Friday

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Only the sound of the raindrops hitting the floor and the tired surface of the balcony roof echoes throughout the empty streets. Drip drip . . . The raindrops were the only thing in motion as the statue looking Hyeon stood still, her always blank eyes staring down at the ground. Too busy studying the rhythm the water drops were attacking the floor with. She has always been fascinated by the sound the dripping raindrops were making against the balcony room.

 

Not even once had she looked up to notice the empty street or the soulless park in front of their building. It was the usual sight, the only new thing were these raindrops that have been attacking the cold-hearted city for the last couple of hours. With the sun nowhere to be seen it’s hard to even notice a new dawn was on the horizon. It was all thanks to the most boring day of them all cuddled by the most boring kind of weather of them all, endless rain. The dark clouds hovering above the city were a warning the rain wasn’t going anywhere soon, as the ghostly quiet city slowly woke up.

 

Drip - drip, the rain goes on as half the city tries to figure out the ty excuses they would have to give to their boss as they run late into work while the rest wonder how long this damned rain was gonna pour on. Swish. . The small wind brushes all the wet leaves and flowers across the dark street as it also brushes against her bare skin that didn't seem to react to the cold air that brushed against it.

 

one-two

 

one two three . . . Counting the rhythm Hyeon just stood there lost in her thought. Her feet that are now completely frozen have been sending pain signals that they were being attacked by the cold raindrops but her mind was somewhere else to register that.

 

“ Hyeon you’re going to get sick” Jessica opening their front door and stepping outside tried to bring Hyeon back to reality.

 

“ Why is it so damn cold” Jessica shivered as she zipped her jacket. With her shirt and thin Pjs pants on, it was clear to see why Hyeon's skin had turned pale. The cold air that has been attacking it had drained all the color away.

 

“ What did you decide?” Jessica asked. From the moment they walked out of that meeting on Tuesday, Jessica had tried to stay away from forcing Hyeon to decide on what they’re going to do. She didn’t even want to ask what Hyeon was thinking about as she witnessed her friend dozing off in the middle of a conversation for days.

 

“Is it the ex?” Mrs. Park asked when she noticed the zombie-like Hyeon walking out of that meeting. It wouldn’t have taken much for somebody to figure out something was wrong with Hyeon. For Mrs park, that was the first time she had seen Hyeon looking so lifeless like she just witnessed a ghost.

 

“ yes’ Jessica had whispered back as she squeezed her head and tried to calm down the headache that started right after it was confirmed to them that they would have to not only see Jae but have a long conversation and get his approval.

 

“Ohhh '' Mrs. Park gasped, looking at Hyeon's sick-looking body walking through the lobby she was strutting on minutes early. It was so clear to see how deep the cut goes. Following Jessica's lead, even Mrs. Park has refrained from asking Hyeon about what their next step will be. The whole team was told to not even bring up the topic in front of Hyeon.

 

“I shouldn’t have promised” Hyeon keeping her eyes on her stone-cold feet whispered out

 

“This was bound to happen anyway” Jessica added, reminding them both that it was only a matter of time before those two had to meet. With the kids back in Seoul, both knew it was only a matter of time before Hyeon would be asked to birthdays or graduations and would eventually have to stand in front of him.

 

“At least it wasn’t a surprise” Jessica trying to make light of the situation smiled. Hyeon was given 3 days to think about it and make her decision. From the moment the manager said JK to today, she had enough time to prepare herself.

 

“ what are you gonna do?” Jessica asked the most important question, everybody has been dying to know.

 

“ I’ve talked to Mrs park and whatever you decide we’ll go with that” Jessica added

 

“ It's totally understandable if you don’t want to even step a foot in that building” getting closer Jessica placed her gentle hands-on Hyeon's back. Although she might not exactly know what Hyeon must be going on, Jessica has been with her long enough to understand all the pain just looking at Jae face to face might bring. Mrs park has beautifully remarked she never had the courage to do it so she wouldn’t expect Hyeon to do so.

 

“ I can just go with Mrs. Park,” Jessica added as she started brushing Hyeon's hair down. The last couple of days she had witnessed Hyeon living in a weird state between the living and the lifeless, lost in her own thoughts. Fighting her own battle between her broken heart and her revenge-seeking mind.

 

“ you don’t have to do this and

 

“ You know I used to dream about the day I would walk into that building” Hyeon turning her eyes to Jessica cut her friend’s speech.

 

“ I would dress nice, full makeup on and everything” her smile was adorable

 

“ I would have these nice heels that would make a nice sound with every step I take”

 

“Everyone would be asking who I was” her small smiles were reciprocated by Jessica

 

“ He would be too shocked to even say anything when he sees me because I look so different” she started playing with her hair

 

“ It would be such a dream to see the look on his face” They both couldn’t help but start smiling as they tried to imagine how startled Jae would be to see her all dressed up after so many years.

 

“ huh” Hyeon sighed as she started heading back to the house, she was quickly followed by Jessica. They took their slippers off and went back into their warm house. They have an hour or so to get ready and start their Friday.

 

“So what’s your decision ?” Jessica taking off her jacket and hanging it by the coat hanger asked.

 

“ at some point, I have to start living these fantasies of mine” Hyeon, who was heading to the shower, turned towards her friend

 

“ are you serious?” the stunned Jessica running towards her friend asked

 

“ It is bound to happen”

Fr

“ He is raising the girls and we will eventually have to learn how to tolerate being in each other's space for their sake” Hyeon added more shock to Jessica who couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She knew t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter