Need to Say Goodbye

Changed By You

She was walking at their usual spot when someone held her hand. She immediately knew who it was. She smiled at she turned around to face the man she truly loves. He was smiling like a fool.

“You’re late, as always.” She teased. 

“Nah, you’re just too excited to see me. Admit it!” He retorted back to her, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

“You mean that you are not excited to see me because you are always late in almost all dates.” She ever more.

"You admitted that you’re too excited to see me. This is a first, for you, my dearest Josephine.” Henry spoke, swaying her arms with his as they walk, ignoring her teasing. She let go of his hand, acting all mad, turn her back at him, kept a straight face for she knew he caught her off guard. “Josephine?” He tried to let her face him again. But Amber never let that happen, as she stood firmly to where she was facing.

“It’s Amber!” She shouted.

“Josephine, I mean, Amber, I’m sorry. It was just our simple teasing.” Henry pleaded, pouting at her, holding her hands again. 

“Come on!” Amber dragged Henry. “How can I be mad at you?” Amber’s smiling again.

“Wow! Another confession! How much more would you say tonight?"

“Don’t push your luck too much!” Amber retorted, laughing.

This was all that they have. Just the thought of being together is good enough for the both of them. When they were together, it felt like they are in their own world. No rules, no limits. They were free to be themselves. No restrictions of what they could do.

They secretly went out on dates. The company, their members didn't not have any idea of their relationship. There were no any hints of it when they are together in front of their members. They became accustom of hiding things from them, and just be “best friends”. 

In their dates, anything goes. They could do anything they want. They just need to follow on rule: Never to get caught, or else. And they didn't want to think about what would be going to happen if they got caught. It is their worst nightmare. They would never let that happen, they swore to each other

“We’ll never give up, okay?” Henry raised his pinky up towards Amber. Amber raised her pinky to intertwine with his. They made that promise when Henry went to Taiwan for his debut, and left her behind in Korea. Even if the promise was for them not giving up as an idol in a foreign land, some people might see it that way, but it was a deeper promise between them, a promise that they, themselves, could only break

Amber was at practice. She was also busy texting. She was texting someone after each dance routine. “We have a 15 minute break!” their choreographer called out. Amber immediately bowed at him, and excused herself.

“Amber-unnie, where are you going?” Sulli asked.

“I just need to pee.” Amber went out of the practice room. When suddenly her phone beeped again. She smiled. “I said stop texting me” Amber typed in, as she continued to walk towards the restroom.

“I know, you are busy with practice but I just really wanted to see your smile.”

Amber’s eyes widen. “How would you….” She almost dropped her phone, when a familiar touch shocked her from where she’s standing. “What are you doing? Someone might see us." She whispered to Henry, stopped herself from saying Henry’s name out loud to anyone to hear, but she was still in his embrace.

Henry just smiled of how close her face to his. “By the way, thanks for acknowledging me on TV,” Henry spoke, as they hid at one of the empty rooms nearby.

“What?”

“First love….first kiss…15 years old!” Henry explained, again wiggling his eyebrows at her, never lifting his gaze at her.

“I don’t remember any of that at all.” Amber teased.

"Let me remind you about it.” Henry playfully smiled at his girlfriend, and leaned in. Amber held Henry’s shirt pulling him closer, as Henry placed his hand comfortably on her waist, pulling her closer to him even more. They exchanged their “I miss you’s” and “I love you’s” in between kisses.

All of a sudden, the cheers of her members were heard across the hall. “Yes! Our practice ended early.” Luna jumped for joy. “Hey, where’s Amber?”

“!” Henry accidentally shouted in Mandarin, louder than he supposed to. 

“Did you hear that? It sounds like Henry.” Victoria noticed his accented Mandarin. The rest went to where his voice is coming from.

“Henry, you know the drill.” Amber whispered, and Henry nodded. They fixed their clothes, their hair, and ‘cleaned up’ any trace of what happened a few minutes ago. “And here’s your candy back” Amber teased, as she leaned for a kiss, Henry smiled, as he tasted  his candy again.

"Now is the time to put your acting skills to a test” Amber whispered, as she hit his stomach playfully, yet still hurt, as Henry rubbed his stomach in pain.

“!" He shouted again.

“Oh, Henry…and Amber, we’re looking all over for you. This will explain why it took you so long to come back to practice, good thing, we ended early.” Luna smiled brightly at them.

"I am just goofing around with Henry.” Amber acted the best she could around her “best friend.” “Sulli, thanks for carrying my bag.” She reached for her bag. “See you around, Henry.” They high fived, then she left with her members.

 

-x-

 

Amber was sitting at their dorm’s balcony, busy texting Henry. She had a wide grin on her face, when Victoria sat beside her.

“You seem very happy,” Victoria noticed.

"Henry just texted me his lame jokes.” Amber spoke as she typed in her reply.

