Memories

Changed By You

This one-shot is written for a friend of mine a.k.a henbeo (I won't reveal her real name here) :) Requested a 50 First Dates AU .. and I added my own twist on that certain story. :) 

March 7, 2012 - I have posted my first ever Henber one-shot, "Smile" and got deleted when the site was under maintenance and I posted "Smile" again thus creating "Changed By You" on March 15, 2012.

Today, March 7, 2013, one year after I started writing about Henber, I just posted the 57th chapter of Changed By You, "Memories".


 

Amber heard the bell signaling that there was someone at the front desk of the store. “Donghae!” She called and heard no response.

“Donghae! There is customer.” She shouted as she sat on the ground near the car she was fixing and again, no response.

“Seriously freaking kidding me” She ranted, standing up, wiping her greasy hand with a used damp cloth.

Henry heard some footsteps coming towards him. “Good afternoon.” He greeted.

“Hello.” She smiled. “How can I help you?”

“I am here to pick up my car.”

“What car?” Amber asked, clueless. “I think you are in the wrong place. My brother does fix cars but you haven’t been here before so I don’t know that you are our customer. I haven’t seen your order slip in my brother’s notebook.”

“But according to this business card” Henry was about to hand over Donghae’s business card to Amber when Donghae came out his office and immediately saw what Henry was holding.

“Henry!” He called, nervous. “Hi” He composed himself to avoid suspicion.

“Donghae, he’s insisting that…” Amber explained.

“Oh, never mind him.” Donghae told Amber. “Sorry, for bothering you. Go back to what you are doing outside.”

“Okay.” She replied and went outside.

“Sorry, about that. My sister loves to trick new customers. It is a tradition here in the shop.” Donghae explained his sister’s behavior.

“Oh. I see. She’s really into character.” Henry commented.

“Shall we?” Donghae leaded the way towards his garage.

Amber looked at the two gentlemen as they enter the garage. “That guy said something about his car? Weird. We only have my car parked here.”

 

-x-

 

“So two more days for the additional design?” Henry asked upon exiting the garage.

“Yes. I guarantee you it will look like your first car that is what you wanted, right?” Donghae guaranteed.

“Wait a sec I just need to take this call.” He excused himself as he answered his phone. “Hello?”

“What is your brother doing here? You should have called first when you plan to start Phase 2? I have had the time to even explain to my sister that the car she was fixing is actually Henry’s. That’s Phase 2 right? That’s the second half of what happened before, how they met.”

“I was trying to contact you. But I guess you are busy video chatting with Eunhyuk.”

“Don’t you dare blame me if this plan fails JB?”

 

-x-

 

Henry was left standing in front of the garage and noticed the girl he talked to a while ago.

“Damn it!” He heard her cursed inside the car. “Why the hell it won’t start?”

“Need any help?” He asked, now standing in front of the car.

“Be my guest.”

“Wow, is this Blue Rider 487 one of the 50 cars that were manufactured by Bellanova ten years ago?”

“Yup. I bought it online.”

“My brother used to have one.” He laughed, as he examined the engine. “So I talked to Donghae and he said my Blue Rider will be ready two days from now. He is fixing it at Eunhyuk’s garage.”

“Used to, it’s his lost then.” She spoke, standing beside Henry. “Really? I don’t know that my brother brought some of the cars he is fixing to Eunhyuk’s.”

“That’s what I have told him. It is my brother’s lost. Well, I can’t reach the faulty part.” He then started to his polo. “Can you hold these for me, please?” He handed over his phone, watch and polo to Amber.

“Sure. Wait. Use my hoodie so you won’t stain your shirt.” She placed his phone, watch and polo inside the car, and removed her hoodie, revealing only her wife beater, laying it on the ground.

“Oh, your tattoo looks so familiar.” He was talking about the tattoo at Amber’s back, as he lied on the ground. “There it is. See this part I am pointing with the screwdriver.”

“Okay, I see it.” Amber look closely at it as she stood in front of the car.

“Even if it doesn’t look broken, it is, trust me. You should buy like two screws to fix it. Hopefully at QMi, they still have stock."

“QMi?” She asked as she tried to reach for the said broken part.

“I know the owners. The shop is downtown near my apartment, an hour drive to the city from here. Oh, don’t touch….” But he was too late, Amber’s hand was now bleeding, “that”

“Crap!” Amber was putting pressure on it using her dirty wash cloth.

“Sorry about that.” Donghae apologized to Henry since the phone call took longer that he expected.

“What happened?” He noticed Henry holding Amber’s hand.

“I forgot to tell her not to touch the part beside the engine so she had cut her hand.” Henry explained.

“I think you better leave.” Donghae looked at Henry as he was now holding his sister’s hand.

“You’re being rude, Donghae.” Amber commented. “It is just a cut.”

“No. I will leave. Nice meeting you…”

“Amber” She introduced herself.

“Henry” He smiled at her.

“Your things are inside the car.” Amber reminded him.

“Oh yeah. Thanks.” He bowed at them as he carried his phone, watch and polo. “And sorry”

“I will just send the address to you, Henry.” Donghae told Henry, referring to the address of Eunhyuk auto repair shop.

“Oh. Okay. Again, sorry, Amber got hurt. You know I didn’t mean for her to get hurt.”

 

-x-

 

“What was that all about? You’re acting weird.” She asked as they stood at the middle of the kitchen, Donghae getting the first aid kit.

“Let me clean your wound.” Donghae was ignoring Amber’s comments.

“I could clean it on my own. Thank you very much for being rude not only to Henry but to me as well,” She told her brother, and went towards the bathroom near her room. “For Pete’s sake, it’s only a freaking cut.”

Amber being mad at him wasn’t the only thing that worries him, explaining how she got the wound tomorrow was his biggest dilemma that night.

 

-x-

 

The next morning, he went to shop again. He gently tapped the bell that was placed above the front desk.

“Hi” Amber greeted him.

“Hello. May I speak to Donghae?”

“Donghae” She turned her head and shouted, “someone’s looking for you.”

“Who is it?” Donghae shouted from the storage room.

Amber just looked at Henry. “You are?”

“Henry” Henry introduced himself.

“His name is Henry.” Amber shouted again for her brother to hear. “Don’t let the customer waiting. That’s Dad’s number one rule.” She then grabbed the tools she need and went towards the door that lead to her car, her right hand holding the tools.

“Henry, do you mind opening the door for me?” Amber turned around to face Henry.

“Sure.” He noticed her bandaged left hand, as he agreed.

 

-x-

 

“Your brother is here again.” Donghae was on the phone talking to JB.

“My brother seemed to act like a bit different lately. At least, his memory is improving. But he still can’t remember most of what happened before.” JB replied. “And I heard Henry told me what happened last night when he got home. Sorry about that, you know he didn’t mean to.”

“I know. I just getting tired of all of this, I guess. All of this memory resetting every day, remembering only certain details of a specific day.”

“Remember, we are doing this for your sister as well. You know what to do.”

“Sadly, I do know.”

 

-x-

 

“I just go back here after two days.” Henry told Donghae as they exited the garage.

“Yup. I know you want the old design.” Donghae smiled, “Oh, there’s a customer. Make yourself at home, okay. You know what I mean.” He excused himself.

“Damn it!” Henry heard Amber cursed.

“Let me put pressure on that.” Henry insisted, as he held Amber’s hand.

“It seemed you already have a cut on your hand.” He noticed the loose bandage.

“What a bummer, right? The thing is I don’t know how I got the cut the first time. I guess while I was fixing this.” 

“It has been a long time since I have seen a Blue Rider 487. My brother used to have one.”

“But this Rider won’t start.” Amber mentioned, looking at the engine. “It to be the owner of a car that won’t start.

“Let me have a look. Maybe I could find out what is needed to be fixed.”

“Be my guest while I put a new bandage on my apparently second cut.” She then went inside the house, looking for the first aid kit.

“I think I have spare screws inside my trunk. Those could be temporary screws to hold on the part that needs to be fixed.” Henry spoke louder for Amber. “Let me get them for you.”

 

-x-

 

“Hope this scenario will work.” Donghae was still on the phone talking to JB.

“We are hoping for that. We are running out of options.”

“Oh shoot! Henry’s walking towards me.” Donghae swiftly walked towards his office.

“That was close” He added, still looking outside through his office window. He just saw Amber holding her wounded hand, waiting for Henry to come back. “We are running out of time. The doctor said the damage could be permanent if it reached a year.”

“What the..?” Donghae heard JB’s surprised voice.

“What’s happening?” He asked.

“Henry’s calling me on my other phone.” JB stated.

“Put him on speaker.”

“Hello, Henry” JB greeted his brother.

“JB, I just wanted to ask if you tried to organize my toolbox again. I can’t seem to find spare screws lying around in the trunk.”

“Ahmmm…” JB knew the car Henry was driving was his other car since the Blue Rider is being “fixed”.

“Never mind. I just found them.” Henry spoke. “Bye,” and ended the call.

“That was close.” Donghae exclaimed. “Why the hell he needs some screws anyway? Didn’t we know the whole story?”

“You tell me. Maybe Amber needs them or something. Ask her not me.” JB insisted.

“Fine. Let me ask her now.”

“Put me on speaker, so I could hear you.”

“Hey, Amber.” Donghae called through his open window. “What are you guys doing?” 

