His smiles.

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Welcome ma'am” From the moment she handed her invitation to the front desk men and walked in Mrs park had been left by herself to wander around the grand gallery and amuse herself with all the art hanging around. There would have been no way she would have paid the 35 entrance fee and came to this gallery by herself so while she’s here, she might as well see what the deal is. Past the three rooms the silent auction she was invited to was held in, she had made sure to go up all the floors and marvel at the expensive art pieces.

The three art pieces she brought she was shocked by how nicely framed and hanged they were. She stood by them for the first 30 minutes to answer any questions and Mr. Kim who appreciated her effort had told her she could leave at any moment but she was not gonna let this opportunity go by. She is gonna take sips of the fancy champagne they are serving and discover every corner of the gallery.

 

The JK logo she had caught at the bottom of the gallery entrance had let her know this was another tiny piece of the grand list of things Jk corporation owns. How rich are these people? She had questioned it for a second before her eyes from the 4th floor caught the men who just walked in. If her memory served her right, they were the same men she saw gawk at Hyeon when she walked into their office. Her eyes from Joon leading the way were sent to Jae following him behind. As the waiting staff started giving full bows to the man focused on whatever he was typing on his phone, she was assured it was him. Her feet immediately started following their path as she headed to the glass-walled elevator. As he placed his phone down and brushed his hair away, giving her a full view of his face, even from 4 floors down, it was clear to notice it was him. His distinct look and tall figure was an easy giveaway.

 

“Come on” she kept pressing the elevator doors as she kept her eyes on the men heading to the main entrance of the silent auction. She wasn’t expecting to see him ever again and his presence has added some charm to her night. If not a charm, at least a story to tell when Jessica and Hyeon ask her what happened.

 

Her curiosity about the executive director was a bit fascinating if she had stopped and thought about it but even teh elevator ride wasn't that long, as in less than a minute she was walking the main hallway to the silent auction. A quick scan across the room and she noticed Jae surrounded by three other men. Now the tall glass of champagne glass added to his look, she stood by the corner as she kept her eyes on him. The three men were doing most of the talking as he took a sip of his drink and listened. Halfway through the conversation, the man who came with him, Joon, would whisper something in his ear and leave the room. After about 10 minutes, only one of the three men stayed with Jae even after the other two had left. He tagged along as Jae walking around the room started looking at the art pieces for the auction. Considering how big the company he runs, Mrs park was even amused how he had the time to be here let alone have some time by himself. But more than that what kept her attention was the amount of time Jae called the waiter to exchange his empty glass for a full one.

 

Her attentive observation of Jae was interrupted by Mr. Kim who called her to describe one of the paintings to one of his friends. Half an hour was wasted on that before she could turn back to the main showroom to find Jae standing right by one of the paintings she donated for the auction. The champagne glass in his right hand was the only thing in motion as he looked frozen, eyes focused on the painting. The dark blue suit he had on was topped by his messy hair which she can't quite understand why he has let grow this long. Especially considering his job, but then again when you own the company there is not much stopping you from doing whatever you want.

Doing whatever he wanted was something she was sure Jae was known for. But as she stood there watching him, she was left wondering what deep cuts he hides from the world. “He is broken inside” she had heard it from Hyeon once or twice. Maybe it's her inner motherly instinct or her empathetic heart that always seems to notice the lost and wondered souls but something was letting her know the man, actually the boy, nobody is even smiling at as they walk past him, was the most damaged out of all.

 

" it's a beautiful piece" she whispered as she took some quick steps and stood by his right side. She had expected some type of response but there was none. He didn't even blink let alone turn her way.

 

" you might not remember me" she gave one of her famous smiles but it was not worth it as Jae didn't lift his eyes from the painting he was captivated by. His dark blue suit matched to his dark blue dress shirt and thin tie he had loosened up and the top button he had opened had given a small glimpse of his neck. Mrs park some seconds to notice his whole look.

 

" I don't think you do" she answered her question. Of Course, he doesn't remember her.

 

" it would be weird if you did" she smiled by herself as she zoomed her eyes on his right-side profile. His hair, which she just wants to cut or shave off, was placed right behind his double pierced ears. His jawline and cheekbones were the second thing she noticed. She was amazed by his beautiful face for a second or two before she registered how bony he looked. The dark circles under his eyes added to it, the boy didn't look like he had eaten or gotten a good night's sleep in days. His bone-thin look, Mrs. Park is sure is a look most models will die for and people admire him for, but it didn't look healthy to her.

