Anything For Her

Changed By You

Amber followed to where Jia was looking at the moment. Jia’s eyes widened and Amber noticed. She turned around and saw Henry. “What is he doing here?” Amber asked.


Henry went straight to Amber’s cubicle. He ignored the person at the front desk. He could still her voice telling him that he is not allowed inside the office since he doesn’t work there.

 

“Sir, you are not allowed here.” Min, the receptionist kept on saying to the person who just barged in.

 

“Wha–” He held her arm and dragged her towards the exit. “Where are you talking me?”

 

“Sir, let go of –” Min pulled Amber’s other arm.

 

“It is okay, Min. I got this. He’s a friend.” Amber cleared the confusion and worry that Henry created upon he arrived at the office.

 

Henry grabbed his keys and opened the car door for Amber. “Get in.”

 

Amber got inside the car. “What the hell is happening Henry?”

 

“You’ll see.” He entered the driver’s side and drove as fast as he could to their next destination.

 

“Slow down Henry.” Amber buckled her seatbelt. “You’ll get us both killed.”

 

 

-x-

 

 

“If you wanted us to go to a café, you should just have told me. And we could have coffee later after work.” Amber saw the familiar umbrellas of the café.

 

Henry walked to her side, and opened the door, holding her hand, walking as fast as he could towards the entrance.

 

“If I get fired by ditching work for cof– !” She saw someone that she thought was busy visiting his parents in China.

 

Kris dropped the drink he was holding upon seeing Amber walking towards them.

 

“Kris!”

 

“Let me explain” He was pushed by Amber.

 

“I thought you were in Beijing.” She removed Kris’s hands on her arms.

 

“But you are here with your girlfriend. How sweet!” Fei stood up and Amber slapped her.

 

“Amber, stop!” Kris held Amber by the waist because she wanted to slap Fei again. “Hope you are happy with Kris, you !”

 

“Let go of me. Get your hands off me!” Amber pushed Kris away from her again.  She grabbed a cup filled with iced coffee left from the nearby table and threw its content to Kris’s face. “Have fun with girlfriend, Kris.” She held on another half-filled glass of water from another table, and almost threw its contents to Fei’s face, lifting the glass up. She just turned her back, put down the glass and walked away from them, firsts balled up.

 

“You!” Kris turned his attention to Henry who approaching Amber. “You brought Amber here. Mind your own damn business!” He punched Henry, causing Henry to be on the ground, holding his lip, spitting some blood.

 

“Leave Henry alone! Amber pulled Kris’s shirt for him to remove his hands on Henry’s shirt. “Henry, you alright? Let’s go.” She helped Henry. “Just go to your girlfriend, Kris!”

 

She looked at his new girlfriend, “You’re Fei, right, his office mate? He cheated on me. Most probably, he would cheat on you too. Think about it. If another bimbo comes along, he will cheat again.” And she and Henry walked towards the exit.

 

Amber took the key from Henry’s pocket, opened the passenger’s side and let Henry in. And then went towards the driver’s side and drove away.

 

-x-

 

She stepped on the breaks when they reached an empty parking area near her office and finally cried; her head on the driving wheel. “How can I so stupid?” He hit her head on the driving wheel repeatedly.

 

“How long did you know about this?” She faced Henry who wouldn’t look at her.

 

“For quite some time”

 

“For how long? Why didn’t you say anything?”


“Around a month”

 

“A month!” She cried even more. “And you didn’t have the time to tell me about it.”

 

“Because I know you won’t believe me like you always do when it comes to your relationships.” He kept on looking somewhere else.

 

“That you will just say I am just making up stories, like I always do. That is what you always say to me. That I worry too much. All I need to do is to be happy for you.” He finally looked at her. “And I am happy for you when you are in a relationship. But in the back of your mind, you always doubted my concern.”

 

“I talked to Kris about it the day I found out. I confronted him. I punched him in gut. I told him to break things off with you since it seems that he and his girlfriend are hitting it off. But a month had passed and still he didn’t do a thing. He is making you look stupid. So I dragged you to the café where I saw them, kissing her. So I ditched my work in the middle of the day, went to your office for you see it for yourself.”

 

Henry expected for her to be mad at him, but she hugged him. “Thank you for protecting me, for worrying about me, for being always there for me.”

 

He kissed her cheek and whispered, “Anything for you,” touching her head, smiling, “Anything for you, Amber.”