Chapter 5 - The Swimmer & The Comedian

Red Fountain Academy Series

After the opening ceremony, all the students are now busy in their club booths and one of them is the Swimming Club’s Booth.

“Everyone, if you want to be a swimming champion, join our club! We have the best swimmers in Thailand.” Nicky is doing all his might to get new members of the club.

“Oi! Nicky, no need to tire yourself. Swimming Club is exempted to the rules of 6 and up members. Clubs about sports are exempted.” Puifai said.

“I can’t believe the president of the Swimming Club is being lazy again. And so if Nicky wants to recruit new members? Ah! You’re not being lazy, you are scared that a new student might beat you.” Best said.

“Beat me or you? Even Nicky who wasn’t interested in swimming beat you, right? So, I am sure a new student can easily beat you.” Puifai said.

“If you are that great, why are you always fail to make it in the competition?” Best asks.

“Hey! Stop it! New students are looking at you.” Victor said.

Puifai left.

“Nicky, you’re in-charge here.” Victor said before following Puifai.

“Ok, I’m the Officer-in-Charge.” Nicky said.

Bifern rolled her eyes.

In just few seconds, a guy came in a rush.

“Oh my gee… Here comes the idiot friend.” Bifern whispered.

“Nicky! Nicky! I saw a dragon at the lake.” The guy said.

Name: Jirakit Kuariyakul aka Toptap

Description: Idiot Friend

“Really? Let’s catch it!” Nicky excitedly said.

The two left.

“Hey, Nachat! You’re supposed to be in charge here!” Bifern shouts.

“Too late.” Best said.

Bifern looks at her.

“Bring him and his idiot friend back here.” Bifern said.

“Eh? Why me? And who are you to ordering me around?” Best said.

“He is your boyfriend.” Bifern said.

“He isn’t!” Best said.

“You’re just being lazy here so it is best for you to get them.” Bifern said.

“What about you?” Best asks.

“I’m in charge.” Bifern said.

Best sighed before running after the two.

……………………………………………………

Best followed Nicky and Toptap until they reach the lake.

“Where’s the dragon?” Nicky asks.

“Ssshhh! Not so loud.” Toptap said.

The two went to the place where the grass is long.

Best is just watching them from a far. She is sure that the dragon that Toptap talking about is just a dragonfly.

After a while, Nicky and Toptap run to her with smile on their faces.

Best suddenly felt that she is a mom of two kids.

“Best, we found a dragon.” Nicky excitedly said.

He shows her a dragonfly.

“That’s a dragonfly.” Best said.

“Right. It is a dragon that flies.” Nicky said.

“Uhmmm… great… Can we go back now?” Best asks.

“But we need to find his mommy.” Toptap said.

“Mommy?” Best asks.

“This is just a baby.” Nicky said.

“O…Ok…” Best said.

“Willy you help us find the mommy?” Nicky asks.

“Eh?” Best said.

“Please… Please… Please…” Nicky said.

“Ok…” Best said.

Best is supposed to be annoyed but she can’t understand why she is following Nicky.

“Alright!” Nicky and Toptap said.

Nicky holds Best’s hand and they walk.

Nicky has been following Best ever since they started attending the academy. They weren’t classmate that time but Nicky can always be seen looking at Best’s class every break time. At first, Best doesn’t like it but since Nicky is nice she started hanging out with him.

……………………………………………………

Esther is walking back to the booth when she saw Best with Nicky and Toptap.

“Hi, Best!” she greets.

“Hi, Esther. What are you doing here?” Best asks.

“I’m on my way back to the booth. What about you? Why are you with the weirdo?” Esther asks.

“We are dragon hunting. Nicky and Toptap are looking for the mama dragon.” Best said.

“Seriously? And you are with them?” Esther asks.

“I’d rather hang out with them than fight with Natthapat.” Best said.

“Good luck with your dragon hunting. I’d better go back to the booth. I’ve been gone for so long. Bee might gonna kill me.” Esther said.

“You better work hard. I heard that the club must have at least 6 members except for the sports club.” Best said. “It is President Tao’s order.”

“So, it is true that it wasn’t Thorn’s plan to get revenge to me.” Esther said.

“You’re thinking ridiculously. You should go back now. The sun will set soon.” Best said.

“Ok. Bye! See you later.” Esther said.

“Bye!” Best said.

……………………………………………………

“Mommy dragon! Mommy dragon!” Nicky and Toptap are shouting while walking around the academy.

The new students are looking at them.

Best is just following them from a far because she is getting embarrass because of the two.

Nicky walks back and pull Best. “Best, call the mommy dragon, too.” Nicky said.

“No! No! No! You can do it.” Best said.

“Please… Please… Please…” Nicky said.

“Oh, alright!” Best said. “Mommy dragon!”

Nicky smiled.

What am I doing? Why am I with this idiots?’ she thought but even though she thinks that way, she can’t help but to join them.

“You know what? I think mommy dragon is hiding right now. Shall we have a snack first, then we can continue finding her?” Best asks.

“Ok!” Nicky and Toptap said.

“Great!” Best said.

……………………………………………………

High School Town’s Cafeteria…

“This is the money. Buy anything you want and I’ll be here.” Best said.

“Ok. Take care of the baby dragon.” Nicky said.

Nicky and Toptap left.

As soon as the two left, Best opened the jar where the dragonfly is.

“You can go now, little dragonfly. I’m sorry for what my friends did. You are free now.” Best said.

The dragonfly fly away.

After a while, Nicky and Toptap came back with lots of snacks.

“I bought snacks for the baby dragon.” Nicky said.

Toptap looks at jar. “Eh? Where’s the baby dragon?” Toptap asks.

The two look at Best.

“Well, the mommy dragon came while you are buying the snacks. She took the baby dragon and left.” Best said.

“Oh? I didn’t see her.” Toptap sadly said.

“But the mommy dragon is very thankful because you take care of her baby.” Best said. “She hopes that she will see you someday but today they need to go to Netherland.”

“Netherland? I hope they send me a postcard.” Toptap said.

“Me too.” Nicky said.

“I hope they will. Shall we eat?” Best said.

“Yes!” the two said.

……………………………………………………

It is already sunset when Best, Nicky and Toptap finished their snacks.

“Thanks for the treat, Best.” Toptap said. “I’m going back to the dorm now.”

“You’re welcome.” Best said.

“Nicky, bye-bye!” Toptap said.

“Bye-bye!” Nicky said.

Toptap left.

“Thank you.” Nicky said.

“For what?” Best asks.

“For riding our trip. I know that you are thinking that we are fools.” Nicky said.

“You’re right but I had fun.” Best said.

“Toptap is my only close friend and I am only his close friend. Toptap always uses his imagination so I always there to believe him.” Nicky said.

“You two are nice. I always have fun when I am with you.” Best said.

“Really?” Nicky asks.

“Yeah. If ever you have another adventure, just call me.” Best said.

“Ok. I will.” Nicky said.

“I’d better go back to the dorm.” Best said.

“Me too.” Nicky said.

……………………………………………………

Best went back to the dormitory. When she enters their room, Fern is already there.

“Esther still not here?” Best asks.

“I think they went to the noodle restaurant.” Fern said. “I walk passed your booth a while ago and I didn’t see you there and also Natthapat.”

“I don’t know where she went. I followed Nicky and Toptap to their adventure and we didn’t go back to the booth.” Best said.

“It seems that you are starting to like Nicky to the point that you are going with their adventures now.” Fern said.

“I am not! Nicky is nice and he doesn’t let me be alone. I am just being thankful to him by riding their trip.” Best said.

Fern smiled.

“Hey! I know you don’t believe me.” Best said. “Anyway, let’s just eat, ok?”

“Are we not going to wait for the others?” Fern asks.

“Knowing them, they are probably full.” Best said.

“Then, I’ll call Apple so she can join us.” Fern said.

“Ok.” Best said.

……………………………………………………

Nicky went back to the dormitory. New and Mouse are already in the room.

“How’s your adventure today? And it looks like you got a new member.” New said.

“What do you mean?” Nicky asks.

“Best.” New said. “I saw you three from the booth.”

“Ah… Isn’t it great? Best is starting to like what I like.” Nicky said.

“I don’t think so. She looks like a baby-sitter.” New said and laughed.

“Laugh all you want.” Nicky said and opens the drawer. He saw Best’s wallet there.

“Oh! I forgot to return her wallet.” Nicky said and take the wallet. “I’ll bring it back to her.”

Nicky left the room.

“Always making a reason to see her? Luckily, I am not like him, right Mouse?” New said and looks at Mouse but Mouse is already sleeping on his bed with an open book covering his face.

……………………………………………………

Best, Apple and Fern are going to the dining room when they heard Aom’s voice.

You can’t just go to the rooms without my permission! I am the Pink Fountain Dormitory Keeper!

I know but I need to see Best.

Best is familiar with that voice. She went to the entrance of the dormitory and just as she thought it is Nicky.

“Nicky?” Best said.

Nicky saw her and shoved Aom away before running to Best.

“Nicky, what are you doing here?” Best asks.

“I forgot to give this to you. Someone found this outside the noodle restaurant yesterday.” Nicky said.

“My wallet! Oh! Thank you so much, Nicky!” Best said while kissing her wallet.

Can I be the wallet?’ Nicky’s thought.

“In return, shall we have lunch date tomorrow?” Best asks.

“Yeah! Of course!” Nicky quickly said.

“Ok.” Best said.

“Bye.” Nicky said.

“Bye.” Best said.

Nicky left.

“Nitcharee, please control your boyfriend. If he push me again while inside the Pink Fountain Dormitory, I will blame it to you.” Aom said and left.

“Geez! Blaming me to someone’s fault. If I know she is targeting us because she is Natthapat’s friend.” Best said.