Victoria just looked at her intently and sighed.

“What’s wrong? Seems that something’s bothering you."

“Nothing. I guess I am just tired, you know me, and I am getting old by the minute.” Victoria showed her best smile, yet seemed faint. She was worried, and yet she could not tell Amber about it. “Just be careful, okay.” She advised Amber, as she went back to her room.

"O...kay."

“And come to bed already, it is already late.”

“I will” Amber spoke, as she texted her goodnight message to Henry. “Goodnight Chipmunk, BTW thanks for ‘reminding’ me earlier... :)))”

“Goodnight, Josephine. My pleasure! :P and remind me to buy more candy lol” Henry texted back.

 

-x-

 

“Victoria, the Boss wants to talk to you.” Their manager called out.

“Hope this isn’t about them.” Victoria thought.

“What for?” Krystal asked, as Sulli looked at him too.

“He just wants to talk about something with Victoria. That’s all.” Their manager managed to give them an assuring smile to lessen their worries. As he was walking out, she noticed Amber was nowhere in sight. “Where’s Amber?”

“Oh, she just bought us some snacks nearby.” Luna replied.

Their manager just nodded.

As Amber was walking towards the entrance of their building, a familiar touch made her smile.

“How are you, Amber?” Henry casually asked, as the guard greeted them. “Fine.” Amber forced herself not to laugh.

When the coast was clear, Henry pulled Amber closer to him. “Much better” He grinned like a fool.

“Stop it!” Amber warned.

“Tonight?” Henry asked. Amber just nodded.

“Nice!” Henry whispered. “See you tonight then.”

Now, Amber was grinning like a fool, as Henry went to visit his Hyungs at their practice.

 

-x-

 

“Finally, you’re back!” Sulli excitedly shouted.

“Here’s your chips and juice, Sulli” Amber smiled. “Hey, unnie, here’s your…..Hey, where is she?” She noticed that their leader was not around.

“Oh, she was called for an emergency meeting” Krystal replied.

“With whom?” Amber asked.

“Who else could call an emergency meeting with our leader?” Luna added.

“Oh” Amber realized who the person they were talking about was. She felt nervous all of a sudden.

 

-x-

 

“Our practice is now over. Go home safely.” Their choreographer bade goodbye to the girls.

Victoria kept her cool, all this time, after she spoke to their boss. She managed to keep a smile on her face, for her members not to worry.

“By the way, unnie, sorry to pry, what did the Boss tell you?” Krystal asked.

“Unnie, what did you talk about?” Sulli inquired as well.

Luna and Amber just looked at her, waiting for a response. Victoria looked at Amber first, then to the rest of her members, “Nothing, some leader stuff.” Amber kept her eyes on Victoria.

 

-x-

 

“Hey, Luna, have you seen my black checkered cap?” Amber blurted out from the bathroom. She would meet up with Henry, as what they have planned earlier.

“Hanging out again with Henry?” Sulli asked.

“Yup”

“I guess you two are dating now.” Sulli teased.

“You and your little ideas.” Amber teased back. “Thank you” as Luna handed over her cap. “Off I go” shouting, closing the door behind her.

Victoria was already waiting for her by the elevator.

“Oh, unnie, have you been standing there all this time?” Amber found it funny. 

“Amber, may I speak to you for a moment?”

“Can’t it wait?"

Victoria kept mum.

“Okay, let’s talk.” Amber was walking back towards their dorm.

“No. Let us talk downstairs.” Victoria insisted.

Amber just nodded, walking inside the elevator. “What is it all about?” Amber asked first, smiling at Victoria, as she was too excited to see Henry.

“It is about you and the person you really care about, and you know very well who I am talking about.” Victoria spoke, all leader like, serious.

Amber’s smile faded. “What about us?”

“This is just a simple reminder. Like I said before, be careful. I am saying this not because you are an Idol, not because I am your leader, but because I am your friend. I wanted what is best for you. Always.” Victoria pointed out. “I know what is happening between the two of you. I am a fool of a leader and of a friend if I did not noticed these things. I guess it comes with the responsibility. And I just let it be. But the management does not like this idea. And you know, what that means.” She explained further.

Amber just bowed her head, sighed, “And they want Henry and me to stop seeing each other?”

Victoria just nodded, “They want me to convince you.”

“I guess, you are forced to follow them then.”

“No. I am not here to convince you to end the relationship. I am here to let you decide on your own, if you wanted to end it or not. But I guess, by now, what happened before with Sulli and Taemin, with Luna and Onew, and with Krystal and Kia, and as well as with me and Kyuhyun, you know what they will going to do, if they did not get what they wanted.”

Amber just looked blankly at the floor, so many things running through her mind, as she looked at her phone – Henry just texted her. She looked even more worried, how would she tell him the news? “I’ll be keeping that in mind,” finally speaking.

