Another Henber Story - Part 1

Changed By You

 

Henry adjusted his back on the flattest pillow he ever saw in his life, as he finally could rest his broken shoulder due to a Tennis injury earlier today. Sleep was something that he really needed right now. He sighed as his mind slowly drifts off.

 

The nurse immediately helped her as her ankle was now been firmly bandaged.  She immediately fluffed her pillows as she gets ready for her long-awaited sleep. She didn’t have the energy anymore to even thank her nurse. All she wanted is to catch some Z’s. The nurse just left some crutches for her at her bedside, and turn off the lights.

 

Amber slowly stood up from her bed the next morning. She grabbed her crutches, still yawning, and walked towards the comfort room, her eyes half-opened. As she was at the door of the restroom, she bumped into someone’s chest.

 

Upon exiting the restroom, he almost kissed someone’s forehead and just looked at that said person; his mind is still half-asleep just like hers; his hands ruffling through his hair.

 

“Excuse me, I need to pee.” She spoke not even looking at person in front of her, can’t stop herself from yawning again. They moved at the same direction twice.

 

That person holds her by the shoulder. “Stay put.” He spoke as he moved away from her.

 

“There, you can finally pee.” He spoke groggily, walking his bed, tucking himself in.

 

She entered the restroom, avoiding not bumping her broken ankle into anything that would make her curse like there was no tomorrow.

 

She did not even reach her bed and just decided to lie down on the sofa which is nearer that her bed, rested her ankle on the cushions, dropping her crutches on the floor.

 

Amber felt something vibrating on her cheek. “What the…” She spoke half-asleep and noticed that she was lying on a bag this whole time. She opened the bag like it was hers and grabbed the vibrating phone. “Hello?” She greeted, yawning afterwards. “Who is this?” The person on the other line asked. “You called, and you’re asking me who am I.” She wisely replied. “Is Henry there?” He spoke. “Who’s Henry?” She asked and noticed a man sleeping on the other bed. “Oh” She quickly realized. “You’re looking for…Let me wake him up.” She grabbed her crutches, and walked towards the other patient.

 

“Excuse me.” She was still too sleepy to notice she was tapping his cheek with her index finger. The man lifted his head as he rubbed his cheek and saw the short-haired girl.

 

“Yes?” He asked. “Finally, you’re up. Phone,” She passed the object to him. “Hello?” He spoke, as she walked towards her bed, sitting on it, but instantly stood up upon seeing the nurse bringing in some food for them on the table. She didn’t even need to use her crutches to go to the table.

 

“Oh, it’s you.” He spoke again as he realized who was the caller. “What so important that you need to call me at….” He told him as he checked the time on the screen of his phone. “For goodness sake, it’s only 7 in the freaking morning!” He shouted at his friend.

 

“Sir Shim Changmin called last night.” His friend explained.  “But he and I both agreed that it will be sent to him on Friday since his wedding falls on a Sunday. Changmin wants it by?” He asked, now pissed.

Amber just watched him from a far as she continued to eat her breakfast. She ate a spoonful of it, and immediately spitted it out. She carefully examined her so-called breakfast, before taking any bite out of it again and once again ended up spitting it out.

 

“Bring my things here. I’ll finish it here.” Henry instructed the caller, as he saw Amber slowly walking towards his side.

 

Before he could even talk, “Taste this,” Amber said. He looked at her with a confused look. “Just do what I say.” She instructed him, as she fed him a spoonful of their food. As it hit his tongue, he spitted it out instantly. “What was that?” He asked.  

 

“What is going on there?” The caller asked. “Tell your friend to bring food.” Amber told Henry. “Bring what?” The caller spoke as he heard a girl talking. “Put him on speaker.” Amber politely instructed Henry, as he placed the phone in front of them. “That girl from a while ago said what? Henry?” He spoke, now on speaker.

 

“Hello. This is Amber, the one that answered the phone.” She replied, as she watched Henry walking towards the table, checking the other food on the tray. “Don’t even think about eatin…” She immediately laughed as Henry almost vomited. “Are you okay?” She asked him, as he coughed, his hand over his stomach.

 

“Wait a sec,” She told the caller as she slowly walked towards Henry, bringing with her the phone. She patted Henry’s back. “Take it easy, okay?” “Let me talk to him.” Henry grabbed the phone. “Man, bring food, lots of it, food here .” He told his friend. “Thanks” Amber spoke in the background, as the caller bade goodbye.

 

Henry rinsed his mouth in front of the bathroom sink, as Amber said to him, “I told not to try it.” She now stood near the bathroom door, “I can still taste it in my mouth.” He replied, while he held on to his tongue.

 

“Ah man, now my hospital gown is wet.” He spoke, wiping his mouth. “You’re Am…ber? Amber, right? I’m…” “Henry. Your friend told me.” Amber smiled. “What happened to your shoulder?”

 

“I got injured yesterday after playing Tennis.” He explained. “Me” She replied, pointing at her injured ankle. “I was playing basketball and then bam! I twisted my ankle.”

