Chapter 20 - The Swimmer & The Comedian

Red Fountain Academy Series

Best visits her mother in the jail.

“Best, my daughter, are you here to release me?” Tong asks.

“Mom…” Best said.

“Where’s your father? Isn’t he going to visit me? I miss him so much.” Tong said. It seems that Tong is starting to get crazy.

“Mom, I’m sorry.” Best said.

“Why? Did Natthapat hurt you?” Tong asks.

“Mom, I promise everything will be alright.” Best said. “I need to go now. Always remember that I love you.”

……………………………………………………

Puifai is waiting outside her car for Best who visited her mother in the jail.

It didn’t took long and Best came out.

“That’s quick.” Puifai said.

Best didn’t answer her and get inside the car.

Puifai get inside the car, too.

“What’s wrong?” Puifai asks and didn’t start the engine of the car.

“I think mom is going crazy.” Best said. “I feel like it was my fault. If I didn’t brought the evidence to the police.”

“But we wouldn’t save our parents if you didn’t.” Puifai said.

Best didn’t answer her.

“Let’s get you back home.” Puifai said and starts the engine of the car.

……………………………………………………

Puifai and Best arrived at Best’s house.

Ri is waiting for them.

“Dad, what’s that smell? Smells like burning.” Puifai asks.

“I tried to cook but I failed so I ordered pizza.” Ri said. “You should join us for dinner, Puifai.”

“Sure.” Puifai said.

“I’ll pass.” Best said. “I’m tired and I just want to sleep.”

Best went to her room.

Ri looks at Puifai.

……………………………………………………

Best heard Puifai’s car leaving. After few minutes, her father came to her room.

“Puifai told me that you visited your mother.” Ri said.

“Are you mad?” Best asks.

“No. After all, she is still your mother.” Ri said.

Ri sat on the bed.

“You don’t want her in the jail, right?” Ri asks.

Best nodded.

“I am blaming myself why she is in the jail but if I didn’t do it, Uncle Noom’s death will never meet justice. Yes, he did a lot of bad things to all of us but he still deserves justice, right?” Best said.

“You’re right.” Ri said.

“But I am thinking that mom deserves to have another chance.” Best said.

“If I am the only one to decide, I would like to give her another chance but I am not the only one who needs to decide.” Ri said.

Best knows what her father wants to say. If she wants her mother to be free, she needs to talk to Puifai’s family.

……………………………………………………

Red Fountain Academy…

Gypsy’s and Esther’s groups are eating in the cafeteria together except Best. Best skipped the lunch and went to the library.

“Is there something wrong with Best? She quiet.” Fern said.

Everyone looks at Puifai.

“We didn’t fight.” Puifai defensively said.

“We didn’t say that.” Mild said.

“We just mean that you two are now sisters and always together so maybe you know why she is like that.” Esther said.

“Ah…” Puifai felt relieved. “Well, she started being like that after she visited her mother in the jail. She is blaming herself why her mother is in the jail.”

“It is hard for her what she is going through.” Som said.

Puifai puts her uneaten sandwich inside her bag and stands up.

“Where are you going?” Gypsy asks.

“To her. She skipped breakfast and skipping lunch. It is not good for her.” Puifai said and left.

“I feel like I am losing my role as Best’s best friend.” Esther said.

“You’re not alone.” Gypsy said.

“But we still have each other, right?” Esther asks.

“Right!” Gypsy said and smiled.

……………………………………………………

Library…

“Best, come on. You need to eat.” Nicky said.

The librarian shushed them.

“I’m busy.” Best lied.

“No, you’re not. I know that you have a problem and not eating isn’t the solution.” Nicky said.

“I am not hungry.” Best said.

“You skipped breakfast and you can’t skip the lunch.” Nicky said.

The librarian shushed them again.

“Sorry.” Best said and go out of the library.

Nicky followed her.

“What’s wrong with you?” Nicky asks.

“There’s nothing wrong.” Best said.

“Best, I know you and if you don’t tell me what’s wrong, I will jump into the river.” Nicky said.

“You don’t.” Best said.

“I can.” Nicky seriously said.

Best sighed.

“Fine. I want my mother free from jail. But in order to do that, I need to talk to Puifai’s family.” Best said.

“So, they will not continue the case against your mom?” Nicky asks.

“Yes.” Best said.

“Best…” Puifai said from their back.

Best and Nicky turned around and saw Puifai standing not too close to them.

“Puifai…” Best said.

“You want your mom to be free?” Puifai asks.

“Yes. I know it is impossible after what she did but I really can’t take it knowing my mom is having a hard time in the jail.” Best said.

“It is not only me to decide.” Puifai said.

