The Little Things

Changed By You

He was just walking around the campus, observing everyone, and occasionally smiles at some point like some inside joke he suddenly remembered. He was walking around with his violin case hanging on his shoulder, holding some music sheets, looking for the auditorium, confused, like a lost kid.

Someone noticed these little things that he had been doing, laughing at him. Suddenly the bell rang. She rushed to her next class.

Every day, she did not even notice that she always kept an eye on this guy. She always laughed at the thought of his will-never-get-old confused look. It became a part of her day. We could safely say that that said look on his face always makes her day. She also finds that fact amusing. “I need a new hobby.” She said to herself. And again, the bell rang, and she is late for class. “Tsk, every time” She complained, as she ran to her class.

He finally became familiar with his new life in the university – dorm, classes, auditorium for practice, dorm. This was his daily routine. But even though he was tired running between classes and practices, he always noticed a girl every time he passed that park bench, glancing at his direction once in a while. Seeing her brighten up his day. 

“This won’t do!” She whispered, as she tore a piece of paper. “I need to submit this afternoon.” She said, as she tried to draw something worth grading. She sighed in frustration, as she cursed in her head. She looks around for something she can draw just for the sake of submitting this afternoon, when she noticed something, rather someone smiling, “Oh!” She chuckled out loud.

Not so far away, he suddenly smiled, and laughed as well, standing in front of his locker. “What are you laughing at? Is there something funny?” Onew asked. “Nothing,” he replied, still smiling, closing his locker.     

She finally got her needed inspiration. She was smiling while drawing. “Even in my drawings, he turned into a subject. I definitely need a new hobby.” She laughed at her weird self, making fun of herself.

She submitted her drawing to her always-have-a-high-standard-and-never-impressed professor. Her professor stopped what she was doing when she noticed Amber’s. “Ms. Liu, come back here.” She said. “Yes, Ms. Song.” Amber replied. “Where did you get the inspiration behind this?” Ms. Song inquired, so intrigued. “Oh, I don’t know. It just got my attention. There’s something about it.” Amber answered. “Still, great work!” Ms. Song smiled. Amber was shocked, because for the longest time, this was the first time Ms. Song ever complemented any drawing. “Thank you.”

Amber did not even notice that she had been sketching him. “Oh, he plays…the violin?” she spoke as she noticed that in her every drawings, he’s been carrying a violin case, and his fingers are bandaged. “I guess he’s been practicing too hard.” She suddenly felt worried. "Sometimes he doesn't carry his violin case with him."

When walking at the corridors one late night, she was stopped at her feet, when she passed the auditorium. “The light is still on” She noticed. “There’s someone playing inside. It’s him!” She whispered to herself, as she peeked inside the open auditorium door, amazed by the sound of the violin, or rather the violinist himself. She just looked at him playing so passionately. “I wish I could be as passionate about something like he is.” Amber wished. She pulled out her sketch pad, and started drawing the violinist. 

“Oh, you look confident” Luna noticed. “First time, you are not cramming for Ms. Song’s class.” Amber just smiled. “I have finished it last night before I got home.” They stopped in front of their lockers.

“Tsk…” Henry threw his musical sheet on the floor. “What’s up, Henry?” Onew asked. “I have to submit my composition a week from now.” Henry spoke. “And I haven’t started it yet.” “Seriously, I have finished mine.” Onew said. Henry was about to speak when he heard that voice again.

She was now standing outside the Music room. “May I see it?” Luna asked, trying to open Amber’s sketch pad. “Nope” Amber grabbed it, stuck her tongue out. Henry grabbed his recorder, and placed it near the door, not letting her see him, hiding behind the door. Onew just watched his weird friend, with a raised eyebrow.

“Please, I bet it will be one of the favorites of Ms. Song.” “Still, no!” She smiled, teasing, again laughed at her friend's pleas even more. “Ms. Song will let everyone see it someday.” Amber reasoned out. “Still, the suspense is killing me.” Luna spoke, pouting. Amber just laughed at Luna. ”It's top secret” She shouted in the hall, running away with her sketch pad. Her ever infectious laugh is heard all over the hall.  “Perfect!” Henry exclaimed. “I got everything that I needed for my composition” Henry bragged, picking up his violin case.  “You’re scaring me, Dude!” Onew joked. “You better be!” Henry jokingly shouted at him.

