Date

You Make Me A Good Man

(Two weeks later)

 

Slowly but surely, Ilhoon was getting used to Junhyung. They mostly talked about what was going on with Ilhoon at school, or about things that happened while Junhyung was gone, but that was better than nothing. Ilhoon first called Junhyung ‘appa’ a few days after Doojoon’s birthday. Junhyung had been assigned with the task of fetching Ilhoon and the twins from school and it just slipped. It made Junhyung’s day though – he got teary and had to lie, saying that something got in his eye. Ilhoon didn’t buy it, of course.

It was a lazy Saturday morning and, as usual, Junhyung was preparing breakfast for the family. He had made plans for today, finally having planned a date night out with Hyunseung. He did ask Ilhoon if he wanted to tag along, but the boy had said that he didn’t want to disrupt them and grinned suggestively. Sometimes Junhyung wondered if his son was a little too smart to be a seven-year-old.

Smiling satisfactorily at the breakfast he’d made, he set everything nicely on a plate and brought it to the master bedroom. Thankfully, Hyunseung was still asleep, so he put the plate down and kissed Hyunseung’s forehead softly. “Seungie, I made breakfast,” he whispered.

Stirring, Hyunseung yawned tiredly and blinked. “Morning Junnie,” he mumbled with a smile, eyes still half-closed. Junhyung laughed at how cute the elder was being and told him to wake up quickly and eat his breakfast while it was hot. It took a few minutes, but Hyunseung was awake enough to register the smell of blueberry pancakes and looked at the plate of food that Junhyung was holding. He raised a brow at the shape of the pancakes. “4.8.6? I only know what 1.4.3 means,” he said, slightly confused.

“Korean for I love you?” Junhyung tried, wondering if Hyunseung would understand.

“Oh. OH. Oh my god that’s so sweet Junnie thanks,” Hyunseung gushed, grinning and hugging the younger male and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“Bon appétit! I’ll go wake Ilhoon up,” Junhyung chuckled, glad that his first surprise of the day had worked out fine. Hyunseung smiled and nodded, taking the plate of pancakes from the younger and starting on them immediately.

Junhyung went back out to grab the other plate of pancakes and went to Ilhoon’s room. “Ilhoon-ah, wake up. Appa made pancakes for you,” Junhyung called out, chuckling when the boy shot up almost instantly. Ilhoon looked at the pancakes hungrily, climbing out of bed and running to the toilet to brush his teeth and wash his face. Junhyung chuckled and went to wait at the dining table.

Ilhoon was out in a minute and started on his breakfast. “Thank you appa!” he exclaimed while chewing on a piece of pancake, trying to grin but failing as his mouth was full.

Junhyung could only chuckle and say, “You’re welcome.” How had he ended up with such a cute son and an amazing boyfriend?

 

---------------------------

 

After breakfast, Ilhoon helped Junhyung to clean up. The boy then went to watch his morning cartoons on TV while Hyunseung got ready for the day. Junhyung sat with his son, running through his plans for the evening. It was just a simple date, to get him back on track with planning nice, romantic dates for Hyunseung. He personally didn’t think it was good enough for Hyunseung, but he still hoped that the elder would like what he’d planned.

Sighing softly, Junhyung tried not to fret over his lack of date ideas. They still had hours before they were due to leave anyway. It was only morning now and he should probably be spending some quality time with his family and friends.

“Do you want to go and play with Jihyun and Sohyun later?” Junhyung asked. Ilhoon looked away from the TV for a split second, nodded, and turned back to his favourite show. Rolling his eyes and chuckling slightly because Ilhoon was obsessed with Pororo, Junhyung texted Yoseob and invited them up for lunch. He needed to get his cooking skills back.

Less than a minute later, there was a knock on the door. Junhyung frowned, wondering if it was Doojoon and Yoseob. They hadn’t even replied him, so they couldn’t possibly already have come upstairs, right? Besides, it wasn’t even lunchtime yet.

“Seungie, are we expecting anyone over today?” Junhyung asked, his frown deepening when Hyunseung said that they weren’t. Reluctantly getting up when there was another knock on the door, Junhyung went to look through the peephole and his eyes widened. He opened the door and looked at the person standing in front of him, who was obviously just as shocked as he was. “Hara?”

“Junhyung oppa?” she gasped. She hadn’t been expecting to see him, at least not now.

“Junnie, who is it?” Hyunseung asked, walking to the door and seeing Hara. “Oh. Hi, Hara.”

Junhyung raised his brow when Hyunseung moved closer to him and grabbed onto his arm almost protectively. He didn’t know if Hara had provoked his boyfriend in any way, or if the elder was just scared of losing him again, but now sure wasn’t the time to ask.

“You didn’t tell me you were back,” Hara said, almost completely ignoring Hyunseung’s presence.

Junhyung cleared his throat uncomfortably. He still remembered who the one who caused him and Hyunseung to be separated for seven years was. He didn’t really want to know if Hara was involved, really. Still, Hara being back in his life meant that Jaewon might very likely be back, too, and Junhyung didn’t want or need that. “I didn’t think I needed to.”