“I know that’s why I want to talk to all of you.” Best said.

“But if it just me, I will not let your mom escape from all of her sins. I’m sorry.” Puifai said and left.

……………………………………………………

Esther and Best talk about what Best wants to her mother and what Puifai said.

“I don’t blame her. Your mother almost killed Puifai’s real parents and her son plus she also killed her father.” Esther said.

“I know but what about my mom?” Best asks.

“You can talk to them but don’t expect that you will hear the answer you want from them.” Esther said.

……………………………………………………

Saturday…

Ri and Best went to Puifai and her family’s mansion.

Best explained the reason why there here.

“Best, I think my family wants to talk about this matter in private. Please give us some time to decide.” Alicia said.

“I understand. And I know I am asking a very impossible favor but I am still hoping that you will grant my wish.” Best said.

……………………………………………………

That night, Alicia and her children had a meeting.

“If I am going to decide, I will forgive her.” Paula said.

“But what about the death of pa?” Mos asks.

“He tried to kill me. He doesn’t need a justice to his death.” Paula said.

“What about you, Puifai?” Alicia asks.

“I don’t really know. First, I want her to pay her sins after what she did. She almost killed you and my son. Second, even though pa hid you from us, he still deserves the justice. Third, Best grew up only her mother on her side and I know what it feels like to not have a mother on your side. So, I don’t know whether I will forgive her or not.” Puifai said.

“What about you, ma?” Mos asks.

Alicia deeply sighed.

……………………………………………………

Red Fountain Academy…

Bifern, Wawa and Maripha secretly start their plan.

“Natthapat always go here after the training. We just need to drop this pot of flower above her and BAM! Goodbye, National Swimming Competition.” Bifern said.

“How sure you are that this will not make as a suspect?” Wawa asks.

“Simple. We will make it an accident. See these potted plants? We will align all of them at the edge of the building so if ever they investigate the scene, they will think that it is an accident.” Bifern said.

“I love your brilliant idea.” Wawa said.

“So, when are we going to start the plan?” Maripha asks.

Bifern smiled. “Tonight.”

……………………………………………………

After the training, Best and Puifai are changing their clothes inside the locker room.

“Best, whatever the decision of my family, I hope we will still be sisters.” Puifai said.

“Of course we are.” Best said. “I am only doing this because of my mom but if ever you will still continue the case against her, I will let you do it.”

“Let just wait for the decision.” Puifai said.

……………………………………………………

Puifai, Best, Victor and Nicky are walking back to the dormitories.

Puifai’s cellphone ring so she stop for a moment and then suddenly something feel above her.

Best, Victor and Nicky heard a noise coming from the back and when they turn around, they saw Puifai on the ground bleeding with shards of pot all over her.

“Puifai!” Best screamed.

Victor look above but he didn’t see someone on the rooftop.

“Nicky, Best, bring her to the clinic.” Victor said and get inside the building but when he get on the rooftop, no sign of a person there.

……………………………………………………

Puifai woke up inside a hospital room. When she look around, Nichkhun is sleeping on the chair next to her.

“Khun…” she whispered.

Nichkhun woke up.

“Puifai? Thank goodness you’re awake. How are you? Do you feel hurt?” Nichkhun asks.

“Just my head.” Puifai said. “I thought you’re in Korea.”

“I came back as soon as I heard about you.” Nichkhun said.

“What happened?” Puifai asks.

“A potted plant accidentally fell above you.” Nichkhun said.

“Stupid of me.” Puifai said.

Just then, Best, Mos, Alicia and Ri came.

“Puifai, I’m glad you’re awake. How are you?” Alicia is worriedly sick.

“Just my head hurts a little.” Puifai said. “Where’s Joong Ki?”

“He left in the mansion with P’Paula. She cancelled her flight just to take care of him while you’re here.” Mos said.

“Ma, did you tell her?” Puifai asks.

“Not yet.” Alicia said.

“Tell her now.” Puifai said.

Alicia looks at Best.

“Best, our family decided not to continue the case against your mother.” Alicia said.

Best can’t believe of what she heard.

“Really? As in really really really?” Best asks.

“Yes.” Alicia said. “We just thought that everyone needs to have a second chance and that includes your mother.”

Best hugs Alicia.

“Thank you. Thank you so much.” Best said.

Then, Best hugs Mos and lastly Puifai.

……………………………………………………

Best’s mother released from jail but since she is sick, she needs to stay in the hospital.

Ri and Best personally take care of her.

……………………………………………………

It is finally the day for the National Swimming Competition. Puifai and Best are very nervous.

“Best, relax.” Puifai said.

“What if I failed?” Best asks.

“You can do it. You are the best.” Puifai said.

“You should be here not me.” Best said.

“Well, unlucky for me, I got hit by a falling potted plant. But I know you can do it. I didn’t nicknamed you ‘Best’ for no reason.” Puifai said.

“You gave me that nickname when we were young.” Best said.

Puifai smiled. “Just relax and remember, you are the mermaid’s sister and you can swim fast like me.”

Best took a deep breath.

“Ok. I can do it.” Best said.

“That’s the spirit.” Puifai said.

“Best, it is time.” Louis said.

“Good luck, Best.” Puifai said and left.

……………………………………………………

Everyone watch the National Swimming Competition and when it is the women’s competition now, everyone cheered to their bets but the loudest screams are from Best’s supporters.

Puifai, Mos, Joong Ki and Ri are there to support her along with their friends.

Alicia and Paula didn’t make it because Paula is already in the US with Alicia.

Best’s mother is watching from the hospital.

Everyone is nervous while watching them swim as fast as they can.

Best and the representative of Vihokratana International Academy are both great. No one wants to be second.

It is final lap and the two are still close. It is getting near and both of them reach their hands to touch the edge of the pool.

Closer…

Closer…

Closer…

END!

Best reach the end first followed by the representative of Vihokratana International Academy in just a split second.

The screams from Best’s supporters filled the area.

Best’s mother who is watching from the hospital got tears in her eyes because of happiness.

……………………………………………………

“The National Swimming Competition ended and the Red Fountain Academy got the two gold medals from women’s competition and men’s competition. Congratulations to Nitcharee Kinviriyatanachite and Victor Zheng.” Alice said while facing the camera of Every Day Life.

“Congratulations to Nitcharee Kinviriyatanachite and Victor Zheng. They really show to everyone how they really work hard for it.” Oaujun said.

“Oaujun, they are not just the only one who worked hard. We have here is their coach, Coach Louis Scott.” Alice said. “Coach Louis, what can you say that we won the competition?”

“I’m really proud of them and not only to them but to all the members of Swimming Club. Everyone really worked hard from the bloody training. Sometimes they failed but in the end they still work hard to be reach their goals.” Louis said. “And lastly… Yuan! You lost the bet! See you in the academy!”

Louis is even pointing at the camera as if it was Yuan.

“Thank you, Coach Louis.” Oaujun said. “We would like to interview our winners but since everyone is around them, maybe next time.”

“And that next time means you’ll get to see them on the next episode of the show.” Alice said. “For now, it is time to say goodbye. I’m Alice.”

“And I’m Oaujun.” Oaujun said.

“Thank you for watching Every Day Life. Bye! Bye!” Alice and Oaujun said.

……………………………………………………

Gypsy’s and Esther’s friends went to Puifai’s mansion for the party after the competition.

The guys are also present in the party.

“See? I told you my sister can do it.” Puifai is proud with Best.

“No one doubt it, sissy.” Proud said.

Jes and Nicky joins them.

“Jes, where’s Oaujun?” Alice asks.

“Outside.” Jes said.

Alice excuse herself and went outside.

Meanwhile, Mild keeps looking around.

“Mild, who are you looking for?” Mook asks.

“Your bro.” Mild said. “Did he came with us?”

“Yes but after a while I didn’t see him.” Mook said.

“I’ll look for him.” Mild said and left.

Mook wonders why Mild is like that.

“Aish! Please stop being sweet together. You made me miss my Nichkhun.” Puifai said to Jes, Gypsy, Nicky and Best.

“That’s right. And I miss my Thorn.” Esther said.

“Your Nichkhun?” Thanaerng asks.

“Your Thorn?” Apple asks.

“Eeewwww!” the girls said and laugh.

“Ha! Let’s see if you have a boyfriend and your boyfriend needs to go away, you will be like us too. Right, Esther?” Puifai said.

“Right, Puifai.” Esther.

“Aww… You two are so cute. This is the first time I saw the two of you getting along.” Gypsy said.

“Because we are the new best friends.” Esther said and hugs Puifai.

“Oh no you don’t!” Best said.

Best and Gypsy stand up and went to sit in the middle of the two.

“Now, we are out of place.” Jes said to Nicky.

“Yep. Let’s just go back with the guys.” Jes said.

The two guys left the girls.

“Girls, let me take a picture of you.” Kang said.

The girls pose to the camera.

……………………………………………………

After few months…

Their picture in the party is now in the frame inside Gypsy, Puifai and Alice’s room.

“Sissy, are you ready?” Gypsy asks.

“Ready!” Puifai said.

They go out of the dormitory where they join the others.

“Everyone, in the bus now.” Aom said and they all get in the bus.

 

 

THE END