 

“The nurse said I have a strained shoulder. It was just a minor injury.” He narrated. Amber adjusted her ankle. “You’re quite lucky. Me, I have to be in crutches. Those things are really exhausting.” She pointed at them as she now sat in his bed.

 

She picked up her crutches again, flinching in pain. “Let me help you.” Henry spoke, just coming out of the bathroom, his wet hospital gown hanging on his shoulder, rushing to her side.

 

He helped her stood up straight, comfortably placing his hand on Amber’s waist. Amber supported her weight on her Henry’s arm as they walked towards her bed.

 

“Thank you.” She spoke, as averted her eyes, and looked the other way, suddenly cleared . “Oh!” Henry looked at himself. “Sorry about that.” He grabbed his pillow to cover himself up. “There, I am somewhat covered up.” Henry joked, clearing the air between them.

 

“Hey, can I borrow your phone? I just need to make a phone call.” She asked. “Yeah, sure, let me get it for you.” He smiled at her. “Here” He then walked towards his bed.

 

“Hello. Thank goodness you have my phone. I thought I lost it again….I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.” She spoke. “Of course, you can visit me here. See you soon.” She bade goodbye.

 

“Thanks…. Oh, you’re friend is calling.” She said, on the verge of standing up. “No need to stand up. Just throw it to me.” He offered, ready to catch it. She hesitated at first. “You sure?” He just nodded, smiling at her. “Here”, throwing it back to him.

 

“Hello, Amber?” His friend spoke. “This is my phone, and you’re looking for Amber.” Henry spoke back, looking at her. “It’s him again.” She said, smiling. “Put me on speaker.” The caller instructed. Henry rolled his eyes. “Why?” “Just do it!” His friend shouted.

 

“What is he saying?” Amber asked. Henry did what he’s told. “There, happy now?” Henry retorted back. “Hi Amber, how are you feeling?” His friend politely asked, full of concern. “Oh, hello there, it’s you again.” Amber replied. “I’m fine. Thanks for asking.” “Hey, I know you’re grinning like a fool right now.” Henry teased his friend. “I’m not.”

 

“And I’m fine. Thanks for the concern” Henry spoke sarcastically. “Why did you call again?” “What’s your room number?” “Room 114” Henry replied. “Cool. I’m on my way... by the way, Amber, what food do you like me to buy for you?”  The caller asked. Henry once again rolled his eyes. 

 

“Anything,” She replied. “Do you want burgers and milkshakes?” He asked again. Amber laughed. “That would be good.” “Great!” His friendly excitedly answered.

 

“I want a burger too. Just want to say it aloud, in case you think about buying me food as well” Henry retorted. “Blah…Blah…Blah…” His friend teased.

 

-x-

 

“Henry, here are the things you want me to bring.” Someone entered the room. He immediately looked at Amber. “Who is this lovely friend of yours? You must be Amber.” He smiled at her. “Hello” She said to him. “Amber, this is my friend. You don’t need to know his name.” Henry eyed his friend.

 

“Hello, ‘I don’t need to know your name’,” She joked. “Nice one!” Henry cheered.

 

“You’re a hell of a friend, Henry.” He spoke. “Hi Amber, I’m…” He added, approaching her.

 

Henry quickly went to Amber’s side, and pulled his friend away from her. “Your charms won’t work on her.” Henry spoke. “Why are you being protective all of a sudden?” He noticed. Amber just chuckled at Henry and his friend. “I am just being friendly.” Henry tried his very to block his friend’s view of Amber.

 

He was quick enough to slid pass Henry. “I’m Kris, by the way.” He shook her friend, standing beside her. Henry grabbed him by the collar, pulling him away.

 

“Thanks for the food. You may go now.” “Hey, let go me.” Kris shouted at Henry, then smiling at Amber. “Fine, I’ll go.” He spoke as he fixed his shirt. “Goodbye, Amber. Nice to finally meet you!” He smiled at her again.

 

“Hey!” Henry shouted, pushing Daniel out. “I’m going. I’m going.” Kris spoke, waving at Amber again before exiting the room.

 

“Kris’s a sweet talker. Isn’t he?” She noticed, chuckling. “Ignore Kris” Henry insisted.

 

 

-x-

 

“Finally, some decent food” Henry cheered upon seeing the bag on the table. She stepped out of the bed excitedly. She almost fell again.

 

Henry noticed rushing to her side, placing his hand on Amber’s waist, “Take it easy, okay,” ending up standing way too close, their faces are just inches away from each other.

 

Amber stepped back in response. “Sorry, if I startled you, or something.” Henry said shyly, stopping himself not to stare directly at Amber, yet his hand was still on her waist.

 

“You almost fell so…” Henry reasoned. “I should definitely take it easy, huh?” Amber said shyly. She placed her arm over his uninjured shoulder for support so she can regain her balance.

 

 

-x-

 

 

“Dig in!” He offered and she smiled at him. “Which one do you like?” He asked. “We could share. I don’t mind. It’s our food. Suho bought these for us.” She insisted.