“Henry is trying to fix my car.” Amber replied.

“Oh I see.” Donghae then closed the window.

“They are just fixing her car.”

“That wasn’t in the plan, Donghae. They are fixing his car.”

“I can’t stop them. What reason I could say to them? Tell me.”

“All I am saying is stick to the ing plan.”

“We can’t do anything about it. Now, we know we don’t know the whole story how they met before. But we can’t interfere, they will notice. They aren’t that clueless. Isn’t enough that we are doing this behind our parents’ backs? What will I say to my parents, huh? That Amber is just a freaking lab rat in our little yet elaborate experiment. Remember, your parents and mine don’t have any idea that Henry and Amber are back to Korea. Your parents still think that their son is still in Canada, while my parents think that Amber is still in California.” He reminded JB of how crucial the success of their plan is.

“What the…” He noticed that Henry and Amber were inside the car. “They are going to somewhere. Henry apparently fixed the Blue Rider.”

 

-x-

 

“What just happened?” Amber told herself since her head started to hurt a bit.

“Is something wrong?”

“I actually don’t know.” Amber replied.

“We better get going then. It will be long drive to the city.”

 

-x-

 

“I better follow them.” Donghae suggested to JB.

“Keep me posted.”

 

-x-

 

“What do you do for a living?” Amber asked. “Let me guess.”

Henry laughed, “Okay. What do I do then for a living?” His smile faded when he noticed Amber’s eyebrows furrowed. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I feel like I remember you from somewhere.” She smiled. “I think you are a composer, a musician, a very talented one.”

“That smile of yours is one of a kind.” He smiled back at her.

“Of course, I am one of kind.”

As she looked at him, she started to see things again. “I think you should drive.”

“Okay. Pull over so we exchange seats. I know the location of the shop anyways.”  

“Here.” He offered his jacket to her. “You look cold.”

“Thanks.” She told him, wearing the jacket.

“You smell like a baby.” She told him.

“Believe it or not, I still use baby powder.” He laughed.

 

-x-

 

Henry left Amber inside the car as he bought the screws that she needed.

“Mi” He greeted.

“Henry” Mi looked at him. “What brings you here?”

“I need some spare parts for a Blue Rider. I remember JB usually by some of the Rider’s parts in your store.”

“Oh. Let me ask Kyuhyun. What part are you looking for?”

“Two 2 centimeter screws”

 

-x-

 

“Mi, I just saw…”

“Shhh. Keep your voice down.” Zhou Mi shushed Kyuhyun.

“Does Donghae know that Amber’s here with Henry?”

“I am calling him now.” Zhou Mi stated.

“I am calling JB.” Kyuhyun was already dialing JB’s number.

“Hello, Donghae.”

“Hello, JB.”

The two men put their phones on speaker and placed them on the table in their office so Henry couldn’t hear their conversation.

“Donghae, JB, they are here. How could this happen?” Zhou Mi asked.

“You let them out of your sight, Donghae. Same goes to you, JB.” Kyuhyun reprimanded the two.

“I am looking at them through the window.” JB told them.

“I followed them. So don’t worry. I have a new plan.” Donghae replied, and knocked at JB’s door. “I am here with JB. We have a clear view of Amber’s car.”

“Why did we agree to be part of this?” Kyuhyun worriedly paced back and forth as they conversed.

Donghae reminded the shop owners. “We all know eventually that the two of you will be involved, that’s why we have talked to you from the start.”

“I know. It hurts for me to see Henry and Amber still can’t remember each other.” Zhou Mi mentioned.

“What is the plan then?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Like we have been doing for almost a year now, we wait.” Donghae sighed afterwards. “I could feel that they will soon remember each other.”

Donghae and JB heard Zhou Mi shouting at Kyuhyun, “Kyu, stop! Hae told us to wait.”

“Kyuhyun!”

Donghae and JB rushed to the shop.

 

-x-

 

"Donghae, JB, we have been done this since Day 1.” Kyuhyun shouted at them as Zhou Mi, Donghae and JB blocked his way.

“Donghae?” Amber went out of the car.

“JB?” Henry rushed outside.

“You two better look at this.” Kyuhyun opened the garage door of QMi.

“Why is this car has the same plate number as mine?” Amber asked. “Donghae?” She looked at her brother. “Anyone? Does anyone mind explaining to me what’s going on?” She was still pointing at the wrecked car parked at Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi’s garage.

Donghae was about to speak when Henry stopped him. “Amber, I know this is confusing to you.  But I think I am in the position to explain everything. I know you are starting to see memories. I know your head hurts right now but we are running out of time.” Henry stood in front of Amber.

“Henry” Their eyes met before she fainted in his arms.

