Reality

Changed By You

She was lost as he was. They bonded over and that closeness bloomed into something else. Though both felt lost and alone, they had found each other, bonded with the same feeling, wanting to move on as they wanted to hold each other’s hand until they fell asleep every night from the moment they met.

They weren’t aware what the feeling of being lost changed to, they guessed, the feeling of being at ease or something else. That new feeling whatever it was, was the main reason they both stayed as long as they weren’t lost anymore and that new feeling wasn’t fleeting.

The moment they met, walking towards opposite directions, people bumping into them, both didn’t care until the moment the back of their hand brushing over the other. They felt a sudden spark. Curiosity kicked in, and both decided to look whoever that was. As their eyes met, as if time stopped giving the chance to just stare at each other. That new feeling took over. They were glad it did.

From being ill at ease to being in love, they were both novice when it came to the matters of the heart. They only had one life to live, and they were given that chance to be in love, why not take that chance.

 

-x-

 

The bed squeaked as their bodies moved, picking up the pace. Moans, their names, and occasionally curses filled the room. She pulled his head closer to her exposed neck, as he left marks on her neck and collarbones.

Eyes closed, , the feeling of him being inside her, leading each other to bliss. This wasn’t just meaningless or a stress reliever for the both of them, making them forget their problems once in a while. They realized that this was how making love felt like every time they were doing it.

They were left panting, lying beside each other, not even have the energy to cover themselves up afterwards. Tired and enjoyed every second of it, leaving each other breathless more ways than one as they looked at each eyes again, making sure the feeling that both felt the moment the night they met wasn’t forgotten. His hand brushed over her cheek, pulling her closer for a kiss.   

 

-x-

 

“Love you,” He told her, leaning in for kiss, already five minutes late for work.

“Love you too.” She smiled as he kissed her.

Both of them didn’t expect for that to happen. It was the first time they said it to each other. They felt that they didn’t need to tell each those words, knowing they both feel the same thing even if they hadn’t said it to each before not until that moment, yet here they were, staring at each other, a minute or two had passed after their first exchange of I love you’s.

 

-x-

 

He couldn’t sleep that night, and he turned his head to look at her, sleeping. He smiled the moment she saw her smile in her sleep and found him staring at her, mesmerized by her beauty, by the shape of her lips and eyes, and by how long her eyelashes were.

She slowly opened her eyes. She noticed him staring at her. “Am I that beautiful?” She sniggered.

“Too beautiful” He fixed her hair that was covering her eyes when she woke up. She smiled as he pulled her closer to him, snuggling her.

 

-x-

 

He was driving home, listening to the news as he always did, excited to see Amber in the kitchen cooking his favorite meal as she promised earlier that day.

The moment he adjusted the volume, he heard his girlfriend’s name. She was in an accident, and rushed to Emergency at a certain hospital. He froze, shocked by the news, his car suddenly stopped in the middle of the interaction. As he the engine again, he felt his shoulder snapped out of its place the moment another car hit the driver’s side, causing his car to swerve out of its lane, with a dented door, and broken window and side mirror. In pain, he drove towards the hospital where Amber was at.

Kicked his dented car door and left his car at the entrance, engine still running, he ran toward the Emergency. The scene inside was chaotic. “Amber! Amber!” He shouted and asked the first nurse he could find. “Have you seen Amber Josephine Liu? She has short blonde hair, about this height,” showing how tall she was, trying his best to describe her. “Sir, you’re bleeding, and injured.” The nurse noticed.

“Have you seen her? Tell me. I need to see her now.” He ignored whatever the nurse was saying. “Sir, you need medical attention for your broken shoulder.” The nurse dragged him to nearest empty gurney. “Please tell me where she is?” He was already in tears. “Amber? Don’t worry, I am here.” He shouted, hoping she would hear him, as the other nurses held him down the gurney to treat him.

He waited outside her room as the doctor checked her condition. He paced back and forth, one arm on a sling, his other hand on rubbing his nape, breathing nervously. He was waiting for them to let him in, letting him finally see her.

Days passed, he patiently waited for her to wake up. His weary eyes looked at her, holding her hand, kissing it with his trembling lips, his tears falling down. “Please don’t die. Please don’t leave me.” The feeling of being alone and lost already creeping in, scaring his weak heart and spirit.

“I love you.” He kissed her hand again, still holding it, never wanted to let go, and hoping she wanted that too. He didn’t notice he had fallen asleep.

“I love you.” He heard her voice, awakened by it, and felt her hand move, holding his. He saw her eyes moved, tears falling from her closed lids, “Amber” He smiled, tears in his eyes as they held each other’s hand like they always do.

Then the heart monitor continuously beeped. “No! No!

The doctor and nurses rushed in upon hearing the beeps. The other nurses dragged Henry out of the room. “Sir, you need to leave the room.”

“Amber! Amber!” He shouted.

 

-x-

 

Henry opened his eyes as he heard the door being closed in front of him in which it turned out to be only in his dream. He fell as sleep on the sofa and left the TV on. Hands on his moist forehead, he cried and tried his best to even out his breathing. He felt like in hearts were in pieces.

Then he saw Amber walking inside his apartment, smiling at him, “Henry, I bought pi…zza,” placing it above the dining table. Henry rushed towards her and hugged her tight, still crying.

Her hands rested the sides of his face, her thumbs wiping his tears on his eyes and cheeks. “Henry,” She tried to calm him down as his tears continued to fall, “what’s wrong?” she asked, on the verge of crying, since Henry broke down in tears. He saw him cried once, but not like this which made her worry.

“It felt so real.” His lips trembling as he sniffed. “I really thought I would lose you. I really thought you were dying and I can’t do anything to stop from happening.”

“It was just a dream. Okay. I am here,” she kissed him, “See,” and their lips met again, “I am not dead.”

He hugged her tight again, “I love you.” Both could feel his chest rise and fall as he tried to breathe normally again as she hugged him back, “I love you too.”

 

-x-