Henry was now calling her.

“I guess he is waiting for you.” Victoria genuinely smiled at her, as she hugged Amber. “Just think about it. I am giving all the time that you need tonight. Just take your time.”

Amber tried to smile but she couldn’t.

 

-x-

 

Again, she was early, and Henry was late to arrive at the place they decided to meet at the beach. She removed her shoes and socks, as she wanted to let her feet feel the white sand. It never fails to calm her down, as she used to do it back home. But now, the sand did not helped at all to calm the anxiety that filled her heart.

She fixed her cap. She ran her slender fingers on the ever-so-familiar fabric of her first cap in Korea. It being the first was not the reason behind keeping it all this years. It was the symbol of their bond, their friendship, their love since the beginning that what made it so special.

“I can’t. I just can’t.” She thought as she catches her breath. “Why now? Why now that I love him so much?” She could feel her heart break into tiny little pieces inside her chest.

 

-x-

 

She kept on remembering what Victoria told her a while ago – what she needed to do.

“No, I can’t do this to him. The last thing I want to do is break his heart.” She kept on telling that to herself. “But if I didn’t do this, if I did not go through with this, I’m putting his dream on the line. He will be punished if I didn’t break up with him. He had sacrificed and suffered so much for his dream.” She didn’t have the will anymore to wipe her tears away.  ”I can’t break his heart.”

“Oh, he can’t see me like this.” She realized, stopped herself from crying, wiping her tears away with her shirt. “He’ll be worried.”

She just sat there at the beach, waiting for him, knees to her chest. She just breathed in the cool wind, and let it blew her worries away, far away from her, but it was her in hands, what would happen next, and she couldn't bear the thought of doing it.

 

-x-

 

“Hey, Amber!” He shouted, as he swirled her around. “Sorry, I’m late.” He laughed out loud, as he leaned it for a kiss.

“It’s okay, Henry.” Amber replied, after they kissed.

“Oh, again this is a first for you, you didn’t tease me for being late. I really like this Josephine. Hey, what did you do to my Amber?” Henry pulled her to his side, as they sit together, admiring the calm and quiet ocean. “I love the beach!” Henry excitedly spoke.

“Yeah me too”

“I bet you miss the sandy beaches back in California.” Henry spoke again.

“Yup, very much” Amber agreed.

“Then, let us take a vacation, when both of us are free from ‘idol responsibilities’“ He suggested.

“That’s a great idea” Amber moved closer to his side.

“Then you can introduce me to your family” He teased.

“And we can go to Canada as well, and see what is the fuss all about, and you can introduce me to your family.” Amber teased back.

“It’s settled then.” He rested his head on Amber’s. “My mom will surely love you.” Henry insisted.

“Mine too.” Amber smiled as that thought. “My dad though,” she teased.

“Oh really now, scaring me, Josephine”

They walked, and let their feet feel the cool white sand of the beach.

Henry pulled her chin up, looking at her deeply in the eyes, and kissed her again, but now more passionately. Amber responded, and kisses him back. Amber spoke in between kisses, “People might see us.” Though they were only few people at the beach that night anyway.

“I don’t care. And besides, no one would notice who we are.” He insisted, as his hands travelled at her back down to her waist, pulling her close to him. Henry’s kisses trailed to her neck. A moan escaped from Amber’s lips as Henry kissed her sweet spot. “Oh, this is a first for you again.” Henry teased, but never stopped kissing her neck.

Amber bit her lips, as she stopped herself from again, as his kisses sent shocks all over her body. Henry’s cap dropped as Amber’s hands ruffled through Henry’s hair, as their lips met again, and as their tongues touched. 

“I love you, Henry.” Amber spoke.

“I love you too.”

 

-x-

 

Henry rested his head at Amber’s lap, as Amber sat watching the waves of the ocean, while ruffling Henry’s hair. They said nothing towards each other, just enjoying their time together. But Henry never let his gaze leave Amber, and noticed the way Amber’s been looking at the ocean. “What’s wrong?”

“What? Oh, nothing’s wrong. I just tired from practice, I guess.” Amber replied, taking in the fresh air.

“I guess, it’s already late. I’ll drive you home.” Henry suggested, standing up.

“No, let us stay here for a while. And Victoria gave me a free pass today, anyway. She said take much time as I want hanging out with you.” Amber reasoned out, as she tried to put on a smile.

“But you need to rest. I don’t want you to get sick.” Henry insisted.

“I could rest here with you.” Amber reasoned out again, looking at him, as she insisted for him to sit beside her again.

Henry followed. “Honestly, what’s wrong?” Henry held Amber in his arms.

Amber forced herself not to cry in front of Henry. “Nothing” She replied, as she wiped the tears forming in her eyes, and pretended that her eyes itches, and sweat forming in her face.

