Chapter 3 - The Part-time Model and The Vice-President

Red Fountain Academy Series

Esther, Best and Fern are in their room unpacking their things.

“Esther, we need to buy some groceries.” Best said when she’s checking their personal refrigerator.

“I’ll buy it.” Fern said.

“Do you want me to go with you?” Best asks.

“No. I can do it.” Fern said. “I’ll just borrow PunPun’s bicycle.”

“Ok. Come back quickly.” Best said.

“Ok.” Fern said and left.

“Esther, this will be our last year as high school students. Do you have plans after this?” Best asks.

“I’m leaving Thailand. Pa wants me to study in Malaysia.” Esther said.

“Malaysia? Are you not going to study your college here in R.F.A?” Best asks.

Esther sighed. “I don’t know. Ever since I was a child, my parents already planned it. You know that I am a scholar here and because of my part time job, I can still pay the rent of this dormitory and buy some school supplies.”

“You’re right about that.” Best said.

“What about you?” Esther asks.

“I will continue my studies here. If I really want to be known as a swimmer, I need to stay in the club.” Best said.

“But Natthapat is there.” Esther said.

“She is an only wall against my success. I can just break the wall with a wrecking ball.” Best said.

The two look at each other and then sing. “I came in like a wrecking ball…

The two sing Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus.

“Let’s continue what we are doing.” Esther said after the song.

The two continue unpacking and also cleaning the room.

“But Esther, since this will be your last year, are you not planning to have a boyfriend?” Best asks.

“Boyfriend? No way!” Esther said. “Maybe in college.”

“You’re going to have a Malaysian boyfriend?” Best asks.

“What’s wrong with that?” Esther asks.

“You should have a Thai boyfriend first.” Best said.

“Ya… I had a Thai boyfriend once and it didn’t go well.” Esther said.

“You mean Thorn?” Best teases.

“Don’t ever mention that guy.” Esther said. “If I am going to have a boyfriend, he must be sweet, gentleman and kind. Not like that guy. He’s ert, a headache and the most unmannered guy I have ever met.”

“You guys ended in a wrong way. Why don’t you give yourselves another chance? Thorn is a good guy and sometimes playful but he’s ok.” Best said.

“Why are you building up him to me? If this is about the boyfriend thing before our graduation, why are you single?” Esther asks.

“I don’t even know the answer. I am beautiful and y just like Natthapat but all the boys are on her side.” Best said.

“You don’t even know the answer?” Esther unbelievably asks.

Best shook her head.

“It is amazing how you know Thorn’s attitude when you don’t even notice the guy that is always on your side.” Esther said.

“Who is it?” Best asks.

“Enough of that. Help me hang this painting on the wall.” Esther said.

……………………………………………………

After unpacking and cleaning the room, Best starts to sneeze nonstop.

“What happened to you?” Esther asks.

“Because of the dust, my nose is itchy. Achoo!” Best said and rubs her nose.

Esther can’t help but to laugh.

“This is not funny.” Best irritated said.

“Look at your nose, you look like Rudolph.” Esther said. “Stay here and I’ll go to the clinic. I’ll ask Dr. Tiny for some medicine for your allergy.”

“Thanks, Esther. Achoo!” Best said.

Esther leaves Best in their room.

……………………………………………………

Thorn and Tao are walking around the university. They are checking everything for the start of the school.

“Some members of the student council will help the new students to get to the assembly hall.” Thorn is reporting to Tao. “After the assembly, the club members will go to their respective booths and the new students can have a one day tour around the university to choose the club they want.”

“Good.” Tao said. “Let’s check the cafeterias.”

“Yes, President.” Thorn said.

The two walk to the cafeteria.

“This will be our last year as part of the student council.” Tao said.

“You’re right.” Thorn said. “Unless, you will stay here. You can still run for the president for the college student council.”

Tao smirked. “I’d rather enjoy my college life without thinking the whole academy.”

“I agree with that. But unfortunately I won’t be here by the time of our graduation. I’m leaving Thailand in 4 months.” Thorn said.

“Then, are you not going to talk things over with Esther? After all, you are leaving soon.” Tao asks.

“For all these years, I tried to talk to her but she doesn’t want to talk to me. I just get tired of that.” Thorn said.

“You only have less than 4 months. Try it for one last time.” Tao said.

“I will think of that after our first day.” Thorn said. “What about you? Are you just going to be the president until graduation?”

“I’m busier since this will be our last year. I need to finish everything before I pass it to the next president.” Tao said. “Also, I will be busy again once my college life starts.”

“Tao, just a friendly advice. Life is short, you need to enjoy it because we don’t know when it will end.” Thorn said.

“So, that’s the reason why you cheated on Esther.” Tao said.

“I didn’t cheated on her. It is called partying.” Thorn said.

“Partying without telling your girlfriend?” Tao asks.

“I give up.” Thorn said.

“You know what? Maybe I can go to the cafeterias all by myself.” Tao said.

“Why?” Thorn asks.

“It is time for you to talk to Esther.” Tao said while looking at someone from a far.

