I’m Hyunseung and I’m… Doojoon’s friend best,” Doojoon managed to get out, but it obviously didn’t come out as expected.

The guy laughed at Doojoon’s mistake, along with Jungsu and Hyunseung. “You’re Hyunseung?”

Doojoon finally seemed to realise what he said wrongly and shook his head, blushing a million shades of red.

“No! I’m Doojoon, and I’m Hyunseung’s best friend,” Doojoon corrected himself, his face still as red as before. Hyunseung chuckled and patted his friend on his back.

“What’s wrong with you?” Hyunseung asked. Doojoon didn’t pay Hyunseung any heed and just looked at the new guy, obviously showing interest in him.

“And why don’t you introduce yourself?” Jungsu asked. The newbie remembered that he hadn’t introduced himself and apologised to the three.

“I’m Yang Yoseob, and I’ll be working here from now on.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey people! I finished this chappie like last Thursday or sth but I didn't get around to posting it... -.-

Anyways, who guessed that the new employee was Seobie? Those who wanted it to be Junhyung, that's making it too easy for Seungie XD

Well I hope you guys enjoyed this and look forward to the next chappie (I haven't even started yet)! Annyeong! ^^