Chapter 65 ♡

My Mission: 20 days to make Byun Baekhyun smile

 


 

Chapter Sixty-Five 

 

Baekhyun smiled and placed his arm on your shoulders. You looked at him and smiled, but he was looking outside. It’s obvious that he’s trying hard to be happy even when you can clearly see the misery in his eyes. You decided not to say anything more.
 
After the ride the both of you decided to take a walk around the theme park. You walked past a couple wearing similar shirts. A smile crept up on your face as you stare at them. “I hope we can do that someday.” Realizing that you barely have one day left, you easily regretted what you said. 
 
“Baekhyun, can I ask you something?” 
 
“What?” He asked, looking down at you.
 
“What makes you happy?” You tried to ask in the most careful way you can. 
 
“Before you came?” He paused. “Nothing.”
 
“That’s not even correct. I’m not a ‘what’, I’m a ‘who’, it’s different you know.” 
 
“Okay. Your presence, then.” He looked straight ahead. 
 
You rolled your eyes and sighed. You can’t really tell whether he’s serious about it or not. “Okay, except for me and my presence and everything. What makes you happy?” You asked ruggedly.
 
“Nothing.” He shrugged. 
 
“Seriously? Do you honestly depend your happiness on something you might lose?”
 
He took a moment before responding, “Well I guess it’s not my fault anymore if you’re not allowed to stay forever in this world.” 
 
“Oh, so now you’re putting the blame on me.” You stopped walking.
 
“I did not say anything like that.” Baekhyun continued walking.
 
You glared at him, “Fine!” and treaded behind him.
 
5:00 pm
 
❅ Your POV ❅
 
Both of us got out of the theme park and strolled along the Seok-Cheon lake. I gloated at the cherry blossom trees that were all around the place. The Christmas spirit can still be felt because there were still Christmas decorations and lights of different colors everywhere. 
 
It was starting to get dark and it made me feel dismal. I was still walking behind Baekhyun. His hands were in his pockets and he was just walking like all he wanted to do was to walk and walk and walk for the rest of his life.
 
Today is day 19 and wasting time is definitely not the right thing to do. I can’t just keep quiet and wait for Baekhyun to talk to me or be the one to make the first move. I am clearly aware that I overreacted awhile ago and because of that, I have no right to let my arrogance do its job. I needed to talk to him. 
 
“Byun Baekhyun,” I called. 
 
I wasn’t that far from him for me not to be heard, but he just continued walking as if he didn’t hear anything.
 
“I know that you clean your ears every morning and that you clearly heard me.”
 
But he just continued to walk.
 
❅ Baekhyun’s POV ❅
 
Cheonsa’s really making it hard for me. I suddenly felt the urge to get away from her. To not look at her. To ignore her and not listen to anything she plans to say. To just distance myself from her. I want to get mad at her. I want her to annoy me so I have a reason to shout at her and tell her to go away and leave me alone. I want to forget everything that happened since day one. I want to forget about her and to feel nothing whenever she’s there. I want her out of my life, for heaven’s sake.
 
But I can’t.
 
I don’t want to feel the pain when tomorrow comes and she isn’t there anymore. How can I do that when at this very moment, I can’t help but think of things that I can do to make her stay? 
 
She called my name. I ignored her.
 
“I know that you clean your ears every morning and that you clearly heard me.” 
 
I continued to walk. 
 
“I just wanna ask you something.” 
 
I stopped. I was expecting her to stand up beside me or right in front of me and ask me what she wanted to ask, but no. She stood up behind me and said, “Are you ready?”
 
Am I ready for what? Oh. Of course she was pertaining about her last day. But I am really not in the mood to talk about it right now. My emotions are too strong and I’m afraid that I might say things that are drab. So, I answered it the Baekhyun way. “Ready to go home? Yes!” I hope she stops asking. Please. Please. Please.
 
“Are you ready to continue your journey without me?” She asked.
 
A tear fell from my eye. 
 
“Are you ready to finally let go of all the sadness and hatred buried inside your heart and start to live a happy life?” 
 
Cheonsa stood up in front of me. Of course, she saw me crying. “Are you ready to make day one up until this day a part of your past?” She looked up at me with sanguine eyes. 
 
The atmosphere was so quiet I almost heard the sound of my heart crumbling. The butterflies in my stomach froze and I started to feel exasperated. I looked at her and said, “I am.” I gulped. “It’s not like you’re a very important part of my life.” I clenched my jaw and walked away, slamming my shoulder onto hers.
 
I wanted to punch myself in the face for what I said to her. Why the heck did I fall in love with her? Out of all the people in this world, why does it have to be her? God, out of all your angels...why her? Cheonsa isn’t supposed to be a part of my life. And now, she’s a huge part of it. When she leaves it feels like every other part of my life will crumble down right before me. Today is day 19 and all I want is to skip this day and the day after and just disappear. 
 
❅ Narrator’s POV ❅
 
As soon as Baekhyun started to walk away, you felt like your heart was starting to congest. You tried to catch your breath as you clutched your necklace.
 
*Master...* You thought. *I can no longer take this pain. You sent me here for a very important mission. You gave it to me thinking that I can do it without any difficulty. You trusted me. And I failed. I think I wasn’t able to do what you wanted me to do. I know I did not succeed. I’m so sorry for going against you. For doing what is wrong. Sorry if I fell in love with someone I wasn’t supposed to have feelings for. I just want to leave this world without feeling any regret and pain. Can I ask you for something before I get punished?* 
 
You closed your eyes and heaved a deep breath. *Please, make this time pass. Faster. Please make it easy for me to leave.*
 
Your necklace started to glow vividly. You squeezed your eyes shut and tried to empty your mind. 
 
The necklace let out a dazzling light as it started to break. 
 
You slowly opened your eyes. The moon was shining radiantly. You were still in the exact same place and Baekhyun was not too far from you. Looking down, you saw your necklace, broken into tiny pieces. It was letting out a faint light. You felt like you were starting to melt like a candle.
 
Baekhyun spun around when he heard a loud thump. He saw you lying on the pavement. He ran towards you and carried you up. A taxi cab was passing by and Baekhyun drifted towards it. The driver opened the car door and Baekhyun lied you down in a swift. He got inside and closed the door. 
 
Baekhyun bumped his head onto the headrest when the cab zoomed off. “Please be careful. We’re not really in a hurry, we just need to get home, safe.” He said. But the driver was too perturbed to listen. 
 
You held onto Baekhyun’s arms and said, “Can we please go back home already?” Your voice trailed off. You felt too weak to speak.
 
“Shh. Don’t worry. We’re on our way.” Baekhyun held your hand and squeezed it.
 
He looked at his wristwatch. 11:59. *What the heck?* He was about to ask the driver what time it was when he bumped his head on the headrest again. The taxi driver seemed drunk because he wouldn’t listen to anything Baekhyun tried to say.
 
DAY 20 
 
He was about to tell the driver to stop the car when a bright white light crashed strongly onto the taxi cab. The car was critically damaged and all of them were unconscious.