“I know you never loved me, oppa, but I never stopped loving you. Wasn’t our past relationship even worth anything to you?” Hara asked sadly. Hyunseung narrowed his eyes slightly at the girl. Sure, she hadn’t mentioned anything about still loving Junhyung in the past few times she dropped by. She hadn’t even brought Junhyung up, which Hyunseung thought was weird and slightly annoying. But she was so openly trying to get back together with Junhyung now and it made Hyunseung’s hand itch with the urge to slap her. Also, Kyujong and Jungmin had told him that Hara’s brother was Jaewon. That alone caused Hyunseung to be extremely wary of her, although he didn’t show it. Ilhoon was his life and he couldn’t have anything happen to his son.

“I’m sorry Hara, but I was never in love with you and I never will be. What you call our past relationship was nothing but one-sided love on your part. I know this may seem harsh but please, move on. Forget me,” Junhyung told her straightforwardly.

Hara looked at Junhyung, then at Hyunseung, and nodded in understanding. “Right. I let my feelings get the better of me. You have no obligation to tell me anything; neither of you do. I guess I’ll get out of your lives, for good this time. It was nice seeing you one last time, oppa. I know Jaewon oppa was the one who was after you, and I’m sorry for that. I made him promise to leave you two alone,” she told them. Hyunseung frowned, unsure about whether or not to believe her. The couple watched as Hara left, and they closed the door before giving each other a suspicious look.

“You don’t think she set it all up, do you?” Hyunseung questioned.

Junhyung sighed and shrugged. “The Hara I know wouldn’t have done that. She wouldn’t intentionally hurt me, I think,” he replied. That was what he thought, anyway, but who really knew the truth apart from Hara herself and Jaewon?

Hyunseung let out a sigh of his own. “I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Let’s get back in.”

 

-------------------------------

 

The rest of the morning and afternoon was rather uneventful. Ilhoon did ask who was at the door, and seemed a little upset when both his parents refused to tell him who it was. According to Hyunseung, he’d never let Ilhoon meet Hara before. Whenever she dropped by, Hyunseung would tell his son to do his work or stay in the living room, while he and Hara talked at the door.

Junhyung had cooked lunch and they went downstairs to eat with Doojoon and Yoseob. They stayed there and simply talked about anything and everything except for Hara. Both Hyunseung and Junhyung had agreed that it was their problem to settle, not their friends’. Soon enough, it was four in the afternoon and the recently reunited couple had to leave for their date.

“Have fun!” Ilhoon exclaimed, waving to them as they left with a toothy grin.

“Behave yourself,” Hyunseung instructed sternly one last time. Junhyung chuckled, winking at Ilhoon and pulling Hyunseung to the lift, all the while saying that he should ease up a little every now and then. “I know, I know. Just, seeing Hara made me a little uptight. I don’t want anything happening to Ilhoon, you know,” the elder mumbled indignantly. He just had a feeling that something bad was going to happen.

“Well I’m bringing you out on a date and I trust Doojoon and Yoseob. Just enjoy the night and we can worry about other things later, alright?” Junhyung said. Hyunseung grimaced slightly, nodding hesitantly in the end and following Junhyung into the lift. Doojoon had let them use the car for the night, since Junhyung was the one who bought it after all.

They got into the car and Junhyung started driving slowly, trying to get used to the feeling of driving again. He remembered how to drive, of course, but he wasn’t ready to get into an accident because his skills were rusty. Hyunseung looked out the window, wondering where exactly they were going because, as usual, Junhyung refused to tell him their destination.

About a half hour later, they were at a mall in the city. It was almost five now. Junhyung brought Hyunseung up to the highest floor, collected the movie tickets that he’d booked online, and promptly went into the theatre with the elder. Hyunseung smiled slightly when he realised that they were watching that movie he talked about a week ago, the one that Ilhoon couldn’t go to with him because he was too young for the movie’s rating.

It was a sci-fi movie with some gore and violence, which wasn’t exactly romantic in Junhyung’s opinion but whoever said that you have to watch romantic movies on a date? People shooting zombies could be romantic too, as long as you’re with the one you love. Well, fine, maybe that was a long shot, but Junhyung and Hyunseung were past the point where they only watched sappy romance movies on dates anyway.

The movie was two hours long, so by the time it ended it was time for dinner. The couple exited the cinema after everyone else did, not wanting to get caught in the crowd, and Junhyung led the way to the restaurant where they were going to have dinner. It was a simple place, nothing fancy and nobody they knew was working there. Right after ordering their food, however, someone walked towards their table, wearing a cap and holding a single lavender rose. The person handed the flower over to Hyunseung, who looked up in surprise.

“Have a nice night,” he told the couple.

Hyunseung furrowed his brows, finding the person’s voice extremely familiar. “Sungjong?”

“Ugh, yes it’s me. Enjoy your date!” the younger male exclaimed before hurrying away.

