First Dinner.

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where are you going?”

“ I know she is not back in the city,” Joon, who couldn’t figure out why jae had canceled the dinner show they were supposed to be attending, asked. The back-to-back meetings they were in hadn’t given him enough time to get to the note the secretary had left about Jae nto attending the charity art/dinner show they were invited to attend a month ago.

“ I just don’t want to go” jae signing the last documents his secretary had placed on his desk, replied.

“ where are you

“ I want to be alone,” he added, not lifting his eyes from the documents he was signing. The frustration on Joon’s face was only caught by the secretary standing steps away and collecting all the paper left on the conference table. She might know Jae as much as joon, but she had gone through all the people she knew jae might cancel art shows for. Considering that his girlfriend was still in Europe, the only name she could come up with was Hyeon. But even that was shut down as a possibility since she was here yesterday. There was no way these two were meeting two days a row and not in a private space on a Friday evening. The secretary had spent a few minutes wondering what was happening when she was told to cancel his attendance but she quickly shifted her focus to the reports she had to deliver. Unlike her, Jon wasn’t going to let it go that easily. All the new behaviors his boss has been showing are not starting to worry Joon. The alcohol and cigarette he had stopped consuming were seen as a good choice, and the days he spent alone and away were also accepted since he seemed healthy and more in control of himself. But this, his new behaviors are becoming very suspicious.

“ what? Why?” Joon was shocked when they heard the request. No matter how many times she was asked, Jae responded that he wanted to be alone.

“ You keep telling me to take a break”

“ That is what I am doing,” Jae, still not allowing Joon to look at his face, added.

“ But this is something you enjoy

“ he is one of your favorite painters,” Joon added, the main reason why they were all shocked that he was canceling this easily. After the weeks they spent trying to get the artist to showcase his pieces at their hotel, Joon was beyond confused about what was going on as he just pulled the chair in front of him and sat down.

“ that's why I need you to go and buy the painting I showed you. I will go to the gallery tomorrow” jae finally looked up and smiled at his secretary as he pushed all the signed forms her way.

“ I want that one only” brushing his hair, he turned to Joon, arms crossed and a fully annoyed face waiting to stare right back at him. With one look at the person that knows him well, jae knew joon was suspicious. Their friendship was placed in a weird space, even jae didn’t know what they will need to do or if there is anything they can do to amend their friendship. There is no going back to how things were.

“ I just want to be alone,” jae answered the question Joon’s angry eyes were asking him.

“ You can go with Sungi; enjoy the dinner and the show.”

“ Just make sure to get the painting,” jae placed his phone in his pocket and started getting ready to leave.

“ I don’t like this, Jae,” Joon knew he couldn’t stop jae. The only thing he could do was state his worries. Their broken friendship, which he has been trying to strategically amend, wasn’t even remotely close to being a functioning friendship let alone one where jae would open up about why he was suddenly canceling something he enjoys so much to be alone. The wall jae had built around himself was too thick for joon to even try to break into, let alone be welcomed into.

“ I don’t like it when you're all alone, locked someplace we don’t even know,” he added, not even worried about the secretary who was still a small distance away from them and fixing the table. Jae was the one to glance her way, then back at joon.

“ She has seen your nervous breakdowns and panic attacks jae; she knows exactly what I am talking about,” Joon explained why he wasn’t filtering himself in front of the one person who had seen just as much as him. It wasn’t only her tight contract that kept the secteries mouth shut but her pity for the man she had seen at his absolute worst.

“ what she does to keep everything locked in this room is more than what I do”, Joon added, giving her a small smile which she responded with a small bow she aimed Jae's way.

“ We are here. You don’t have to be alone

“ I want to be alone” the change in Jae's voice was immediate as he sent his focused eyes to Joon. The secretary who has learned to read both knew there was no way Joon could convince jae after this point. He wasn’t that happy about being reminded of all the things they had seen.

“ if I need you. I will call you,” jae added, pulling his tie down. The suffocating feeling wasn’t from his tie but all the unsaid words he kept to himself rather than unleashing them on Joon.

“ Like always” he sent a small fake smile which didn’t seem to phase Joon.