Thorn also see Esther walking not too far from them.

“Good luck, bro.” Tao said. He pats Thorn’s back before leaving him

……………………………………………………

Esther is on her way to the clinic when she heard a familiar voice.

“Hi, babe!”

Esther rolled her eyes and walks faster.

But the owner of that voice grabs her arm to make her stop from walking away.

“Let me go!” she shouts.

“Relax. I am not going to do anything. I called you but you ignore me.” Thorn said.

“Oh? Did you call me? I thought you are calling the pig.” Esther said. She is talking about the pig in the movie named “Babe”.

“Let’s talk.” Thorn said.

“I can’t. I’m busy.” Esther said.

“You’re always saying that.” Thorn said. “Can’t you at least listen to my explanation first?”

“It’s been two years and I don’t care with your explanation.” Esther said.

“If you just let me explain my side that time.” Thorn said.

“What I saw was the perfect explanation.” Esther said. “Stop bothering me.”

Esther start walking again.

Thorn follows her.

Esther stops walking. “Stop following me.”

“No.” Thorn said. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to the clinic to ask some medicine for the allergy. Best got allergy because of the dust.” Esther said.

“I have a medicine for allergy.” Thorn said.

“Why didn’t you say so?” Esther asks.

“You didn’t tell me about the allergy.” Thorn said.

“Give it to me.” Esther said.

“It’s in my room. Let’s go get it.” Thorn said.

“Mario’s there, right?” Esther asks.

“He hasn’t arrived yet.” Thorn said. “Let’s go?”

“Never mind.” Esther said and starts walking again.

“Why? The clinic is far.” Thorn said.

“I’d rather walk far than go to your room.” Esther said.

“You’re just going to get the medicine.” Thorn said. “Unless you are thinking of something else.”

“I am not!” Esther said.

“You’re blushing.” Thorn said.

“I’m not!” Esther said.

“If you really want to, just tell me. I can call Mario and ask him to stay to other room.” Thorn said.

“Ya! ert!” Esther shouts and pushed Thorn.

She doesn’t even realized that they are at the small bridge.

Thorn got off-balanced and fell in the man-made river.

Esther gasped because of shocked.

“I’m sorry.” Esther said and runs away.

“Ya! Esther Supreeleela!” Thorn called her.

“OMG! Thorn, just what are you doing?” Gypsy asks.

She just finished unpacking her things and decided to look around and also to cool down.

“Yah… Help me.” Thorn said.

“And get wet just like you? No way.” Gypsy said.

Thorn splashed some water to Gypsy.

Gypsy screamed.

“Yah! Stop it!” Gypsy said.

“Are you going to help me or not?” Thorn asks.

“Urgghh! Fine!” Gypsy said. She removes her 3-inched high heels shoes and helped Thorn.

But Thorn is being naughty. When Gypsy reached her hand to him, he pulled her into the water.

“Yah! Shaun Jindachot!” Gypsy said.

“Sometimes you need to enjoy yourself.” Thorn said and laughed.

Gypsy smiled but she is hiding it.

“See? You’re smiling.” Thorn said.

“No!” Gypsy said but she’s smiling.

Thorn splashed some water to her.

Gypsy did it too to him.

……………………………………………………

Esther who runs away felt guilty to Thorn. It was her fault why he fell in the water. She walks back to apologize but she stops when she saw him and Gypsy having fun.

“He is such a playboy!” Esther said and left.

She went to the clinic while frowning. Because her thoughts are still on Thorn she didn’t noticed the doctor going out of the clinic.

The two bumped.

“Oh no! I’m so sorry, Dr. Tiny.” Esther said.

“It’s ok. I’m fine.” the beautiful doctor said.

Name: Tiny Noel

Description: Goddess Doctor

“You’re in deep thoughts that’s why you didn’t see me.” Tiny said.

“Kind of.” Esther said.

“What can I do for you? You’re lucky that we bumped. I was about to go and check the cafeterias.” Dr. Tiny said.

“Best got allergies because of dust. She keeps on sneezing.” Esther said.

“I see. It happens to me all the time.” Dr. Tiny said and went inside the clinic.

She gets some medicine in the medicine cabinet.

“Here. Take one pill and if her sneeze still didn’t stop, take another pill after four hours.” Dr. Tiny said.

“Thank you, Dr. Tiny.” Esther said.

“Anything else?” Dr. Tiny asks.

“None. Thank you.” Esther said and leaves.

……………………………………………………

Esther went back to the dormitory. She gave the medicine to Best.

“Thank you, Esther.” Best said after taking a medicine.

“It’s nothing.” Esther said and then she remembered Thorn and Gypsy.

“Is there something wrong?” Best asks.

“Nothing.” Esther said.

“I’ll just go out.” Best said.

“What about your allergy?” Esther asks.

“I think the medicine is working.” Best said.

“Already?” Esther asks.

Best giggled.

“I just want to breathe some fresh air. Maybe it will help my allergy to go faster.” Best said.

“Ok.” Esther said.

When Best is gone, Esther took out the box she is hiding under her bed. It is her memory box.

