Of Doing Some Other Stuff (In the Future) Part 2

Changed By You

An update after 2 months. Sadly, I have missed posting on the anniversary of Changed By You (CBY). I am making up for it by updating. I have been busy writing for another pairing. Not real life pairing though. A TV pairing this time. A f/f pairing. So I have been neglecting Henber. I am consumed of this TV series as of the moment.  

Another fic with 2424 words. If you cannot remember the name of this fic - call it 2424 for short. I am planning for 2424 to have at least three and a maximum of five parts, depends on my time to end CBY. And will, hopefully, start a new one. A word prompt series. I want to interact with shippers. So kindly leave a prompt or prompts (if you are feeling generous) on the comment section below. The more prompts the better of course so I could start writing them soon. 

Follow me on twitter. You can leave prompts there too and you can talk to me there as well. I really want to interact with fellow shippers. Username: @d_laucm. Can't link the username cos I am lazy af. And actually I have tweeted about this word prompt plan, and it got ignored. I felt discouraged on continuing with this plan but I have changed my mind about it. And instead, just place a shout-out or reminder of sorts here.


 


 

The light from his phone was visible on his face. He was at his dim-lighted bathroom, hours after their taco night. 

He quickly typed when he saw he definitely forgot what he supposed to buy at the supermarket yesterday. Exited his messenger midway so he could make a note on his phone to make a list next time alongside other lists he supposed to do. “I really need to get my together.” When he started to smell what just went out of him. He scrunched up his nose. “Wow.” He just decided to call a particular roomie. Definitely this would be a funny story they could laugh about later. 

“Hey” when he knew Amber groggily picked up. 

“Henry?” checking the time on her phone; it was past midnight. “What on Earth would be the reason you’re calling at this ungodly hour? You better have a good reason.” 

“Well, I need your help. Badly.” 

He knew she jolted up as quickly as she could. He couldn’t hear any sleepiness in her voice anymore. 

“Oh my God. Where are you now?” Her phone squeezed between her shoulder and cheek as she searched for her jacket, reaching out for it; an arm already slid into one of the arm holes. 

“I’m--actually at home.” 

Amber stood still. A hand grabbing her phone now. “Is this some sort of joke?” Slowly getting irritated as she yawned. 

“I really need your help.” 

“You better hide, Henry. You better--” She rushed towards his room and a smell welcomed her. “Clean your room! What is that smell?” Her shout was heard from the hallway. She was looking for the culprit that ruined her precious sleep. 

“I know. I know.” A voice coming from her phone that was not near her ear. “Can you do me a big favor and share some of your tissue paper rolls to your best bud here. Help a friend out. Please. Pretty please.” 

Now overly dressed for tonight, with a leather jacket on, she walked towards her bathroom cabinet and grabbed a roll. 

“Love you!” He smiled widely even if Amber could not see it.

“Shut up!” She replied together with an eye roll. She ended the phone call and proceeded to walk towards Henry’s current location. 

Immediately pinching her nose, “Here you go?” She knew Henry does not lock his bathroom door because he was too lazy to fix the faulty lock on the knob. A hand was seen extending its reach by the door frame. “What the--we both ate the same thing, Henry.” 

“I got a weak stomach okay.” 

“Taco night will be cancelled indefinitely. For both our sakes” Her hand still waving and waiting for him to reach it. “Ugh. No use! Here, catch!” 

“Got it! Whoa!” Almost dropping his phone inside the toilet, “Thanks! You’re the best!” 

“Do not call me ever again for things like this!” She shouted as she walked towards her room. 

“Love you!” 

“Yeah. Yeah. Whatever.”

A bedroom door was slammed and her middle finger is raised that was meant for her roommate. She plopped on her bed; her scream muffled by her pillow. 

//

Walking towards the kitchen with heavy feet, in his sweatpants, went straight to their shared refrigerator. The chilly air coming from the open refrigerator made him cough, “Oh, orange juice. Yes!” Eyes almost closed, overjoyed by a simple beverage. Savoring the drink. It was actually Amber’s but he was sure she would not mind if he drinks a gulp or two (or three). 

Almost choked when he noticed someone who was not Amber sitting on their shared coach. He covered himself with his free arm, almost hid behind the open door. “Hi” he awkwardly spoke.

“What were you looking at?” Two other girls were now at their living room coming from Amber’s room. “More like who are you looking at?” (He later found out that this was Victoria.)

“You must be Henry. Amber told us a lot about you.” (This was Luna.)

