Definitely Irreplaceable

Changed By You

A/N: A fic request for @henbeo (I won't say your real name here. Hope you won't be offended). - A fic request about this (link of a pic - cr: to the owner of the pic)

 


 

Henry broke up with Fei, a girl she didn’t like for him. She chose to stay away from him, because she would see herself convincing Henry that Fei wasn’t good for him, that there was something off about her but for the longest time she could not exactly figure out what was it, what was the thing that made her feel that way about her.

 

When Amber heard about the break-up, she actually didn’t know what would be her initial reaction. Why did she felt sad and happy at the same time? Sad, because she knew that Henry would be saddened by this, that was the last thing she could ever wish for him to feel. Happy, on the other hand, her mind denied why she felt happy.

 

All she knew was there was a part of her that felt glad, they were over. Henry was sad but at least they have ended their relationship that she had a strong feeling, would just end, Fei hurting him, causing her to be sadder than she was the moment she heard about the news.

 

This was the reason why couldn’t concentrate on whatever she was doing. She found herself glancing at his direction. She was always aware when he was just around. She could sense it somehow. She guessed that was how much she misses him.

 

She tried her best not to be noticed by him since she felt that they just couldn’t go back what they were before Fei came along, before she had the courage to be honest of how she felt about his relationship with Fei.

 

She immediately turned her head towards the book she was reading when Henry sat beside her at the library. She stopped herself from smiling and looking at his direction for she knew it was just moments away from them talking again, like nothing bad happened between them.

 

She could hear Henry’s snickering, causing her to snigger as well. He always noticed her staring at him, wanting to talk to him, but she hesitated, so he decided to make the first move for them to be best friends again.

 

Girls may come and go in his life, but Amber’s irreplaceable. She is his “girl friend” like he is her “boy friend”. “Take note of the space between the words.” They would say to other people that questioned their closeness.

 

“How’s my Physics tutor doing?” He placed his arm over her shoulder. “I never taught you Physics.” She teased, since she always answers his assignments for him. “Tutor-answering my Physics assignments sound the same for me.” “Until now, I couldn’t believe how you are still not failing any of Ms. Taeyeon’s quizzes.” She opened his notebook.

 

“You are not the only one good at sneaking glances.” He looked at her, his body already started to flinch, expecting what would be her next move, as if he was waiting for her to punch him or something. And she did, lightly, as she claimed it to be but still a bit painful, punched him in the gut, earning shushes from the librarians, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon. Other students saw them covering their mouths, stifling their laughter.

 

“Want to go somewhere else?” He was already holding her hand. “Thought you’ll never asked,” slinging her bag over her shoulder.

 

-x-

 

“Finally, burgers and milkshakes,” taking a sip of one of the milkshakes. “Hey, that’s mine. Can’t you see it is placed near to me?” Henry took the glass from her. She poured some of her milkshake into his glass. “There, happy now? We could simply exchange glasses, you know. Such a drama queen” She used her straw to reach his glass, drinking his milkshake. “Hey!” He lifted his glass for her not to drink from it. Amber was about to say something, when she saw someone familiar, waiting for someone on the other booth.

 

“What’s wrong?” He followed the direction to where she was staring. “Did you see a ghost…?” He trailed off when he saw Fei. They both saw the waiter, Yixing as it was written on his name tag, same waiter that served them their orders a while ago, leaving two plates of salad on Fei’s table, and heard “I already ordered for us,” talking over the phone.

 

“Is she already dating someone else? You guys just broke up less than a week ago.” She stood up from her sit. “Amber,” he stopped her, “it is okay. Just don’t mind her.”

 

“No, she’s being such a ” She then noticed Jia entering the diner, and walked towards Fei. “Oh, she’s just meeting up with Jia. She’s not on a da… what the…” They saw Jia kissed Fei. Their kiss lingered a bit too long for two friends eating out, and held hands as they was about to eat.

 

“I never saw that coming. They are together.” She looked at Henry. “Yup, so let us just leave them alone. Okay? Don’t worry I’m a big boy. I can handle it.” He smiled at her. Letting her know he already accepted the truth about Fei and his girlfriend, Jia. And she smiled back, and then looked towards the girls.

 

“Amber,” He immediately followed her, stopping her from what was planning to do.

 

“Fei!” The two girls directed their attention to Amber’s voice. “It has only been five days, Fei. Five freaking days!”

 

“Amber!” Jia stood up.

 

“We are friends, Jia. You could say what you want to say to me.” Amber stepped closer to her. “I’m listening.” And Jia pushed her.

 

Amber was about to push her back, when Henry held her by the waist, stopping her not to hurt Jia, his back facing the two other girls, gently trying to push Amber away from Jia and Fei’s booth.

 

“Let’s go.” Amber told to Henry, fixing her cap, for him to let her go. “Let’s go, Henry before I do something, I know I won’t regret.” She was referring to her previous plan.

 

“I’m sorry.” Fei asked for forgiveness to both Henry and Amber.

 

“Too late for that, Fei” Henry looked at her, before leaving the diner. “Too late for that,” and then he looked at Jia. “Don’t break her heart, like she did to mine.”

 

“Amber loves you, you know.” Jia told Henry, causing him to hold onto the doorknob. “I know. You don’t need to point that out, Jia. She loves me more than Fei ever did.” He replied back, finally exiting the diner, running towards Amber.

 

-x-

 

“Why did you stop me?” They were walking down the street. “I was this close from…” He cut her off, “Amber, listen, it will be just a waste of time. It is not worth it for a cat fight.” He joked.

 

“Cat fight? You think I will slap and pull their hair. I will punch them.” She balled up her fist.

 

“Plus you didn’t give yourself the satisfaction to see your girl friend punching Fei and Jia in their guts, of course. Even I don’t want to be punched in the face. This is will be reason I will be famous one day,” She joked, pointing at her own face. He laughed and pulled her closer to him, his arm over her shoulder. “Keep telling that yourself.” He teased, and kissed her on the cheek.

 

She used to wipe her cheek right after he kissed it, but she just touched it. “Thank you, what you did back at the diner.” He and smiled as he noticed what Amber did, not wiping her cheek. “You chose to defend me, over food, that’s a first.”

 

“Damn it,” She exclaimed. “Why?” He asked. “Why are you so cute?” She pinched his cheeks. “Am I that cute?” He puffed his cheeks afterwards, teasing her.  “Be thankful, I am so hungry, I can’t punch you in the arm right now for kissing me on the cheek and for being cute of course.” He pinched his cheeks again.

 

“Don’t worry. I texted Yixing, he is a friend of mine, remember, to text us when Jia and Fei left the diner so we could continue to eat our burger.”

 

“Text him again, maybe he totally forgot about your previous text.” She was already pulling his hand as they walked back to the diner.

 

“Okay, okay, I will text him. Chill.” He smiled, telling himself, she is definitely irreplaceable

 

-x-