Just Say Please

Changed By You

“Henry Lau!” Sungmin shouted from the living room.

A 6 year old Henry placed his head between the widely-spaced banisters and smiled at his father, hoping that his cuteness would help him this time.

“What did I tell you about leaving your things here in the middle of the living room?” His father looked at him, still standing near the bannister. “Come down here and get them.”

A pouting Henry went downstairs and grabbed his things.

“Have you taken a bath yet since you arrived from school?” Sungmin asked his son, patting Henry’s head.

Henry again just smiled at his father, and finally Sungmin smiled back at him. “Not yet” Henry ran towards the stairs for he knew his father would again convince him to take a bath. And everyone knows that he hates taking a bath.

“Take a bath or at least take a quick shower.” Sungmin told his son. “Sunny and Amber, Yoona’s daughter will arrive soon before dinner.”

“Mom and Amber?” Henry asked.

“Yes. Amber will be staying with us for a few days since Yoona would be out of the country for quite some time. And Jonghyun, you know the guitarist of the band I listened to, has to attend a music festival abroad."

“So go! Do you want your mother and Amber see you like that?”

“Fine! But I don’t know this Amber you are talking about. Why would she care if I didn’t take a bath?” Henry told his father as he walked towards his room.

 

-x-

 

“Henry, dinner” Sunny called her son, standing at the foot of the stairs.

“Oh, Mom is here.” He thought.

“Wow, you cooked my favorite!” Henry’s eyes widened as he saw a bowl of spaghetti being placed by his father on the table.

Henry then heard a girl’s voice coming from the kitchen, helping Sunny carry the spoons, forks and napkins. He just looked at the girl, in a dress, hair tied in a messy ponytail, humming a familiar tune.

 “Let me help you with that.” He told the little girl, taking the spoons and forks she was holding.

“Thanks.” She smiled at him, and skipped to towards the dining table, continued on humming.

Sungmin then witnessed Henry pulling the little girl’s chair for her.

“Sunny, look” He whispered. “Henry’s helping Amber”

“You smell like oranges. I like oranges.” Amber randomly told Henry, as he helped her to her seat.

“That’s the scent of my soap.” He mentioned.

“Wow, my son actually took a bath.” Sunny complemented his son as she and Sungmin arrived at the dining table.

“After I convinced him to take a bath” Sungmin ruffled Henry’s already messed up hair. And Amber chuckled as she saw Henry pouting.

 

-x-

 

“Are you going to play video games all day?” Amber sat beside Henry at the sofa.

“Yes. Do you want to play with me? Here.” He offered the second joystick to Amber.

“What are we playing?” Amber asked.

“This game.” Henry set up her joystick for her, then pointed at the television.

“Cool. I love that game.” Amber then hummed the theme song of the said game as they started playing.

 

-x-

 

“At least go outside and play.” Sunny convinced her son after noticing that they were playing for hours now.

“But Mom, we are still playing video games.” Henry reasoned.

“You could play basketball outside.” Sunny suggested.

Amber paused the game and looked at Sunny. “Basketball? Let’s play basketball instead.” She was already at the door. “Please”

“Okay” Henry immediately agreed.

Sunny watched his son and his new found friend playing outside. “That was weird.”

 “What’s weird?” Sungmin asked.

“Henry just agreed when Amber wanted to play outside instead. He didn’t even complain. He just agreed.”

“Then Yoona should let us babysit Amber from now on. She is a good influence on our son.” Sungmin commented.

“She’s even better than him in basketball. And she just turned four. And Henry will be seven soon.” Sunny joked, and they saw Amber stuck her tongue at Henry.

 

-x-

 

“Well, that was fun.” Henry lied at the sofa, and rested there for a while.

“Henry, now that you’ve rested. Go take a bath.”

“I am still going to play outside. And it’s way too early to take a bath. Can I just wash up?” Henry said.

“Come here, Amber. Here’s your towel and change of clothes.” Sunny directed her towards the other bathroom.

“Okay.” She smiled at Sunny, skipping towards the bathroom.

Henry still didn’t step away from the couch.

“Henry” Sunny looked at him.

“Ten more minutes.” Henry pleaded.

“Henry, please take a bath.” Amber told him as she closed the door of the bathroom.

“Okay.” Henry went towards the other bathroom.

“Sungmin and I really need to learn how she does that.” Sunny told herself.

Amber once again opened the door of the bathroom, and shouted, “And brush your teeth too.”

“Oh. Okay. I will.” Henry shouted back from the other bathroom upstairs.

“Ms. Sunny, all you need is to say please.” She smiled, and closed the door.

 

-x-