On...

Without That xx

[Daesung’s POV]


 

I looked at the two in front of me and nodded. “I’m fine.” I tried to not make eye contact with them.


 

The woman smiled. “Your neck? It’s better?” She asked.


 

I looked at her and nodded. “Neh. It’s better.” I moved the scarf so it would cover the scar.


 

“Hey, why don’t you come over for dinner tonight? At Daesung’s house. It’s going to be their first Christmas without him and they want all his friends there.” The guy asked.


 

I bowed. “Thank you for the kind offer, but I have to pass. I need to…” I looked around. “I need to get some things ready.”


 

“Are you traveling?” The woman asked.


I looked at her and then at Youngbae. “Yes.” I looked at her again.


 

“When are you leaving?” The guy asked.


 

“Tomorrow?” I said unsure.


 

The guy laughed. “Come on… Just for a few minutes. You can leave right after that. Daesung’s mother would like it.”


 

I looked at him and then at her. “Okay. Only for a few minutes.”


 

“You remind me so much of my brother.” She said to me.


 

I looked away. “We are more a like than you actually know Bora.” I smiled a little and looked at her.


 

“Well, let’s go.” Youngbae said looking at me and Bora. Bora just stood there looking at me.


 

“Actually… I’ll meet you guys there okay? I have to do something real quick.” I said backing away a few steps.


 

“Well Okay. See you there!” Youngbae said waving. He turned around and started walking. He stopped and turned back around. “Bora?” He said softly.


 

She turned around and looked at him. “Neh?”


 

“Come on, we have to get back to the house.” Youngbae said smiling.


 

“Okay.” She walked up to him and held his hand. As they walked she turned her head to the side and watched me as I was walking the other way. She sighed and turned to face forward again.


 

I started to run after they walked away. Once I knew I was out of sight I leaned against the wall and breathed heavily.


 

“Oh my god.” I said looking around. I took a deep breath and cleared my throat. I looked around the corner and then behind me. I took another breath and then started walking again.

“What are the odds of that?” I said to myself as I walked. “Running into them.”


 

Seunghyun’s house


 

Seunghyun stood in front of his mirror in his bedroom looking at himself. Bom was walking around the room as she was putting on her heels. She finally sat down on the bed to put the second one on.


 

She looked over at Seunghyun. “You okay?” She asked.


 

He looked at her reflection in the mirror. “Neh. I’m just peachy.” He muttered.


 

“Look, I wish I knew where Daesung ran off to also… but I don’t… I wish I could find him… but I can’t.” Bom sighed as she stood up and walked up behind Seunghyun. She leaned forward and rested her head on his back. “I’m sorry.” She said softly.


 

“Yeah… It’s okay.” He softly said looking at himself again. “I wish I had understood him better.”


 

At Daesung’s House.


 

“Okay! Is everything ready?!” my mom said hurrying into the kitchen. It was only a few weeks before Christmas, not even the day itself yet… but my mother couldn’t help but feel hurt… I wasn’t there… as her son to celebrate.


 

“Aniyo, we’re waiting for a few more people.” Bora said carrying food to the table.


 

“Who?” My mom asked looking at Bora as she sat some more plates down.


 

“Seunghyun and Bom for one.” Youngbae said walking over. “Oh and Daehyun.”


 

My mom stopped putting plates down and looked at Youngbae. She thought he said ‘Daesung


 

“Daesung?” She said softly. Her eyes started to water.


 

“What? Oh Aniyo… I said Daehyun… Dae...Hyun.” Youngbae said the name more clearer.


 

“Oh…” My mom took a deep breath. “I thought you said Daesung… I was going to say…” She started to choke up. “That’s impossible…” She looked away. “He’s not here anymore.” She looked up at Youngbae for a second and then put on a quick smile. “But he’s in a better place now. Come on everybody lets just sit down and wait a few more minutes.” My mom said sitting down at the table.


 

“Okay.” Bora said softly. She sat down at the table. Youngbae stood next to her and walked to the kitchen.


 

The doorbell rang. “Oh I’ll get it.” My mom said standing back up.


 

“Aniyo, I’ll get it.” Youngbae said walking over to the door.


