Too Many Mistakes

Changed By You

 

“I am sorry, Henry.” Amber wanted to hold his hand but changed her mind. Henry saw Amber glancing at his hand for a second or two. So he did the first move and Amber placed her hands inside her pockets, away from him.

 

“I’m sorry, Henry.” Henry wondered why she was asking for forgiveness as he looked at her.

 

“I’m sorry.” Amber saying it the third time that night, and followed again by silence that both Henry and Amber were avoiding.

 

“Why are saying sorry to me?”

 

“I want you to hear how ridiculous you sound every time you have said those words to me now that I realized that. I am tired of hearing those words especially when you say it. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry, all the ing time.” She was mocking him. “But I guess you are not fed up of me saying those words to you. I’m sorry, Henry.”

 

“Amber, please. Don’t do this. Please, I’m begging you.” His lips trembled. He had a gut feeling of how this conversation would end.

 

“I’m sorry if I am hurting you right now,” Amber looked at Henry, on the verge of breaking down in front of him but she eventually let the tears fall down from her eyes which were as tired as she was.

 

 “I am just so ing tired, Henry. So ing tired of this” She was talking about the current status of their relationship. That statement alone led him a step closer to the path that Henry didn’t want to walk into but Amber was already a few steps ahead of him.

 

“I couldn’t count anymore how many times you have said sorry to me, asking me to forgive you. I love you so much for me to always forgive you, giving you another chance, to be blinded by that so called love that I have for you to not realize that you are not learning from your mistakes.”

 

“I could avoid saying those words. I could try not to do mistakes.” He promised since the fate of their relationship didn’t look so great, as he held her hands.

 

Amber was scared of the fact she will soon hurt Henry, and felt like she would hurt him more than he ever hurt her. All she wanted was just to be open and honest with him. And she accepted that for her to be open and honest, hurting him was part of process.

 

“I’m sorry, Henry. We need to go through with this.” Amber pulled her hands away from Henry, even stepping away from him. The space between them was the result of how many times Henry asked Amber for forgiveness, for the mistakes he both knowingly and unknowingly had done to her and their relationship, that lead to this moment.

 

Even if he heard her loud and clear he denied the fact to where the conversation they were having was leading to. He wanted to say sorry, to apologize again for the times that led to this moment but he already said he would avoid saying those words. But in his mind, he was saying, “I’m sorry” repeatedly, breaking his promise.

 

“I am tired of letting you hurt me over and over again. My patience has run out. I am at the end of my rope. I can’t do this anymore.”

 

“Amber, please.” Henry hugged his girlfriend of three years.

 

“Again, Henry, I’m sorry.” She just stood there. She wasn’t even hugging him back. “I am just being honest with you.”

 

“Every time you forgive me, I feel like I am the luckiest man in the world to have a girlfriend like you that could understand me and my mistakes. I am lucky because you love me. I am in love with someone who loves me back. I love you, Amber. I will always love you.”

 

“I guess you are running out luck then.” Amber tried to step away from him, pushing him by his chest but Henry didn’t let her.

 

That wasn’t the reply he was expecting to hear from her. She should have said “I love you.” But she didn’t. That only meant one thing. She wanted him to meet her here to finally end their relationship. She was sure that she wanted to break up with him.

 

Once she made her mind about something, there was no turning back. He hoped at the beginning of their conversation, he could still convince her. That she was still sitting on the fence, indecisive. He was indeed wrong from the start – thus making another mistake.

 

He had made three mistakes that night – breaking the promise he told her that night, thinking that she was still indecisive of the real status of their relationship, and believing that she still loves him.