 

Henry submitted his composition. Mr. Zhou listened to it. After listening to it, he spoke to Ms. Song, his friend. “Hey, Qian, may I have a word with you?” He asked. “Of course, what is it about?” She replied. “Listen to this.” Mi pressed the play button. “Wow! Am I hearing what I think it is?” Victoria asked. “Yes. It is Yiyun's voice.” Mi knew Amber. He was the one who she sometimes asked for advice on how to impress Ms. Song since he was close to the said professor. “And who is this student of yours who submitted this?” “I call him by his Taiwanese name, Xianhua. But his name is Henry.” Zhou Mi answered. “Can I have a copy?” Victoria said. “Yeah, sure you can keep the CD. I have a second copy.” 

“Dude! You’re famous now!” Onew teased. “What are saying?” Henry asked, confused. “Your composition will be played for the first time for everyone to hear at the opening of the annual art show this Friday.” “Really? Wow!” Henry spoke. “Definitely! You’re composition must be that great for that to happen.” Onew realized. “Congrats, man!”

“Hey, Amber, guess what!” Luna skipped towards her. “What?” Amber replied. “You got chosen.” Luna spoke. “For what?” Amber asked again, as she pulled out her sketch pad and bag out of her locker. “Your drawings are part of the annual art exhibit.” Luna cheered. “Really! Which one?” Amber asked. “All of it!”      

“Ms. Liu, may I have a word with you?” Ms. Song called her. “I guess Ms. Park already told you about the big news.” Amber laughed. “Yes, Miss. Thank you for choosing my drawings to be part of the exhibit.” Amber bowed at her and excused herself. Again, she still couldn’t believe she was chosen for this big event, and just laughed at herself, while walking towards her class.

That Friday, Henry walked into the hallways of the university, and went straight to his locker. “You have not passed the Fine Arts Room yet. I helped putting up the artworks.” “No. Why? Is my face on one of the artworks there?” Henry joked. Onew just looked at him. “Just see it for yourself.” “Hey, Luna right? You’re Amber Liu’s friend, the student featured in the exhibit. Guess what?” Onew held Luna's hand and moved closer to her so no one could hear what he was about to say to her.

Henry went to the exhibit to see what the fuss was all about, 15 minutes before the opening of the gallery. “Oh, there is an unveiling of artworks.” Henry noticed. He peeped through on the covered displays when Prof. Zhou called him upon the stage, for the presentation of the featured artists.

“Ms. Song and I are proud to present the two of the artists featured in this year’s exhibit. We are proud to present to you our students, Ms. Amber Liu, and Mr. Henry Lau. This is the first time we will be featuring students. Let us give them a round of applause.” Prof. Zhou spoke.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are going to play Henry’s composition. It has a very unique style. That is why we decided it to be showcased along with artworks of Ms. Liu.” Ms. Song announced, as the song is being played for everyone to hear. As the song was playing, Amber realized something. “You got to be kidding me!” Amber whispered, hiding her blush. 

“Now is the unveiling of the artworks of Ms. Liu.” Ms. Song announced, as the staff unveiled one of her artworks. Henry said, “Is that me? It is me!” At that Amber laughed. “Yes. This man right here is the inspiration of my drawings here in the exhibit.” At that the staff unveiled the rest of her drawings. “I mean, in all of them.” Amber laughed at her embarrassment. “I know it’s weird and creepy. I feel like a stalker now.” Amber joked. Everyone cheered at her comment. “You can resist this face as an inspiration. And I thought I was the creepy one. As you know it by now since you already heard the song, I recorded you and your friend, Luna's conversation, without you knowing.” Henry joked. Everyone cheered even more. “Well, this is a great way to start. Enjoy the night!” Prof. Zhou announced the official opening of the gallery. 

Amber walked towards her latest drawing, the one she drew with Henry playing the violin. “Wow, Ms. Liu, you really are a great…” “Stalker” Amber interrupted him, joking. “No, artist. You really captured my emotion at that time.” Henry commented. “And Mr. Lau, it’s cool what you did there.” Amber spoke, as Henry’s composition continuously plays at the background. “Using the words I said as part of your song.” “I guess I really like the way you speak, it is that…..” “Weird, out of this world” Amber interrupted him again, refrain herself from laughing. “No! Ms. Lui…” “Call me, Amber” “No, Amber, beautiful to hear that’s the word I am thinking.” Amber blushed. “Mr. Lau….” “Henry, you can call me, Henry” “Henry, musicians and their sweet talk” Amber teased, as Henry grabbed Amber’s hand in his. Amber blushed even more.

“Hey, is that your friend making out with Luna?” Amber noticed, not letting go of Henry’s hand. “Onew!” Prof. Zhou shouted. “Luna!” Ms. Song shouted as well, as they went towards their direction.

 

-x-