She opens it and took the pictures out. There were pictures of her and Thorn from the past.

……………………………………………………

Thorn and Esther were a couple back then. They were happy although Esther knew that Thorn is a playboy. She believes that she will change him.

“You’re not allowed to go to a party with other girls.” Esther said.

“Eh? But why?” Thorn asks.

“I’m your girlfriend and I don’t want you to be friends with other girls.” Esther said.

“Ok. Ok.” Thorn said.

Esther knew that Thorn doesn’t like to be boss around by someone especially with his lifestyle but if Thorn really loves her, he is willing to change his lifestyle for her.

One day, Esther is in her part-time job. Thorn went to a party with Mario.

“Did Esther knew that you’re here?” Mario asks.

“She doesn’t need to know. If she knew that I am here, she will get mad.” Thorn said. “Seriously, I am sick of her being bossy. Don’t go to a party. Don’t hang out with other girls. Don’t do that. Don’t do this. I’m sick of that. This is my lifestyle, she can’t just change it.”

“But she is your girlfriend. You need to earn her trust.” Mario said.

“She is just my girlfriend not wife.” Thorn said.

“What if she found out that you’re here?” Mario asks.

“She won’t. She is working right now.” Thorn said.

“Hi, Thorn! Long time no see.” A y girl said.

“Hi, Bifern.” Thorn said and wraps his arm around the waist of the y girl.

He didn’t know that Best and Nicky are in the party too.

Best calls Esther right away after she saw Thorn with another girl.

In just few minutes, Esther came. She went straight to Thorn.

“Babe.” She coldly said.

“Babe.” Thorn was shocked to see his girlfriend in the party.

“This is what I am trying to say.” Mario whispered.

“You just broke all my rules in one night.” Esther said.

“Babe, let me explain.” Thorn said.

Esther slapped him right to his face.

“We are done.” Esther said and walk away.

……………………………………………………

Esther wipe the tears that fell on her cheeks after reminiscing the past.

“You’ve never changed and you’ll never be.” Esther said and puts back the pictures inside the box.

She still love Thorn but she will not risk her heart again to get hurt. She’d rather keep it to herself than to get hurt again.

Just then, Fern came back.

“Are you alright?” Fern asks.

“I’m fine.” Esther said and secretly wipes the tears.

But Fern noticed it.

“You met Thorn again, right? Then, you can’t help but to reminisce the past.” Fern said.

“You really know me.” Esther said.

“You love him but you don’t dare to get back together with him because you are scared to get hurt again.” Fern said while arranging the foods in the refrigerator.

“Am I wrong?” Esther asks.

“All I know is that Thorn deserves to explain his side and after that, you can decide whether you will accept him again or not.” Fern said.

Esther hugs Fern from the back. “For the single girl like you, how come you can give love advice?”

“Huh? Ah… Because I often read books about love stories.” Fern said.

“Really?” Esther asks.

“Y-Yes.” Fern said and get away from Esther’s hug.

“Fern, are you going to continue your studies here after our graduation?” Esther asks.

“Yes.” Fern said.

“Will you take care of Best for me?” Esther asks.

Fern understand that Esther will be leaving even though she doesn’t ask.

“Sure.” Fern said.

“Best might be tough outside but she is weak inside. I’m afraid that Natthapat will easily let her down once I am not here. I want you to be on Best’s side always.” Esther said.

“I will.” Fern said.

“But are you not going to ask where I am going?” Esther asks.

“Malaysia.” Fern said.

“How did you know?” Esther asks.

“Just a guess. Your father is in Malaysia. If you ask me to take care of Best it means that it will be hard for you to see us always.” Fern said.

“You’re really a smart girl. Your only problem is that sometimes you don’t have emotions. I still wonder how you got in Drama club.” Esther said.

Fern smirked. “I’ll just take a shower.” And went inside the bathroom.

……………………………………………………

After talking to Jes, Thorn went to his and Mario’s room. He took a shower and while showering he can’t stop thinking about Esther.

After the night that Esther broke up with her, he didn’t date any girls. All he wants is to apologize and explain his side. He knew it was his fault but he still want to fix everything. He still loves Esther but how can he tell her that when she always go away every time she see him.

If you’re going to tell her that you love her and she still loves you, how can you tell her that you’re leaving? You will end up hurting her again.’ His mind said.

That is also Thorn’s problem. How can he tell her that he is leaving?

“Urgghh! Shaun Jindachot! Think! Think! Think!” Thorn irritated said while bumping his head on the tiled wall.

“I know! Fern!” Thorn said.

Thorn grabs his cellphone and calls Fern.

“Hello, Fern?” Thorn said.

“What is it?”

“I need your help.” Thorn said.

“What kind of help?”

“Will you convince Esther to listen to my explanation?” Thorn asks.

“I already talked to her but I don’t know if she listens to me.”

“You already talked to her? But I didn’t ask you.” Thorn said.

“Esther is leaving after graduation. But don’t tell her that I tell you this. Bye.”

“Esther is leaving too?” Thorn said.