Chapter 8 - The Swimmer & The Comedian

Red Fountain Academy Series

Best is bother by her dreams. Lately, she is dreaming about her childhood but she can’t remember that it happened in her past.

Even in her practice, she is distracted. Just like today, she is swimming when she didn’t notice that she is already at the end of the pool and hit the tiles with her hand. Because of shock, she almost got drown, luckily a pair of arms grab her out of the pool.

“Best, are you alright?” it was Nicky.

Best is coughing due of the water she accidentally drunk.

“Nicky?” she asks. “What are you doing here? The practice is already ended.”

“That’s what I want to ask you. I just finished my shower and I was about to leave when I saw you. Why are you still practicing?” Nicky said.

“For the competition. I know that our hard training will start after the camping but I am practicing now so if ever I am the one that will compete and not Natthapat, I will not disappoint our school.” Best said.

“But you look distracted. If I am not here, you are already got drowned.” Nicky said.

Best sighed. “Lately, I am kinda distracted because of my dreams. I don’t know why but I feel like there is something in the past that I had forgotten.”

“Like?” Nicky asks.

“Like the day when my dad arrested by the police. I was young back then. In my dream, I was playing with-” Best can’t say the name of her playmate.

“Puifai.” Nicky said.

Best looks at Nicky with surprise.

“I saw a picture of you and her in your wallet. You were just kids in the picture.” Nicky said. “You and Puifai are enemies but seeing the picture made me wonder why you two became enemies. I didn’t ask you after I saw the picture because I am waiting for the right moment that you will tell it to me without asking you.”

Best stares at the water in the pool.

“Natthapat and I were childhood friends. I was the one who gave her the nickname Puifai. My dad and her parents were best friends since high school. My dad and her dad had a business. I don’t know what happened but one day when Natthapat and I are playing in our garden with my dad, the police came and arrested my father. My father died because of an illness while he was in the jail. My mom sell the house and we move to a smaller house. I never saw Natthapat after that. I grew up knowing that it was Natthapat’s dad’s fault why my dad died. So, when I saw Natthapat here, I got mad at her and that’s when we started to become enemies.” Best said.

Nicky is quietly listening to her.

“But there is something bothers me. The last time I was talking to my mom, she said that Natthapat’s family is blaming us for the death of Natthapat’s mom.” Best said.

“The death of Puifai’s mom?” Nicky asks.

“I asked Natthapat how her mom died and she said that it was a car accident. Her mom was rushing to get her when a truck hit the car.” Best said.

“Uhmm… Why did your dad got arrested?” Nicky asks.

“For stealing the money. Mom said that dad was innocent that it was Natthapat’s dad plan so he can get the business to himself.” Best said.

“If you know the truth, will you be ok and not to get distracted again?” Nicky asks.

“I think so. Why?” Best asks.

“I will help you to know the truth. And it might be the way so you and Puifai will be back as friends.” Nicky said.

“Me and Natthapat as friends? I don’t think so.” Best said.

“There’s nothing wrong to expect, right?” Nicky asks.

“I will let you help me so I will know the truth but not because of Natthapat, ok?” Best said.

“Ok.” Nicky said. “You should take a shower now and we both go back to the dormitories.”

“Ok.” Best said.

……………………………………………………

At the front of Pink Fountain Dormitory…

“Thanks for listening to my story.” Best said to Nicky.

“Spending time with you even just in a minute makes me happy and now that you opened up to me makes me really really really happy. I don’t think I can sleep tonight.” Nicky said.

Best laugh a little.

“Thanks again, Nicky. Good night.” Best said.

“Good night, my love.” Nicky said and get inside the Blue Fountain Dormitory where Mike is waiting.

Best get inside the Pink Fountain Dormitory where Aom is waiting.

“You almost missed the curfew.” Aom said.

“I’m glad I didn’t.” Best said and went upstairs.

……………………………………………………

Blue Fountain Dormitory…

“Nicky, you almost missed your curfew.” Mike said.

“Right now, I don’t care about curfew. I am so happy right now because I spend some time with my love.” Nicky said.

“By finding dragons or unicorns?” Mike asks.

“No. She talked about what bothers her.” Nicky said.

“Oh really?” Mike doesn’t believe Nicky.

“Mike, do you know someone who is expert in investigating the background of a family?” Nicky asks.

“Why?” Mike asks.

“Best needs a help to know what happened to her past and I want to help her.” Nicky said.

“I know someone.” Mike said.

“Really? Who?” Nicky asks.

“Your bro.” Mike said.

……………………………………………………

Best went to their room where Fern and Esther are still awake.

“Best, where have you been? You missed the dinner.” Esther said.

“I stayed in the pool.” Best said.