“ are you going to come home anytime this weekend” he could easily tell how big the issue was based on how long jae had disappeared for.

“ I might be there for breakfast or lunch tomorrow” Jae gave Joon something to look forward to. Still processing what earth was going on, Joon didn’t say anything else as he sat there watching jae pick up his car key, and his coat and leave the office. At least he knows he will see him tomorrow. Whatever it was he was running off to for tonight, at least it was better knowing he will see him tomorrow.

“ I’ll see you tomorrow” jae gave both a small smile before he walked out of his office.

“ what is going on?” Joon's eyes still focused on the tall figure walking across the office, asked the secretary standing next to him.

“Maybe he’s seeing his therapist, “ the secretary who had chosen to keep Hyeon's random visit yesterday tried to misdirect before she was asked about any new things she might have noticed.

“ He had stopped drinking, smoking, and his medication, so maybe he needs to stay away and energize from time to time” she had just come up with it to avoid being asked any questions but at the moment, it made sense as joon considered it a possibility. Both stayed there, starting at the man walking to the elevator.

“ Has he been eating right?”

“ yes, he eats on time and eats healthier, actually”

“ He takes these breaks thought out the day where he lays on the floor, “ she added explaining some of the things jae has been doing to survive the day.

“ he takes off his shoe off and lays on the floor, eyes closed and breathing in” she added giving joon a smile when he looked her way.

“ He has stopped smoking so I thought it might be a therapist thing” her response forced both to look at his hands which they were used to seeing holding cigaret when he was stressed . His hands brushing his hair were sent to his pocket. He did look healthy. He looked as healthy as ever as they both asses his tall figure. He was calmer, he did his work, he wasn;t have that many episodes... what on erath is going on? Both were busy trying to understand the changes but it will takes month from now for them to start connecting the docs and accept the impossible.

“ What going on between you two?” not sure if she was even allowed to ask she took her chance.

“ he doesn’t trust me anymore” Joon standing up gave her the answer she wasn’t ready for. The truth he wasn’t scared of sharing, Joon knew there was no way she hadn’t picked up on what has benn going on with the two. The dynamic from the day they arrived has been off and she knew it wasn’t something they can have a small chat with and solve. They have to wiat for the dya it all comes tumbling down and might even come down to a fist fight to solve it.

“ I made the call when hye” he stopped himself before he finished the sentence he hasn’t said to anybdoy before.

“ its not important” Joon picking up his stuff started heading to the door.

“ me and sungi are going to the show so if anything comes up pelase send it my way. Don’t bother jae” was the last thing said in the office. The sceterey an hour later would lock all the spaces, turn off lights, and walk out of the office for once was closed right on time. For once she gets to leave the office before the sun went down and actually plans to have a nice Friday evening. The secretary along with most office workers that were rushing home flooded the city while all the restaurants, bars, and clubs. .plan ahead for a busy night that will go till sunrise. It’s Friday night after all.

 

For those unfortunate ones who work way past the sunset, friday nights drinks weren’t a fun event but a way to destress from the week. Although she had declined in the most nicest ways, heyon was still being asked to join the dinner and drinks afterwards. The girl who doesn’t even drink with coworkers wasn’t going to drink with strangers she just met twice. Even if she didn’t have plans, it wouldn't be something she would engage in. Her home she loves so much would be her primary target after such a long day.

“ It was nice seeing you all again”

“Thank you so much” Full bows were extended as she walked backwards from the group and headed to her car. The two bags in her hand filled to brim with folders and documents from her crazy day where the first to be thrown into the car as she sighed in relief when the massive weight was removed from her shoulders.

“Ughhh” she sighed as she strcthed her body down and tried to give her stressed muscles and back some relief. She seriosly need to take Mrs park offer and attend the massage sessions itht he discount card she was given. Or may be she could take a nice bath tonight when she gets home. She smiled at the thought. Dinner should take about 2 or 3 horus she assumed as she started calculating if she would have time for a nice bath when she gets home later.