……………………………………………………

Bangkok, Thailand…

Paula is waiting outside the gym for Mos. Mos is 15 minutes late when he arrived.

“You’re late.” Paula said when she got in the car.

“Sorry. The meeting ended late.” Mos said.

“We should just go to a restaurant to eat dinner. I am starving.” Paula said.

“Ok, if you say so, sis.” Mos said.

They went to an Italian restaurant.

“Table for 2 please.” Mos said to the waiter.

“This way, sir, ma’am.” The waiter said.

The waiter leads them to an empty table.

The waiter left them for a while, while they are checking the menu.

“Mos, what would you-” Paula was about to ask her brother when a waiter accidentally pushed by a child that is running around and the food he was carrying fell on Paula’s dress.

Paula screamed that attract all the attention of the other customers.

“I am so sorry, ma’am.” The waitress apologetic said.

“Where is the manager? I want to talk to the manager, right now!” Paula’s face is red because of anger.

A woman came in a rush.

“I am the owner. What happened?” the woman asks that turned out to be Tong, Best’s mother.

Paula and Mos recognize her.

“No wonder that the service of this restaurant is poor. The owner is you.” Paula said.

“Ms. Wipatkornthrakul, what happened to you is an accident. I don’t see any reason to blame my ownership because of what happened to you.” Tong said. “And haven’t you forgotten what your father did to my family?”

“Our father did nothing wrong, Mrs. Kinviriyatanachite. You knew very well that it was your husband who needs to blame why he put in jail.” Paula said.

“Your father stole everything from us except this restaurant.” Tong said.

“He just got back what he owned.” Paula said. “You can’t accept the truth because you also fooled by your husband.”

“Enough! I don’t want to see your faces again here in my restaurant!” Tong said.

“And we don’t want to eat to your restaurant that has poor service.” Paula said.

Paula and Mos left the restaurant.

“You shouldn’t do that.” Mos said when they finally get in the car.

“Are you trying to say that it was my fault?” Paula asks.

“It was your fault.” Mos said.

“She was at fault. Until now she is still can’t get over with what happened years ago. Still trying to believe the lies. Doesn’t she know that we don’t like what happened years ago? Because of that incident, mom died.” Paula said.

Mos sighed.

“We should not tell this to father. He is not younger anymore. I don’t want him to get worry again.” Mos said.

“I won’t besides until now he is concerned with Puifai’s problem I don’t want to add this to his burden.” Paula said.

“You’re right.” Mos said.

……………………………………………………

Best is dipping her feet in the swimming pool at the dormitory when her mother called.

Can you believe that they have the guts to eat in my restaurant and cause trouble?” Tong said.

“Ma, I am sure they don’t have any idea that it was your restaurant. Why will they do that?” Best said.

They want to ruin our only business.” Tong said.

“I don’t think so. We’ve been living peacefully without making contact them. Well, except for me and Natthapat, but they already got what they want years ago. There’s no reason for them to ruin your business.” Best said.

No! I am sure that they are trying to ruin us! I am sure they are blaming your father for the death of their mother.” Tong said.

“And why did you say that? Do you know the reason of the death of Natthapat’s mother?” Best asks.

Ha? Did I say something like that? No! I don’t know! I think I should rest now. Bye, sweetie.” Tong said and ends the call.

Best is wondering why would her mother said those words.

……………………………………………………

Best is going back to her room when she saw Puifai. She is planning to walk pass her but she decided to ask her a question.

“How did your mother died?” Best asks.

“What?” Puifai is surprised with her sudden question.

“Never mind.” Best said and was about to walk again when Puifai talks.

“Car accident.” Puifai said. “Father said that mother is rushing to get me when I was young when her car was hit by a truck.”

“I see…” Best said and suddenly feels apologetic.

“Why do you asks?” Puifai asks.

“Nothing.” Best said and left.

Puifai left wonders.

……………………………………………………

The young Best is in her room when she heard her parents shouting.

“You had an affair? When?” Tong asks her husband.

“I’m sorry. It was before we got married. She was already married to my best friend.”

“How dare you? Do you know what this means? You are going to ruin two families!”

“I’m so sorry. I want to make things right. Promise, everything will be alright.”

The young Best saw her parents hugging each other. At her age, she doesn’t know what her parents are talking about.

Best woke up from her dream.

“Another past memory.” She whispered. She looks around and noticed that it is still dark outside. Fern and Esther are still sleeping.

She checks the clock and it is only 4:00 in the morning. It will be hard for her to sleep again so she went to the balcony. Then, she saw Puifai on the balcony of Puifai, Gypsy and Alice’s room. It seems that Puifai is thinking deeply that she didn’t notice her.

Best tries to recall her dream. She was only 5 years old when her father died. She doesn’t have much memory of it but her mother keeps on telling her that Puifai’s family is the reason why her father died.

“Papa had an affair?” she said. She never remembers that her mother told her that. If her father had an affair, who? In her dream, the woman was already married to her father’s best friend!