 

“You’re too sweet Youngbae.” My mom said sitting back down.


 

Youngbae smiled and headed to the door. He placed his hand on the door knob and opened it. He looked up and smiled. “Oh hey you two. Come on in.”


 

Bom and Seunghyun both smiled. It was snowing really heavy now outside. “Oh please, that’d be nice.” Bom said walking in. “The snow storm is getting worse I think.” Bom laughed and walked over to the table.


 

Seunghyun smiled at Youngbae and walked in. “What’s up.” He said entering the living room.


Youngbae closed the door. “Nothing much. How are you and Bom?”


 

Seunghyun turned around. “We’re good. We’re good.” He said softly.


 

“Good!” Youngbae smiled and led Seunghyun to the table.


 

They all sat down and started to eat. They were all laughing and eating. They were telling jokes and sharing stories. Remember the happy times.


 

“Mm. Where’s the other boy?” My mom spoke up.


 

“What other boy?” Seunghyun asked looking at her.


 

“Daehyun.” Youngbae said looking at Seunghyun.


 

Bom and Seunghyun both looked at Seunghyun.


 

“Yeah… He was supposed to be here.” Bora said putting her fork down.


 

Seunghyun shook his head. “What? He is?” He looked at Youngbae. “Did you see him?”


 

“Yeah, today actually.” Youngbae replied.


 

“Where?!” Seunghyun said quickly.


 

“By the river. It was early this morning. He seemed in a hurry.” Youngbae explained.


 

“Yeah… He seemed strange.” Bora added.


 

Bom looked at Seunghyun. Seunghyun just looked at Youngbae and then his plate of food.


 

“Maybe he’ll show up.” Bom whispered in his ear.


 

Seunghyun didn’t respond to this.


 

At the shelter.


 

I sat on the edge of the window and looked out. I saw the snow falling and it get heavier. I looked down at the streets and watched people walk and run. I rubbed my eyes and remember when I saw Youngbae and Bora.


 

I remember earlier how Youngbae told me it would be there first christmas without me. Maybe I should go.

I need to stop being afraid. I placed my hand on my chest and then stood up. I walked out of the room and then the building… Into the snow storm.


 

I held my jacket closed more. I started to run down the sidewalk. The shelter wasn’t far from the house.

It just… felt like it was taking forever.


 

Once I reached my street and saw my house. I slowed down to a walk and smiled a little. I reached the door and breathed in. I went to knock but I heard laughter. I quietly moved to the window and looked in and saw them.


 

They were all laughing. About what? I thought they would look sad. I saw Seunghyun, he was staring at his food and Bom was sitting next to him laughing. I sighed and turned away from the house.


 

Someone pulled up in the driveway. The car turned off and a man walked out.


 

“Who is that?” He asked walking over.


 

I looked at the guy.


 

“Oh, it’s you Daesung’s friend. I remember you from the funeral.” My dad said softly.


 

I bowed to him. “Annyeonghaseyo.” I said softly.


 

“Ani… no need to bow. Come on let’s get inside. The storm is getting worse.” He smiled and led me to the door.


 

“No… I… I can’t go in.” I said softly.


 

“Oh nonsense. You made this trip, you must come in and eat some food.” He smiled as he unlocked the door and opened it.


 

The laughter got louder when the door opened. My dad walked in and I slowly followed. I stood there.


 

“Oh it sounds like someone is here.” My mom said standing up.


 

My dad walked into the dining room. “Hey everyone.” He said happy.


 

My mom walked over and gave him a kiss. “hey honey.” She smiled.


 

“Hey dad.” Bora said standing up, she walked over and hugged her dad.


 

“Oh, you guys I found someone at the front door. He was trying to leave.” He laughed and turned towards the door.


 

“Who did you find?” My mom asked looking at the door.


 

There was no one there. A trail of snow lead in the house, but no one was there.


 

“He was right behind me.” My dad said confused.


 

“Oh honey, you must be tired from today.” My mom said leading him to the table.


 

I was on the other side of the house. I was leaning against the wall, breathing heavily. I shook my head.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t go in.” I said as I started to cry.


The storm getting worse.
 

"Say something, I'm giving up on..."