Hyunseung watched as Sungjong walked away, before turning back to look at Junhyung and the flower that he’d been given. A smile graced his face as he remembered the significance of a single lavender rose, and its significance to them. “Junnie…” Hyunseung mumbled, feeling his insides melt because of how sweet Junhyung was. It was just a rose, but it meant the world to him.

“I remember,” Junhyung replied with a smile of his own. “I was the one who first gave it to you.”

“You’re the only one who gave me roses, actually,” Hyunseung chuckled. He set the flower aside, making a mental note to thank Sungjong for delivering the flower personally, and looked at Junhyung. “Flowers aside, what’re you planning to work as? You really want to be a composer?” Hyunseung asked curiously. They’d had this discussion a few days after Junhyung first returned, and the younger had mentioned composing. Hyunseung would support Junhyung, without a doubt, but he needed to be sure that it was what the younger really wanted.

Nodding, Junhyung fiddled with Hyunseung’s fingers. “I do, really. When I was in prison, I had so much inspiration. I think I could really do well composing music for others,” he said confidently.

Hyunseung hummed and grinned. “Then you’d better make me and Ilhoon proud!”

Junhyung smirked. “No problem.”

 

-------------------------------

 

The rest of their date consisted mostly of them window shopping and just walking around together. It was nice to be in each other’s presence, after being separated for so long. They didn’t talk much – there was no need to. It may have been seven years since Junhyung left, but they still shared the same chemistry that they had all those years ago.

Time passed quickly and before they knew it, it was past nine. Hyunseung looked at the time, then at Junhyung, and sighed softly. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to go home and be with Ilhoon, but he missed the times when they could stay out as late as they wanted. “Let’s go home?” the elder asked.

“Wait. I have something to show you,” Junhyung said as he looked at the time, pulling Hyunseung with him to the lift. They went up to the roof, Hyunseung being confused the entire time. Then Junhyung led him over to where there was something rather bright, and Hyunseung’s breath caught in his throat when he could see what it was.

There were dozens of lit candles on the floor, forming the shape of a big heart. Junhyung smiled and walked into the centre, beckoning Hyunseung to follow him. The elder did as told, looking around in an attempt to see who the one who had helped Junhyung set this up was. When Hyunseung turned back to look at Junhyung, he felt his heart stop at the sight in front of him.

Junhyung was still in the same clothes he’d worn out, but he was kneeling down on one knee with a small, red velvet box in his hand. Hyunseung’s hand flew to his mouth as his heart started to thud crazily, and tears started to form in his eyes.

“I know I’ve only been back for two weeks, but I’ve made you wait seven years already. I think it’s about time we bring our relationship to the next level, because I’m sure that you’re the only one I want to spend the rest of my life with. So, Jang Hyunseung, will you marry me?” Junhyung asked. He was extremely nervous, not knowing if it was too soon to propose. This was only their first date since his return and already he was proposing. But he really didn’t think it was fair to make Hyunseung wait anymore; seven years was more than enough waiting.

Hyunseung nodded, a huge grin on his face. Junhyung got up slowly, removing the ring from the box and slipping it onto Hyunseung’s left ring finger. The ring was a simple silver ring, with a small diamond embedded in the middle of what seemed to be half of a heart. “What’d you engrave?” the elder asked curiously, having seen something engraved on the inside of the ring but not wanting to take the ring off to see.

“The same as what’s engraved in our promise rings,” Junhyung replied with a small smile. “I’ll make more money before our wedding, and I’ll buy you a better wedding ring. I know you don’t need a fancy, expensive diamond ring, but let me do this for you.”

Hyunseung sighed contentedly, pulling his now fiancé into a hug and kissing him. They pulled apart a minute later, and Hyunseung held Junhyung’s left hand up, placing their rings side by side and grinning once more when he saw that the half-hearts fit perfectly.

Before Hyunseung could say anything about that, Junhyung said, “Our hearts are two halves of the same whole. One isn’t complete without the other.” The elder could only nod in agreement, leaning against the younger’s chest and simply enjoying the feeling of being in his arms.

“You’re so cheesy, but I love you,” Hyunseung murmured.

“I love you too, so much.”

“Let’s go home?”

“Give me some time to clean this up first,” Junhyung chuckled. “I can’t be asking Sungjong and Sungyeol to help me clean up, too.” Hyunseung shrugged, and the couple quickly blew all the candles out and threw them away. There were some wax stains on the floor, but there wasn’t anything they could do about that. Once they were done, they made their way home.

On the car, Hyunseung leaned against Junhyung and admired his engagement ring.

Now how did I get so lucky?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok you guys might think that it's a little sudden that Junhyung proposed BUT think of his rationale

I mean Hyunseung's been waiting for him for seven years so it isn't really fair to him is it

So yup bam Hara's back, there's a surprise proposal and on a side note, sorry for updating so late >< got a little blocked and also I've been addicted to maple recently OTL

Well I hope you guys enjoyed the update and look forward to the next one which will again probably be late heh

That's all from me for now annyeong~! ^^