Henry felt something wet in his shirt.

“Sorry, I have been perspiring a lot lately.” Amber insisted with her lame excuses, as she wiped her face again.

Henry just handed over his handkerchief. “Here you go”

“Thanks, Henry” Amber wiping her face.

 

 -x-

 

“Remember, we signed contract just to be in SM.”

“Of course, we need to.” Henry teased.

“And remember, there is this clause.” Amber added.

“Yeah?” Henry spoke with a questioning tone, realizes where Amber was going with this. “We talked about this, right?”

“But you know what is in that clause.” Amber ignored Henry’s comment. “And the consequences of not following what are written there are crucial to anyone who signed the contract. And we did sign it, and understood every word in it. The repercussions can be just simple warning or even much worst.”

“They got to her. Aren’t they? They have talked to Victoria.” Henry finally spoke. “They have gotten to Leeteuk-hyung too.” Silence enveloped them. “Before coming here, he talked to me, what they wanted him to do about you and me. That is why I was late.” Henry reasoned out. “He said they wanted to settle this problem soon,” frowning at that thought, while Amber sighed as Henry held her hand.

“Victoria-unnie gave me time to think about it.” Amber spoke. “To be honest, there is nothing to think about.” She assured him. “She weren’t forcing to decide right there and then, but after she talked to me, then it got me thinking.” Amber admitted, having a straight face, looking at him.

“Me too” Henry confessed as well.

“But, I can’t do it Amber. I can’t.”

"But still they both gave us a deadline.” Henry noticed.

“Sort of, indirectly” Amber agreed. “They are the leaders. They are just doing their duty.”

“You could safely say that.” Henry remarked. He shouted in frustration, as he paced back and forth. “Why are they...doing this... to us?” forcing himself not to cry.

Amber hugged him.

“Have you made your decision?” Henry hesitantly asked her.

Amber kept silent, as her tears fell. At that Henry pulled her closer to him, as his tears finally fell.

“No!” Henry whispered to her. “No!” He cupped Amber face, inches away from his.

“We need to.” Amber cried harder, biting her lip.

Henry leaned in for a kiss, and Amber responded. “Tell me that kiss meant nothing to you! Tell me this relationship meant nothing! That we are just fooling around, playing, joking, just for fun." 

Amber leaned in again. Their foreheads touching, her eyed closed, looking down, she was crying, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry, Henry. Even if I tell myself not to love you anymore, but we have to accept the fact, that we have to do this.”

He just bowed his head. He lost.

They had lost the battle they never thought they were even fighting.

 

-x-

 

He wanted to treasure this last moments with her. “Let us just enjoy our last night together, and tomorrow we shall be best friends again.” He kissed her forehead, and held her hand. They tried to smile at that thought, giving each other faint smiles.

Amber looked at their linked hands as they walked at the beach, as the sand enveloped their toes. They breathed in the calm fresh air that night.

They had stayed that way for the longest time, wishing that time would stop for them to last this moment together.

“I don’t want this night to end.” 

“Me too” Henry replied, as they hugged each other tightly, never wanted to let go.

The end was coming, and instead of avoiding it, they were approaching it, as they waved the white flag. They gave up.

 

-x-

 

“Sorry I gave up.” Amber apologized for the nth time.

“You didn’t. I didn’t.” Henry replied as he gave her an assuring kiss. “We didn’t give up. We just accepted the fact that we can’t fight it anymore, that we lost. That all we needed to do is to let go, and find the courage, the strength to end our relationship.” He reasoned out, as he wiped her tears. “We love each so much, that the worst thing that could ever happen if you continued on is for them not letting us to see each other anymore. And not even let us be friends, and force us to ignore each other. And I don’t want that to happen.”

“I don’t want that to happen, either.”

“See! So don’t blame yourself, Josephine.” Henry consoled her. “It is our decision. I assure you. It is.”

Amber hugged him. “I love you. I’ll always love you.”

“I love you too, Josephine. I’ll always will.”

“I’ll drive you home. The sun has already risen.” Henry offered his hand to her. Amber just smiled at him, linking her hand with his.

 

-x-

 

Amber went straight to bed, upon arriving at their dorm. As she wakes up, her members are already at practice.

Amber gathered her bag, and went to practice. As she arrived, she tried composed herself, and smiled at her members as they greeted her.

Henry approached Leeteuk at Super Junior’s practice for their comeback. “Henry, you alright?” Leeteuk greeted him.

“It’s over. We ended it.” Henry replied. 

“Oh” was all that Leeteuk could come up with, patting his friend’s back.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.” Henry gave him his widest grin. “Amber and I are still friends. I could live with that.”

“It’s over, unnie. It’s over.” Amber spoke to Victoria. “I’m sorry” Victoria replied, hugging her close. Amber just smiled, and laughed. “Don’t be.” 

 

-x-