 

“Hey, Amber, I brought things you might need… your laptop, your stylus, your graphics tablet, your phone…all inside this bag.” Her friend spoke, as he walked in.

 

“Finally, you’re here.” Amber spoke, sipping her shake. “Hey, be careful with that” Amber shouted, as her friend just mindlessly dropped the bag on the floor, catching his breath, “Not even a thank you….Oh!” pausing upon seeing Henry. “Am I interrupting something?” He eyed Henry.

 

“Food!” He excitedly spoke, grabbing some fries from Amber’s plate. “Hey! Buy your own!” She pushed him aside, as she took a bite of her burger. “Just getting a fry,” Her friend spoke, still chewing. “Don’t you know it’s really tiring getting all your things up here?”

 

“Can I have some fries? I’m all out” She asked Henry, ignoring her friend. “Definitely! Can I have some of your shake?” “Yeah” He gave her the rest of his fries, while Amber handed him her drink. He instantly drank it.

 

Her friend narrowed his eyes, eyeing them both. “Did he just drink your…? Did you just eat…?” Her friend continued to ponder.

 

“Fine, Amber, if you don’t want to share, I will ask…” He shifted his attention to Henry. “You’re…?” He pointed at Henry. “Henry” he replied, still drinking Amber’s shake. “I will ask Henry if he could give some of his.” He replied. “I’m Suho by the way,” He introduced himself.

 

“Suho, stop bugging Henry!” Amber complained. “Here’s some money for food, and leave!”

 

“Just a sec,” Suho spoke while taking a handful of fries from Amber’s plate. “I said, leave!” She shouted, hitting JB’s hand. “Fine! Thanks for the money, Babe” he smiled at her, pinching her cheek. “I’m not your Babe” She shouted at her, and threw at him one of the empty cups of milkshake.

 

“Bye Henry!” waving at him, as he successfully avoided the said empty cup, sticking his tongue out at Amber. “Nice shirt by the way.” He complemented Henry. “Take care, Babe” He teased Amber once more.

 

-x-

 

“Now that’s what you call food” Amber commented. “I’m so full.” Henry remarked, as he walk towards the bathroom. He almost tripped as his foot dumped the bag that Suho brought. “Sorry about that” She shakily stood up from sit. “No biggie! Where do you want me to put it?” He offered. “You don’t need to carry it for me. You might hurt your shoulder” She insisted.

 

-x-

 

They were preoccupied in what they were doing. Henry set up his small electric piano and his laptop. He was busy sorting some music sheets that needed revision.

 

He was too immersed on what he was doing yet never failed looked at her from time to time, as her eyebrows furrowed for some reason while scribbled something on her graphics tablet.

 

Suddenly she heard a familiar tune. “Did you just played the tune of Sidewalk by Story of the Year?” She asked, looking at him. “You’re too serious. I felt the need to play something for you. You’re like a model for motivational posters you hang on offices.” He reasoned out, smiling at her, hoping she won’t be mad at him.

 

“I like you. You’re weird.” She replied, smiling back at him. “I could play a different song, if you want.” He suggested. “Any song you want,” She insisted. Henry was excited already his all-time favorite song, Baby, when she said “as long as it is a Justin Bieber song” She teased, pointed her finger at him, as she gave him her best smile. At that, he pouted at her, and started playing Baby by Justin Bieber.

 

“I could safely say you are a musician, or you’re just a creep who likes listen to Bieber songs.” She teased again. “I am a composer actually, that’s the correct term for my profession. And I am actually very busy, as you can see.” He spoke as he showed his own messy pile of music sheets.

 

“I got distracted, that’s all.” He smiled at her. “Well, you got a very beautiful distraction then.” She added. “I have indeed,” as he played the chorus of Baby, at that she threw crumpled papers at him, as he also threw some back of his at her. “Very funny Henry! Get back to work!” She shouted at him, laughing.

 

-x-

 

“Yes!” Amber delightedly shouted. “He got me a bag of liquorice!” “Hey, Henry, catch!” She spoke. “Thanks” as he continued what he was doing, and chewing some liquorice.

 

She occasionally looked at Henry from the corner of her eye, as she continued to draw. “Hmm… He looks like a hamster.” She didn’t even notice that she was smiling while looking at him.

 

“What’s so funny?” Henry asked. “Nothing” She spoke, forcing herself not to smile, grabbing some pen and paper, acting all busy again.

 

She tried her best not for Henry to notice what she was doing. “Need some help?” He offered. “Nah” She smiled at him, as she continued on drawing.

 

A paper airplane flew above his bed. He caught it, noticing something, a drawing of a kid, with “Guess who this is?” written below it. The kid was sitting on a bed, wearing nothing but shorts like he was and a cap with the letter H on it, looking all busy, playing the piano.

 

“Is this me?” He wrote back, folding it again, watched as it flew back to Amber. “I don’t know” She wrote in reply, folding it, throwing it to him again. He looked back at her, after he read her reply. She was acting like nothing just happened. Amber just heard him chuckled. She forced herself to keep a straight face.