Knowing What To Do

Changed By You

Henry was drinking his morning coffee on the way to his class, holding his suitcase on the other hand. He was already running late when he heard Minseok’s voice calling him. “Henry! Wait up.”

 

“Minseok, is it okay with if we walk while we talk?”

 

“Sure.” Minseok tried to match the pace of Henry’s feet.

 

“Are you looking for Amber? You know she doesn’t have class today right?” He took another sip of his coffee.

 

“I know that is why I’m here. I wanted to talk to you, to talk about Amber.”

 

“Okay, I am all ears.” He was about to enter his classroom but just decided to stand by the door and continued his conversation with Minseok, wanting to know more about Minseok’s purpose of talking to him at work, without Amber around. “This sounds serious. What about Amber?”

 

Minseok was about to reply when Henry opened the door of the classroom. “Do you guys mind keeping your voices down?” Henry told his students then closed the door.

 

“We have been having arguments lately, little arguments here and there about…things.”

 

“Arguments huh? You won’t be here if they are just little. And I think I am not in the position to get in the middle of you guys.”

 

“It is just that you are close to Amber and I thought that I could get some information about her so I could understand her more. I want to know the things that I think she hasn’t shared to me… yet.”

 

“In the first place, realizing that you don’t know her that well, is I think what the real problem is. You think she is not easily opening up to you. It is normal for person to keep some things to himself right? I know a lot about Amber but I don’t know all about her.”

 

“So what am I supposed to do then?”

 

“If I put myself in your shoes, I don’t need to ask anyone else how to solve my problems my relationship has. And I will not talk about them to other people besides Amber because the only people that could solve them are the two of us. Do you get my point? So I think I can’t help you at all.”

 

What Henry said, made Minseok think of what he should really do. “You already did.” He shook Henry’s hand, grateful.

 

“O…kay. No prob…lem.” Henry confused on what just happened. “What the heck just happened?” He told himself as he entered his classroom. “Sorry class to keep you guys waiting. Pass your homework up front and open your text books on Chapter 10.”

 

-x-

 

“Hey.” He looked at her.

 

“Hey. You wanted to talk about something? What is it?” She gave him a faint smile. There was definitely tension between them.

 

He moved aside for her to sit on the park bench. The moment Amber sat, he started talking. “We are arguing at lot lately.”

 

“It is normal for couples to have arguments, whether how petty or complicated they are.”

 

“But not as much as we do. What is happening is not normal. I realized that I don’t know you at all. I thought I do, but it turned out that it isn’t that much. There is so much about you that I don’t know. There is so much about me that you don’t know.”

 

“It will take some time for us to know more about each other. Again, that is a normal thing between couples.”

 

“I took the initiative to talk to Henry since he has known you longer and better than anyone for me to find a way to know more about you, so I could understand you more.”

 

“But he doesn’t have anything to do with us.”

 

“And that is exactly what he said that made me realize what I should do, what I think we should do. Like what you said, it will take some time to know more about each other but what we know about each other is not enough for us to be in relationship any more, or maybe even in the first place.”

 

“Are you thinking what I am thinking right now? Are we…breaking up?”

 

“Finally, we are agreeing about something. We are not arguing.” He held Amber’s hand.

 

“So this is how it feels like to not argue.”

 

“I really thought I was the guy for you but it turned out that I wasn’t. I don’t know you as much I should. All I wanted is for you to be happy with someone that truly deserve you and know you so well as much as you know him. He is the luckiest guy in world. I envy him already. It will be hard for me to forget about you though.”

 

“It will be hard for me to forget about you too.” She rested her head on his shoulder.

 

He rested his head on hers and still holding her hand. “No regrets,” as he smiled.

 

“No regrets.” Amber grinned as well.

 

The two accepted what happened to their relationship. The relationship ended, without them arguing.

 

-x-

 

“What’s up?” Amber was waiting in front of Henry’s car.

 

“What are you doing here? You don’t have class today.”

 

“Let us have fun tonight just like back in college.”

 

“We did some crazy things back then. I think we outgrown them already. Plus our students could see us at some bar.” He opened the driver’s-side door.

 

“Please.” Amber stood at the passenger side and heard the locking knob being pulled up.

 

“You have a boyfriend to drink with, remember?”

 

“Yet you didn’t stop me from getting inside your car.” She laughed as Henry stepped inside the car.

 

“Where’s Minseok anyway?”

 

“I don’t know. Why would I know where he is?”

 

Henry laughed. “You are his girlfriend. You should know where he is.” He started the car.

 

“He is…not anymore.”

 

“What?” He looked at her. ! He didn’t.” He remembered what happened earlier that day at the university.

 

“He told me that he talked to you. You said something to him that made him decide to end things between us.”

 

“I just gave him an honest opinion if I am in his situation, I won’t ask anyone else about what to do with regards to whatever is happening in the relationship, that if I was him, it should be between you and me, and no one else. I didn’t mean for you guys to break up. I swear.”

 

“He said that I will find a guy that I truly know and knows me so well, someone who truly deserves my love.”

 

“Too early to say this but… is he talking about me?” His thumb pointing at himself, joking, trying to make her smile.

 

“You are definitely full of yourself huh?”

 

“Admit it. Is it me? Right? Me.”

 

“I don’t know.” She shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Too shy to admit that you love me. You can’t resist all of these.” He touched his face, then his chest and arms.

 

“Oh God! Please don’t make me regret coming here. Just drive, please. I really need a drink.”

 

“I am waiting. Come on. Admit it.” His fingers behind his ear.

 

“I hate you.”

 

“Awww, so sweet! I hate you too.” He pinched her cheek.