Memories of What They Once Were

Changed By You

She sat in the middle of their now empty living room-slash-bedroom-slash-dining room.

 

They were young when they met. There was this instant connection. They have the same dreams. Now, they had the same dreams.

 

That they felt the same thing that she mistakenly thought as love.

 

They had their life planned out but it turned out that she had their life together planned out. She almost believed that it would become real.

 

And this small room had seen their love grew, got older, fell ill, and eventually died.

 

There was one last thing to do, most important of all. She stared at the box in front of her, an empty box. She hoped soon it wouldn’t be even how difficult and heart-breaking her situation was. She needed to do this.

 

She stood up, picked up the box, and walked toward the wall full of their pictures. Every picture was a reminder of the emotion she felt, they felt the moment a certain picture was taken.

 

She removed them one by one, looked at them with disappointment of what have happened to the couple in those pictures – how in love they were, knowing they were once that couple, that happy imperfect couple.

 

In every square picture, there were words written at the bottom and at the back – words that made them treasure every captured moment even more. Pictures dated back to the days when they first met, when there were still friends. Many things happened, great and wonderful things that led her to what she was doing right now.

 

It was hard for to see their moments again and knowing those moments would just end up in a box like they were trash, garbage, and had no use anymore.

 

She took one last look of the almost empty wall, still holding the box full of pictures. She decided to leave one picture up on the wall, right in the middle. She grabbed a packaging tape, a marker and a paper, and left a note to the next tenants – “We had a blast living here. We hope you guys too,” and taped it beside the picture.

 

Though the next tenant or tenants didn’t have any idea who she and Henry were, the whole story – its beginning, middle and end, and only knew what the picture shows. Let that picture be the reminder that they really had enjoyed living there, how happy they were; how love filled up that small space they once called home.

 

Now, she ended up with a box full of pictures, and another box full of their couple stuff. She had nothing to do anymore with them and thought of the best place where she could leave them.

 

She placed the boxes on the porch, knocked on his door, and left.

 

He opened the door and noticed the boxes with his name written on the boxes. He looked around. He opened one of the boxes and saw the pictures, and noticed the note placed above the other box.

 

Snoopy Henry, you forgot to bring these with you. I have nothing to do with them anymore. – Llama Amber –” It saddened him to see the words she cancelled out.

 

“Honey, who’s at the door?” Dasom shouted from the kitchen. He heard her footsteps walking towards the door. He hid the note in his pocket and closed the box of pictures. “Oh, someone left some packages. For whom are they?” She asked.

 

“For me” He placed the boxes inside and closed the door.

 

“From who? And what’s in them?”

 

“From Siwon. He was on a hurry so he just left the boxes some of my old stuff from college on the pouch,” She stood in front of them, blocking Dasom’s view of the boxes.

 

“Let me help you.” She offered to lend a hand.

 

“No. I could carry them down to the basement. Go get dressed. You will be late for work.” He kissed her cheek.

 

“Okay.” She went upstairs to their bedroom.

 

He didn’t know why he lied to his girlfriend about who left the boxes outside and what were inside, but he knew how important the contents were to him. And knowing Amber didn’t want them anymore made him to finally realize how she felt the moment he broke up with her, and left her and these things behind.