“A--a lot?” He closed the refrigerator door, placed the carton on the counter top. Both arms now covering himself.

(Krystal was her name, raised an eyebrow with a wicked smirk.) “A lot.” sending a shiver down Henry’s spine. 

Amber joined the girls and noticed Henry drank from the carton. “Ugh. How many times we talked about this? No drinking from the carton. Same goes with the milk.” She went to grab one of the tall glasses from the cabinet, handing it over to him, glaring at him when he didn’t get it from her thus placing it beside the carton.

“So this is a normal sight already for you, Amber.”

Amber shifted her attention from Henry to Krystal. “What? Him drinking from the juice carton?” 

“No. This.” Victoria was the one moving her index finger in a circular motion at Henry. 

“Oh. Pfft. It is not big of a deal if he looks like this most of the time. As if it bothers me.” She poured a glass of orange juice to give to Henry. “Do not be such a brat. Take the damn glass.”

“Because you like what you are seeing.” Luna teased Amber. 

“Oh please. I have seen better bodies than that.” Still insisting on Henry to get the glass from her. Though had chances on multiple occasions to glance (briefly, she would insist on that term) at her roommate’s nice physique. It was a nice view to see everyday. (She would never say that out loud.)

“I was talking about how good looking your roommate is.” 

Amber almost dropped the glass, and Henry choked on nothing. The other girls smirked at the two. 

“Anyways, we need to get going.” Amber put down the glass, grabbed her keys and opened the door for her friends. “Chop. Chop.” 

“Whatever you say, Ms. I’m gonna change the topic 'cause I got caught.” Krystal was the first one to exit the apartment. 

“Hope to see you again soon, ladies.” Henry flashed his charming winning smile at the girls. 

“Shut up, Henry.” 

“Someone’s jealous.” Victoria wiggled her eyebrows at Amber. 

“As if.” Amber made a disgusted face. (She was. Just a bit though. Shhh.) 

// 

He went to his third favorite room in their shared apartment (their home?). And saw the pyramid of tissue rolls with a note - “I will throw all your clothes out if you call me again in the middle of the night to get you these. And you’re welcome, bud.”

He proceeded with his business with a proud smile on his face. That Amber cares about him on her little ways. Though she got irritated easily, and more than usual now. Dropping the smile, and furrowed his eyebrows, he just realized something and jot down a monthly reminder on the calendar on his phone with a “Don't get her mad. Danger. Danger.” 

//

“Here.” Henry slid a chocolate bar to his roomie. 

Amber was trying to cook. Take note on the trying part. Cooking was more of his forte. 

“What is this for? What do you want? What is the catch?” 

“No catch. Just apologizing for disturbing you the other night. Thanks for the TPs. I figured you might like some chocolate.”

“Oooh. Thanks!” Grinning at him. “Do you mind opening the wrapper for me? Let’s have a taste.” 

“Sure. Anything for you.” He was being on her good side especially now. He roughly estimated the dates that her mood swings occur. (He was conducting his little experiment where she just might be a hot-tempered person naturally or it is her time of the month.) It did not stop him from winking afterwards. 

“Would it ruin our dinner though?” He added. 

She glared at him. 

“I am opening it. See. I am opening it for you.” 

“Much better.” As she continued to chop the vegetables. 

“Do you want me to feed you a piece?” 

They were getting for comfortable around each other now. 

Her heart skipped. Henry’s as well.

Looking at him briefly to think about the kind offer. “Yeah. Sure. Why not?” 

As she chewed the piece, he saw Henry getting a piece for himself. 

“Hold up. Did I told you to have one?” A knife pointed at his direction. (She was joking of course.) 

Henry put it back down. Scared. She has a weird sense of humor. 

“Oh ! Sorry. I was just kidding. Go ahead. Eat.” Putting down the knife. 

//

It was her day off but she still woke up early. She planned to ride her bike to the nearest park by their building which was upon checking her map app on her phone, thirty to thirty-five minutes away. 

She was rubbing her eyes when almost tripped on a shirt. “Henry!” She called for her flatmate. She sighed to calm her nerves down, starting to pick up the mess Henry made. 

She decided to put them inside (clean) garbage bags so if he never picked the bags up after 24-hours, she would so ready to throw them away. Rules are rules. They are meant to be followed. And she is a stickler for rules. 

She noticed some of the clothes were clean, and some weren’t. “So ing gross, dude.” She shook her head. She could not believe she was living with this man. (And she found out a month after she moved in that Henry just uses a face towel to clean himself sometimes. She was at loss for words when she found out because how come he does not smell at all? He smells...normal. Was he using some kind of magical face towel? Does he spray himself with some out-worldly body spray? If so, why is he not sharing?) 

It was her laundry day as well. She was carrying a basket and a bag of dirty clothes to bring to the building laundry area-slash-room at their apartment’s basement. She was about to leave when she stared at the bag of dirty clothes that she just gathered earlier that morning. She tapped her finger on the basket as she contemplated. “Ugh. Fine. Why am I being too good to him?” As she held the bags over her shoulder and kept the basket in place by the waist. “I ain't making two trips for these. Nope.” 

// 

He arrived home, hoping Amber did not notice (of course she would notice 'cause she is not blind but he could still hope, right?). “And she did.” He picked up the garbage bag placed beside the coach, checked its contents. There were missing clothes. 

He carried the bag to his room, ready to empty it on his bed with the intention of “folding” (it has quotation 'cause he has his own definition of folding, meaning balling it up and throw them haphazardly inside his cabinet.) them when neatly newly washed folded clothes were on his bed. 

“Bought a new laundry detergent and fabric softener bottle to try if these will ruin my clothes, and had extra time on my hands so why not include yours. And you’re welcome. 

PS. Try a different brand of chocolates this time. I also love boba teas and dried fruits like mangoes even if I am allergic to them. Yolo. Just getting that info out there.” 

//

“Got tix for a basketball game this Saturday. Wanna join?” A text message she received in a middle of a meeting. 

Bored out of her mind, this was a nice distraction, “Eagles vs?” 

“Your favorite team of course.” with a smirk emoji.

She raised her eyebrows as she typed, “How did you know?” with a thinking emoji. 

“Secret.” Together with an emoji with a zipped lips. 

She replied with a rolling eyes emoji. 

“Can't wait.” 

“Me too.” 

// 

Victoria was flipping the channels on their TV on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

It was too hot for everyone to move that day. Luna was resting her head on Victoria’s lap. Krystal was on the phone with their new friend, Sulli. 

“Amber is on TV? Channel 14.” Sulli was watching the game. 

“Vic, pass me the remote.” Krystal was waiting for the remote to be handed over to her. 

“I am still using it.” Victoria held onto the remote. 

“Yeah. It is her. Amber is at the game today.” Sulli remembered and recognized Amber. Amber was cheering. “With a guy. Is she on a date?”

“Channel 14. It’s Amber.” 

“On the sport channel?” Victoria immediately transferred the channel. 

“And she’s with the hottie roomie.” Luna’s full attention was on what they were watching. 

“The kiss cam!” The four girls excitedly spoke.

“They are so awkward.” Krystal was laughing. She couldn’t wait to tease Amber later (or forever). 

The other two were waiting on what Henry and Amber would do. And cheered along with the audience when they kissed.

While Krystal laughed even more. “Oh my God! They kissed!” And proceeded in talking about whatever she and Sulli were gossipping about. 

//

Henry whispered something to Amber. She had her full attention to him, even leaned her ear closer to him with a smile on her face. When the unexpected happened. 

People were suddenly cheering. The old couple beside them were looking up on the big screen. Amber noticed, tapping Henry's back. 

“The lovebirds are in their own world. Sorry to disturb you guys. But you know what you gotta do.” The announcer and audience cheers were louder now, clapping as well.

The two looked at each other. Trying not to laugh. Amber biting her lower lip; Henry being all awkward all of a sudden, rubbing the back of his neck. 

“Go ahead and kiss your girlfriend.” The grandpa patted Henry’s arm. The grandma he was with smiled at Amber. 

Henry and Amber stared at each other briefly and shrugged. 

He pointed at him then toward her repeatedly. 

The audience and the announcers cheered even louder. 

They were being peer-pressured by everyone. They didn’t noticed they were leaning in. They just wanted to whisper to each other on how they would approach this situation. And it happened. Their lips touched and both could taste the soda they were sharing earlier. 

And the crowd roared. 

“Thanks for being a good sport. You got me worried there that you two are siblings but noooo. And we are--” And the camera was not focused on them anymore. 

They couldn’t focused anymore to what the announcer were saying. Hearts were both raising; internally screaming, “What the hell just happened?” 

// 

“So who have bet 5 months, three weeks?” Victoria grabbed her wallet from her bag.

“We are going to have drinks tonight.” Krystal was waving the money she won fair and square.

//