“I brought you your dinner. Too much practice isn’t good. You need to eat too.” Fern said while giving her dinner.

“Thanks.” Best said but she is just staring at the food.

“Is there something wrong? Did Natthapat did something wrong?” Esther asks.

“No. I was just worried about something.” Best said.

“What is it?” Esther asks.

“It’s ok. You don’t need to know.” Best said. Right now, she doesn’t want her friends to know her past especially about her and Natthapat being friends.

……………………………………………………

New and Mouse are doing their homework when Nicky came in loudly.

“Nicky, will you please shut up?!” New said.

Nicky ignores him and went to Mouse.

“Mouse. Mouse. Mouse.” Nicky said.

Mouse ignores him.

“You didn’t tell me that you’re Red Fountain Academy’s Sherlock Holmes.” Nicky said. “Will you help me?”

“No.” Mouse said still not looking his twin brother.

“Please…” Nicky is begging. “If you help me, I will not bother you again while you are reading or studying or thinking or looking outside the window or even when you are taking a dump.”

Mouse look at Nicky which is a rare moment. “Deal.” Mouse said.

“Alright!” Nicky said.

“What do you want me to investigate?” Mouse asks.

“Best’s past.” Nicky said.

New heard it and looks at Nicky but he didn’t dare to ask him why he wants to know Best’s past.

……………………………………………………

Bangkok, Thailand…

Tong is busy in her restaurant when her assistant informed her that 4 businessmen reserved a table for a business meeting.

At exactly 7:00 in the evening, the businessmen arrived. Tong is the one who greet them.

“Good evening.” Tong greets.

“Tong?” it was Noom.

“Noom?” Tong asks.

Tong doesn’t know what to do. She wants to let him out but it will just cause a scene to her restaurant. In the end, she let him stay but she never try to get close to his table.

The meeting ended after an hour, Noom’s business partners are already left but Noom stayed so he can talk to Tong.

Tong bring him to her office.

“What do you want talk about?” Tong asks. “As far as I know, you already took everything from us.”

“I’m glad your restaurant is doing well.” Noom said.

“This is the only thing that’s left. If you try to take it away from me, I don’t know what I will do.” Tong said.

“I am not here to take it away from you. I want to know how your daughter is doing.” Noom said.

Tong looks at her with shocked.

……………………………………………………

After closing the restaurant, Tong went home and while she is in her house, she feels worried about her meeting with Noom.

“Best mustn’t know about it. I’d spent years hiding it and there’s no way I will let Best know it.” Tong said.

Tong and the five-year-old Best went home from the market.

“Best, go to your room and play. Mommy will just cook our lunch, ok?” she said.

“Yes, mommy.” Best said and went to her room.

Tong is looking at the mails that arrived and a mail caught her attention. It came from her husband’s friend.

Out of curiosity she reads the letter.

“My dearest Ri,

I don’t know what I am going to do. Noom is starting to get suspicious of Puifai’s real father. I am planning to leave with Puifai but I need your help. I don’t want you to come with us because your family needs you.

Please call me once you received this letter.

Alicia”

“Noom is not Puifai’s father? Then…” Tong said to herself.

Tong wait for her husband to go home. It is already late when her husband got home.

“Ri, we need to talk.” Tong said.

“Sure. What is it?” her husband said.

Name: Puri Kinviriyatanchite aka Ri

Description: The Father of 2

She gave the letter to him.

“Noom isn’t Puifai’s father, then who?” Tong asks.

“Tong… I’m sorry.” Ri said.

Tong is trying to calm herself.

“You had an affair? When?” Tong asks.

“I’m sorry. It was before we got married. She was already married to my best friend.” Ri said.

“How dare you? Do you know what this means? You are going to ruin two families!” Tong said.

“I’m so sorry. I want to make things right. Promise, everything will be alright.” Ri said.

Ri hugs Tong.

“You must make things right. If Noom found out about Puifai’s real father, everything will gone.” Tong said.

“I know.” Ri said.

“Alicia wants to leave Noom with Puifai. What are you going to do?” Tong asks.

“I will help her but I will never leave you.” Ri said.

“But you never kept your promise, Ri.” Tong said after remembering the past. “You left with Alicia that’s why you both died. You deserve to die for betraying me and Best.”

Tong opens the vault in her room and inside the vault, there’s a video camera. She puts a box inside the vault that she got from Noom before closing the vault and hang the picture frame of her and Best.

……………………………………………………

Red Fountain Academy…

Puifai is going to the cafeteria and while walking she is looking something in her wallet and she didn’t notice that Mouse is coming. The two bumped into each other.

Puifai’s wallet fell on the ground.

Puifai pick up the wallet and a picture fell from it.

Mouse pick up the picture and look at it.

“You and Nitcharee were friends, right?” Mouse asks.

Puifai take the picture from Mouse.

“How did you know that it was Nitcharee in the picture?” Puifai asks.

“Why did you two become enemies?” Mouse asks ignoring Puifai’s question.

“For a loner like you, I wonder why you are suddenly got interested in someone’s life. As far as know, it was Nicky who likes her not you.” Puifai said.

Mouse smirked. “It doesn’t matter whether you answer me or not. But because of that picture, my suspicion is right.” Mouse said and left.

Puifai left dumbfounded.

……………………………………………………

Best is watching Nicky and Toptap looking for some ‘unicorns’ at the Anne’s Park when Puifai came.

“Nitcharee, I don’t know what you up to but don’t try to dig up the past. What happened to the past is already in the past and I don’t want to remember it.” Puifai said.

“Why is it because of what your family did to my family? Do you feel guilty now?” Best asks.

“My dad claimed what rightfully his.” Puifai said.

“By letting my dad to die in the jail?” Best asks.

“Your dad died because he is sick. Don’t blame my father as if he killed him.” Puifai said.

“He killed him not with his own hands but letting him die in the jail.” Best said.

“Talking with you is nonsense. But if something bad happened because of what you are doing right now, I will not let you get away with it.” Puifai said and left.

Then, Nicky and Toptap came.

“Nicky, does Natthapat knew that we are trying to know what happened to my past?” Best asks.

“I don’t think so. I never talk to her.” Nicky said.

Then, why Puifai knew that she is trying to know the past?

……………………………………………………

Friday night…

Best is talking to her mom that night. She is alone in the room because Esther and Fern went back to Bangkok for the weekend.

“I’m not going home this weekend. I want to prepare myself for the hard training.” Best said.

It is fine with me but if Natthapat is there, better avoid her.

“She’s isn’t here. In fact, she didn’t attend the class the whole day. The professors didn’t even ask us about her.” Best said.

Ok. That’s nice. At least you can concentrate with your training.

“It’s getting late now. You should sleep now. I know how tired for you managing the restaurant.” Best said.

Ok. Good night.

“Good night.” Best said.

After the conversation with her mom, Best get ready to sleep.

……………………………………………………

Saturday morning…

Nicky and Mouse are in the dormitory while some of their friends went back to their houses.

“Mouse, I’m going to the swimming pool, wanna come?” Nicky asks.

Mouse ignores him. He is busy reading a book.

Nicky sighed.

“Sometimes, I am thinking whether you can still hear us or you’re just intentionally ignoring us.” Nicky said.

Mouse didn’t response.

“Fine.” Nicky finally give up and leaves the room.

He is now in the lobby of the dormitory when he saw New, Neen and Som.

“Oh? Are you going somewhere?” Nicky asks.

“We’re going to Chiang Mai. Is Mouse ready?” New asks.

“Mouse? He’s going with you?” Nicky asks.

The three nodded.

Just then, Mouse came.

“Let’s go?” Mouse asks.

“Yeah.” New said.

“Wait! Mouse, why didn’t you tell me that you’re going to Chiang Mai? What are you going to do there?” Nicky asks.

“Neen invited me.” Mouse said. “I didn’t tell you because you might come.”

“Eh? But I am your brother, not just brother, we’re twin brothers. We’ve never been in an out of town trip.” Nicky said.

“You can come with us. It is still early.” New said.

“Can we bring Best?” Nicky asks.

“What?!” Som reacted.

“We will be busy with our training after the camping and I want her to relax before the training starts.” Nicky said.

“Som, please…” Neen begs.

“Fine. But don’t let her get into my nerves.” Som said.

“Ok! I’ll call her.” Nicky said.

……………………………………………………

Best just woke up when Nicky calls.

“Nicky, isn’t it too early to annoy me?” she said.

My friends and I are going to Chiang Mai.

“Toptap and you?”

Toptap isn’t here. He left last night.

“Then, wake up. You don’t have any friends beside Toptap.”

No. I am serious. I am with Mouse. Come on. Come with us. Let’s have fun before the training starts.

“Ok, fine.” Best said. “Wait for me. I’ll just get ready.”

Ok.

……………………………………………………

“Nicky, you didn’t told me that your friends include Marie Eugenie LeLay.” Best said when she went to the Blue Fountain Dormitory.

“I’m sorry. If I told you that Som is with us, you will not come.” Nicky said. “At least Neen is here.”

“I’m out.” Best said.

“Will you come if I promise that I will not fight with you?” Som asks.

“What?” Best asks.

“I will not fight with you. After all, it is Puifai who is your enemy. And besides, you’re Neen’s friend.” Som said.

Best think for a moment.

“Best, please…” Neen said.

“Ok, fine.” Best said.

Nicky and Neen feel happy.