What The Is That?

Changed By You

Amber was fixing her hair, her ponytail, when she occasionally turned her head when she heard her name was being called by Zhou Mi from the other side of the room since she agreed to accompany him in his weekly shopping spree since Victoria couldn’t join him this week.

She saw Henry and their eyes met. At his astonishment, she winked at him with a matching smirk.

Mi was telling something to her when he noticed what Amber just did, and turned his attention to the person she winked at and laughed upon seeing a very shocked yet snickering Henry and the fact Amber just winked at Henry.

He made a mental note to tell this story to Victoria when they got that chance to hang out again.

 

-x-

 

“Oh God, my feet hurt!” She shouted upon returning to Mi and Henry’s dorm, plopping on the sofa, her face on the cushion, tired. “Why did I agree coming here today? Why Henry? Why?” She instinctively moved a bit when Henry sat at one side of the sofa, holding her calves and feet, massaging them.

“Here” Mi dropped a bag on the coffee table. Amber rested her back on the sofa and grabbed the bag. “When did you find the time to buy this for me?”

“I bought you some new clothes as my thank you gift.” Zhou Mi smiled at her, carrying the rest of the shopping bags at his room.

“I bought that when I forced you to try on some make-up. You are too busy to notice me.” He added as he went to the living room.

“Is that the reason why you have some traces of make-up left on your jaw?” Henry wiped the said traces off of Amber’s face.

“Amber immediately removed her make-up. Such a killjoy!” Mi mentioned. “Henry, this is what she looked like a while ago.” He wanted to show the picture he took of Amber without her knowing that she was being photographed, to Henry.

“Hey! Don’t show it to…” Amber tried to grab the phone out of Mi’s hands. “Too late, he already sent to it to my phone.” Henry teased and Amber pouted like a child.

“But you don’t need make-up to be beautiful. You’re always beautiful to me.” He added. Then Amber threw a throw pillow at him. “You’re just hungry, Henry” 

“Yes, I am hungry. But I am telling the truth. I swear,” in reference of what he commented about Amber.  He even drew an X upon his heart like kids do when they say “cross my heart”.

“Grab your jacket then. We shall eat.” Amber stood up, walking slowly towards the door.

“Your feet still hurt but you are the one who even insisted to go out and grab a bite to eat.” Henry was walking behind her.

Amber, already wearing her jacket since it was snowing outside defended, “It’s free food.”

“Free?” Henry grabbed his jacket from the coatrack.

“Of course! I know you want to treat me dinner plus ice cream afterwards.” She zipped up her jacket and Henry putting his scarf around her neck and winked at her.

“Oh just stop winking at each other! This flirtation going on between the two of you needs to stop. This sweetness I am witnessing will be the death of me.” He shouted, looking at them being this sweet towards each other.

“But at least I’ll die happy,” calming his nerves down. “So, carry on, flirt all you want.”

“Let’s go!” Amber’s hand on the doorknob.

“Aren’t we too excited to go?” Henry teased. “Wait, where are my keys?” Henry checked the pockets of jeans in search of his car keys.

“Is this what you are looking for?” Amber jiggled his keys in front him, and finally opened the door, stepping out of the dorm.

“I just got distracted for a bit and you already took my keys without me knowing. Are you using yourself as a distraction?”

“And apparently it’s working,” She smirking at him and her hand lingered on his cheek, patting it.

Henry felt something when she did that, his jaw clenched. And then Henry’s phone beeped. He received a text.

“Yes!” He cheered and grabbed Amber’s hand and ran towards the elevator.

 

-x-

 

“What’s gotten in to you?” Amber asked, never letting go of Henry’s hand, as she noticed Henry being excited about something.

“It’s already here.” He said, stepping inside the elevator.

“What is it? Is this something about food? Because I’m really hungry right now.”

“It is better than food.” He reasoned, looking at his phone for additional messages.

“As long as I got to drive to where we’re going, I’m okay with skipping dinner.”

 

-x-

 

“We need to get there fast. Okay?” Henry said, as he buckled his seatbelt, and telling her the address.

Buckling her seatbelt as well and turned the ignition. “Are you questioning my driving skills? How dare you?” Then she stepped on the gas.

 

-x-

 

Henry stepped out of the car and spoke, “Just wait here, okay?” his head through the open window.

Amber just tapping the driving wheel with her two hands when Henry stepped back inside holding a brown paper bag.

“That must be one very important thing to make me drive that fast just to get it.” Amber commented.

“So what’s in the paper bag?  She calmly asked driving to one of the fast food joints they always went to.

“I made you this” He tore the paper bag and showed it to her.

Tires screeching echoed the streets that night as she stepped on the breaks.

“What the is that?” Amber cursed. And Henry laughed, “What?”

“That! What were you thinking?” She still couldn’t believe they drove all the way there just to get that.

“What’s wrong with it?” He, sitting at the front seat of the car, was still holding it up for her to see, showing it off to her.

“What’s wrong with it?” She repeated what he said to her, with all the ridiculousness of his actions entailed. “Are seriously ing kidding me?”

“Get out.” She said to him.

“But this is my car.” Henry reasoned.

“Get out!” She raised her voice at him, which was a rare reaction coming from her. They fought once in a while but Henry never heard Amber’s voice that loud in his life.

As Henry closed the car door, Amber drove away, living a still shocked Henry holding the thing that caused all this. He just decided to walk back.

Amber parked two blocks away where she left Henry. “!” She cursed again and her hands tightly holding driving wheel.

 

-x-

 

“Get in. You might get a cold.” She said to him as she slow down the speed of the car, unison with how fast he was walking.

“Nah, I think I’ll just walk back.”  He told her, his cold hands inside the pockets of his jacket.

“You brought this to yourself, Henry.” Amber spoke, still driving similar to his pace.

“And we’re going towards the wrong direction.” She added.  “You are still treating me dinner, after what you did.”

She could hear him chuckle as he walked towards the front seat and got inside the car. He was chuckling for he knew Amber wasn’t mad at him anymore.

“I will never wear that shirt.” Amber said to him.

“I’ll make you wear it. I swear. I will make sure of that.” He was too confident that Amber would eat her words, and it was too early for her tell she won’t wear it.

 

-x-

 

“Good morning, Zhou Mi.” She casually greeted Henry’s dorm mate standing in front of the coffee maker.

“Good morning.” Zhou Mi groggily replied to her. And stopped walking, when he realized Amber was there in their dorm at six in the morning with messed-up hair, standing in their kitchen wearing a not-her-usually-over-sized-shirt and also wearing one of Henry’s Snoopy boxers.

“And you told me you will never wear that.” Henry teased. He as well had a raveled hair, walking around the dorm in his undershirt and boxers.

“I think it is the most appropriate thing to wear.” She smirked at him.

“You got that right.” He smirked back at her.

“And I guess your noise cancelling headphones are definitely working last night.” Henry told Zhou Mi, as Amber laughed beside him.

Mi’s sleepy expression turned into a disgusted one as he realized what Henry meant by ‘definitely working last night’, and walked back to his room. "Thank goodness, I was composing and was wearing my headphones until two in the morning until I feel asleep on my desk, still, wearing it. And I will listen to the songs Kyuhyun sent me using my noise-cancelling headphones, just to make sure.”

“I think that might be a very great plan.” Henry told Zhou Mi, already gently pushing Amber back to his room.

At that Zhou Mi immediately shut his door as they could hear him grunting inside.

“Thanks for the shirt, by the way. Now I see its purpose.” Amber whispered to Henry, as he kissed her neck.

Amber’s new “How many of you guys are hot and wet right now?” shirt was now on the floor of Henry’s room together with his undershirt.