“You are okay all this time?” Donghae pointed out the obvious.

“I will explain everything. But Amber is our priority now.” Henry insisted as he carried her.

 

-x-

 

“Good morning.” He greeted her.

“Who are you?” Amber asked. “What are you doing in my room this early in the morning?”

Henry then hugged her.

“What are you doing?” She tried to push him away. “Donghae! Donghae!”

“Let go of Amber!” Donghae shouted upon entering her room. “I said let go! Get out!” Henry did what he was told, disappointed.

“I am sorry. It won’t happen ever again. I promise.” Donghae tried to calm her down.

 

-x-

 

“I saw it when she looked at me last night before she fainted. She remembers me.” He told JB, Kyuhyun, Zhou Mi, Eunhyuk, and Leeteuk, Henry and Amber’s doctor.

“What happened, Donghae?” JB asked Donghae who just entered the office.

“I saw it. I know she remembers me.” Henry repeated.

“Henry, listen to me. Now is the time to explain what happened. I am not in the position to explain. You are.” Leeteuk tried to calm his patient down.

“Six months after the accident, I remembered everything. It was three in morning. I called him and he said to go his house. So I did. He told me about what happened to us, especially Amber’s condition at that time. He said she wasn’t as lucky as I am. She still can’t remember anything. He explained to me her condition, that it was similar to mine. I just recovered earlier than it is expected.  He told about the plan and I insisted that I wanted to still be part of it to see how she is doing, since then I am pretending to still be sick for her sake, to understand what she was going through. It breaks my heart every time she asks for my name when we meet since she can’t remember me, technically she doesn’t know me.”

“Guys, can you leave us alone for a sec?” Donghae asked the rest to go outside his office.

 

-x-

 

“Henry, every day, her mind resets. I know, you know we run different similar scenarios that could help remember things. Every day, there’s a slight chance of her remembering you even if we can only control certain parts of the planned scenarios given the unpredictability of Amber’s actions, and yours as well since we thought we haven’t recovered yet. But we don’t have a lot time left or else it will be permanent.” Donghae watched Henry paced back and forth, sighing.

“What you are saying could hurt her. You saw what happened yesterday, she fainted.” Once again, Donghae was explaining things to Henry and Henry's reply to that was to close his eyes, and bowed his head.

“She fainted when she started to remember you. I know you understand what she is going through more than all of us here. I know it will hurt her if she saw so many things from past in just one day but like I said we are running out of time. She needs to remember you as soon as possible.”

“Okay.” Henry finally agreeing to what Donghae wanted.

“Before talking to her, I want to show you something.” Donghae gave him a box.

“This is Amber’s sketch book. She always brings a sketch pad in her bag, and sometimes left it on the back of our car.” Henry noticed upon opening the box. “You have bought similar sketch books after she woke up at the hospital so it seems. She starts her day sketching.” He recalled with a smile on his face.

“Open them. These are the reason why I was confident that we are not running out of time, but I guess I was wrong.”

Henry’s eyes widened as he went through the sketch pads inside the box. “Every day like you said, she starts her day drawing something.” Donghae placed the sketch books in front of Henry.

“She draws moments that the two of you shared.”

“This is our house. This is my violin case. This is the park we passed every day when we go to work. Do these sketches mean….?”

“She said these were her dreams.  She kept dreaming about them. That she tried to draw them since she feel like there are so familiar to her.” Donghae told Henry.

 

-x-

 

“Kyuhyun” Zhou Mi tapped Kyuhyun’s shoulder when she saw Amber going out her room.

“Eunhyuk” She called him, since he was the one she knew. “Where’s Donghae? Tell him, I need to talk to the guy that was in my room a while ago. I want to see him in my room alone.”

 

-x-

 

Eunhyuk then knocked at Donghae’s office.

“We are still talking.” Donghae stated.

Eunhyuk opened the door and spoke, “Amber wants to talk to Henry alone in her room.”

 

-x-

 

“Amber, you said you wanted to see me.” Henry spoke, as he entered Amber’s room.

Amber then gave her a piece of paper, on it was a drawing of Henry's face. “That’s you, right?”

“Yes.” He replied, smiling.

“I dreamt about you last night. I always dream about some things I feel like I saw before, I just can’t remember when and where. And last night, the first time I dreamt about someone. You are smiling at me and then I woke up that’s why I was shocked when I opened my eyes earlier, I saw you staring right me. Then after I drew that I feel like I need to see you again, and hug you.” So she did hug him. “I feel like you are important to me and don’t know why.” She spoke under his embrace.

Henry wiped the tears that fallen down her cheeks, his thumb touched her lips then their lips met for that long-awaited kiss.

As their lips parted, Henry heard her say his name.

 

-x-