“ ITS FRIDAY NIGHt” the radio that started sceraming right when she turned her engine was silenced before anything else. The adress he had texted her hours ago was already input into her gps which indicated she had a 35 minuet drive to the destination. She was going to the other side of town and expected it to be over half an hour anyway. A nice drive at night was the the right break she needed to wrap her thoughts about the work she did this week and get into weekend mode. Her hand extended out the window she opened up, she let the nice wind take away all the stress and work-related thoughts she was trying nto to think about. The radio playing the soft songs she always enjoy, hyeon was completely in her zone as she started driving across town. She seriously thought about why she doesn’t do this anymore. Considering how much she loves long drives, especially at nigh,t it was shocking how she doesn’t do it anymore. But it was one of the many things she enjoys she doesn’t do anymore. When she was young she had thought she would get to enjoy life and herself when she had a job and was older but now. Now even with her dream job and the money she makes, she rarely does things for herself. Lost in these thoughts, she didn’t even pay that much attention to the GPs she fully trusted to get her to the destination which they did.

 

“ This building” she sighed as she started looking for her phone. She recalls this building from her drunk night weeks ago. Her phone that wss hidden undreaneth her coat she had taken off, she pulled it up to read the instructions she was sent.

“ Gatecode” she started looking for the numbers she wsa todl to enter into thesecurity system to open the gates. Her arm extended out her window, she started pressing the apartment number and then the passcode she was sent.

“ Welcome,” the system announced as it started opening the gate.

“ Okay so drive straight to the six-floor parking” she placed her phoen down and followed the direction to the parking lot which was easy to navigate as she followed the circle rounds and slowly drove to the six-floor parking which was gated.

“ another password” she smiled as she picked her phone up and typed in the second 4 digits which opened up the parking lot she slowly drove into.

“ Ohhh” hyeon sighed as she recalled being here. She remembers how he had said all the cars parked were his. Her eyes focused on all the cars she drove very slowly.

‘ there you are” she smiled as she made out the jeep car they took to the beach house last time parked in the corner. With no parking space available for her car hyeon chose to just park blocking the Jeep which she was sure was his and she wouldn't be blocking any other body. She wasn’t even sure if anybody else had access to this floor, probablyy nobody had access since she had to press a code to get in. His cars probably have a tag, she answered her own question as to why he wasn’t pressing codes when they were here last time.

“ nice to see you again” She left her car in front of it and headed to the elevator hyeon smiled at the Jeep she enjoyed being in.

Another password was entered into the elevator system and, hyeon was on her way to the last floor in seconds. Still processing why the need for so many codes, hyeon wasn’t ready for the elevator doors that opened up halfway that lead to the massive living room with the wall-to-wall windows that had a great view of the city.

“ Hello” taking some steps into the hallway she shouted

“ hello”

“ Hello “ she added as she took more steps and walked into the living room. The music she could hear from a distance will be her next goal but first, she has to give the amazing view of the city a moment.

“ Look a this” she whispered as she took her shoes off at the corner stand and walking to the windows. The city was really beyond beautiful at night. Especially on such lovely evenings, when the wind is just right she took a deep breath letting the nice air come through the open windows.

“ what if you’re in somebody else space” her always anxious midn was quick to change the focus to important things.

“ HELLO” quickly she started taking steps to the sounds of music coming front the left side.

“ HELLO” she shouted again. Leaving the living room she took the open hallway to the next room where the radio playing was coming from.

“ JAE” walking into what looked like a library she called out

“ Hey the voice she was expecting came from behind her.

“ oh” trying to hide how scared she was and her little jumped back to move away from whatever was behind her, hyeon gave him a smile. A smile that would be extended bigger as she took note of the white shirt and jogging pants he had on. With his disheveled hair on top of that, there was no way anyone wasn’t going to find this adorable.

“ Hello” she greeted again as she couldn’t even hide the fact that she was surprised by his look.Anybody used to his expensive suits would.

“ you’re early” his right hand was sent to brush his dissolve hair down. Maybe it was seeing him two days in a row, and she assessed why this feels so odd but so casual at the same time.

“ I was taking a nap” he added to explain his look which he could easily tell she was surprised by as she was scanning him up and down.

“ My meeting ended early” she explained why she was here more than an hour earlier than she said she would. Cough- she cleared and changed her gaze to the kitchen they were in. she really needs to stop looking at him.

“I see” covering his face with his right-hand jae walked right past her. Her attention brough back to him thanks to his voice, Hyeon's eyes returned to the body that walked past her. His pants hitting the floor didn’t fully cover his feet which she didn’t even understand she was fascinated by seeing them walk bare on the floor. His right hand from his eyes he was trying to wake up and went to brush his hair down, hyeon following his arms focused her attention on his back which thanks to his white shirt were easy to notice. Either he has gained weighed weight or he has been exercising too well for his muscles to show through a shirt.

“ sorry for disturbing your nap” her apology wasn’t remotely true as she was beyond glad she did and got to see him like this, something she hadn’t seen in years. He looked less intimidating, more adorable, and cuddly. Ugh, she shook her head again to get the last thought out of her head and return her attention to the grand room.

“it's fine” the remote he picked up was pressed to turn off the sound system which hyeon couldn't figure out where it was located as she looked around the room the moment it all went silent.

“ How are you home this early?”

“ Also, what is this place?” hyeon taking more steps into the room, tried following jae, who was heading to the other side and the open door on the corner

“It's a penthouse”

“ I didn't have anything to do” leading the way, jae needed a few more minutes before he was fully awake and give longer answers to her questions.

“ why so many passwords? Do people who live here steal stuff too?”

“ Privacy and” his response was very very short.

“ oh God” hyeon forgot the conversation focused on another great of the city as they walked into the kitchen.

“ You really are living big” leaving him behind to head to the kitchen, she went past the dining set towards the window.

“ look at this view,” she returned around, unable to even fathom that he lives in a place with such a view.

“it's better in the winter” Jae looking for something to drink was focusd on just that task. Leaving hyeon to just admire the view by herself. He was tired of it anyway. Lost in her own world of admiring her view, she had forgotten about the man in the room who was enjoying the tea that had fully woken him up. Standing against the stove, jae was now finally taking in the view of hyeon standing by the window. She was in his place, in his private home, not even joon has been to or is aware of. Maybe it wasn’t just the tea that was awakening his mind and garnering is full attention. Just like her, he needed minutes to just take in the beautiful view in front of him.

 

She really hasn’t changed at all. The jeans she loved wearing weren’t on today as the black dress spots she had on indicated she probably had some meetings before this. The dark blue dress shirt tugged into it, she really looked a bit off whenever she was dressed in corporate cloth. He would rather her casual jeans and tshirts she used to run around me. If not that, he would prefer her with nothi . .. He couldn’t even finish his own thought.

 

“what's in the bag” he broke the silence and spoke out to redirect his own thoughts before they ran away to places he can’t get himself out of.

“ Oh, these are the cloth I wore last time,” quicking her steps hyeon headed to the counter Jae was standing by.

“ I made sure to wash it twice because I knew you are a neat freak” she started pulling out all the cloth she had worn weeks ago. The nicely folded cloth was placed on the counter that separated them.

“I made sure to use unscented detergent, so it doesn’t smell odd’ picking the hoodie that was at the top, she took a sniff. Ut did smell fresh bot didn’t have a new scneet. It actually still smells like him.

“ yeah, it still smells like you” her smile wasn’t what he was paying attention to but the fact that she knows what he smells like and how she just sniffed his cloth and smiled when she realized it smelt like him. His finger holding the tea had tightened their grip as he placed the bottle down. He needs to clear his thought and get himself in control l if he is going to survive tonight.

“ But you can wash it again, too” trying to make sure she is okay with him doing whatever works for him, she started folding the tote bag she had used to carry the cloth.

“ It wouldn't have bothered me if it smelled like you” bringing the tea to his lips, he gave her something to question.

“I am sure it would have but thank you for saying that” she placed the folded bag in her left arm, holding her phone before she sent her eyes up to his, waiting for her.

“ what?” she asked when he was just standing there quietly staring right at her. Sometimes it is fractions of seconds, tiny instances of silence where their eyes just in interlock forcing both to recognize the tenison building up.