 

" huh," she sighed as she turned her eyes back to the painting he was focused on. Her thought was now focused on contemplating that maybe he has a condition or a sickness or even the fact that he is an introvert. She didn't turn around when she noticed his right hand move up, bringing the glass to his lips. The campaign which she has stated was exquisite and she had promised to sneak a bottle for Jessica.

 

" you drink a lot" Mrs park whispered out finally getting a reaction as Jae turned his dark eyes her way.

 

" you shouldn’t drink much if you don't eat properly " keeping her eyes on the painting

 

" alcoholism is a serious problem " she added as she turned his way and gave him a small smile. He was too adorable, too pitifully, and too weak looking for her to be mad at his glaring eyes. It was surprising how the man everybody seems to be intimidated and scared by was just a lost boy she wants to give a good hug and a great home-cooked meal to. His eyes, which Hyeon has described as his most dangerous features, were like clear windows to her.

 

" and it doesn't get rid of the pain and loneliness" she added forcing a small reaction out of him. A small reaction, hidden behind the glass he took a sip out of. It was an adorable smirk that showcased his dimple.

 

" Trust me I've tried" her smile was infectious as he couldn't help but take note of them.

 

" The drugs don't work either" leaning closer she whispered

 

" but they do help with numbing it all out" The wink she sent his way was nothing but her left hand that landed on his arm was something else. His personal space issue, which he uses to keep people away from him, was thrown out the window as Mrs park touched his arm again as she leaned even closer

 

" don't they ?" She asked.

 

" huh” Jae cleared his throat as he took a step and moved away to the left but it was no help as Mrs park took the same step and stood right next to him. She was too observant to notice the nervousness that was displayed on his face as she got closer and boldly placed her hand on his arm.

 

“Maybe he is a true introvert” she assumed but the second he took a step away from her, she knew it was something else. How does having people close to you make you this uncomfortable? she asked herself. Her gentle touch that almost ran into wasn’t something she had witnessed someone move away from. She might not be a psychologist but he seemed like he would break to pieces if somebody who cared hugged him. Maybe that’s why he doesn't even let anybody get close. It was easier to keep everybody away, at a distance. Those of us that have been hurt before are not brave enough to let people in knowing how much it will hurt and break us apart. If he’s this scared to have people in his space, she could imagine how guarded his heart was. The metal gates around it are probably impossible to break down.

 

" Her brush are very prominent” turning her eyes to the painting, he has been staring at for more than half an hour, Mrs. Park returned his attention to the painting.

 

“ she was only 16 when she painted this” She gave the waiter who walked up to Jae a small smile. Placing his empty champagne glass on the tray, Jae took a new one. Shaking her head she rejected the waiter’s offer. In seconds both would be lost in their train of thought analyzing every corner of the painting. As all the memories and beauty of the painting hits her, Mrs park starts questioning why she even brought this painting here. This should have been one of the few she kept. Even if they don’t have enough space at whatever place they relocated to, she should have kept this painting. It shouldn't have been hanging at a silent auction where she wouldn’t even know who it will end up with. The fact that she will not be able to see it again just dawned on Mrs park. As her mind was too busy trying to remember if she even has a printed copy or a photo of the painting her ears made out his raspy voice and as always she was left surprised by it.

 

“What happened to her?” Jae asked. Even Though he had noticed the quick turn and startled glance his way, he kept his eyes on the painting.

 

“ The painting” he added as he brushed his hair from behind his ear towards his face. He needs to hide from her piercing gaze.

 

“ So you do speak” Mrs. Park's smile was beyond beautiful as it even masked her scary eyes and made them look warm. She can’t figure out why but his voice matched him too well. Immediately, she recalled Hyeon's rant about how she hated when he would whisper in her ear and now Mrs. Park finally understood why. His raspy voice can do things to people who adore him.

 

“ are you sure you want to know?” Mrs park smile slowly faded as she turned to the painting

 

“ It’s not a happy story” she added warning again, but taking a sip of his champagne Jae was waiting for the story.

 

“ She was and beaten while she was pregnant” The reaction she usually gets from people was nowhere close to the blank face of the man standing next to her.

 

“She almost bleed to death when the police found her”

“ she went through multiple surgeries to remove everything and keep herself alive” She added still waiting for a reaction that never came.

 

“ her psychologist recommended journaling but that didn’t work so I told her to start painting as a form of therapy and she produced some of the most interesting artwork”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter