Chapter 14 - The Swimmer & The Comedian

Red Fountain Academy Series

It is the week of the anniversary of Red Fountain Academy. Although Best and Esther are ok now and they are friends with Gypsy’s group, Best isn’t happy because of Nicky.

After the night that Nicky chose Vill over her, Best avoids Nicky.

“Best, wanna check out the booths?” Toptap asks.

Recently, Toptap and Best are hanging out together.

“Sure.” Best said.

The two visits the booths of the colleges clubs.

“What we will check first?” Best asks.

“Let’s check the Faculty of Agriculture.” Toptap said.

“Let me guess, you’re preparing to be the assistant of New’s uncle in the farm, right?” Best said.

“You’re right. I always wanted to work in the farm so I am going to do anything to get in the Faculty of Agriculture.” Toptap said.

“I noticed that if you are with Nicky, you are different.” Best said.

“Just say that I am weird if I am with Nicky.” Toptap said.

“Right.” Best said.

“Nicky is my only friend here and I treat him as my best friend. Nicky is weird so I am just riding his weirdness.” Toptap said.

Wow… These two are both pretending for the sake of each other.’ Best’s thought.

“But I admit it that I enjoy with our imaginary hunting of dragons and other magical creatures.” Toptap said.

“Even though I didn’t admit it, hanging out with you guys are fun. Sometimes being young adult is boring. Playing sometimes makes me forget my problems.” Best said.

“But Nicky changed.” Toptap said.

Best felt sad.

“Who needs him when we can go hunting magical creatures together?” Best asks.

Toptap looks at her in disbelief.

“I’m serious. With this bloody training, sometimes I need a break and hunt some fairies.” Best said smiles.

Toptap smiles.

“Nicky is lucky to have you but he is wasting it.” Toptap said.

Best doesn’t want to talk about it. Luckily, they finally arrived at the Faculty of Agriculture.

The Faculty of Agriculture is beautifully decorated with different flowers.

“Hi, Toptap, Best.” Anne greets.

“Hello, Prof. Anne.” Best and Toptap greet.

“It is nice that you brought your girlfriend here, Toptap.” Anne said.

“Best isn’t my girlfriend. She’s a friend.” Toptap said.

“Oh, I see…” Anne said. “I thought you finally brought your girlfriend.”

“Is Toptap always here?” Best asks.

“Yes. Every weekend if he is staying in the dorm, he helps us take care of the plants.” Anne said.

“Wow…” Best said.

“Best, did you know that the Faculty of Agriculture is studying on how different kinds of plants that can only be found in other countries can grow here?” Toptap asks.

Best shook her head.

“That’s what we do here that’s why Faculty of Agriculture has the biggest land in College Town.” Anne said. “Anyway, we’re giving free flowers today. You should give one to her, Toptap.”

Toptap choose from different kinds of flowers in the booth.

“Then, I’ll choose this tulip.” Toptap said and give a tulip to Best.

“Nice choice.” Anne said. “I need to go now. I’ll just check the other booths.”

Anne left.

“Thanks, Toptap.” Best said.

“Did you know the meaning of tulip?” Toptap asks.

Best shook her head.

“Tulip symbolizes fame and perfect love. I wish you to be famous in swimming and found your perfect love.” Toptap said.

“Thank you, Toptap.” Best said.

“Let’s go. I’ll introduce you to other college students.” Toptap said.

……………………………………………………

Meanwhile, Toptap and Best didn’t know that Nicky is also in the Faculty of Agriculture with Vill and it happened that he saw Toptap gave Best the tulip.

“Nicky, do you know the meaning of tulip?” Vill asks.

“No.” Nicky said.

“Tulip signifies a declaration of love.” Vill said.

“So, Toptap also likes my Best? And he is using this chance to confess his feelings to her.” Nicky said.

“Maybe that’s not what he meant.” Vill said.

But Nicky didn’t listen and followed the two.

“Nicky!” Vill called him but Nicky didn’t listen.

……………………………………………………

Toptap and Best are looking at the different kinds of cactus when Nicky pulls Best away from Toptap.

“Ouch! What’s wrong with you?” Best is annoyed with Nicky’s movement.

“Toptap, you’re my best friend and you knew well how I love Best so back off!” Nicky said.

That’s the first time that Best saw Nicky jealous.

“Nicky, what are you talking about?” Toptap asks.

“You gave Best a tulip and tulip means declaration of love.” Nicky said.

“That is one of the meaning of tulip. It is also symbolizes fame and perfect love.” Toptap said. “I just wish Best fame and perfect love.”

Nicky became calm. “Is that so?” Nicky asks.

Best removes Nicky’s hand from her arm.

“What’s wrong with you? Suddenly pulling me and acting jealous when you already chose P’Vill against me.” Best said.

“Best, that’s not-”

“Shut up! I don’t want to see you!” Best said and pulls Toptap away.

……………………………………………………

Nicky felt sad and stay in his room for the rest of the day. Mouse saw him when he just came back to get something.

“Hey.” Mouse said.

“Hey.” Nicky said but his is so down.

“What’s wrong?” Mouse asks.

“Best hates me.” Nicky said.

“She hates you from the start.” Mouse said.

“But we’re ok now and then suddenly she changed.” Nicky said.

“She changed after you chose P’Vill from her.” Mouse said.

“But I didn’t chose P’Vill.” Nicky said. Then, he remembers that incident.

“Bro, all you need to do is win her heart again.” Mouse said.

“How?” Nicky asks.

“Seriously, what did you and P’Vill did these past few months?” Mouse asks and left.

“Oh, right!” Nicky said.

……………………………………………………

The next morning…

It is still early but Nicky is already waiting outside Vill’s condo unit.

When the door opens, he was shocked to see Toomtam there.

“Eh? Prof. Toomtam?” Nicky asks.

Toomtam is wearing pajamas.

“Get in.” Toomtam said.

Nicky gets in and saw Vill wearing the same pajamas as Toomtam but it is only pink.

“Couple pj’s?” Nicky asks.

“Nicky, please don’t tell anyone but I and Prof.- I mean Toomtam are married.” Vill said.

“EH?!!!” Nicky reacted.

“We’ve been married since last year.” Toomtam said.

“And why are you hiding it?” Nicky asks.

“Vill wanted to hide it.” Toomtam said.

“But when I always spend the nights here, where were you Prof. Toomtam?” Nicky asks.

“In my condo unit next to this. They are connected in Vill’s room.” Toomtam said.

“Anyway, why are you here so early?” Vill asks.

“I need your help to get back my Best.” Nicky said.

……………………………………………………

It is the last day of the anniversary and the parents of the students are already arrived to celebrate the anniversary with their children.

Puifai’s father came but only to meet the other businessmen.

Best’s mother is also there and Best is thankful because she has the moment to forget about Nicky.

Best introduced her mother to Gypsy and others.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, ma’am.” Gypsy said.

“Just call me Aunt Tong. Best’s friends call me that. I’m glad that you are no longer enemies.” Tong said.

Gypsy smiled.

“Please, enjoy the day.” Gypsy said and left.

“I’m glad that you are only friends with them not with Natthapat.” Tong said to Best.

“There’s no way that we become friends.” Best said. “Ma, would you like to check out the Art Gallery?”

“Sure.” Tong said. “But I need to go to the restroom first. You go ahead and I’ll meet you there.”

“Ok.” Best said.

……………………………………………………

But Tong didn’t went to the restroom, instead, she went to see Noom.

“What do you want? If Best sees us, she will get suspicious.” Tong said.

“Did you know that someone is investigating us?” Noom asks.

“Investigating? Why?” Tong asks.

“I don’t know.” Noom said.

“Do you know who?” Tong asks.

“Not yet but I have some people working on it.” Noom said.

Meanwhile, Mouse is listening to them but quickly left before they even notice him.

……………………………………………………

The night of the last day of the anniversary, everyone will gather around the Red Fountain and floats the candles on the fountain. The lights are off and the only lights will be the candles. They will sing the song of the Red Fountain Academy.

While singing, Vill and Toptap pull Best away.

“What’s going on? What if we get caught?” Best asks.

“Don’t worry. Prof. Toomtam knows this.” Vill said.

“Where are we really going?” Best asks.

“Just follow us.” Toptap said.

They went to Green Fountain Paradise.

“Hey. If Prof. Anne knew this, we will be punished!” Best said.

“She knows this, too.” Vill said.

Vill opens the gate and pushed Best inside before closing the gate.

“Let me out!” Best said.

“Just go inside. We will stay here.” Vill said.

Best thinks that Vill and Toptap will not open the gate even she shouts at them so she decided to get inside the garden.

There are scented candles that lighting her path towards the center of the garden. When she reach the center, she gasped of what she saw.

Paintings of her are everywhere.

One by one, Best walks towards them to look at them closely.

“Do you like it?” Nicky asks from the corner of the garden.

“Yes, I love it. Did you made them?” Best asks.

“Yes. Every night, I spent the night in P’Vill’s condo unit with the help of Bee and Gun.” Nicky said.

“But why?” Best asks.

“I want to show to you my feelings. That you’re the only one that I love.” Nicky said.

With that, Best runs towards him and hugs him.

“Don’t you ever ignore me just because you’re trying to surprise me. You don’t know how I felt hurt when I thought you chose P’Vill over me.” Best said.

Nicky hugs her.

“You know that you’re the only girl that I love. Even though you ignore me, I will stick with you like a fly paper.” Nicky said.

Best laughed a little.

Nicky looks at Best in her eyes.

“I love you.” Nicky said.

“I love you, too.” Best said.

……………………………………………………

After that, the four went back to join the others. They didn’t even noticed that the four were gone.

They watch the fireworks display while Nicky and Best holding each other hands.

Esther saw it and secretly took a picture. Later, she will ask her best friend about it.

……………………………………………………

Monday…

They don’t have school because of their 2 days off. Mouse invited Puifai and Best in their house.

“What is she doing here?” Best asks when she arrived and saw Puifai there.

“I’m out.” Puifai said and get ready to leave.

“Stay.” Mouse said. “I called you here because you need to know the truth.”

“What truth? Is this about our parents?” Puifai asks. “Yah! I told you to stop!”

“Don’t yell at me!” Best shouts.

“Cut it out!” Mouse said.

The two shut up.

“I should only supposed to tell this to Best but I thought that Puifai deserves to know too.” Mouse said.

Best and Puifai sat on the sofa.

“First of all, Puifai’s mom’s car accident wasn’t a car accident at all.” Mouse started.

Puifai gasped.

“I don’t have a proof but I am working on it. I am planning to talk to the family of the truck driver once I managed to get the address.” Mouse said.

“I have the address.” Puifai said. “What else do you know?”

“I know that your parents are not actually dead.” Mouse said.

“What do you mean? My dad died in the jail.” Best said.

“And my mother died in the car accident.” Puifai said.

“What if they survived? And they were just abducted by someone?” Mouse said.

“Are you serious? If they were abducted, then my dad must have known this.” Puifai said.

“Your father and her mother are hiding something from you. They also knew that someone is investigating and they are trying to find out who it is. So I am stopping the investigation for the meantime so I won’t get caught. And if you don’t believe me, talk to the caretaker of the cemetery where your parents buried. They will prove to you that your parents are alive.” Mouse said. “You two were best friends. It is time for you two to work together to know what really happened.”

Best and Puifai look at each other.

……………………………………………………

After talking to Mouse, Best and Puifai went to a park.

“Do you know that your mother and my dad had an affair? That’s what my mom said.” Best said.

“My mother used to tell me that she fell in love to a guy before she marries my dad but she never told me who it was. Maybe she is talking about Uncle Ri.” Puifai said. “If Mouse is telling the truth, there’s a chance that mother is still alive.”

“And also my dad.” Best said. “Maybe that’s the reason why my mom never visit my dad in the cemetery even once.”

“Same goes with my dad.” Puifai said. “Why don’t we investigate in our own houses? Maybe we get a clue.”

“You’re right. I’ll take this chance that we don’t have classes.” Best said.

“Me too.” Puifai said.

“I’d better go back home.” Best said.

“Me too.” Puifai said. “Do you want me to drive you to your house? I brought my car.”

“No thanks.” Best said.

Best is about to walk away when Puifai called her again.

“Yes?” Best asks.

“If Gypsy and Esther can be friends, I hope we can, too.” Puifai said.

“Let’s see about that.” Best said and left.

……………………………………………………

Paula got home very late. She is now walking pass the living room when she saw Noom enters the secret door in the living room. The secret door that remains to be locked for years. Paula thought that no one enters it but what is her dad doing there. Out of curiosity, she followed him.

Behind the secret door is a corridor that has stairs that is going down. It is too dark but Paula still go down. Paula thinks that she’s already under the mansion.

At the end of the stairs, a door is slightly open. Paula take a peek and her eyes widened when she saw two familiar person inside.

Uncle Ri? Mom?’ she thought.

“How are the two of you here?” Noom asks.

“Noom, please let us go. You’ve been hiding us here for years.” Paula’s mom said.

Name: Alicia Ann Laisuthruklai

Description: The Mother of 3

“You will stay here until you die. I want the two of you to suffer to the rest of your lives.” Noom said. “You will never see your two precious daughters again, Puri.”

Paula decided to go back before her dad sees her. She went straight to her room.

“What is he talking about? Uncle Ri has two daughters? Who’s the other one?” Paula asks.