“ shouldn’t you be getting ready, the earlier we go the better seat we could find” she had hoped that would get him to stop looking at her and it did.

“ do what you want” he gave her the permission she wouldn’t have dared to ask as he started heading out of the kitchen . Choosing to investigate the library they were in earlier hyeon followed behind .

“ I want to see the books” she explain why she was following him. Like she stated she headed to the bigshelves of books right when they entered the library. Choosing to stand by the coner she picked the book that was left by the edge.

“ there are things in the kitchen so help yourself” eyes focused on where he was walking jae wasn’t aware of hyeon eyes that moved from the book to him. Although her hands stayed flipping thought the pages, her eyes were focused on the man walking away. There was something she needs to do about how much she enjoyed looking at him but she wasn’t fully aware of that yet. Her eyes glued to him had forced her body to take two steeps back to keep their focus on the man walking across the massive living room and heading to the hallway leading to the other side of the house.

His head hanging low wasn’t lifted as her eyes switched to the movement she noticed when his right arm was lifted and came to his back. In one move he had grabbed and pulled his shirt offl. The quick movement that lasted a few seconds went in slow motion as hyeon eyes that followed his arm were left to switch from the shirt that was being separated from the body it kept hidden, to the bare skin. The muscles across his back would have done the job by it self if not his spin line her eyes followed down as his hair flying down from the shirt that move past them. His hair captured her attention as it land back on his neck forcing her eyes to trace the straight line down his back. The moment her eyes landed on the dark ink of the tattoo on his side, her whole body was quickly reminded of her fingers that used to enjoy tracing the letters ... that quick reminder had jolted her to look away.

“ ohhhh” she took a deep breath as she returned her eyes to the book her hands were holding. The courtesy he gave her when she was undressing, hyeon was ashamed that she didn't extend it his way and had done what she just did. The book was immediately placed down she started heading to the window. What made what she did even more shameful was all the thoughts that were crossing her mind.

“ ohhh” opening the window wider she let the cool air started attacking her face that needed something to cool it down. The embarrassment she felt from stealing a look was nowhere compared to what looking at his bare body even from a distance has done. It will take a lot of self-awareness to know why seeing him undressing will freeze her world and force her to focus all her energy being spellbound by the body which can and will do wander to hers if it ever gets close.

“ just take a deep breath” she warned herself as she buired everything along with the mental pictrue what she just witnessed with the cool air she was sending to her lungs. She could thank jae for taking his sweet time for giving her all the tiem she needed to focus and get herself together. His kitchen he offer was explore as she took a cold water from the fridge. A cold water alwayse did the trick.

“ ready” His calm voice got her attention from the painting she was staring at that was handing right behind the dining set she ws seated by.

“ Yesss” placing her water down she truend around.

“ You look “ she couldn't find the words

“ different” she whispered as she tried to recall all the times she might have seen him wear jeans. The black jeans he had on were a nice match to his dark blue sweatshirt. How much she wasn’t that used to seeing him dressed down was evident by how much she was stealing glances at him. That was his explanation as to why her eyes were looking at him the way they were and hiding away whenever he caught them. All the windows closed, lights off, tand hey werof e out the house in less the a minute.

“ you’re going to love the food” as she walked into the elevator hyeon tried to make the conversation focused on a neutral subject.

“ I haven’t had anything since lunch so” walking in after, jae chose to stay at the other corner of the small space. His not fully dried hair was brushed to stay behind his ears with both hands. Hyeon glancing up, couldn't help but get a full view of his face with not even a single strand hair on its way. His eyes she could have sworn were sparkling when he gave her a small smile. Maybe it was the elevator lights, she quickly shut it down as she turned her eyes away from him, her nervous hand starting to pay with the plaster tapped to the water bottle in her hand.

“ I trust you’re choice,” he added as hyeon not even sure why she turned his wayand looked this way, forced to follow his hands that left his hair and head and started adjusting the collar of the shirt. He really did look beyond good when he was dressed down.

“ huh” hyeon shaking her head to fix her own thought turned her eyes to the eleva

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter